XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

ITDEFX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ- Official Coffin Support Group Version 2!

HTADB.jpg

Console's Hotter than a Dragon's Breath!!

This is a new FAQ design to help those who have just suffered the infamous Red Ring of Death on their beloved XBOX 360. Here is a list of questions and answers one might want to know when dealing with the RRoD.
This is a Work In Progress. I will add more details and information (including pictures) as time goes on. Special thanks to Masked Plague for his​

Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91772

Thread, Wubb for giving me the go with this thread, and all the CAGS who have experienced problems with their 360 and posted their experiences with the repair process. Remember this is a Work In Progress so information will be updated as time goes on. Fellow CAGS are welcome to send me a PM with update ideas and I will update this thread asap. Thank you.​

FAQ History

6/15/10 - Version 1.43: New question about the new 360's.
6/12/09 - Version 1.42: Updated information regarding the "Coffin"!! Please read
4/15/09 - Version 1.41: New information regarding the E74 ERROR!!
9/20/08- Version 1.4: New important information added, new photos
6/18/08- Version 1.3: New information added, new photos
4/24/08- Version 1.2: New information added, new photo
4/11/08- Version 1.1: New information added, measurements, new user questions and photos!
4/10/08- Version 1.0: First 13 questions are up.
===================================================

With the New Xbox 360 coming out this week, will it mean no more Red Ring of Death for the 360?

During the Microsoft E3 Press conference on June 15th, 2010, Microsoft not only officially announced the much rumored new 360, (dubbed the 360 Slim by the internet) but the surprise release of this new unit to retail this week. Does this mean that the Red Ring of Death and various problems that plagued older 360's are a thing of the past? As of this writing it is unknown what this new system will bring to the table. The new unit is suppose to have better hardware cpu/gpu designs, use less power, better cooling and so on. Will the new unit flash 3 red lights to indicate a hardware failure? , Unknown at this time because it may generate some sort of on screen error indicating there is a problem. Again it is too early to tell what type of failure rate this new unit has. It may be weeks or months before we see any bad units pop up in the field.

If I send in my old 360 that has RRoD, will I get back a new 360 Slim?

At the time of this writing it is unknown what the procedure will be in this case. Most likely they will continue to send back refurbished units to you when you send in your RRoD 360. So don't expect an old 360 to new 360 trade in program any time soon by microsoft.

========================================================

What is the Red Ring of Death?

The RRoD may strike at any time with little or no warning to the user whatsoever. The user may play several rounds of Halo 3 (for example, but it can be with any game) without problems, shut down the system to take a break and come back to it later only to discover THREE Flashing red lights and an unresponsive system.
According to Wikipedia:

“When a Microsoft Xbox 360 console experiences a "general hardware failure", three flashing red lights appear on the power switch's "Ring of Light" in the front of the console. This is commonly referred to as the "Red Ring of Death", or RROD for short. Exactly how many users have experienced this problem is unknown to the public.
The General Hardware Failure error can be caused by cold soldering. The added mass of the CSP chips (including the GPU and CPU) resists heat flow that allows proper soldering of the lead free solders underneath the motherboard. This causes cracking and voids in the solders themselves from prolonged constant temperature changes inside the Xbox 360. Lead free solders, however, might be the cause of this because, when properly soldered, they take on a dull appearance that professionals take as a cold solder in older methods, thus, leading to confusion. Lead free solders also require a greater amount of heat to solder properly when compared to older lead/tin solders.

Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Yes and No. There is a temporary work around that will resurrect your 360 for awhile longer while you hold out for your “Coffin” from Microsoft to arrive. This is known as the towel trick. This technique has been removed from the FAQ but can be found on YouTube. The reason for the removal is because too many people are using this technique as a permanent fix instead of going thru the repair process, causing even more damage to the system.

What is the next step?

After you have successfully obtain a Red Ring of Death, it is time to call Microsoft. Once you call Microsoft, you will reach their automotive system called “MAX” that will prompt you to “say” what you want to do and so on. Those who do not like these types of automotive systems can simple hit ZERO on your phone several times until MAX tells you that he is going to get someone on the line. Shortly after you should be able to reach a live Customer Support Representative. Depending on the time you called, you may reach an outsourced CSR from India or an American Representative operating out of Texas. There is very little you can do to select the CSR when you call, but if you call between 9pm 12am local time, there is a chance you might be connected to an American CSR. This is not a guaranty.
If you get an outsource CSR, be prepared to repeat yourself and your problem several times, hear apologizes, put on hold for several minutes and so on. Your questions may or may not be successfully answered so be prepared for this.

