CAG Foreplay #41: Princess Sparkles of Funland (4/23/08)

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of April 23rd, 2008. This week actually has some decent releases which is surprising considering the two big games coming out next week. There's a few quirky RPG's, some Pokemons, and some extremely reflective basketball players. Cory is also in the house.

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can also contact us with any questions or comments at [email protected] or [email protected].

Special thanks to www.GoDaddy.com for providing CAG Foreplay listeners with a code for domain names for just $6.95 a year. Just enter code "GAMER1" when you check out to get your savings.

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/foreplay/cagforeplay41.mp3[/media] [digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAG_Foreplay[/digg]

Multi-Platform

NBA Ballers: Chosen One Dev. Midway Pub. Midway Systems: 360, PS3 MSRP: $59.99
Midway's "lifestyle" basketball game enters the current gen era with really impressive player models... slathered in baby oil, polished, and then dipped into Crisco. Beneath the shiny coating, fans of the series should expect a familiar one-on-one style of arcade hoops with new "Act a Fool" offensive moves and "Shut 'Em Down" defensive moves. And of course, the game revolves around obtaining as much bling as possible, so I'll be able to floss out my 5'11" pale, red-headed create-a-character. Looks fun, and entirely too hip for me. - ship

Best Deal:
Best Buy is offering a free Dwight Howard DVD with the purchase of the Xbox 360 version of NBA Ballers: Chosen One.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Best Buy $59.99 (Free Dwight Howard DVD with purchase)
:360: Purchase At Family Video $57.68 (99 cent shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $57.68 (99 cent shipping)

Wii

Battle of the Bands Dev. Planet Moon Studios Pub. THQ Systems: Wii MSRP: $49.99
This rhythm-inspired title (also known as Band Mashups) features cartoon graphics and a varied style of music to play along to. There are 30 well-known tracks in the game, and each can be played in one of five musical genres: rock, hip hop/funk, country, latin, and marching band. The typical notes scrolling that correspond to buttons prevails, but instead of hitting a blue or red button, the gamer must move the wii-mote left, right, at the screen, or shake it. Of course, if you perform your moves with ultra accuracy, you'll also be able to physically attack the other band with weapons that speed up their music, reverse their notes, etc... Overall, it looks like a solid game and previewers reported solid controls. The price point seems a bit high at $50. But, if you're aching to hear Man of Constant Sorrow as a Latin piece, this title is for you! - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Battle of the Bands.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Deep Discount $48.99 (Free shipping)

Heavenly Guardian Dev. Starfish Pub. UFO Systems: Wii MSRP: $19.99
(Deja Preview) There once was a quirky series of games on the Super Nintendo called "Pocky & Rocky" that mixed overhead adventure style gaming with SHMUP-like gameplay. Pocky was a little girl that threw cards and Rocky was her Raccoon friend that attacked with leaves. What does this have to do with Heavenly Guardian? Well, before licensing issues got in the way, this game was supposed to be the next installment of Pocky & Rocky. So Pocky has been replaced with some other girl and Rocky has been turned into a rabbit, but the fun and unique gamestyle remains. Best of all, the game retains the 2D sprite look and still supports two player same-screen co-op. Now do I play as the little girl or the bunny? - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Heavenly Guardian.

:wii: Purchase At EB Games $19.99

Target: Terror Dev. Leviathan Games Pub. Konami Systems: Wii MSRP: $39.99
Light gun fans have recently been treated to two excellent ports on the Wii in the forms of Sega's Ghost Squad and House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return. Both offered great arcade gameplay and could be picked up a few weeks after their releases for less than $20. I think probably everyone can see where I'm going with this. Target: Terror is not nearly half as good as those two games and it's double the price. It's a 2004 arcade game that looks like a 1994 arcade game with digitized FMV graphics that would make the Sega CD proud. I can't wait for Konami to bust out the inevitable $40 version of Crypt Killer. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Target: Terror.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Deep Discount $38.99 (Free shipping)

