The conduit: Will be at ComicCon 2009 @ NYC.

blackbird3216

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
All you need to know is that it's a fps published by sega.
Proof:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj48/Darkspine_S/ConduitPublisher.jpg

This was the same way sonic unleashed was found out about.
Today IGN gave out a preview about "the condult", which is the first FPS built ground up for the wii ever since Red steel. The developers want to push the wii both gameplay wise and graphics wise. Does anyone think this will actually be any good?

http://wii.ign.com/articles/867/867498p1.html

http://wii.ign.com/articles/874/874796p1.html

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14248157/the-conduit/videos/raptorignne.html

Interview:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/887/887708p1.html
It's supposed to be released in the 1Q of 09. Publisher is unknown.
Graphics are improved alot from the last build.

Last edited by a moderator:
Graphical style isn't particularly interesting, and the developer is a no-name... so... no, I don't think this'll be good.

[quote name='Chacrana']Graphical style isn't particularly interesting, and the developer is a no-name... so... no, I don't think this'll be good.[/QUOTE]

While I actually agree, the same was said about Retro/Metroid Prime.

I'm sure you'll come back and say Metroid Prime sucks though.

OP: It's "conduit," with an i. "Condult" isn't a word as far as I know.

This actually looks really cool. I'm not too big of an FPS enthusiast, but I would buy this just to send the message that I approve of the following statement. I will reward your effort with my dollars!

[quote name='Kerry Ganofsky, CEO and founder, High Voltage Software'] We think it's a real shame that publishers and developers aren't taking advantage of the technical possibilities of the Wii platform. Most Wii games don't even look as good as the later day PS2 titles and that's a real slap in the face to consumers. [/quote]

Its a huge risk. Red Steel had the powerhouse marketing of Ubisoft behind it and struck during the launch window. Secondarily, the Wii base hasnt shown a fondness for shooters, generally.

[quote name='Strell']While I actually agree, the same was said about Retro/Metroid Prime.

I'm sure you'll come back and say Metroid Prime sucks though.

OP: It's "conduit," with an i. "Condult" isn't a word as far as I know.[/QUOTE]

Naw, Metroid Prime 1 is one of my favorite games ever, Metroid Prime 2 was really good (though not as good), and 3 was amazing. Retro had Nintendo guiding them with that shit though, so I think that's partially responsible.

The dev in question here is just... a complete non-factor, the game doesn't seem to have much ambition, and the shots don't look promising... there's just no reason to think this would be good.

I'm always up for a FPS on the Wii as long as it has some form of multi player.

Red Steel I bit the bullet on because it was a launch title and launches are always bare bones where one has to decide which two games they want to buy with the system (well on average I buy two games, some people buy more at launch) and I picked up Red Steel and Zelda.

These days however (with the exception of maybe Metroid Prime series) a FPS *must* have some multi player to keep me entertained.

The tech demo was great IMO. Also, that robot/alien thing in the screen shot looked really cool.

Really hope this doesn't suck. The Wii could definitely use some awesome FPS games.

Negative attitudes and low sales for this will just have more games be shit ports for the wii... These guys are publicly saying what all of us on the forums have been saying, that the 3rd party developers are scared and lazy and all that jazz. If they flop, not only will it be embarrassing as hell for them, we can also expect nothing third will be coming to the wii that isn't a port or some shallow thing.

FPS's on the Wii just don't cut it. Yeah, MP3 was a decent game, but mostly because it's predecessors were decent games. The waggle and aiming didn't really add much to the game. In fact, it took away from the game because of having to constantly point the damn controller at the screen the whole time. After about an hour, it's just too much of a pain in the ass to have to keep your arm in the air with the mote aimed at the screen constantly. Every FPS is just to goddamned tiring because of this.

