* * * * * 1 votes

XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

#1081 bubbafett4hire   Drunkin Pirate CAGiversary!   308 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

bubbafett4hire

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:09 AM

I've got kind of an obvious question that I'm surprised hasn't come up (at least I haven't seen it). My 360 finally red ringed on me today. So, I submitted my repair order for my coffin, and then towel tricked my console because I really wanted to play some Rock Band 2.

But I was wondering, if it doesn't red ring again, before I receive my coffin, and send it out, will they even investigate it or just send it right back to me? I mean, we have what, 20 days after we receive the coffin to get it to Microsoft? I guess I'd just have to play the hell out of it and hope it does it again right? Or is it pretty much a given that once your system sees the rrod, even towel tricking it won't give it very long?

not saying that its a smart idea but if you want to make sure it rrod's when it goes in for repair towel trick again while playing it basically until it does rrod. not trying to give you a wise ass response but after reading posts on here about people sending them back and then them rroding a day or 2 later..it wouldn't hurt. and it wouldn't surprise me if they did just plug it and ok "Ok it works send it back" without really looking at them

I am Sony's SQL. The nasty strangers touch me inappropriately because Sony is too busy selling overpriced products to buy me clothes.

#1082 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16435 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:13 AM

not saying that its a smart idea but if you want to make sure it rrod's when it goes in for repair towel trick again while playing it basically until it does rrod. not trying to give you a wise ass response but after reading posts on here about people sending them back and then them rroding a day or 2 later..it wouldn't hurt. and it wouldn't surprise me if they did just plug it and ok "Ok it works send it back" without really looking at them

Hey, thanks man. Not a wise ass response at all. I had actually wondered if straight up overheating would bring on the RRoD again. I know it's a bit frowned upon to try to get your system to red ring, but I also suspect that if for whatever ungodly reason, it booted up the first time M$ turned it on, they'd say "works fine!" and send it right back. In that regard, I definitely want to make sure it's good and broken when I send it in, haha.

It's just tough trying to walk that line between not having a 360 to play, and waiting on my coffin to get here. And I know I don't want to go out and buy a new one. Luckily, I still have my PS3 and Wii, but dammit, why did this happen right when the good fall games are starting to roll out?! Thanks for the advice though. I appreciate it.

#1083 TheSmokingPun  

TheSmokingPun

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:24 PM

2 weeks after getting it back and it already RRoD'ed again, I'm quickly starting to lose faith.

#1084 Mechafenris   Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart CAGiversary!   599 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Mechafenris

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:34 AM

2 weeks after getting it back and it already RRoD'ed again, I'm quickly starting to lose faith.

Sorry to hear that. I noticed after my one-day death console, I got a significantly newer one as my 3rd console. So, there's that going for it. (Although it's not really a restorative observation, eh?)

"Don't make me use my stuff on ya, baby."

#1085 David Hibiki   Well then... CAGiversary!   9859 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:08 AM

Try having a RROD in less then a hour/right out of repair box.
It happended to one my friends here. I would say go buy a PS3, but he already has one.

I'm just glad for my PS2/other gaming systems when it happens. I put in over 80+ hours into Persona 3 thanks to the RROD. Helps me catchup with my back log so I don't mind it is as much.

I only get pissed when I get a brand new game only to turn on to RROD, or a few days before a big game comes out... like Gears of War 2.

It's just that simple.

#1086 von551   Place Is Dead Anyways... CAGiversary!   581 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:31 AM

well, i sent my second coffin out today, almost a year to the day exactly as last time. my new elite gives me the one red eye Error 74, what a horribly built machine. when it works, it's great, but it's never smooth, pretty annoying.
Posted Image

#1087 Aleins4u   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   25 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Aleins4u

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:38 AM

Mine RR'd the first time I plugged it back in after sending it off. Very depressing...on the bright side, I'll get another month of Live for free...

#1088 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   13639 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:41 AM

I forgot to call and complain about not receiving my month card with my console. :l

#1089 Droogs   $$$$$$$$$ CAGiversary!   1748 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:19 PM

SO my third system just died...I called 4myxbox and they'll repair it for free once again.

Did they change something in the way you return the system? They said they were just sending me a shipping label and I had to provide my own box. Do they not senda coffin anymore or am I the first person to get this kind of treatment?

#1090 pogipinoy27   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1021 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

pogipinoy27

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:50 PM

SO my third system just died...I called 4myxbox and they'll repair it for free once again.

Did they change something in the way you return the system? They said they were just sending me a shipping label and I had to provide my own box. Do they not senda coffin anymore or am I the first person to get this kind of treatment?