Wild Earth: African Safari Dev. Super X Studios Pub. Majesco Systems: Wii MSRP: $29.99
This title is a picture-taking safari sim that's based on the PC title of the same name. Playing as a photo journalist, the game play revolves around getting the best picture of the animals you encounter. There's also a mini-game that features some Wii-mote action and the game supports multi-player (up to 3 players). Even if this title makes you want to don a safari hat, $40 seems a bit pricey. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Wild Earth: African Safari.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

DS

Cory in the House Dev. Disney Interactive Studios Pub. Disney Interactive Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Holy crap, there's a spin-off to That's so Raven?!?! And the premise is that this "Cory" (sadly not of Boy Meets World fame) is the son of a culinary mastermind who gets a new job as the head chef at the White House. Cory then befriends Newt, the son of the Chief Justice, and Meena, daughter of the Bahavian Ambassador and, whaddya know, hijinks ensue . This sounds wonderful. Why was I not alerted of this sooner? The actual game centers around an evil toy manufacturer getting ahold of Cory's Presidential bobble-heads and then using them to hypnotize all of Washington. So it's up to you to help Cory, Newt, and Meena sneak around the baddies, employ zany gadgets, and play requisite mini-games. Aww yeah, that's so Cory! - ship

Best Deal:
Amazon is offering Cory in the House for $27 shipped.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $26.99 (Free shipping)

Dream Pinball 3D Dev. TopWare Pub. South Peak Interactive Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
(Deja Preview) This new pinball title features six original tables. The other new twist that has been added in is that the ball changes to different materials (steel, wood, marble) during game play. I'm not sure how this actually affects the game play, but it sounds like it could be slightly annoying. The Wii version controls with the nunchuk/Wii-mote or the classic NES controller. While the graphics are rumored to look decent (60 frames per second), the flipper animation is either "up" or "down" with no real in-between. So all those times you catch the ball on the flipper and slowly flick it elsewhere are a thing of the past. This has apparently been fixed for the DS version which comes out next week. I guess if you're looking for a DS pinball title, this one should work. As far as buying it for your Wii, skip it and buy The William's Collection instead. The PC version has been out as a downloadable since 2006 but was released in box form earlier this year. Bottom line: if you're wiling to pay $20 for 6 new tables, then you must really love pinball. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Dream Pinball 3D.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:ds: Purchase At Deep Discount $18.99 (Free shipping)

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness Dev. ChunSoft Pub. Nintendo Systems: DS MSRP: $34.99
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time Dev. ChunSoft Pub. Nintendo Systems: DS MSRP: $34.99
The plot of these titles revolves around a young boy who is turned into a Pokemon (one of 16, specifically Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Tododile, Treecko, Torchic, Turtwig, Piplup, Chimchar, Munchlax, Skitty, Chichorita, Mudkip, and Meowth) and is transported into the Pokemon world. Thankfully, the boy has Pokemon friends to help him navigate a series of dungeons and return home. The gameplay is indeed a dungeon crawler, focusing on a team of Pokemon (humanoid boy included) fighting wave after wave of baddies. Of course, any Pokemon title wouldn't be complete without a money-making twin title. The main differences between Darkness and Time are the exclusive items and Pokemon. Darkness offers Mewtwo and Time offers Celebi as playable characters. My biggest problem with the Pokemon titles is the random battles (they really annoy me), so the dungeon-crawling aspect appeals to me while keeping the turn-based RPG elements. These games are essentially upgrades of Mystery Dungeon Blue Rescue Team and Red Rescue Team for the Game Boy. Because of the wi-fi capabilities, there are also rescue missions (hence the name) that will pop up on your DS even when you're not playing. Overall, Pokemon fans should love these titles just because they're solid Pokemon games. Although they don't bring anything spectacularly new to the table, they're just different enough to peak my interest. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Circuit City is offering a free Pokemon action figure and 50% off the strategy guide with your purchase of either Explorers of Darkness or Explorers of Time. Toys R Us is offering $10 off when you buy any two Pokemon games. Family Video is offering either game for $33 shipped.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $34.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Toys R Us $34.99 (Save $10 when you buy any two Pokemon games)
:ds: Purchase At Circuit City $34.99 (Free Pokemon action figure and 50% off the strategy guide with purchase)
:ds: Purchase At Family Video $31.99 (99 cent shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Amazon $34.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Toys R Us $34.99 (Save $10 when you buy any two Pokemon games)
:ds: Purchase At Circuit City $34.99 (Free Pokemon action figure and 50% off the strategy guide with purchase)
:ds: Purchase At Family Video $31.99 (99 cent shipping)