[quote name='bmulligan']FPS's on the Wii just don't cut it. Yeah, MP3 was a decent game, but mostly because it's predecessors were decent games. The waggle and aiming didn't really add much to the game. In fact, it took away from the game because of having to constantly point the damn controller at the screen the whole time. After about an hour, it's just too much of a pain in the ass to have to keep your arm in the air with the mote aimed at the screen constantly. Every FPS is just to goddamned tiring because of this.[/quote]
Did you actually play MP3? If you had, you might have figured out that there's no reason to keep your arm suspended in midair (except perhaps stupidity).

The screenshots of the game look like it's still pretty early in development and the art style isn't the greatest I've ever seen, but the tech demo looks amazing. Hopefully Wii developers start using this engine.

Hopefully the game will pick up a publisher and it turns out to be good. The Wii needs more FPSs.

[quote name='tankexmortis']Did you actually play MP3? If you had, you might have figured out that there's no reason to keep your arm suspended in midair (except perhaps stupidity).[/QUOTE]

Yes, I played it and while you ddon't have to have your hand in mid-air, it's still tedious to have it constantly pointed at the screen. I have the same problem wiith splinter cell. It's just a pain in the ass to me.

I dunno I think it looks pretty good to me. I LOVED MP3 so I would be willing to try another FPS on the Wii. Some wiggle/waggle is OK as long as it works and it doesn't take away from other parts of the game.

IMO the graphics looks pretty great for a Wii game. They aren't the best ever but no one bought the Wii for its graphics power.

I'd like to see/hear more about it in the future.

[quote name='bmulligan']Yes, I played it and while you ddon't have to have your hand in mid-air, it's still tedious to have it constantly pointed at the screen. I have the same problem wiith splinter cell. It's just a pain in the ass to me.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like your setup is just not suited for this style of gameplay. I'm thinking that your tv is either mounted or just generally elevated. I have mine about level with my couch and I can aim fine with my hands resting on my lap.

[quote name='bmulligan']FPS's on the Wii just don't cut it. Yeah, MP3 was a decent game, but mostly because it's predecessors were decent games. The waggle and aiming didn't really add much to the game. In fact, it took away from the game because of having to constantly point the damn controller at the screen the whole time. After about an hour, it's just too much of a pain in the ass to have to keep your arm in the air with the mote aimed at the screen constantly. Every FPS is just to goddamned tiring because of this.[/quote]We'll have to disagree, since I found the controls to be infinitely more precise and intuitive on the Wii. I played Gears (or Halo, can't remember) with my brother-in-law shortly after playing MP3, and I felt like I didn't know what the hell I was doing (partly because I hold the nunchuk in my right hand, but dual analog controls have you aiming with your right thumb).

The engine looks generally impressive. The screens don't make it look like the next coming of Christ, but relative to everything else not developed by Nintendo, I don't see how someone could complain.

Well I am interested. I am a sucker for sci-fi fps especially with wii controls on par or better than MP3. Judging from the screens looks like wii has its Halo 1 killer (Joke) :)

Well, I'd say the graphics have potential. I'll have to see it in motion, of course, but the screens look clean and there's some nice bump-mapping in there.

And the devs *do* have a lot of experience: just on licensed titles, as far as I can tell. For example, they did the Hunter: the Reckoning games, and (cough, cough) 50 Cent: Bulletproof. This is their first IP of their own, so this *could* be a break-out title for them. I'm gonna go with Rolento and give it 50/50.

OK why is it everyone throws MP3 in with FPS games when they want to on this board and call it a FPA when it suits them. MP3 is NOT a FPS game at ALL. Its a great game don't get me wrong but shooting enemies was very secondary in the game it was more about exploration than anything else. I'd love to see a great shooter on the Wii(even though its not why I got the system) but I"m not holding my breath on this one till I see more.

It looks kinda cool.. but I just don't see any shooting game playing well on the Wii. It's a bitch to always have the Wiimote pointed at the screen too. I liked how RE4 was handled.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']These days however (with the exception of maybe Metroid Prime series) a FPS *must* have some multi player to keep me entertained.[/quote]

I have a similar stance. The requirements for me to buy an FPS are, in order of importance:

1) Great controls
2) Great multiplayer -or- great storyline
3) Don't look like crap

MP3 fit 1 2 and 3 nicely and I was happy with the purchase as an FPS for the Wii.

