Marvel vs Capcom 2 XBox - Available at Gamestop.com - $69.99

Ugh. I really love these posts OP, but I really hate how this is a "deal." How did this game become so rare!?

I didn't know gamestop was allowed to have hte price of a used game more than what it was new when it came out, or was this game more than 49.99 when it came out?

[quote name='kidrocklive']I didn't know gamestop was allowed to have hte price of a used game more than what it was new when it came out, or was this game more than 49.99 when it came out?[/quote]

The demand is high so they increased the price. It happens with all rare items. The game is rare because it had a low print run and capcom lost the rights to marvel so they can't print anymore copies. It was clearenced out a long time ago and just increased in demand.

thats pretty cool. its backwards compatible but it looks like garbage. ill save my money for when it comes out on the xbox live arcade.. 70 bucks is a deal. i sold te ps2 one sealed for 900 dollars. they only made 5,000 for the original xbox

[quote name='vidGuy']Yeah, what's so cool/good about this game that it's not under $5 by now?[/quote]
Best 2D fighter of last-gen, thats what is so "cool/good" about it.

fuck that shit, FIND ME A MARVEL VS CAPCOM 1!!!!!!!

i was an idiot for losing my copy. luckily i got it on my laptop!

[quote name='OBI TOM KENOBI']thats pretty cool. its backwards compatible but it looks like garbage. ill save my money for when it comes out on the xbox live arcade.. 70 bucks is a deal. i sold te ps2 one sealed for 900 dollars. they only made 5,000 for the original xbox[/quote]

Just a warning. Its very buggy on Xbox 360. The graphics glitch out. So yes, it is BC and plays, but it looks like crap.

LOL anyone who buys these for that price is just stupid.

I have mine on the Dreamcast and have since day one. Nothing special about the PS2 or XBOX versions, I got those...but as um...wink wink.

Anyhoo "rare" or not its not worth that price. 5 or 10 bucks maybe.

If you have a Dreamcast I would get that version. It plays the best and looks pretty good running through VGA on an HDTV. I remember seeing a few at my local CC for 4.99 years back. Shame I didn't pick one up just to have.

For someone who wants this game, this is great because it IS rare. In my opinion, if you're going to spend that much cash on Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and have a Dreamcast, get the Dreamcast version. It is pretty widely agreed upon that the DC port was the best. All other ports were plagued with slowdown and other issues.

EDIT: I started this post about 15 minutes ago. It appears I shouldn't take a smoke break in the middle of a post because I see my colleagues above beat me to the punch. :p

I just posted it as an FYI because it's not too often that it is available online.

But I'm fine with my PS2 mint and complete copy. My brother has the Dreamcast version whenever we hook up that system, as well.

[quote name='OBI TOM KENOBI']thats pretty cool. its backwards compatible but it looks like garbage. ill save my money for when it comes out on the xbox live arcade.. 70 bucks is a deal. i sold te ps2 one sealed for 900 dollars. they only made 5,000 for the original xbox[/quote]

Whoa. I wonder how much a sealed Xbox one would go for.

i got it at launch on dreamcast... i beat it like 5 times in 2 days and sold it... probably my biggest gaming blunder ever (though i did get like $40 or 45 when i sold it used to gamestop)

[quote name='saldogg']i got it at launch on dreamcast... i beat it like 5 times in 2 days and sold it... probably my biggest gaming blunder ever (though i did get like $40 or 45 when i sold it used to gamestop)[/QUOTE]

Not as bad as me trading my PS2 version for Gran Turismo 4. In my defense, this was way before they lost the rights and the game became so rare. But still.

[quote name='OtherAdam']Not as bad as me trading my PS2 version for Gran Turismo 4. In my defense, this was way before they lost the rights and the game became so rare. But still.[/quote]

yeah still sucks to know you had something valuable and lost it... i also had the uber-rare tiger woods sports illustrated for kids card (his 1st card ever which used to go for a TON of money) and my mom threw it away... that bitch :bomb:

I wonder if the value will stay high. I bought my copy for $10 at least 3 years ago (might've been longer), but I never play it anymore... still, it's nice to have, I suppose...