River King: Mystic Valley Dev. Natsume Pub. Natsume Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
In preparation of this title's release, Ship and I dusted off the PS2 version and popped it in. The best way I can describe this title is to say that it's visually similar to Harvest Moon (all the characters look the same to me), and it's like taking just the fishing from Animal Crossing and forgetting all the stupid retrieval errands you had to run. How better do you describe a fishing RPG? The game play in the PS2 version is simple: pick your character and learn the back story as to why they need to catch the River King, a mystical uber-fish that is difficult to wrangle. In the new DS title, the goal is to catch the fish to save your sister who is in a coma. The fishing part of the game is easy to learn on the PS2, and no doubt will be even easier with the DS stylus. There are tons of customizable bait, lures, and poles to help you catch bigger and better fish. There's also several maps that your character explores and some interactions with the townspeople that further your storyline (cooking contests and fishing contests, mainly). I really enjoyed the PS2 version, and can see myself getting addicted to the DS version pretty quickly. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for River King: Mystic Valley.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

The World Ends with You Dev. Square Enix - Jupiter Pub. Square Enix Systems: DS MSRP: $39.99
This RPG set in modern-day Tokyo has been garnering rave reviews for its unique implementation of everything the DS has to offer. The action takes place on both screens as you control your main character with the stylus on the bottom screen and your supporting character on the top screen with the d-pad. The whole set-up sounds confusing and difficult, but reviewers have said that it actually works amazingly well and the game also offers nice difficulty sliders that allow you to customize just how involved you'd like to be. The whole package just looks like a quality RPG, and the Jet Set Radio type of graphic style and off-beat humor have me particularly intrigued. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for The World Ends with You.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Deep Discount $38.99 (Free shipping)

PlayStation 3

Call of Duty 4: Game of the Year Edition Dev. Infinity Ward Pub. Activision Systems: PS3 MSRP: $59.99
(Deja Preview) Most gamers won't need me to explain this well-known WWII first-person-shooter franchise. Except, of course, it's no longer set in WWII. The newest edition is set in modern times, location unnamed. The other thing that most gamers will remember from playing the COD4 beta is that your soldier becomes more skilled as you play. As your player levels up, new weapons, skills, and abilities become available. The levels cap at 65 (in the final game, this is rumor - the beta only went up to 55), and then the gamer has the choice of staying at 55 or restarting at level one in prestige mode with a bonus icon. All in all, this game is one that's been talked about for months, so you don't need a preview to recommend you buy it - most of you probably already have. - mrs. ship

The Game of the Year Edition includes the four new maps that were released on Xbox Live a couple weeks ago, so if you haven't picked this game up yet be sure to grab this version to save yourself $10. PlayStation 3 owners now have the chance to call in air strikes on exotic new locales. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Call of Duty 4: Game of the Year Edition.

PlayStation 2

Riding Star Dev. Valcon Pub. Valcon Systems: PS2 MSRP: $14.99
If you're thinking to yourself, "Shipwreck, don't we already have enough equestrian games featuring events like Cross Country, Show Jumping, and Dressage? Do I need this one in my collection as well?". Well, I've got two words for you: Ludger Beerbaum. This is the only game that features advice directly from the Ludgerator, so if you're a fan, maybe you should buy a copy so that he can sign it at the next family reunion. Or maybe you aren't a third cousin of Ludger and just like taking care of and dressing up poorly animated horses. Well, this might just be your horribly rendered bag of oats then. Keep your horse in top shape by picking out her hoof by pressing the "R2" button, or maybe you'd like to stop picking out her hoof - well, that feat of strength can be accomplished by pressing the "Triangle" button. But the fun doesn't stop there... your horse has three more hooves all ready to be R2ed and Triangled! All of this picking and not picking serves a vital role in your progression through the game because, as the press release reminds us, "Only together you will win!". Trust me, if you go out there and try to Dressage without a horse, the judges will not score you favorably. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Riding Star.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $14.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:ps2: Purchase At Deep Discount $13.99 (Free shipping)