With that said, these screenshots remind me of HL2, and I think that's a good thing:

the-conduit-20080417032703348.jpg

the-conduit-20080417033651743.jpg

If the controls are sharp (yay for IR aiming, boo for waggle) and the story and/or multiplayer deliver, then I'm buying it.

I actually find single player aspects of shooters keep me more occupied than the multiplayer. I've spent dozens of hours in Timeplitters' (all of them) mini side missions and games.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I actually find single player aspects of shooters keep me more occupied than the multiplayer. I've spent dozens of hours in Timeplitters' (all of them) mini side missions and games.[/quote]
Yup. Much as I love blasting the hell out of my buddies, I absolutely prefer single-player FPSs. Maybe I just played too much Goldeneye back in the day, but aside from Timesplitters I've gotten pretty damn bored with the multiplayer side of the genre; especially when compared to works of art like the Half-Life series.

I don't think it's been mentioned, but for those interested, the engine they're building does have online functionality built in, with lobbies and the like.

It's sad that out of all genres, an FPS feels like a breathe of fresh air. But thats how it is on Wii. With only two games that feature good FPS controls, one being an adventure game and the other feeling dated, it's nice to see a true solid effort in this type of game on Wii. I'm glad they went the route of customizable controls over MP3's forced (although decent) setups.

Wii really had a chance to redefine the FPS genre, though this game, regardless of quality, is probably too little to late. Also, aside from your trigger finger, if you get tired during a Wiii FPS, you're doing it wrong.

EDIT: Character models need work. At least make the hand look better if the player will be staring at it the entire game.

if pointing the controller at the screen is difficult then maybe your arm muscles need a little more work.

I'm glad a 3rd party developer is finally trying to make a game for the Wii instead of doing a cheap port. Whether or not this game ends up being good, at least they tried unlike the rest of the lazy developers. Plus, even if this game fails, the engine might be sold to other developers who will bring more games to the Wii hopefully.

[quote name='PhoenixT']OK why is it everyone throws MP3 in with FPS games when they want to on this board and call it a FPA when it suits them. MP3 is NOT a FPS game at ALL.[/quote]Simple. Even though MP3 was adventure and not a shooter, its controls set the standard for future FPS' on the Wii.

alright Crotch I"ll go with that part of it. Just feels like when someone dogs it as a shooter everyone jumps on them and says its not then they call it one later its kinda flaky which is why I made the comment.

I know what you're saying, and I definitely agree that it's an FPA. It's just an FPA that handles like exactly like an FPS for the most part.

I guess it was only me that found COD4 boring after the freaking cheap import wii MoH2. The controls really get it for me.

[quote name='The Crotch']I know what you're saying, and I definitely agree that it's an FPA. It's just an FPA that handles like exactly like an FPS for the most part.[/QUOTE]

every time you said FPA in there I don't know why but I read it as "FAP".... >_>

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']every time you said FPA in there I don't know why but I read it as "FAP".... >_>[/quote]That's my natural reaction to Metroid Prime 3, too.

[quote name='Swingman']if pointing the controller at the screen is difficult then maybe your arm muscles need a little more work.

I'm glad a 3rd party developer is finally trying to make a game for the Wii instead of doing a cheap port. Whether or not this game ends up being good, at least they tried unlike the rest of the lazy developers. Plus, even if this game fails, the engine might be sold to other developers who will bring more games to the Wii hopefully.[/QUOTE]

And maybe you should take your pecker out of your Wii slot.

It would be different if the Wiimote could actually calculate the position of the remote instead of referencing it to the IR lights for motion. Every time you stop to use the D-pad in MP and your mote veers off the screen, you have to spend that 1/2 second to "re-aim", so to speak, and get your bearings on where the mote is pointed, making sure it's directly at the screen and not off it. It's not tiring in a physical sense, it's more like the tedium of having to do busywork fucking with the control for half the time instead of being able to enjoy the game.

