* * * * * 1 votes

XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

#2731 Ruahrc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1134 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:26 AM

Sigh. Playing some RDR today and it froze while loading. Turned it off and on again and I see the 3 red lights. At least it didn't do it while saving and corrupt my game. I'm at like 98% complete on the undead expansion.

Now the question is do I repair it under warranty or go get a 360 slim? Right now I have a Jasper (it's almost exactly a year old) and a 60GB HD. I've been wanting more HD space as I get more games but never wanted to pay for the 120 or 250GB HD since the release of the slim. I also have $60 or so in store credit for Gamestop when I traded in some tuff, which would at least give me a discount on a new slim.

But it's still cheaper to just get mine repaired.

Have to say I'm a but surprised. I never thought it'd die within a year but also I guess I have been using it a lot more than I originally thought I would.

P.S. I have a question. I have all my stuff saved on the HD, but since I bought an Arcade unit with internal memory, I set up my Xbox ID on the internal memory instead of the HD (because I purchased the HD after my xbox). If I can't get the console to boot again, will I lose whatever is on the internal memory? (mostly gamerpics and my xbox ID) I think I can get my ID back through the internet via the "recover gamertag" but what about those gamerpics?

Considering the hardware failure rate I think it's a bad idea to store anything on the internal memory as it is liable to be lost if your xbox dies...

Ruahrc

#2732 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   7330 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:14 AM

Well, my 360's officially died on me. Again. No error codes. Just three flashing red lights.

MS' reps on Twitter noticed my complaints there and tried guiding me to find the problem and it's definitely the RRoD. Considering I've had it sent in for repairs before, they told me I would have to pay for a repair since I'm no longer covered by the warranty apparently.

The hell kind of BS is that? I shouldn't have to pay for their inability to make a functioning console.

Looking for fixes online doesn't help, since I'd require tools I don't have or purchasing an online guide (that's just as bad as MS). :bomb:

Should be free guides here:http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Xbox_360
gl

Spybreaker.pngcard.png
:D Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4, Dishonored 2, Crackdown 3

#2733 RawrrSlayer   Rawrr! CAGiversary!   554 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

RawrrSlayer

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:24 AM

Quiet*
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2734 metsfan1545d   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   123 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

metsfan1545d

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:25 AM

my 360 just died that i bought in october of 2007

anyway i could get them to make an acception and fix it for free

seems a little to coincidental that it dies the month after the 3 yr warranty

#2735 Tsukento   King of Pirates CAGiversary!   3651 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:15 PM

I'm utterly baffled by how this worked...

Simply lightly smacking the bottom side of the 360 (where it lays on horizontally)...somehow made the RRoD vanish. It's not popped up again since doing it. Before I had to constantly turn my console off and on until it would decide to start up properly, resulting in the same process after turning the console off when I was finished with it.

Now it just boots up like normal. The hell? :-s

B34C9vVAvxs
Not my video, but this was exactly what I did.

#2736 mormaddad   CAGLurker CAGiversary!   84 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

mormaddad

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:09 PM

Well, ever since I d/l the newest dashboard update I am now receiving the RROD. No error codes, just games or dashboard freezing. I have to power it off and try to restart. Until last night I had not been getting the RROD. Now it will not turn on.

This is my second system to RROD. MS fixed the first one free but this one is out of warranty since 2008. I think the update bricked it. Out on the net there are a lot of older 360's reported being bricked after the update.

#2737 SteveMcQ   I love Panda! CAGiversary!   7941 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:19 PM

Elite just RRODed on me. Quite aggravating. This is, by my count, the 4th console to do this to me. The 3 previous were 20GB models. I went out and bought an Elite 3 years ago and here I am again.

Interestingly, I also only started noticing hard freezes and after the update. Black Ops would completely lock up and when watching video, the screen would flicker on and off. Gonna have to call MS Support and see what they can do with this. This is completely unacceptable.

#2738 metsfan1545d   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   123 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

metsfan1545d

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:38 PM

mine rrod after the update also

#2739 metsfan1545d   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   123 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

metsfan1545d

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:47 PM

after bitching out india for an hour i finally got them to fix my console for free even though the warranty expired last month

#2740 D4rkewolfe   Henshin a Gomu-Gomu Baby! CAGiversary!   2373 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

D4rkewolfe

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:52 AM

Just got my 2nd RROD today. Blows.