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES Dev. Atlus Pub. Atlus Systems: PS2 MSRP: $29.99
(Deja Preview) Try saying that title three times fast. Set in a Japanese high school, this PS2 RPG title has a very anime feel to it. Your character fights demons at night but attend school during the day. And if that isn't bizarre enough, your character also has to shoot himself in the head on a regular basis. Warning: the first hour of gameplay is pretty passive, with loads of watching cut-scenes and reading dialogue. Once you get through that, I think you'll find this game well worth the $50 and the disappointment of playing it on a last-gen system. - mrs. ship

Here's what you need to know about the new release: the FES stands for Festival of Persona 3. The game includes the original Persona 3 with the FES adding 30 hours of gameplay in a storyline that begins after Persona 3 has ended. There's also a new "hard" difficulty setting, 23 new personas, and a new weapon synthesizing system. Oh, and you can customize your character's clothes now too. For $30, this is clearly a must buy if you love RPGs. Even better if you missed the game the first time out or, like Ship, never took the plastic wrap off of it. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Fry's is offering Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES for $25.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Fry's $24.99
:ps2: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

PSP

Chameleon Dev. Pub. UFO Systems: PSP MSRP: $19.99
(Deja Preview) The purpose of playing this hex-based puzzle game is to take over as many game board spots by changing them to your character's color. The DS version got mediocre reviews, although it appears as if not many people actually played the game at release. I'd wait and look for this one in the bargain bin. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Chameleon.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:psp: Purchase At Deep Discount $18.99 (Free shipping)

PC

Lineage II: The 4th Anniversary Edition Dev. NC Soft Pub. NC Soft Systems: PC MSRP: $39.99
This well-loved online RPG for the PC celebrates it's fourth anniversary by releasing an all-encompasing version. This compilation includes Harbingers of War, Age of Splendor, Rise of Darkness, Scions of Destiny, Oath of Blood, Interlude, The Kamael, and the new area, Hellbound. With this update, the level cap goes from 80 to 85 (can I get a whoo-hoo?) and the pet system includes new wolves to ride on (hell, yeah!). And here I thought the 4th anniversary was the flower anniversary. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Lineage II: The 4th Anniversary Edition.

:pc: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)

Sword of the Stars: Collector's Edition Dev. Kerberus Productions Pub. Lighthouse Interactive Systems: PC MSRP: $29.99
Hey, it's another one of those 4X space strategy games that I've heard so much about. Well, not so much, as I promptly start daydreaming or dozing off anytime someone starts talking about them, but people do talk about them. This is apparently a compilation of the original game, the expansion pack "Born of Blood", an extras disc, and the first ever Sword of the Stars paperback novel. This is supposed to be one of the more streamlined 4X games, so it could be a good place to throw your first quadruple "X" down. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Sword of the Stars: Collector's Edition.

:pc: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)

On The DL with the Shipwrecks

Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom Systems: Wii (Genesis) MSRP: $8
Originally a Sega Genesis game, this RPG revolves around a wedding gone wrong. On the surface, the plot has it all: girls with amnesia, dragons, warring kingdoms, and love triangles. However, the gameplay features a generational aspect that wasn’t found in any of the other Phantasy Star titles which can make the storyline seem a little rushed and shallow. The other weird thing is that Phantasy Star III doesn't really have anything to do with Phantasy Star II (plot-wise). I'll be honest and say that I haven't played any of the Phantasy Star titles. It seems that this game is one that you either love or hate, with very little ground in-between. Because of that, from an outsider's standpoint, if I were to start in on a Phantasy Star game it wouldn't be this one. - mrs. ship

River City Ransom Systems: Wii (NES) MSRP: $5
BARF! No, I mean that in a good way. Like when I hit this guy with this lead pipe, he's going to fall over and proclaim "BARF!". Ah, a lot of good times were had with this off-kilter beat-'em-up for the NES. Probably some of my favorite character design to this day and if you have never played River City Ransom, I BARF! in your general direction. - ship