I think that's standard now. I had to wait a week and call C/S three times before I got a label -_-

Anyway, I got my 360 back yesterday. I sent a falcon and received a falcon so I'm thankful for that. The manufacture date was December 07 so I technically got a "newer" xbox too. I only played about 10 minutes yesterday but it seems to run about as noisy as my previous one. Oh well.

Here's hoping that it doesn't RROD within a month :bomb:
Posted Image
Posted Image

"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul. "
-Johannes Sebastian Bach

#1091 lmz00   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2522 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:38 PM

Got "my" (someone else's fixed) console back yesterday.

#1092 lmz00   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2522 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:34 PM

See post #1104.

Edited by lmz00, 29 September 2008 - 04:57 AM.

#1093 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17240 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:27 AM

uh oh.

This is the second time tonight that my 360 locked up on me.

During my second run thru the force unleashed, about a few seconds after one of my friends logs in, I get a lock up. :O

I smell a red ring or hard drive crash coming.

This is my *replacement* unit from MS I got back in April of this year, so my 3 months of warranty is up.

I could technically afford an elite but will just go thru the normal repair process to set an example here. I know MS is gonna give me SoL but we will see.

#1094 von551   Place Is Dead Anyways... CAGiversary!   581 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:45 AM

uh oh.

This is the second time tonight that my 360 locked up on me.

During my second run thru the force unleashed, about a few seconds after one of my friends logs in, I get a lock up. :O

I smell a red ring or hard drive crash coming.

This is my *replacement* unit from MS I got back in April of this year, so my 3 months of warranty is up.

I could technically afford an elite but will just go thru the normal repair process to set an example here. I know MS is gonna give me SoL but we will see.

yeah, get this. I finally ponied up and bought an elite to replace my once-repaired '06 360 20gb. I wanted more space and hdmi. I sell my 20gb to a buddy at work for $200 and in two days it red rings on him! it red ringed the first time 11 months after i bought it, now it red ringed 11 months after it's "repair". weird. i gave him the $ back and sent it to MS and I'll just sell it on craigslist. the kicker is that I always get the E74 error on my new elite. sometimes i have to start it ten times to get it up and running. my 20gb is on the way back to me, i think i'll lie to MS that my elite red ringed so they can fix it and i don't have to pay $100. I'm thinking of soon too, since all the holiday games are a comin'.
Posted Image

#1095 lmz00   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2522 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:56 AM

So I figured out that the one they sent me was built on 2008-01-08, and that my old one (launch Elite) was a Zephyr. Will anything bad happen if I keep using my Zephyr's power supply with the new Falcon?

#1096 artego   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   204 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:56 PM

Sent it in, 2 days turnaround after taking a week to arrive at the center, and now it's on its way back?

Is that normal? Did they just swap consoles and shipped it back? They said they'd test and replace it since it was the second time so I expected longer than 2 days...

#1097 Friend of Sonic   Toneman.org coming soon.. CAGiversary!   10041 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Friend of Sonic

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:55 PM

Sent it in, 2 days turnaround after taking a week to arrive at the center, and now it's on its way back?

Is that normal? Did they just swap consoles and shipped it back? They said they'd test and replace it since it was the second time so I expected longer than 2 days...

Well, if it's any comfort it took them two days to repair my console (I received my console, which I'm figuring is the case since it had my serial number on it)
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#1098 artego   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   204 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:04 AM

Was kinda hoping for one of the newer models instead of another Xenon though, and the quick repair time feels like they just swapped my old one with another refurbished Xenon.

#1099 NegativeZero   CAGtastic! CAGiversary!   1377 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

NegativeZero

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:11 PM

I got my Elite about Aug of 2007. The warranty is out but it red ringed on 9/23 (night of bungie update) shipped out my console the next day and system was shipped back to me on 9/30. Is there anyway for me to tell whether or not I've got Jasper or Falcon without opening the system?

I only shipped the console so I've got my original power supply. If they updated the system to Falcon or Jasper (not sure what I had in the first place), wouldn't they need to send me a new power supply as well?

http://zerofigures.wordpress.com

"He should have those magic b!tches all over his jock" - CheapyD, CagCast #168

#1100 DaftPunkFan37   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   850 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

DaftPunkFan37

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:37 PM

My Xbox is pretty funky.

It's a 20GB model, I assume no Falcon chip.

When I turn it on before I turn on my TV or I don't have it on the right video setting, I get RROD'd (this happened about a month after I bought it). However, when I turn it to the right video setting, I don't get the RROD, but it doesn't process the video to my screen. I then have to turn it off and then back on to get it to work.

So far, so good! Kinda pissed that I already got RROD'd. It has about 6 inches from the corner its in, and it is not covered by anything, so it's pretty interesting to me it's so picky like that.

