Siren: Blood Curse - Gen Discussion & Info

Could that be a part a [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Kanji symbol on the right?

>>I have no clue how to read this, but I wonder if this could be the same symbol (first one below).

Japanese dai ori ooburi (n,vs) heavy rain, storm
[/SIZE][/FONT]
おおぶり

Searching for storm or heavy rain since we know that is a title of a game, and I see rain drops plus hear wild weather in the background sounds.

The hiragana in the corner looks like さ which in romaji is "sa" I'm sure more will scroll across the screen as time goes on.

The color scheme makes me think Siren, which I haven't played yet, but will eventually.

Good catch on Heavy Rain, it does seem about the time for them to reveal the game to the media and public since they've been releasing small teasers for a while.

The subtitle for Heavy Rain is The Origami Paper killer or something similar. The two describing what sounds like an attack on a woman and a third man stepping in to try and help sounds like it could be either game. The rippling red water and sound of heavy rainfall could be Heavy Rain, but in Siren the town was surrounded by a sea of blood. I can't quite make out the details on the female's voice, but it doesn't sound like the girl from the casting video they had a while back.

Either way, good teaser there, we should see something revealed in 1.5 days, and honestly, it's about time we got a next-gen survival horror game besides a resident evil game.

[quote name='bigl523']The hiragana in the corner looks like さ which in romaji is "sa" I'm sure more will scroll across the screen as time goes on.[/quote]

I had to make the font bigger to see it right , it does look similar.

[quote name='Vanigan'] I can't quite make out the details on the female's voice, but it doesn't sound like the girl from the casting video they had a while back.
[/quote]

I don't think the "Casting" trailer has anything to do with the game, it was just a technology demo.

I'd love this to be fore Heavy Rain but I doubt it will be.

Actually, the casting was actually the actress they initially casted to play one of the characters in Heavy Rain. I think she was from Quebec or France, but her english was great with a tiny accent.

This seems more like Siren, or something similar, but either way it's a good thing. With Fatal Frame going to the Wii instead of PS3, we need some good next-gen horror games for the system.

Everyone says it's Siren... but that's too obvious. Logic prevails that it's probably something like a new Crash Bandicoot

I think the text is misleading. If they were trying to spell "siren" they would use katakana since it's not a true japanese word and we'd see "サ" instead (which also is "sa" in romaji). Not that I'm saying its not siren; just that the word shown will probably be something else as I would expect to see "サイレン" if they were going to put the title on the page.

[quote name='Vanigan']Actually, the casting was actually the actress they initially casted to play one of the characters in Heavy Rain. I think she was from Quebec or France, but her english was great with a tiny accent.

This seems more like Siren, or something similar, but either way it's a good thing. With Fatal Frame going to the Wii instead of PS3, we need some good next-gen horror games for the system.[/quote]
That reminds me, Heavy Rain is coming out from a French dev and being published by SCEE isn't it. So it definitely wouldn't have been announced on SCEJ's site, or am I wrong.

Also, if this is for a new Siren, are we (in the US) going to get the second Siren game anytime soon?

[quote name='Zoglog']Everyone says it's Siren... but that's too obvious. Logic prevails that it's probably something like a new Crash Bandicoot[/quote]
Why would Sony be making a Crash Bandicoot game?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167414

Famitsu blew the surprise, which is that it's a remake of the first Siren for the PS3. Comes out in Japan on July 24 with a demo in the Japan PS Store on April 25.[/quote]

That isn't really blowing the surprise. That was already known. Demo info and everything. Here are some recent scans though:

[quote name='NamPaehc']That isn't really blowing the surprise. That was already known. Demo info and everything. Here are some recent scans though:

[/quote]
So the countdown wasn't meant to be for a surprise? If this was already known, why's it just now coming out?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']So the countdown wasn't meant to be for a surprise? If this was already known, why's it just now coming out?[/quote]

I don't know, I already heard about the remake before. So I'm just saying that it wasn't surprising that they were doing one. Meh. /shrug.

wooo remakes = easy $$$!!!

Though I do admit I wouldn't mind if they remade MGS1 (no Twin snakes doesn't count) with better graphics and gameplay, man that stuff looks fugly when you look at it nowadays.

Not quite so easy. High res art assets are a lot more time consuming to make. Whereas a character from the PS2 generation would only take a few weeks to finalize for an artist, a modern PS3/360 level character would take months due to the complexity and expectations. The joint deformations have to look right, same for skin shaders, eyes, facial expressions.

Heck, if they didn't record the dialog well enough, they might have to go an rerecord it, or at least remaster it.

Of course it's still easier to make since some things, including the plot and game structure are all finished. They just have to tweak it. And frankly, the premise of Siren was just freaky.

I'm happy to see this remake as it saves me the time of getting the original Siren, and I still get to play it with new next gen graphics.

Now to go back and finish Fatal Frame 2 and 3.

The OP needs to change the thread title to Siren: New Translation - Gen Discussion & Info" or something like that (so people know there is a Siren thread).