Lost Cities Systems: 360 MSRP: $10
Another highbrow board game comes to Xbox Live Arcade this week, and it looks like a good one. Lost Cities is essentially just a card game involving four different suits and your ability to organize them numerically in Racko-esque fashion. By the nature of the game, and the fact that you have to keep your hand of cards strategically hidden, I don't think this one is going to have a local multiplayer mode. That kind of takes some of the fun out of it for the Mrs. and I, but I think we'll both still enjoy playing online against other CAGs. Well, I've never actually beaten mrs. ship at a game of Racko in my life, so maybe the exclusion of local multiplayer is a positive for me. - ship

Metal Arms: A Glitch in the System Systems: 360 MSRP: $15
A fun, nice-looking third-person shooter starring a cute robot that shoots lots of bullets that then make lots of things explode. That is until it becomes incredibly difficult and you're the thing exploding. Not so fun then. Also not fun - paying $15 for a hard drive stuffer when the disc-based version is $7 at GameStop.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory Systems: 360 MSRP: $15
Sam Fisher Sam Fisher's it up in his third game for the original Xbox. Plenty of sneaking around a killing folk for only $6. Oh, wait... that's only for the version that doesn't take up a quarter of that 20GB hard drive. - ship

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

Just got the 'Aeris' call from Gamestop for Shin Megami Tensei. She said it real fast and with a higher pitch, so it vaguely sounded like a Street Fighter II move.

The mispronunciation of Celebi (Sell-uh-bee) makes me cry.
Also, if Wombat is a bird he is probably Torchic or Piplup.
PKMN FANBOI AMIRITE?

You know the show is going to be good when Ship gives "Big ups" to the creators of the Masters of the Universe game less than 10 minutes in!

Concentration is indeed the "memory" type game that had a game show back in the 80s where the contestants mached tiles to uncover a rebus that they then had to solve.

The kids' game that you had to place pieces into matching holes before the timer went off was Perfection.

This was the first one I listened to, but it sure wont be the last. I really enjoyed it, thanks!

Chikorita
152.png

Skitty
Skitty.png

I meant to do this in the last episode's thread, but I wanted to thank Shipwreck for the recommendation of Gamepedia. I purchased it and entered in my library. I only have 100 games at the moment, mostly because of all the trading in I did before I had a job and could afford to buy games, but I intend to bump up my collection and use the software to keep track. I totally forgot about the catchphrase thing though, I'm going to steal that idea and use it for myself.

It's also probably the first piece of software I legally purchased in years.

Good show, you guys really need to freshen up on your Pokemon.
Good idea with Hour of Victory, if you decide to pass it on to someone else can I be the next one?

[quote name='eliter1']Good show, you guys really need to freshen up on your Pokemon.
Good idea with Hour of Victory, if you decide to pass it on to someone else can I be the next one?[/quote]If I get it when Im done you can be the next person to get it.
Thank you so much for it. achievements unlocked "new listener" 20 points.

Thanks for the heads up on Heavenly Guardian! Pocky and Rocky got almost as much playtime as contra3 back when I was a lad in college. Ive fond memories of that one! The second didnt really play well with 2 players, and I though id never hear of the series again.(although, there was pocky and rocky w/becky on the gba?) I did a search as soon as I got home from work only to see IGN and gamespot tore it apart! ugh...im guessing the Wii version is a straight port. perhaps better left as a memory....

I have Hour of Victory sitting at home unplayed. It is one of many games I bought because of CAG. Amazon had it for $10 one day, so I bought it. I remember thinking the demo wasn’t very good, but there’s something about a $10 game.

it was a fair1y entertaining show. I do enjoy the banter between the two. more arguing, though! that's what married life really is. do you guys play all the new releases? I got the gist that some you played, and some you just sort of gave your impressions based on promo matieral/screenshots.

[quote name='MikeydCT']If I get it when Im done you can be the next person to get it.
Thank you so much for it. achievements unlocked "new listener" 20 points. [/quote]

OK,;), I wonder if ship was serious when he said were all going to sign it. If it gets passed around a lot Ship should eventually give it away in contest.