[quote name='zenintrude']the gamestop near me has like 3 complete copies of the ps2 version... so, yea.

wonder if i should flip them on ebay or something.[/quote]

those cost $79.99 so you wont that much of a profit on ebay

How is this a bargain? Well I hope this game comes down the line as a DL game on XBL and PSN that way people and companies that are purposely price gouging this game and just loss money on it.

Great point. Hopefully when they do it will be available on the PSP.

[quote name='robbyH']I'll wait til it's emulated in MAME.[/quote]

Don't forget the code CAG16, knocks another $11 off. Still not a great price, but if anyone's gonna bite, might as well save a few bucks.

[quote name='uglyteradon']Ugh. I really love these posts OP, but I really hate how this is a "deal." How did this game become so rare!?[/quote]

great great game, high demand and limited quantities

the dreamcast version is by far the best port tho

Of course the Dreamcast "port" is the best...the arcade version ran on Naomi, which *is* a Dreamcast with some extra RAM. So it's not a port at all; it's a 1:1 copy.

And for those of you waiting for this game to show up as DLC somewhere... don't hold your breath. For that to happen, a 3-way deal would have to be made between Capcom, Marvel and whoever is currently holding the license to release Marvel-branded games (Activision, I think). Something like this *did* happen once before: a deal between Ubisoft, Konami and the TMNT folks to release the original arcade game back when the CGI movie came out. But that doesn't mean it'll happen again.

Sad but true: most old licensed games are doomed never to return again. Alien vs. Predator (arcade), GoldenEye 007 (N64), etc. etc.

Of course, if they even had two working brain cells, Activision would have already worked out a deal with Capcom to produce Marvel vs. Capcom 3. But they haven't...

I guess with the CAG coupon it could be a deal...

Would love Marvel vs. Capcom to return in some form, whether it's a download or a sequel. That or MAME gets updated to handle NAOMI emulation.

Dreamcast version all the way!!! But I guess if you got rid of your dreamcast, then this is the other alternative. Btw, I would never have expected this to skyrocket in price like it did. Shin Megami Tensei "Nocturne" and "Rez" (back then), I can understand...

[quote name='yyr']Of course, if they even had two working brain cells, Activision would have already worked out a deal with Capcom to produce Marvel vs. Capcom 3. But they haven't...[/QUOTE]

If SFIV is a success, that may get the attention of some decision makers.

I don't think the last 10 years have been kind to arcades though, and that's a problem. The MvC2 cabinets are probably good moneymakers still in theatres and such for their used cost.

i owned this game and sold it on ebay for about 80 bucks a few years ago, i know its rare, but i never understood what was so special about this game, it wasnt that good

i love this game, it really sucks that its so glitchy on the 360. i dont think it'll ever release on marketplace though.. but i am still holding out hope for the old school xmen arcade game....

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']I expect demand for this tio plummet with the upcoming MK vs DC. A ,lot of the reason for the demand is pop-culture factor.[/QUOTE]

I would guess the opposite. It's practically a given that MKxDC will suck, and every negative review will mention MvC2. These games really are rare enough that an EGM plug could add another $10 to the going rate for a while.

Glad I have the JP DC version

I've been seeing a lot more "rare" games popping up at a few of my local gamestops. I first started noticing it around Christmas of last year. I guess there's a bunch of people just unloading their games so they can buy new consoles. I've seen MvC2, Rez, Ico, Capcom vs SNK, and a few Atlus titles.

It's also interesting to see an entire anthologies of game series sitting in nice little stacks.

It's cheaper to actually buy a use dreamcast for 40 bucks and then burn the game then this. The dreamcast version is actually superior as well.

[quote name='evyrew']I've been seeing a lot more "rare" games popping up at a few of my local gamestops. I first started noticing it around Christmas of last year. I guess there's a bunch of people just unloading their games so they can buy new consoles. I've seen MvC2, Rez, Ico, Capcom vs SNK, and a few Atlus titles.