A CSR may attempt to try trouble shooting techniques with you such as removing your hard drive, deleting and reinstating your gamer tag (which is impossible if your 360 can’t boot!!), trying different video cables and so on. Don’t waste your time with this and ask for the repair box. Avoid using the term “Coffin” as it will confuse the CSR as they are not trained for this and will cause further delays on the phone.
The CSR will ask you for your 360’s serial number located in the back of the 360. You should have this number handy before making the call so it is best to disconnect the unit (since you are going to ship it out anyways) from your TV and have the number written down and ready. They will also ask you for your name, address and phone number.

I have placed my repair order, now what? *UPDATED 6/12/09*
Be aware that Microsoft is NO LONGER SHIPPING OUT FREE COFFINS!!!!

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/08/microsoft-kills-coffin-policy-time-to-pack-your-rrod-xbox-you/

The box should arrive in 5 to 7 business days (Weekends do not count). The box or “Coffin” is a white box that is
Length : 15.5"
Height: 6.5"
Width: 13.25"
Picture of Coffin and contents (thanks to greyzieoriental for the information and pictures)
xbox360coffin.jpg

Inside the box includes the necessary packing materials and instructions. You are to include your 360 unit ONLY. Do not include your hard drive, a/v cables, power supply, controllers or anything else. It is highly recommended that you open the drive and remove any games or discs that may still be in the system. If you forget to do this, you are SOL!! After you have dropped it off at your local UPS store, it may take another 5 to 7 business days to get to the repair center in Texas.
However if you do not want to wait for your “Coffin” you can do the following things during the call to Microsoft.

1. Ask for the electronic shipping label to be emailed to you. By requesting this, the CSR will create an electronic shipping label for you to print out on your home computer. It may take between 24 to 48 hours to get this email, but it may be as fast as 12 hours after you call Microsoft so watch your email for this.
2. If you want to send out your 360 the same day or the following day and want to pay for faster shipping service to Texas, you might want to ask for the mailing address to the Texas Repair Facility and you can box the unit up yourself and pay whatever price to get it to Texas sooner than later.

When entering the UPS store, employees recognized my coffin right away, should I be worried?

Yes….just kidding! Various reports indicate the average UPS store gets about 5-15 (even more in some cases) 360 coffins shipped out a day. They know what it looks like, they know how much it weighs and they know what’s inside the box. Just make sure you get a tracking number before you leave that store.

Ok I sent it, now what?
Get ready for a long wait! If you have a backlog of video games from other systems, now is the time to play catch up. If your 360 was your only video game system, then time to watch your backlog of DVD’s. If all else fails, find a hobby to keep you busy.

How long will it take for my unit to get repaired?

Once it arrives at the Texas Repair Facility it may take up to 10 business days to repair or replace your unit. In rare cases it may be longer. Some people report that they have gotten their 360 back within 2 weeks. You should receive an email containing your Xbox Customer Support Service Request ID# Print this out and keep it handy during the repair process. The email should link you to a page that keeps track of your repair status. It will look like this
  • Device Xbox360 Hardware
  • Serial Number (your number)
  • Warranty Status (whatever your status is)

