GoGamer Madness (4/16) Quake Wars CE (PC) $15, Vegas 2 (360) $45, Ass. Creed (PC) $33

I downloaded the demo of Quake Wars and wasnt impressed at all. The voices sound like crap...all muddy and scatchy...and it seems to run like old Quake 3...with choppy animation for the characters and no *SOLID* feeling when you shoot someone. It's not even close to Team Fortress 2 in terms of polish.

Have they made any significant improvements to it with the patches?

[quote name='Capitalizt']I downloaded the demo of Quake Wars and wasnt impressed at all. The voices sound like crap...all muddy and scatchy...and it seems to run like old Quake 3...with choppy animation for the characters and no *SOLID* feeling when you shoot someone. It's not even close to Team Fortress 2 in terms of polish.

Have they made any significant improvements to it with the patches?[/QUOTE]

Yes. They've put out a couple of patches since release and have improved the gameplay balance, fixed a number of bugs, and improved MOD support. A number of folks were unhappy with the low number of maps (12) but the first 5 or 6 community-developed maps are playable now. The "official" support by Activision has ended, but the original developers are working directly with ID to make sure that support continues going forward. An official competition patch and another gameplay patch are both in beta currently.

They've also released an updated demo based on the new patch level, if you haven't tried the demo recently, give it another whirl.

At $15 this is a steal.

I'd pick up Advent Rising if it wasn't already $5 at GameStop. LOTR: BFME2 was also $10 around the time I picked it up, but then again, that was CompUSA during its clearance days.

I really wish they'd throw up Brothers In Arms or Godfather. :(

Tempted by RSV2 and Galactic civ.... really want galactic civ but it doesn't include dark avatar.... anyone know where i can pick up dark avatar cheap... man I keep adding to my back log of games :D

Dark avatar is the first expansion.... dread lords is the name of Galactic civ 2... the next expansion coming out is twilight of the Arnor coming out this month...

playing around in the beta for quake wars I loved it. Nice fast paced "arcade" feel fps.

and assassin's creed would be a good buy, you can use the money you save to help build the time machine you'll need to play it.

[quote name='lowenbotten']No, the link is not wrong. The e-mail GoGamer sent out said the Gold Edition would be $9.90 but that's not the case when you go to their site. They screwed up.[/QUOTE]

Oh i see, so their email was wrong?

Wow, some really nice prices. Still kicking myself for getting the non-CE import of Quake Wars a while ago from Gogamer for $20. Barely even played it. Wonder if I should just get the CE from this sale and sell my other copy to someone else...

Tron 2.0 is actually pretty good for that price. It's made by Monolith (the same developers behind No One Lives Forever and F.E.A.R.), and it's decent fun for an FPS.

Surprised to find Tron around anymore. Now if only I could find AvP2 Gold Edition for $5 or less somewhere, I know like half a dozen people that want to play the game with my 2 friends that have the game, but I literally can't find it anywhere. Should've just bought 10 copies of it when circuitcity.com had it for $5 a pop :/

[quote name='Edge']Tron 2.0 is actually pretty good for that price. It's made by Monolith (the same developers behind No One Lives Forever and F.E.A.R.), and it's decent fun for an FPS. [/quote]

Don't forget Shogo :mrgreen:

Was gonna bite on Ass Creed but realized It's not the US version.
Oh well it should hit $40 in a few weeks anyways, and $20 in a few months? lol. I'm bidding on eBay already.

Ass Creed, lol.

I'd grab Vegas 2 but I've got so many unplayed games right now... Vegas 1 is still in the damn shrinkwrap, lol. I know once GTA4 comes out I won't be playing shit else but that, so...

Good post, though.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']Dark avatar is the first expansion.... dread lords is the name of Galactic civ 2... the next expansion coming out is twilight of the Arnor coming out this month...[/QUOTE]

Okay, thanks for explaining!

[quote name='nikkai']Is Ass Creed better than having street creed?[/quote]

no but its worse than having street CRED! what is street creed?

Anyone else order Gal Civ II Dread Lords from this deal? I just got mine and it was the non-gold version and I thought the deal was for the Gold version.

I'd say the thing I hated most about Quake Wars was how many 1-way choke points where in the demo. That, along with a *railgun* in a Battlefield-2 wannabe ( dear God, NO! ), tended to mean rail gun fights and nothing more, which really defeats the purpose of a broad-based shooter like that. ( This is why the Sniper gun isn't the end all weapon in BF2. It's always why BF 2142 sucks, because as a Commander I can assure you, more than half the team snipes. It's absolutely retarded. ) ( Ok, there are more reasons why 2142 isn't as good as 2, but I don't have time to list them all. ;) )

Hmmm...I do *love* Quake, though. I'm willing to give an improved demo a shot later tonight. I'll post my impressions on it. I was very sad when I played the original demo and realized it was one of the crappiest games I had played in a long time.

bread's done
Back