Contest (CAG Foreplay #40): Win Barnyard Blast (DS)

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
As detailed in CAG Foreplay Podcast #40, Destination Software was kind enough to donate a copy of Barnyard Blast: Swine of the Night for the Nintendo DS.

If you're not familiar with the game, here's what I wrote about it a few week's back:

Barnyard Blast Dev. Sanuk Games Pub. Destination Software Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
Now here's a rather unique title that pays homage to both retro horror games like Castlevania and Ghosts n' Goblins and scrolling shooters like Metal Slug and Alien Hominid. You are Robert Belmart, "Swine of the Night", on a mission to save your piglet son, Cliffy Belmart, after he was caught tee-peeing the local ancient castle of darkness. Apparently, creatures of the night don't take kindly to that, so you must brandish your whip, shotgun, and various other weapons to take them out in this scrolling, platforming shooter. If it all comes together, I'll be happier than a pig in a blanket... mowing down zombies. - ship

Listen to the show for details on how to win (or just copy the trend that you see forming of those that actually listened)! Winner will be announced on the next CAG Foreplay. One winner will be chosen at random.

Good luck everyone and thanks again to Destination Software!

I've gotta go with River City Ransom. I've already got the GBA version and I've got the Wii points in my account for it's release next week on the VC, but I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Assassin's Creed or God of War

Was going to say either Crimson Skies or Ninja Gaiden, but they both already kind of have, with Snoopy vs the Red Barron, & I-Ninja.

As I try to come up with a good idea for a game spoof, I think to myself, you need to have a real zany idea. If it's a one time chuckle at the gimick, it's probably not going to be a good spoof. Of course, you need a good game to sustain it too, but anyway.

What about all those DS pet sims you guys are always talking about? Maybe a reverse pet sim where you work in a pet retirement home and usher them out of this mortal coil. (Please don't hate me Mrs. Ship, I was just trying to come up with a funny ideas, I'm not advocating violence against animals!)

Trauma Center comes to mind too. I'm not sure how exactly, but what about a robot repair game? You could interact with pastiches of famous robots from sci-fi movies and TV. Really, think about it, you could do a lot of different robots. There's R2 and 3P0, the Terminator, Johnny 5, Optimus Prime, Rosie the Maid, KITT, Data, the MST Robots, the Robot from Lost in Space, etc. Obviously, you're never going to get all those licenses, but change things up just enough to avoid copyright infringement and I think you could have a really fun and funny game. Have them come in complaining of ailments, fix them up, and have a little interaction on the way. Controls would basically be the same as the Wii version, but you'd use the laser a lot more often. :) And a welder.

Myst!

You'd have to find the plunger to suck out the rabbit so he'll go eat the carrot jamming the gear that switches the track for the quarter-sized technicolor steam engine. Or something like that.

~Justme8800

I think the best spoof of a video game would have to be on a game that takes itself way too seriously, Madden. EA doesnt have exclusive rights to the game of football. So you get 20 teams with ridiculous names like the Springfield Ninnypinchers and the Talahassee Bjorks and you have a merry old game of ball. But instead of bone crushing sound effects for the hits you hear the squeak of a plastic toy hammer. Plus there are power-up that, instead of making you run faster, you run into people and they explode with a burst of spring flowers. Like the NFL there are no player celebrations after touchdowns but have no fear! After you score a touchdown you get tackled by Kittens (War Kittens?) but the opposing team is all allergic... lesson there is dont let them score or you will get itchy eyes. In this game there is no Super Bowl, only a final boss fight against Bill Belichick in sumo suits (or bear suits).

I'd have to vote for Mega Man too. It'd be cool to have you be a Chameleon character that gets the abilities of all the other Animal bosses you defeat.

Resident Evil... I could see you in a bizzare daycare, hitting toddlers with fluffy pillows. I'd probably perfer it too, because survival horror games scare me.

bread's done
Back