Darke.jpg
~ Your friendly neighborhood Wolf signing off ~

#2741 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17240 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:57 PM

after bitching out india for an hour i finally got them to fix my console for free even though the warranty expired last month

oh great, because of you they will declare war on the US shortly :bomb:

#2742 Ruahrc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1134 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:27 AM

So I just got my 360 back from being fixed due to RROD. I'm a little confused about this license transfer thing they have instructions for...

All of my DLC, saves, etc. were all on my hard drive which I have had with me the whole time.

Looking at the serial numbers, it appears that the console I got back was the same one as the console I sent in (the serial numbers match, and the front faceplate seems to be the same one as it still has the plastic cover over the IR port which I never bothered to remove).

Unfortunately I had my gamertag saved on the internal memory, but I just used the recover gamertag function to get it back.

I tried to test the licensing issues by moving my gamertag onto an external USB drive, and disconnecting it. I then created a new profile, and launched some content (XBLA game, and also RDR Undead DLC). It gave no warnings about being in demo mode or having license restrictions. So then am I correct in thinking that since the 360 I got back was actually mine, there should be no problem with just plugging my HDD back into the unit and going on my way? I shouldn't need to go back and re-download all the marketplace items I have downloaded in the past over again (a LOT of items, it would take forever!).

Just a little confused as to when one would need to re-download everything, and how one would know they needed to do that... the instructions they provide are not really clear.

Ruahrc

#2743 gantt   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2914 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:35 PM

Just joining the Elite club here...

My Elite (Falcon) was fine for about 3 years. Early last month I accepted the new dashboard update. It seemed a little sluggish afterwards, like it was taking longer to display the dashboard after power on or exiting a game. Then it started freezing on boot, during dashboard navigation or playing a DVD; wasn't even playing any games in the end that could stress it. Finally, 3 red lights.

Bummed because I worked hard to find a unit with BenQ drive and Nidec fans. They're going to give me a POS refurb, aren't they?

#2744 mormaddad   CAGLurker CAGiversary!   84 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

mormaddad

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:38 PM

"They're going to give me a POS refurb, aren't they?"

Yup.

#2745 6er   XBOX, GO HOME CAGiversary!   2364 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:36 AM

I have a SLIM failure to report:

250GB Slim Kinect bundle, about 3 weeks old. Started freezing up, could not get more than 20 minutes of it being on(gaming or not) before it would completely freeze up, did this about 8 times in a row before I gave up and shipped it to MS for repair.

By freeze I mean: the screen would freeze frame, no sound, no reponse to anything but turning it off. The power brick was still green, as was the 360 light. there was no other sign anything was wrong besides it froze. I went through all the troubleshooting crap, checked cables, cleared cache, unplugged for a while, blah blah blah. This is #5 or 6 failbox for me

772836.png

#2746 gantt   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2914 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:33 AM

did it come with the latest dashboard, or did it have to be updated and if so, when did that happen?

#2747 6er   XBOX, GO HOME CAGiversary!   2364 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:30 PM

did it come with the latest dashboard, or did it have to be updated and if so, when did that happen?

it's was a new kinect bundle
, it had the new dashboard theme when first booted. It downloaded something during initial set up, maybe something kinect related or kinect game update, but as I said in post, I had no issues until 3 weeks old.

#2748 iKilledChewbacca   Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade! Trading Timeout - Under Review   3946 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

iKilledChewbacca

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:37 PM

UGHH !! My elite just passed away with RRoD :cry:

It isnt the new slim model but its still not over 1 1/2 years old . I hate Microsoft

#2749 gantt   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2914 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:03 PM

UGHH !! My elite just passed away with RRoD :cry:

It isnt the new slim model but its still not over 1 1/2 years old . I hate Microsoft

At least it's still under warranty for RROD, right?

#2750 iKilledChewbacca   Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade! Trading Timeout - Under Review   3946 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

iKilledChewbacca

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:54 AM

At least it's still under warranty for RROD, right?

