How do you get subtitles in your videos?

darkchild81

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I've searched this forum and others, but I can't find anything definitive.

I use DVD Decryter & PSPVideo9 to rip dvds. But I know you have to do somthing else to get subtitles to show up in the .mp4. I've tried using a few new programs but nothing works.

What is the easiest way to get subtitles in a video?

Holy crap. I would of never imagined that it would take 3 subtitle programs to do it right. Looks like I got my work cut out for me.

Thanks for the help.

Ok, I tried using these programs last night, but the are all for editing DIVX files.

When I'm ripping movies I go from DVD -> *.vob -> *.mp4. And those programs don't work with those formats. I even tried converting the mp4s to avi. But that didn't work.

Is there anything else that might work?

Try using AutoGK 1st and making an avi, and then converting for PSP. AutoGK has built-in subtitle support, and it's never given me any trouble the few times I've used it.

I usually use a free video encoder (can't remember the name, it's pretty popular though) and an addon for it call vobsub. Then you can search for dvd or divx subtitles and just apply the subtitles onto the mp4, and encode the vid/transfer.

once you get the programs it's really not hard to use, I've had to do it for a few of my import dvd's. If you can't get it in the next day or so, I'll dig up the programs and poke around a bit a write you a step by step.

[quote name='Nowell']Then you can search for dvd or divx subtitles and just apply the subtitles onto the mp4, and encode the vid/transfer.[/QUOTE]

So you have to have a seperate file for subtitles? I thought you could rip them from the dvd. Ok, so I found a site that has the subtitles for the movie I have "Chunking Express", but it's just a bunch of text with times thrown in there. The subtitles need to be in a specific file format right?

I think I will need that step but step. :)

[edit] i just downloawed autogk, so i'm going to give that a shot.

The best method I've used is to convert the subtitles using a program called, Subtitler, I think, to SSA (sub station alpha) format. Than you can use Virtua Dub Mod to embed the subtitles into the the video. There are alot of guides to this, probably on Videohelp or some other site. I always googles these types of things and they seem to work out. Hope it does for you somehow...

Both programs are freeware

You could try this method, I've never tried, but the guy who did the guide always seem to provide good stuff.

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic272736.html

Thanks for all the help.

I ened up using AutoGK, its an amazing program, like 5 different programs in one, including VSob. I ripped the video/audio/subtitle from DVD into a vob with DVD Decryter. Then I used AutoGK and loaded up the IFO and converted the vob into an avi with the ripped subtitles burned in. The avi looks great with nice subtitles. Then I used PSPVideo9 to convert the avi into an mp4.

Normally it takes about an hour to go from DVD to PSP. But if you want subtitles and use AutoGK it takes a lot longer, around 4hrs for a 90min film. But its worth it, now I can take "Chunking Express" and "In The Mood For Love" on my trip (Im a huge Wong Kar-Wai fan).

Thanks again for all the help.

bread's done
Back