Here are some quick .gifs that look cool:
3021ctf.gif

wvu5vk.gif

There's a pretty good chance this game will get another chance, but probably won't be marketed much.

I guarantee this game will come to Europe (they got all Siren games) and PS3 is region free. Only problem is if Europe gets it 2nd, the U.S. will not see it until the end of the 2008 or even 2009 (since SCEE has to translate and approve for 16 or so countries).

It was bad enough when we got endless SNES remakes on the GBA.

Then the PS1 remakes on the Gamecube. (And now PS3 - Warhawk!)

Now we're getting PS2 *remakes*?!

Bullshit.

Jeers to Sony for this crap.

There are a ton of horror games that were released on PS2 in Japan that didn't make it to North America.

Why not release one of those instead? Or the new horror game...Ima-whateveritscalled that came out last November for PS3. You know, a *new* game.

Hell, Michigan already got released in Europe, so it would be easy to port over as the translation's already done.

But no. We have to get a fucking remake of a PS2 game.

It didn't sell well the first time and got mid level reviews, like 7s, if I recall correctly.

And this is the kind of title they want to release *again*?

Face palm.

MGS, Resident Evil, Bionic Commando, I can understand these remakes, even if I don't like them.

A game that got average scores that came out last gen and not many people remember is being remade?

Waste of time, effort and money.

Sony = The New Nintendo.

If any game deserved to be remade, it was Siren.
Aside from Silent Hill 1, it has to be the creepiest game made.
Its vision just wasn't fully realized on PS2, so it's nice to see it get a second chance.

That other horror PS3 game you mentioned was just a 'choose your own adventure' type thing with lots of reading and static images.
And I don't know of Hell, Michigan was even made by Sony.

[quote name='dallow']
That other horror PS3 game you mentioned was just a 'choose your own adventure' type thing with lots of reading and static images.
And I don't know of Hell, Michigan was even made by Sony.[/quote]

Considering games like Phoenix Wright are pretty much the same thing, it would be cool to see a game like that released overseas.

Michigan was made by Grasshopper and Suda 51 (of Killer 7 and No More Heroes fame)

I think a remake comes because the developers wanted to do a lot more with the graphics on PS2, but couldn't, so they want to do this on PS3 because they can, before making another Siren. Wild Arms devs re-did Wild Arms on PS2.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I think a remake comes because the developers wanted to do a lot more with the graphics on PS2, but couldn't, so they want to do this on PS3 because they can, before making another Siren. Wild Arms devs re-did Wild Arms on PS2.[/quote]

And that was *just* as pointless.

Do we need PS2 remakes while the PS2 is still selling well?

fuck NO!

Sony is only going to take back the market share it has lost with strong *original* games. The same way they convinced everyone to buy the PS1 and PS2.

This is not helping matters.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']
It was bad enough when we got endless SNES remakes on the GBA.

Then the PS1 remakes on the Gamecube. (And now PS3 - Warhawk!)
Now we're getting PS2 *remakes*?!

Bullshit.

Jeers to Sony for this crap.

There are a ton of horror games that were released on PS2 in Japan that didn't make it to North America.

Why not release one of those instead? Or the new horror game...Ima-whateveritscalled that came out last November for PS3. You know, a *new* game.

Hell, Michigan already got released in Europe, so it would be easy to port over as the translation's already done.

But no. We have to get a fucking remake of a PS2 game.

It didn't sell well the first time and got mid level reviews, like 7s, if I recall correctly.

And this is the kind of title they want to release *again*?

Face palm.

MGS, Resident Evil, Bionic Commando, I can understand these remakes, even if I don't like them.

A game that got average scores that came out last gen and not many people remember is being remade?

Waste of time, effort and money.

Sony = The New Nintendo.
[/quote]

Calling the PS3 Warhawk a remake of the PS1 Warhawk makes no sense. The two are nothing alike, aside from having the same name and similar planes/weapons. You want to complain about remakes, look at SquareEnix.

[quote name='mguiddy']Calling the PS3 Warhawk a remake of the PS1 Warhawk makes no sense. The two are nothing alike, aside from having the same name and similar planes/weapons. You want to complain about remakes, look at SquareEnix.[/quote]

I'm just as pissed off about the FF4 remake - but we're talking about Sony in this thread, not the DS.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']I'm just as pissed off about the FF4 remake - but we're talking about Sony in this thread, not the DS.[/quote]

People were talking about the remake of Siren that some of us are excited for then you went off on remakes. I don't really see to many remakes that Sony is doing for the PS3. Warhawk is not a remake at all. From what I have read the new Siren is not just a remake but more of a re-imagining, like Doom 3 was.

They didn't bring Michigan over because it got horrible reviews and from what I gathered had very little gameplay. You just watched what was going on and made decisions occasionally. I do agree with you that Sony should be releasing more of their japan and europe only horror games in america but i'll take what I can get. Hopefully this means that they are working on a siren 3 and this is just to get more interest in the series.

[quote name='mrlokievil'] People were talking about the remake of Siren that some of us are excited for then you went off on remakes. [/QUOTE]

Because I'm pissed off that we're getting a game that got average reviews *at best* on the PS2 and getting a pointless remake of it.

