The 'Cheap Thrills' Thread

callmesteam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
With Episode 115, Cheapy and Wombat have unveiled a new segment tentatively titled 'Cheap Thrills' where they each recommend a cheap game thats worth a look.

What are your picks for great games, on any platform, under the $20 mark? Used or New.

A few games that come to mind...

'The Mark of Kri' for PS2. It's a third person action/adventure game with a fairly unique fighting system (almost along the lines of a rhythm game), a bird you can control to scope out far away areas, and a great animated look a la Mulan and the like. $2.75 used on Amazon

'24: The Game' for PS2. I've never seen the show, but the game is pretty solid for a budget price. It's been criticised for doing TOO MUCH. You've got driving levels, puzzle minigames, 3rd person action levels, stealth (if you choose), just a ton of content. And its got a very cool comic-book-ish design. The aiming and controls are different, but they work great. The camera kinda sucks and no one part of the game is outstanding, but overall its a lot of fun. $7.20 used on Amazon.

'Downhill Domination' for the PS2. Made by the same company that put out 'War of the Monsters' (which Wombat mentioned), Downhill Domination was one of the great overlooked PS2 titles. It was pretty pricey in the after market for some time, I finally bit at $25 used, but has since gone down in price consiterabley. It's a downhill mountain biking game, you race to the finish line going off massive cliffs, through narrow gorges, and over all kinds of great terrain. There's forest fires to shoot through and lots of powerups to grab. It's a bit like Road Rash in that you can do battle with your opponents, but the main focus is hauling ass to the finish line. The levels are pretty long for a racing game too, with most taking over 5 minutes to complete. A lot of fun for just $8.40 used on Amazon.

I echo the sentiment on the Hulk game. It's great fun.

I would totally recommend Mister Mosquito, for PS2, if you can find it. It's a fun little game, even though the mosquitos in my apartment are driving me nuts right now!

[quote name='Nephlabobo']I echo the sentiment on the Hulk game. It's great fun.

I would totally recommend Mister Mosquito, for PS2, if you can find it. It's a fun little game, even though the mosquitos in my apartment are driving me nuts right now![/quote]
Mister Mosquito is fun, but man is it hard! Maybe I just 'suck' at flying games... ZING!

Ghosthunter for PS2 is a little-known gem. $9.79 used on Amazon. Great atmosphere, good graphics (for its day), fun Ghostbusters rip-off.

Any Oddworld game. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath is only $9.99 on amazon.com right now. I don't think it's backwards compatable yet though.

And Jet Set Radio Future. Definetly a fun game and one of my all time favorites. It is backwards compatable so no need to worry about that.

Panzer Dragoon Orta also comes to mind.

24 the game? No way! The driving missions destroy that game. They ruin the entire game. One of the few games I could not beat because of the fuckin bullshit level/game design/whatever proper term is. I loved the game up until the 2nd or 3rd driving mission then my love turned to hate. Avoid at all costs.

Damn you thorbahn! >_< I came here specifically to say Metroid Prime. Grr.

I guess I'll say Devil May Cry 1. About $8 used.
I'll also mention the Sega Genesis Collection. $20...if you can find it. 20+ Classic Genesis games for the PS2. A much better deal than the Virtual Console (which has most of these games, but not all)

Black (Xbox BC)

Prey (Xbox 360)

The Thing (Xbox BC)

Serious Sam: Next Encounter (Gamecube)

Freedom Fighters (Gamecube)

Star Wars: KOTOR

Indigo Prophecy (Xbox BC)

Thief: Deadly Shadows (Xbox BC)

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (Gamecube)

bread's done
Back