[quote name='eliter1']OK,;), I wonder if ship was serious when he said were all going to sign it. If it gets passed around a lot Ship should eventually give it away in contest.[/QUOTE]

Oh, he's serious. I think more people need to appreciate how bad this game really is. It won't fulfill it's destiny unless we send it on :D

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']Oh, he's serious. I think more people need to appreciate how bad this game really is. It won't fulfill it's destiny unless we send it on :D[/quote]

In that case we'll help it fulfill its destiny, are the signatures going to go on the actual disk, the case or manual?

[quote name='eliter1']In that case we'll help it fulfill its destiny, are the signatures going to go on the actual disk, the case or manual?[/quote]

Maybe the "Notes" section of a manual will actually serve a purpose?

[quote name='outlawmoogle']Maybe the "Notes" section of a manual will actually serve a purpose?[/quote]

Yeah, but i think if you could see the signatures of each CAG without having to flip through the manual it would look "cooler" maybe the case would do fine, lets see what Ship thinks.

[quote name='eliter1']Yeah, but i think if you could see the signatures of each CAG without having to flip through the manual it would look "cooler" maybe the case would do fine, lets see what Ship thinks.[/quote]

maybe sign the cover art but then you can write blurbs and stuff in the Notes section?

anyway i just bought The Outfit w/ the gamestop coupon from last week. i think playing that then Hour of Victory would be the worst experience in the world.

i'd be *happy* to play it...i guess...haha

Great show that made my Friday morning infinitely more tolerable, thanks ships!!!

I'd agree with almost every game you guys recommended for the listener (icebrand??) for the games for his wife. I would suggest that if you try a Phoenix Wright game, if you can find the original Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, I’d recommend playing that over the new Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. I love
the series, but I liked PW a lot better than AJ.

I personally wasn’t a huge fan of Touch Detective, but I seem to be the exception rather than the rule. I don’t know if his wife would be into an RPG-style game, but the Pokemon games (Pokemon Diamond or Pearl) are great games. As mrs. ship mentioned, the random battles can get annoying, but the quality of gameplay is surprisingly high given the target audience.

The River King game sounds kind of interesting to me. I’ve never played this series, but the comparison to Animal Crossing has piqued my interest. It appears that the release has been delayed a week, so I’ll probably try to give
it a whirl. Thanks for the heads-up on it!

I may actually try the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game, but I’m probably going with Time. I didn't play the last Dungeon version of the Pokemon games, and I didn't do Shiren the Wanderer, so we'll see.

Also, for any of the Pokemon collection fans out there, I found this on Joystiq: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/19/darkrai-distribution-events-coming-to-toys-r-us-may-31-june-1/

This is the page at the Pokemon site, though it wouldn't load in Firefox
for me (no problem loading in IE 6):
http://pokemon.com/#news_/XML/news_251.xml May 31st and June 1st, noon til 4 at Toys R Us, they'll give out access to Darkai...

/tk

The CAGcast is coming out early again this week, so we've kind of flip-flopped the order of the shows again this week. So CAG Foreplay will be coming out a little later in the week.

If you have any questions you'd like us to answer on the show, go ahead and leave some in this thread, as we've already got the rest of the show planned out and could spend the extra time answering anything you guys feel you'd like our opinions on.

Thanks for all the River King talk last week. I have fond memories of playing the very first one on the Game Boy Pocket back in the day. I've always felt bad about the way it gets overshadowed by Harvest Moon. It's not a perfect franchise, and the games tend to get tedious after a while, but I've always liked the idea of an RPG based around fishing.

Thankfully, it sounds like they've dropped one of the worst aspects of the original game, that being a horribly implemented fighting engine. Random animals like bears, eagles, and monkeys would show up and try to steal your catch and you had to fight them off by waiting for a fist icon to jump randomly around the screen and pressing A when it happened to land on each species' sweet spot. Terrible.

[quote name='shipwreck']The CAGcast is coming out early again this week, so we've kind of flip-flopped the order of the shows again this week. So CAG Foreplay will be coming out a little later in the week.[/quote]

Hmm...This unorthodox scheduling may require a name change.

CAG Post-Coital?

CAG Snuggling?

CAG Was It Good For You?

CAG Okay, Now Go Get Me Some Ice Cream?