• Repair Status (the current status in the repair center)
  • Carrier Name UPS (when they ship it back to you)
  • Carrier Tracking Number (when they ship it back to you)
This is a 4 step process that your 360 has to go threw. From the Microsoft site
  • “After your repair order is submitted, your status will change to Repair order submitted. This means that it is in the queue to be processed.
  • After it is processed, your repair order status will change to Waiting for device at service center. The total length of this process depends on you! We will ship an empty box to you by using ground service. When you receive the box, you will pack your console using the included instructions. Send it back to us by using the ground shipping that is included.
  • When we receive your console, the status will change to Device received at service center. It will require up to ten business days to repair or replace your console.
  • When your console is repaired or replaced, we will ship it to you by using ground service. The status of your order will change to Device shipped to customer.
After your unit arrives at the repair center, it may take several days before you even see an update after it states “Device received at service center.” You will not see any technical details regarding your 360 or where it is in the repair order. Once it has been repaired/replaced, you will see your status indicating “Device shipped to customer”. The repair page will indicate the serial number attached to the unit. If the Serial number is different than the one you sent in, your unit may have been replaced by either another repaired unit OR a brand new unit. You may want to call to see if your unit has been replaced by either another repaired unit OR a brand new unit. Check the page for the UPS tracking number so that you may track your unit and know when it is expected to arrive at your home (so you can take the day off!)

Image of the 4 step process.

status.jpg

I sent my non HDMI 360, is there a chance I will get a HDMI 360 back?

Short answer, no. Whatever you sent in is what you are going to get back. So if you sent a non HDMI unit, you will get a non HDMI unit back even if it was repaired or a brand new unit.

What is Microsoft going to give me for my troubles?

Reports indicate that you get a 1 month Xbox Live gold card in the box your 360 comes back to you. That’s it.

Microsoft has repaired/replaced my unit and it is on the way back. What is to be expected to be inside? 4/11/08
1. Your original fixed 360, another person's fixed 360 or a BRAND NEW unit.
2. A letter from Microsoft saying everything including your warranty has been taken care of.
3. Instructions on how to re-sync your 360 controllers back to the unit.
4. A survey of the experience.
5. 1 month live gold card.

Picture of the box

360BOX.jpg

A 360 with 1 month live gold card (Your's? Mine? Someone else's? Brand New? Who knows!?!?!)

360BOX2.jpg

Letter from Microsoft

replacementdocument.jpg

Survey

survey.jpg

According to new information, MS is labeling the boxes with the CPU Code Name outside of the box. 9/20/08

xboxboxod9mw1.jpg

Thanks to Spoo for the information!

What else is Microsoft doing to speed the repair process? 9/20/08

According to several CAG's, Microsoft has a new Advanced Exchange program in place in which MS sends you a replacement 360 unit, along with a return box. Once you receive the unit, you MUST return your Red Ringed 360 back to MS within the specified time frame. There is a catch however. You must send them your credit card information and a pre-authorization charge of $400 will be placed on your account but not charged unless you do not send in the broken 360. This will NOT be a new unit (Elite with a 120 gig hard drive) causing debate of why Microsoft is charging 400 dollars for a lower valued unit.
To qualify for this program, you must be within the warranty period.

Scan of the Advanced Exchange program document.

360exchangeprogram.jpg

Thanks to Rhymetimesfine for the scan.

My replacement unit appears to have an older manufacturing date than the one I sent in. Is it possible that this unit may break down as well? (Added 4/16/08)

Yes it is very possible. Go to this web site
http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3152&p=3
and see if the image matches what you see in your replacement 360.

For my replacement unit, it looks like I got the copper heatsink :(

Is there another way to see if I got a repaired/refurbished unit? 4/24/08

Yes. You will need to remove the face plate first. Watch this quick and easy video to do so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlghgN364xM

Once the faceplate is removed look for this sticker. If you see this sticker instead of a Microsoft text label, then you have a refurbished unit.

REFURBUNITSTICKER.jpg

Thanks to Braindeadalive for the information.

I modded my 360 with a cool looking external shell, but I got the RRoD. Will Microsoft still fix it for free?

Any type of modification or tampering with the unit will void your warranty. Breaking the internal seals will also void your warranty. You will either be forced to pay for the repairs OR buy a new system as the repair cost may be more than 100 dollars.

Sometimes I get weird graphic glitches such as strange colors and so on. Could this be a symptom of an upcoming RRoD?

That is a possibility, however it maybe that your GPU (Graphic Processing Unit) is overheating and malfunctioning. This may lead to a single red flashing light and a E74 Error.

Is the E74 and Single Red Flashing Light covered as well? (Updated 4/15/09)
No, the E74 and Single Red Flashing Light is not covered by the same coverage as the RRoD, therefore you may have to pay as much as 100 dollars to fix that particular problem with your system.