[quote name='mrlokievil']I don't really see to many remakes that Sony is doing for the PS3. Warhawk is not a remake at all. From what I have read the new Siren is not just a remake but more of a re-imagining, like Doom 3 was. [/QUOTE]

Dumbing it down, in other words. If Warhawk isn't a remake, then why have the name? Why not call it something new?

[quote name='mrlokievil']They didn't bring Michigan over because it got horrible reviews and from what I gathered had very little gameplay. You just watched what was going on and made decisions occasionally. [/QUOTE]

Amazing how you can sum it up when you haven't played it.

[quote name='mrlokievil']I do agree with you that Sony should be releasing more of their japan and europe only horror games in america [/QUOTE]

Finally, you're saying something that makes sense.

[quote name='mrlokievil']but i'll take what I can get. [/QUOTE]

Then you're a sheep. Demand more.

Siren is actually much more than a remake, from the descriptions, it's pretty much a new game. It's very much a new game, almost a sequel since to get the graphics up to this level they'd have to rebuild all the game content from scratch. About the only thing they could reuse is some concept art.

The plot is also slightly different as it doesn't stay with the same characters from the original. Instead, this time the plot focuses on an American news team getting caught up in the Siren incident. It's not quite a full sequel that covers a different Siren incident, but the new character vantage points makes it an interesting side story.

New character, new areas, updated game mechanics, and better marketing.

Another thing is that horror games really do benefit from the latest in console graphics and powers. This isn't for the flashy special effects, instead, it requires a lot of processing power to do very subtle image processing effects. Same for gameplay.

Nephla, your last comment is way out of line. Mrlokievil was being reasonable and you have to bust out an insult for no reason? You've clearly got a chip on your shoulder this morning, probably something in your real life that's causing this tantrum, but keep it reasonable and stop putting words in other people's mouths, especially with reasonable people who are trying to have a good discussion with you.

[quote name='Vanigan'] Siren is actually much more than a remake, from the descriptions, it's pretty much a new game.

The plot is also slightly different as it doesn't stay with the same characters from the original.

New character, new areas, updated game mechanics, and better marketing. [/quote]

Then why call it Siren? It's just pointless cashing in - like the Bionic Commando remake.

[quote name='Vanigan']Another thing is that horror games really do benefit from the latest in console graphics and powers. This isn't for the flashy special effects, instead, it requires a lot of processing power to do very subtle image processing effects. Same for gameplay.[/quote]

Then make a new fucking game! Don't base your future on games from last gen that didn't sell very well!

[quote name='Vanigan']Nephla, your last comment is way out of line. Mrlokievil was being reasonable and you have to bust out an insult for no reason? You've clearly got a chip on your shoulder this morning, probably something in your real life that's causing this tantrum, [/quote]

If you call out-reasoning someone who is obviously wrong a tantrum fine, but you clearly have alot to learn about debate.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What do you have against Bionic Commando Rearmed?[/quote]

Against it specifically? Nothing.

Against it in general? It's a remake. A pointless rehash. The continued cannibalisation of gaming that getting worse year by year as companies spend more and more on prettying up old games instead of making new ones.

And do we honestly need *two* remakes of the same fucking game in one year?!

I have nothing against Siren being remade, though it would have indeed been nice to get a new one (not getting 2 over here is a kick in the ass). The original was creepy as hell, and assuming the game retails for a price befitting a remake (thinking no more than 30, and assuming it comes to NA), I would pick it up again to check out the new additions and tweaks they made.

[quote name='mberkes']I have nothing against Siren being remade, and assuming the game retails for a price befitting a remake (thinking no more than 30, and assuming it comes to NA), I would pick it up again to check out the new additions and tweaks they made.[/quote]

Then you are part of the problem.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Against it specifically? Nothing.

Against it in general? It's a remake. A pointless rehash. The continued cannibalisation of gaming that getting worse year by year as companies spend more and more on prettying up old games instead of making new ones.

And do we honestly need *two* remakes of the same fucking game in one year?![/quote]
Two? There's Rearmed, the remake, and the next-gen Bionic Commando, that's not a remake, but takes place some time, 10 years I think, after the original. So where's the second remake?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Two? There's Rearmed, the remake, and the next-gen Bionic Commando, that's not a remake, but takes place some time, 10 years I think, after the original. So where's the second remake?[/quote]

I've never seen it specifically say it takes place 10 years after. All I've seen is that it's a "reimagining". (Aka remake)

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Then you are part of the problem.[/quote]
Hahaha, you REALLY hate remakes, don't you? I'll bet you're part of the problem leading to greenhouse emissions but I don't give a crap about that, even though it's a much bigger issue than buying a remake of a game! They're naming it Siren, but that has no impact on the game itself. It's new story, new format, new content, new graphics; get over the fact that they 'messed up' by calling it by an old game's name and I'm sure you would enjoy the game itself. I don't see how they'd be cashing in on remaking an old game anyways, it's not as if the sales numbers were stellar in the first place!

bread's done
Back