Maybe it's the TV, as it doesn't like my SNES either..
the mau5 sounds like thisssssssss
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1101 BackInBlack  

BackInBlack

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:32 PM

So the repair center received my 360 today, is there a reason my console is un registered and my service number doesn't work now?

card.png

#1102 Goodeye   Resident Halo nerd CAGiversary!   322 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:48 PM

Not sure my thoughts would be that maybe your getting a new one... (new or new to you)
[FONT="]Posted ImagePosted Image

[/FONT]

#1103 BackInBlack  

BackInBlack

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:50 AM

Not sure my thoughts would be that maybe your getting a new one... (new or new to you)

It looks like my information came back, it was very odd.

card.png

#1104 mercilessming   Call upon Dyzan CAGiversary!   721 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

mercilessming

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:47 PM

Just got my Fixed Xbox 360 back yesterday. My original retail purchase was a September -ish 2007 manufactured date Falcon with 175watt power supply. My "newly" refurbished is a 12/11/2007 manufactured date so I am happy as one can be with that aspect. And Getting my xbox yesterday was exactly 13 days from when I took it to UPS, so I am happy with that aspect as well. Overall the Microsoft Xbox 360 is still my favorite console in 25 or years of playing consoles, I only wished it hadn't broke to begin but that is just a known factor and Microsoft has been speedy in fixing the problem.

So Far I have spent about 6 hours straight playing with some friends playing Street Fighter, Fight Night and PURE without problems, I keep my fingers and toes crossed ha ha ha ha.
Do you feel the need to prove you have Online Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder (a.k.a. The Grammar Nazi) ????

#1105 ZerotypeX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3824 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:07 PM

My 360 died today, was trying out the Mega Man 9 demo and watching the intro and all of the sudden there is a high pitch screech and a little graphic glitch (the 360 is frozen and has done this before and a usual restart fixes it). Restart it and what do you know....3 red rings showed up.

Anyway, had a quick question, I have not registered my 360 yet. Should I register now and then call or should I just call with out registering it. I got it on ebay in Aug 06, pretty sure I am still under warranty for the rrod.

--edit--

never mind registering online. it seems there is something wrong with the system. on the phone with a rep right now

Edited by ZerotypeX, 03 October 2008 - 04:20 PM.

Currently Playing:
with myself

Posted Image

#1106 Nelo Ice   Same CAGiversary!   3823 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:09 PM

just got the E74 error damnit at least i have the BB warranty

#1107 David Hibiki   Well then... CAGiversary!   9859 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:17 PM

Just a heads up, if your 360 has been "freezing" only when trying to sign into Live - delete the PES demo/any demos you recently downloaded. I had to recover my gamertag and then delete the demo as well other stuff to clear this problem. You'll notice when your ethernet is unplugged or your not connected to Live you won't have this problem. Hopefully MS is aware of the demo issue/other things that are causing this issue and they'll either pull the demo or issue some sort of "patch" in the future.

I posted this in the general thread incase anyone is having the same problem.

http://forums.xbox.c...5/ShowPost.aspx

It's just that simple.

#1108 Perfect*Ending   Cute Kelly CAGiversary!   2307 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Perfect*Ending

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:41 AM

Just wondering, are there reports of the 60GB getting RRoD?

A friend is looking to buy the 60GB. Does it have the new chip?
Posted Image
Best in the World!

New Acronyms:
MSRP = Many Stupid Ridiculous Prices
SAD = Shitty Ass Deal

If you have a PS3, but are not gamesharing, you're doing it wrong.
Get a $60 game on day one for as low as $10?! :hot:
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=339425

#1109 NegativeZero   CAGtastic! CAGiversary!   1377 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

NegativeZero

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

Just wondering, are there reports of the 60GB getting RRoD?

A friend is looking to buy the 60GB. Does it have the new chip?

I don't think the GB matter, I had a 120GB Elite and it happened to me so it depends on the guts (motherboard chips) i guess.

http://zerofigures.wordpress.com

"He should have those magic b!tches all over his jock" - CheapyD, CagCast #168

#1110 bubbafett4hire   Drunkin Pirate CAGiversary!   308 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

bubbafett4hire

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:24 PM

I will say this much sometimes you can get lucky and never have problem with the RROD , the bottom is a current poll going on at another website showing off people who got the RROD and what type of revision board they have. the poll has only been going for a week or 2 but still interesting results so far and for the most part shows no motherboard revision is %100 RROD free.

yes, Xenon (v1) [ 586 ] Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image [44.43%]
yes, Zephyr (v2) [ 100 ] Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image [7.58%]
yes, Falcon (v3) [ 61 ] Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image [4.62%]
yes, Opus (v3.1) [ 17 ] Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image [1.29%]
yes, unknown version [ 139 ] Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image [10.54%]
no [ 416 ] Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image [31.54%]

I am Sony's SQL. The nasty strangers touch me inappropriately because Sony is too busy selling overpriced products to buy me clothes.