Good news

http://kotaku.com/5211159/microsoft-extends-warranty-for-e74-failures

According to an article on Kotaku, MS will give the same type of coverage as those who suffer from the 3 red rings hardware failure. Those who already paid for the E79 fix will get a refund shortly (a few weeks).

What is a E79 error?
An E79 error is when the side hard drive has crashed. There is little to no warnings about this (based on my experience). This is also NOT covered by the RRoD and therefore you may have to pay to have it replaced.

Is there a way to make your 360 red ring? (Crushedtacean) 4/11/08

It is NOT recommended that you force your system to trigger a red ring of death. Normal usage will eventually cause a RRoD.

What kind of warranty to you get from a repaired/replaced unit from MS ? 4/11/08
Based on my experience, you get another 90 days (3 months) of coverage. Hopefully that will cover you from any other issues like GPU or Drive issues.

I just got a RRoD. I still have the original packaging but I am more than past 30 days, can I take it to a certain store without a receipt and exchange it for a brand new one?
This is considered return fraud and is highly not recommended.

I just found the Nyko 360 Intercooler for cheap...will this help prevent the 360 from Red Ringing? 6/18/08

31660756-2-440-overview-1.gif

Nyko 360 Intercooler

It is highly NOT recommended to attach this device to the 360. Reports indicated that the device may cause damage to the back of the 360, specifically the power port.

Torched360.jpg

Thanks to Rozz for the images.

Microsoft has stated that if the repair center detects the signs of the intercooler device used on the unit (scorch marks) they WILL NOT REPAIR the 360. It may cost the user to repair the 360 despite a RRoD. Use at your own risk!

Is there any way to get better support other than the outsourcing call center? 6/18/08

Yes, however you will need to call the outsourcing number (1800-4my-xbox) tell them your problem, get the reference number, end the call (nicely, DO NOT HANG UP ON THE PERSON!) wait about 10-15 minutes, then call 866-506-3826 and give them your reference number. Be very polite when talking with them and do NOT made demands for an HDMI unit or better unit. Best thing you can get out of them is overnight shipping and priority repair so you might get it back in less than 1 business week.

Thanks to JJSP and the Consumerist for the information.

According to the UPS web site, the repair center requested the item to be sent to it at another date and UPS will attempt to honor the request. Is this a bad thing? 6/18/08

I experienced the same problem the first time I sent it in. I believe that the repair center has a limit of how many they will accept per day and once they reach the limit, they will turn down any other shipments for the rest of the day and take them the next day. Therefore you may need to wait another day before your 360 is accepted at the repair center.

My drive/360 has all of a sudden become QUITE, as in you barely hear anything (no loud drive noises). Is this a sign that my drive is about to die? 6/18/08

Several users including myself have experienced this since getting back a refurb unit from MS. Currently there is no explanation what is causing the drive to be quite on one session and noisy the next.

Texas has been hit several times by hurricanes over the past few weeks. Will this affect the repair process?
9/20/08

Unless a full Category 5 Hurricane, combined with Tornadoes hit the area in which the repair facility is located, your 360 and everyone else's should be ok. Now there may be a delay in the arrival or departure of your 360 in that area because I seriously doubt UPS is going to risk their lives for your 360. If the facility is down for some reason, there are reports that there is a similar facility in Mexico that can take over the workload until the Texas facility is up and running again. Just wait it out. If something does happen to your 360, I am sure Microsoft may be nice enough to replace your unit with a brand new one.

Shouldn't I just buy a new 360 when mine Red Rings? 9/20/08

That's up to you. You need to ask yourself a few questions. Can I live without my 360 for a few weeks knowing it's going to come back to me repaired? Do I have 200-400 dollars to spend on a new unit?

[RED DOT OF DEATH SECTION...COMING SOON...OR WHEN WE GET THE FIRST ONLINE REPORTS OF THE NEW 360 S BREAKING DOWN]

Other Information:

-Reports are coming in from several CAGs who recently experienced the RRoD that the turn around time from the time they send out the broken unit til it returns back to them is about 2 weeks during the month of April. It is very possible that the repair center may be out of "new" units and may be sending out refurbished ones almost immediately once they receive your unit. So they may not be examining your unit for RRoD, but rather shipping out whatever is at the time a "working unit". However several CAGs are reporting the units they get back have other non-RRoD issues, such as faulty eject buttons or bad USB ports. Check your 360 carefully once you get it back from the repair center.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LinkinPrime']Awesome thread ITDEFX :applause:[/quote]

Thanks...I just need to go back and format it again because it looks weird on my end atm.