It's also interesting to see an entire anthologies of game series sitting in nice little stacks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, It's called the "dumb little kids who want to buy Mario Kart Wii, Metal gear solid 4 and Grand theft Auto IV but can't afford it so they sell their precious games not knowing that they'll regret it later on" effect.

[quote name='OtherAdam']Not as bad as me trading my PS2 version for Gran Turismo 4. In my defense, this was way before they lost the rights and the game became so rare. But still.[/QUOTE] gran turismo 4 is rare? since when?

[quote name='sparklecopy']gran turismo 4 is rare? since when?[/quote]
He meant he traded MvC2, which was rare for GT4 before he realized it would be rare.

[quote name='evyrew']I've been seeing a lot more "rare" games popping up at a few of my local gamestops. I first started noticing it around Christmas of last year. I guess there's a bunch of people just unloading their games so they can buy new consoles. I've seen MvC2, Rez, Ico, Capcom vs SNK, and a few Atlus titles.

It's also interesting to see an entire anthologies of game series sitting in nice little stacks.[/quote]

I used to love being back in Pittsburgh because these times meant insane savings for everyone if you knew where to shop. When people were trading in like mad right before a system/top-tier title launch you would go to a local game chain and look around. The "USED" pricing system was pretty much "first few copies are about EB/GS priced, then every one after 3 or 4 is $5 less."

When you can get titles that came out last month for $10 a pop because people must have THE NEXT BIG THING...well, everybody wins. The stores didn't hurt either because the lowest-priced copies were the trade-in value and once those started moving people just HAD to buy the more expensive ones because there was a "RUSH ON THEM!" ~Brilliant~.

I've still got mine on my Dreamcast, also have one on the ps2. I never paid more than 30ish for each though.

Somehow I'm not surprised at the price. One Gamestop I visited sold numerous used "Super Smash Bros. Melee" for $40 with and without the case, even though the store across the street sold it new for $30.

I loved the game as well. Mainly because the things you pick up and for me, watching the actual competitions and to see how people would be awesome with Cable was pretty cool. But in terms of the game being worth a lot, I would imagine the Dreamcast versions being worth a lot but not the PS2 version because it's actually slightly changed in terms of balancing of the characters.

As for the first game, it was ok. Have it for the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast.

But is the reason why it went up in price because of a short print run?

As for SSBM, anything Nintendo is expensive. Hell, I was trying to buy older Zelda, Dragon Quest and Mario games for the GBC for my collection and even after all these years, they still haven't gone down in price all that much.

Had to check quickly but both CvM2 and SSBB are official selections for the fighting game championships: http://www.evo2k.com/

[quote name='yyr']Of course the Dreamcast "port" is the best...the arcade version ran on Naomi, which *is* a Dreamcast with some extra RAM. So it's not a port at all; it's a 1:1 copy.

And for those of you waiting for this game to show up as DLC somewhere... don't hold your breath. For that to happen, a 3-way deal would have to be made between Capcom, Marvel and whoever is currently holding the license to release Marvel-branded games (Activision, I think). Something like this *did* happen once before: a deal between Ubisoft, Konami and the TMNT folks to release the original arcade game back when the CGI movie came out. But that doesn't mean it'll happen again.

Sad but true: most old licensed games are doomed never to return again. Alien vs. Predator (arcade), GoldenEye 007 (N64), etc. etc.

Of course, if they even had two working brain cells, Activision would have already worked out a deal with Capcom to produce Marvel vs. Capcom 3. But they haven't...[/QUOTE]
It would be worse than a 3 way deal. Off the top of my head I know Sega has the rights to Hulk and Iron Man. Activision has the rights to X Men and Spiderman. There's too many hands in the Marvel license pot now to even fathom that this might happen.

[quote name='level1online']I'm so glad my Dreamcast was manufactured before Oct 2000.

;););););););););)[/quote]

You know that's not as important as you think. I believe DCEmu can explain it better :)

I swiped my PS2 copy of MvC2 when when of my roomies skipped out on part of his rent and left a bunch of games behind.

bread's done
Back