CAG Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz?

Take your pick.

Shippy, we need more gaming stories aside from just deals. i like it when you guys bitch about a bad game. :)

Will this late show be "previewing" this week's releases, or do you have next week's previews ready? By most accounts, only two games were released this week, and one was way back on Sunday.

Have you guys considered the benefits of regularly doing a show on Friday or Saturday? It would give listeners time to actually listen before they rush out and buy games on release day. It would make for a large gap in the week if the CAGcast and CAG Foreplay were released within the say timeframe... but the CAGcast could easily be moved to Mondays. That show is less time-specific and a weekend recording schedule might be easier for the hardest working wombat in show business.

A show this late in the week will give a more timely announcement on the Playstation store... but do you guys have Virtual Console and XBL release schedules in advance, or would this change just flip which console gets neglected?

As for other questions, aside from Crazy Bert's, have you found any other specialty shops that do a good job catering to gamers? I've been to a shop in a mall just outside Kansas City that has used games from just about all consoles, back to the Atari 2600. Prices weren't too amazing, probably due to the mall overhead, but were better than the Gamestop further down the walkway.

And how is Shipwreck doing in terms of playing 360/PS3/Wii games? Do they sit around unopened as much as his last-gen collection? If he played Meet The Robinsons already, he must play everything right away, huh?

[quote name='meager']Will this late show be "previewing" this week's releases, or do you have next week's previews ready? By most accounts, only two games were released this week, and one was way back on Sunday.[/quote]

Is that counting Let's Yoga! and Let's Pilates! as one title or two?:D

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']Is that counting Let's Yoga! and Let's Pilates! as one title or two?:D[/quote]

Those transend the simple title of "game" to a higher, universally honored echelon of pure entertainment for the masses.

If only they'd make a Dragonball Pilates game...

[quote name='shipwreck']The CAGcast is coming out early again this week, so we've kind of flip-flopped the order of the shows again this week. So CAG Foreplay will be coming out a little later in the week.

If you have any questions you'd like us to answer on the show, go ahead and leave some in this thread, as we've already got the rest of the show planned out and could spend the extra time answering anything you guys feel you'd like our opinions on.[/quote]

Thoughts on GTA IV and whether you suscribe to Cat Fancy magazine... why or why not. Thanks.

[quote name='meager']
If only they'd make a Dragonball Pilates game...[/quote]

you know, that's a good idea actually. get those fat kids to work out to their fave anime characters.

[quote name='shipwreck']The CAGcast is coming out early again this week, so we've kind of flip-flopped the order of the shows again this week. So CAG Foreplay will be coming out a little later in the week.

If you have any questions you'd like us to answer on the show, go ahead and leave some in this thread, as we've already got the rest of the show planned out and could spend the extra time answering anything you guys feel you'd like our opinions on.[/quote]

How much does Gamepedia say your collection is worth Shipwreck? And how much have you saved (if you use the "Paid" field)?

Is Mrs. Shipwreck watching you play GTA or she is continuing on with Final Fantasy 9? If so, where is she in the game and is she sick of random battles yet?

And why doesn't Mrs. Shipwreck complain about the time you play games or the amount you spend on games? Maybe that's just my wife.

Two potentially interesting games have come out over the last few weeks for the DS. They are Rondo of Sword and The World Ends With You.

At $40, I think TWEWY is a bit pricey for a DS game, but CC will have it on sale for $30 starting Sunday and I was thinking of picking it up. Have either of you played it yet? The Penny Arcade guys seem to be enjoying it, I'd like to know what others think. Edit to add: I think that the PA guys mentioned that there was some online play with it, that has potential to be cool...

Rondo of Swords is an Atlus game, so it'll probably be good, though it looks like it's an RTS, and I haven't had much luck with those lately. Any thoughts?

/tk

What does Mrs. Ship think of GTA IV? About the way women are portrayed. I was listening to another podcast and someone said that their girlfriend thought the game was good but that all of the strippers and the hookers made her not want to play the game.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Here's my question - Where's the show?[/quote]

Yeah, I can't do homework without it. Do you guys really want to be responsible for me failing college?:lol:

bread's done
Back