Updated the title to reflect this is a follow on to the original Coffin Support Group thread. MP (the original OP) gave his blessing for this new thread in case anyone is wondering.

so i have a friends 360 that recently red ringed.. i believe its a launch system but not sure..

anyways he doesnt think they will fix it for free since he has called before regarding the dvd drive being broken.

im planning on calling microsoft and just not even mentioning the drive. only that the system red ringed.. will we have any problems?

[quote name='guyver2077']so i have a friends 360 that recently red ringed.. i believe its a launch system but not sure..

anyways he doesn't think they will fix it for free since he has called before regarding the dvd drive being broken.

I'm planning on calling Microsoft and just not even mentioning the drive. only that the system red ringed.. will we have any problems?[/quote]

If your 360 has indeed RROD. then just tell them that. I know for a fact that since they replace the motherboard/heatsink due to the RROD they have to replace the DVD drive too. Don't expect a different DVD model though. The reason for this is because each DVD drive has a key that is kinked to the motherboard. Both keys need to match. If not then your DVD drive won't play games. That is also why it isn't as easy as it seems to replace a bricked dvd drive.

[quote name='chex20']If your 360 has indeed RROD. then just tell them that. I know for a fact that since they replace the motherboard/heatsink due to the RROS they have to replace the DVD drive too. Don't expect a different DVD model though. The reason for this is because eaxh DVD drive has a key that is kinked to the motherboard. Both keys need to match. If not then your DVD drive won't play games. That is also why it isn't as easy as it seems to replace a bricked dvd drive.[/quote]

This is an interesting bit of information you got here. I might add this to the FAQ later today/tonight.

I finally got my coffin today, took a full week to arrive. I figure it'll be another 2 weeks before I get anything back. I'm crossing my fingers they dont repair my launch unit and send me a newer one. Well, I can hope......

Since my 360 is scheduled to arrive sometime Friday I am going to wait til Friday night or saturday to update this FAQ. I want to scan the letter that microsoft includes with the package and take some pictures so I can post them here.

[quote name='Littlefields']I have a quick question:
Do they check for a the contents of the console, Motherboard and such?[/quote]

I am sure the repair center has a complete check list including pictures of what to look for when a 3 flashing light unit arrives at the repair center. My guess is that if your unit meets certain repairable criteria, then they will fix it. If your unit would be too costly to repair, then I am sure they will replace it.

Funny thing is when my friend sent his 360 off to texas, he was worried they would open it up and find cat hair in his 360 since he has like a dozen cats in his house, but they just ended up replacing his unit.

[quote name='Crushedtacean']Is there a way to make your 360 red ring?[/QUOTE]

Buying one seems to work pretty well so far.

In all seriousness, heat seems to be a killer for the 360. I won't be the one to advocate forcing the RRoD on your system, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to overheat your system. It should be noted that going above and beyond simulated normal use can potentially void your warranty, making the whole process pointless.

For what it's worth, the coffin dimensions are 18"x16"x6" (roughly). Damn you, UPS Store. That's less room for good knowledge like Simpsons quotes.

[quote name='Crushedtacean']Is there a way to make your 360 red ring?[/QUOTE]

Play it? Thats all I did, took care of my launch unit, had good ventilation, used in short bursts of gaming (with a few exceptions) and it still red ringed on me. I dont abuse my systems. Its sad I have my original Saturn, Dreamcast, and PS2 fatty and they all still work.

[quote name='addicted2games']Play it? Thats all I did, took care of my launch unit, had good ventilation, used in short bursts of gaming (with a few exceptions) and it still red ringed on me. I dont abuse my systems. Its sad I have my original Saturn, Dreamcast, and PS2 fatty and they all still work.[/quote]

I believe the problem i am experiencing with my second 360 is with my GPU,that according to this faq,is not covered by the three red rings of death. That is why i asked.