I just found it frustrating, and I don't have the time to waste being frustrated while playing games. I do enough work in real life and I don't need the aggravation in my leisure time.

That being said, I'm still a sucker for FPS's and have bought almost every one offered for Wii. I'll undoubtedly pick this game up at some point to see if it's any good.

[quote name='bmulligan']Every time you stop to use the D-pad in MP and your mote veers off the screen, you have to spend that 1/2 second to "re-aim", so to speak, and get your bearings on where the mote is pointed, making sure it's directly at the screen and not off it.[/quote]Does anyone know what he's talking about? I loaned my copy of MP3 out to my brother, so I can't check right now. But since I had missiles mapped to down on the D-pad, I think I would have noticed something like that...

[quote name='bmulligan']
It would be different if the Wiimote could actually calculate the position of the remote instead of referencing it to the IR lights for motion. Every time you stop to use the D-pad in MP and your mote veers off the screen, you have to spend that 1/2 second to "re-aim", so to speak, and get your bearings on where the mote is pointed, making sure it's directly at the screen and not off it. It's not tiring in a physical sense, it's more like the tedium of having to do busywork fucking with the control for half the time instead of being able to enjoy the game.

I just found it frustrating, and I don't have the time to waste being frustrated while playing games. I do enough work in real life and I don't need the aggravation in my leisure time.
[/QUOTE]

You need to go play CoD4 and try to not move your character when holding your breath during sniper missions.

It took me a while to get used to that.

[quote name='The Crotch']Does anyone know what he's talking about? I loaned my copy of MP3 out to my brother, so I can't check right now. But since I had missiles mapped to down on the D-pad, I think I would have noticed something like that...[/quote]
Again, he's doing it wrong or his TV is in a weird position or something. I have no problems with that at all. I found the MP3 scheme far, far easier than struggling with two analog sticks. In fact, I'd say it's right up there with a Trackpoint keyboard for my favorite FPS control scheme.

[quote name='rgd2blck']

With that said, these screenshots remind me of HL2, and I think that's a good thing:
[/quote]

I agree this game does look very Half Life-ish, and that is a very good thing.

Watching the video, it reminds me of the Unreal 3 Engine demo. Graphically-less impressive, but still good for the Wii. It could use some more textures and bump-mapping on the armor and helmet. Hopefully they'll have some cool physics. The Unreal 3 Engine demo did show off some Half Life 2-like physics, which I found cool at the time.

I find it ironic I'm saying this after what the president of Epic said about the Wii today...

Count me among those who'd be happy to buy this if it gets done and is halfway decent. I'm still looking for a quality FPS for the Wii (preferably with a not-so-realistic theme, not interested in blasting Germans in Yet Another WWII Shooter), and I'm fairly supportive of High Voltage Software -- I still remember them from their days as a Jaguar developer, after all (their Jaguar port of NBA Jam: Tournament Edition was easily the best home console version of the game at the time :))

--R.J.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']looks like it's 50/50, but at least it's original and probably better than most Wii games.[/quote]

It may be an original IP but "futuristic FPS" were played out a long, long time ago.

[quote name='Rozz']It may be an original IP but "futuristic FPS" were played out a long, long time ago.[/QUOTE]

Like what the 90's, doesn't stop the companies from putting them, out Blakestone for the win!

I would say the FPS has been played out for some time now...

[quote name='bmulligan']And maybe you should take your pecker out of your Wii slot.

That being said, I'm still a sucker for FPS's and have bought almost every one offered for Wii. I'll undoubtedly pick this game up at some point to see if it's any good.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should learn how to be civil with other posters.

"After about an hour, it's just too much of a pain in the *** to have to keep your arm in the air with the mote aimed at the screen constantly. Every FPS is just to god***ed tiring because of this."

The above quote from you doesn't say anything about your frustrations with re-aiming. It's not my fault your original post was too vague. Your original post made it sound like your arm got tired from pointing the wiimote.

Yes what you describe can be frustrating but that doesn't mean the motion controls don't add much to the game. Maybe it's too much for you to handle but obviously other people cope just fine.

bread's done
Back