Yeah it said it was under warranty till Feb. 2013 for RRoD which is cool :D

#2751 ufskenney   I got nuthin' CAGiversary!   312 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:00 PM

That sucks. Not sure people should get too worked up over it (not saying anyone is), since this is the first CAG report. There will always be a failure rate for electronics and you may have just been extremely unlucky. There might be a bigger problem, but at this point who knows???
Whale Oil Beef Hooked - What you say to an Irishman when he buys you a beer.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2752 6er   XBOX, GO HOME CAGiversary!   2364 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:52 PM

SLIM FAILURE UPDATE:

this is a weird one all my phat replacements come from the reapir place......My slim was shipped to the place in Texas where they normally go for repair......and wait for it:

the tracking number for my replacement is coming from MEXICO. Just cleared customs on the 10th, no update since.....anyone explain this for me?

#2753 gantt   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2914 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:20 AM

SLIM FAILURE UPDATE:

this is a weird one all my phat replacements come from the reapir place......My slim was shipped to the place in Texas where they normally go for repair......and wait for it:

the tracking number for my replacement is coming from MEXICO. Just cleared customs on the 10th, no update since.....anyone explain this for me?

1. Cheap labor
2. No OSHA
3. No EPA

Comprende?

#2754 6er   XBOX, GO HOME CAGiversary!   2364 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:46 AM

that doesn't make sense. Ship it to texas, then they store replacements in mexico? Two facilities for the same thing a few hundred miles apart....think about it for a minute....total waste of money. Microsoft doesn't waste money like that.

#2755 gantt   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2914 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:26 PM

that doesn't make sense. Ship it to texas, then they store replacements in mexico? Two facilities for the same thing a few hundred miles apart....think about it for a minute....total waste of money. Microsoft doesn't waste money like that.

How do you know the facilities are for the same thing?
One is receiving.
One is shipping, and may be refurbing as well.
Also, how do you know they are "a few hundred miles apart"? Where in Mexico does it say it's coming from?

#2756 6er   XBOX, GO HOME CAGiversary!   2364 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:50 PM

I've been through this 5 times. You send it in to mesquite for repair, they send you one that's been repaired from mesquite. How do I know it's hundreds of miles? Common sense(nothing personal:) look up Mesquite Texas on a map

I'll rephrase my question:

Can anyone explain this that knows for a fact what is going on, without guessing.

I'm hoping they have a console manufacturing facility in Mexico. We know they burn game discs there.

#2757 gantt   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2914 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:18 AM

I've been through this 5 times. You send it in to mesquite for repair, they send you one that's been repaired from mesquite. How do I know it's hundreds of miles? Common sense(nothing personal:) look up Mesquite Texas on a map

I'll rephrase my question:

Can anyone explain this that knows for a fact what is going on, without guessing.

I'm hoping they have a console manufacturing facility in Mexico. We know they burn game discs there.

Ha. You got me there. I ASSuMEd Mesquite was a border town. Texas geography fail.

As for someone who knows for a fact, I'm sure the Xbox refurb supply chain manager is a CAG regular and will be along shortly.

Why do you care? If I get a working 360 in good cosmetic shape that lasts as long as my original, I could care less if it's shipped from BFE.

#2758 6er   XBOX, GO HOME CAGiversary!   2364 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:03 PM

To quote the great philosopher Jerry Seinfield: Never assume, it leads to assumptions

EVERY one of my replacements has failed. One 1 lasted longer than a original, and that was probably only because I hardly played it for almost a year. When I startd playing regularly again.....fail

Edited by 6er, 14 December 2010 - 01:49 PM.

#2759 6er   XBOX, GO HOME CAGiversary!   2364 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:49 PM

interesting, they don't require signature anymore? Not exactly complaining, that's caused me headaches before. My town is serviced by a ups facility over a few counties and 30 min away. Even though there is a facility in the neighboring town.O_o

#2760 6er   XBOX, GO HOME CAGiversary!   2364 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:15 PM

k, here is the post you all have been waiting for!

I got I back. Same console ID number, but the replaced the original product info sticker, that is above all the ports on the rear, with a new one that also lists a service date (at the top). It is NOT covering the old sticker, and to add to that:

they must have put a new body on. This thing looks brand new, and yes, while the one I sent in was only weeks old, it had scuff from setting the controller on top when not in use( on the flat glossy top, never over a vent of course, and only when off). I didn't know it was scuffed it until I shipped it(fyi to all those to have a glossy one), but this one is perfect. Plus my controller turned it on. Oddly I had to do kinect setup again

Edited by 6er, 15 December 2010 - 12:57 AM.