My 360 red-ringed out of the blue once about 3 weeks ago. After that it hasn't occurred since. I've had my 360 for about a year and a half. Anyway, before my warranty is up I want to get it replaced. Although, I haven't had a RROD I get infrequent DREs, abd the unit's dvd drive is far more noisy than it orignally was. Is the process of getting it repaired similar for other problems as RROD? I.e will they give me a nifty box and what have you?

[quote name='AshesofWake']whoa the coffin has changed since launch days[/QUOTE]
My thoughts exactly - the box was definitely 18x16x6 at one point because we used to get kids bringing in their stuff (foam sides, 360, label) and wanting to return it without the box. You would not BELIEVE how many people throw away the box when they get it. They're also shipping them UPS Ground now instead of 3-Day.

My xbox died after having it about 6 months. It was only at the service center for a few days and now a different console is on the way back. When I first got it, I sent in for the two year extended warranty but never received anything back about it. When I checked the warranty status online is says service contract until 2010. So I am assuming that means the extended warranty and not just the 3 years they give everyone for the RRoD, correct? What is listed under warranty status for those who did not buy the extended warranty? If someone could answer this for me that would be great.

When I called about my warranty status, the customer service rep told me the warranty was good until 2009 on the console they were sending back to me. I am waiting to hear back from them regarding this issue. Unfortunately, I have no papers regarding a service contract because they were never sent to me.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']awesome thread, heres my contributions

Length : 15.5"
Height: 6.5"
Width: 13.25"

Pic of Coffin
xbox360coffin.jpg
[/quote]

[quote name='JJSP']My thoughts exactly - the box was definitely 18x16x6 at one point because we used to get kids bringing in their stuff (foam sides, 360, label) and wanting to return it without the box. You would not BELIEVE how many people throw away the box when they get it. They're also shipping them UPS Ground now instead of 3-Day.[/quote]

Thanks for your contribution guys including the picture and measurements. My 360 should be here any time now (UPS said it's out for delivery and I am about less than 2 miles from the UPS store). Anyways will update the OP in a few hours.

Just got mine back after about two and a half weeks. Had to readjust the faceplate because it kept turning off and the drive wouldn't open. Thanks microsoft!

May want to include info about the 3-year warranty that only covers RRoD issues.

I asked this question in the coffin megathread but never got an answer. Anyone got any failure data or anecdotes about the non-elite 360s w/ HDMI? I realize that the problem still isn't fixed yet and this one is just as susceptible to the RRoD as any other unit, but I'd like more info if possible.

[quote name='NTolerance']May want to include info about the 3-year warranty that only covers RRoD issues.

I asked this question in the coffin megathread but never got an answer. Anyone got any failure data or anecdotes about the non-elite 360s w/ HDMI? I realize that the problem still isn't fixed yet and this one is just as susceptible to the RRoD as any other unit, but I'd like more info if possible.[/quote]

Ok I will include that information when I update this later today. I will also start compiling a list of questions from fellow CAG's and put them in the OP so hopefully someone can come along and answer it.

I think my 360 might be on the verge of death. Perfect fucking timing too. We're less than a month away from GTAIV, and my 360's actions are starting to scare me.

I've had this 360 for a while. It's a 2007 model that I got from the repair center after having six consoles break on me in less than a year. The manager of the entire center assured me that he inspected this console himself and it was working perfectly. (I know that doesn't mean jack-shit, but I'd thought I'd throw it in there for good measure anyway).

First sign:
A little while ago, it started acting strange. Disks would randomly stop spinning, then start again some time later. The games continued to play, but I noticed that when the disk wasn't spinning, some of the games audio was missing.

Second sign:
On top of the disk spinning problem becoming more frequent, I starting hearing this clicking noise. It almost sounded like something inside was spinning and flicking a small piece of paper. (I know that's not actually what it was, that's just the best description of the sound I can come up with).

Third sign:

While hooking up my PS2 just now, I nudged the table my 360 sits on and I heard a very faint rattling sound. I got closer to my 360 and I purposely nudged the table again, and sure enough, it was coming from my 360. It sounded as if a small, thin piece of metal was loose and was rattling around.

If anybody knows anything, please let me know. If my 360 is on it's last legs, I honestly might just go buy another one rather than wait two months and let all my friends get ahead of me in GTAIV.

The Fed EX box came today, I was surprised that the label was for overnight shipping. So the my Xbox & power supply should be in Texas by monday.

I wish there was a way to get a new one like most people are, if they just fix this shit replacement that didn't last 24 hours in the first place...

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']If my 360 is on it's last legs, I honestly might just go buy another one rather than wait two months and let all my friends get ahead of me in GTAIV.[/QUOTE]

Buying another 360 would be rewarding Microsoft for building shitty hardware. Sony took advantage of this last gen with the PS2 DREs. A lot of people bought extra PS2s because of it.

I couldn't comment for sure on the first two things, but i think the rattling from your 360 moving might just be the position indicator inside of the 360. I know that makes a rattling noise on all 360s.

[quote name='mogshaz']I couldn't comment for sure on the first two things, but i think the rattling from your 360 moving might just be the position indicator inside of the 360. I know that makes a rattling noise on all 360s.[/quote]

It's a different rattling sound. I can hear the position indicator and this other rattle. The unknown rattle sounds more like a spring that's still attached at one end. I'm moving the console again though, and now I can't hear it...

Ok, I updated the OP with new questions and pictures!!! Hopefully I fixed the formatting issue. Also the 360 I got back today was from 2006!! (my old one was from 2006!):bomb: So I think I got someone else's 360. So far it seems a bit quieter than the one I sent in but the drive is a Toshiba and not a BenQ drive :whistle2:( oh well. Lets see how long this one lasts. Also the Clank/Vert sound that was present in the last 2 360 I had is now gone! :)

Both my cousin's 360 and mine died within a week of each other. His coffin just arrived today and mine should be here sometime next week.

[quote name='braindeadalive']The Fed EX box came today, I was surprised that the label was for overnight shipping. So the my Xbox & power supply should be in Texas by monday.

I wish there was a way to get a new one like most people are, if they just fix this shit replacement that didn't last 24 hours in the first place...[/QUOTE]

I have to send my power supply in as well, I wonder if this means we might get new one's back. I told them to not even think of sending me the POS they just sent me back. I guess we will find out soon enough. Nice to hear about the overnight shipping, at least that is a positive.

hmmm...I am going to update the OP if I see more reports that when your replacement system conks out again and MS requests the power brick along with the system.

That's what happened to my cousin. He sent his in before and now they want him to send the power brick and cord with the system.

Mine is being repaired for the first time and I only have to send in the system. When I asked the CS person how come I didnt have to send in the brick, she said that they only take it for consoles that were repaired. She did ask me though if I wanted to send it in any ways.

There's a rumor that someone on the "inside source" at Microsoft said that Microsoft knew about the hardware issues a long time ago...

[quote name='ITDEFX']Ok, I updated the OP with new questions and pictures!!! Hopefully I fixed the formatting issue. Also the 360 I got back today was from 2006!! (my old one was from 2006!):bomb: So I think I got someone else's 360. So far it seems a bit quieter than the one I sent in but the drive is a Toshiba and not a BenQ drive :whistle2:( oh well. Lets see how long this one lasts. Also the Clank/Vert sound that was present in the last 2 360 I had is now gone! :)[/quote]

Wait, so Microsoft lied to you? Didn't you say that they said that they were going to send you a brand new unit?

Got my first red ring today on my unit purchased about a year after launch. It came after watching about 5 minutes of Planet Earth of all things.

Sigh.. looks like GTA4 will launch a little later for me.

[quote name='Rozz']Wait, so Microsoft lied to you? Didn't you say that they said that they were going to send you a brand new unit?[/quote]

yep. The Indian Outsource CSR lied to me. :bomb:

a little update that clank/vert sound still occurs when you boot with a disc inside !!

[quote name='Rozz']There's a rumor that someone on the "inside source" at Microsoft said that Microsoft knew about the hardware issues a long time ago...[/quote]

Oh I believe it... I am sure a few engineers knew there was a series of design flaws with the system and that they needed to spend a few more months to a year to fix it, but of course the MS big wigs wanted to beat Sony and Nintendo by a year.

bread's done
Back