How can you split a dsl line WITHOUT buying a router or other EXPENSIVE item?

OK....so I just got a PS3(40gb) and I wanted to jack into my DSL line, but I don't wanna pay $40 or more for a router or anything else like that.

Do they sell CHEAP splitters or something similar, so I can string a DSL cable up to my room from where I have the signal set up downstairs in my house?

Yes or no?

Thanks in advance....

And if this is in the wrong spot or there's another topic about it, please don't lynch me, since I searched and didn't find any topics.

Thanks.

A switch/hub will require an IP address assigned from the DSL service for each device attached to it. Your provider should be able to assign another one but there likely will be an additional monthly charge.

You're better off spending the $40-60 and getting a decent router. They offer better protection than a switch/hub and they also have their own internal pool of IP addresses they can assign as needed whenever a device tries to connect through it, thus not needing to pay any additional fees per month from your provider.

Dude just get a cheap wireless router off craigslist for like $20.

(If you actually do go with wireless, I'd recommend still using the wires if it's not too much trouble.)

Switches (and especially hubs) are terrible. As captainfrizo mentioned, you would need another IP...and that's a monthly charge.

Do it right and get a router. Not only will you get the connection you need, but you also get proper security and reliability.

OK, I guess either A) I'm going to move my PS3 DOWNSTAIRS by the DSL modem or B) I'm going to disconnect my computer from it and run 25-50 feet of dsl cable up to my PS3, since I want to use the signal upstairs but there's still no fuckin way I'm paying even $20 to facilitate that.

You've chosen your user tag well. :D

You can get routers for free/cheap after rebate from time to time if you watch the Sunday ads or a site like slickdeals.

Who is your DSL provider? I have AT&T and I got my router for free when they were running a promo. In fact because they're morons I got the router for free and got a $50 credit on my service.

2Wire 2701HG-B
1000-401047-000.jpg

[quote name='wubb']You've chosen your user tag well. :D

You can get routers for free/cheap after rebate from time to time if you watch the Sunday ads or a site like slickdeals.[/quote]

I definitely don't mean to be rude, but I guess I do come across as that way, huh? :lol:

Oh and Chitown, I have Verizon as my provider. They had the cheapest deal I could find when I first signed up($10 a month for 3 months, followed by $20 a month for the rest of that year). Now I'm on the $12.99 a month for the first 6 or so, $19.99 after that till the time is up again.

I do thank everyone for all of their tips, but I just wish like hell they made a simple way to plug a splitter into the back of the modem and run a seperate dsl line upstairs without having to buy anything additional that costs over $20.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I definitely don't mean to be rude, but I guess I do come across as that way, huh? :lol:

Oh and Chitown, I have Verizon as my provider. They had the cheapest deal I could find when I first signed up($10 a month for 3 months, followed by $20 a month for the rest of that year). Now I'm on the $12.99 a month for the first 6 or so, $19.99 after that till the time is up again.

I do thank everyone for all of their tips, but I just wish like hell they made a simple way to plug a splitter into the back of the modem and run a seperate dsl line upstairs without having to buy anything additional that costs over $20.[/quote]

I do the same thing on my service. I sign up for the promo rate for 6 months or a year or however it lasts. Then when it is about to run out I call them up again and get the newest promo. One time when I called they had a deal where if I signed up for a year at the next speed up (I think it was like $20 per month) they would give me a free router. Now that the year is up I get to keep the router even if I switch to a new provider. I don't know much about Verizon so I'm not sure if they have any deals like that.

It actually depends on the DSL modem. Most DSL connection use PPPoE for their connections, which is a dial-up like setup, though with the DSL modem going to the ISP's network.

The modem may do the PPPoE connection, which would prevent the need of the PC or a router doing the PPPoE connection. You could hook a switch to the DSL modem and set up static IP's for all the devices on your network, though you'd be running around naked on the Internet without a firewall or any protection besides a NAT from the DSL modem.

It ends up being much cleaner, easier and safer to have a router between your internal network devices and the Internet. You could get a wireless router and turn off the wireless functions, if you're just running wired connections. Since the PS3 is wireless, it would be easiest to get a wireless router and hook the PS3 up wirelessly to the router.

Routers are cheap!!
And you can get one with wireless for less than $25 anywhere and then you won't need messy cables to connect your PS3... plus, wireless for your laptops and PDAs.

Just make sure to encrypt it so your neighbors don't use it ;)
If you have your computer and PS3, right next to each other, you can buy it without wireless, but for the few extra $$ it is worth it to buy it with.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
I do thank everyone for all of their tips, but I just wish like hell they made a simple way to plug a splitter into the back of the modem and run a seperate dsl line upstairs without having to buy anything additional that costs over $20.[/quote]

There is a whole lot more to it than just splitting the line. Routers do a bunch of work, dynamically assigning IP's, logging in to your provider, directing network traffic, etc.

Unless you've got the knowledge of a high end network admin there is no other way to do this than a router. My suggestion is to comb ebay or craigslist for somebody getting rid of an old router. As wireless network speeds increase, people keep upgrading routers. You don't need a wireless N router since it's just internet that you want for the PS3, you'd be fine with a wireless B or G router.

Like condoms, routers provide protection.

If you wear a condom during sex you should buy a router to go online.

As stated earlier, multiple IP's from one IP address (NAT) is just one of the benefits. The additional security and wireless capabilities will offset the cost right away.

How much is that CAT-6 cable going to cost that you run from the DSL line to your PS3 from downstairs to updstairs besides the fact that it will be in the way?

Typically, the charge has been about $5 a month per additional IP address but it may be more.

Being cheap is one thing but you need to be rational as well.

You can find a decent wireless router for $25-$40. If you want recommendations let me know.

Maybe he's a bareback aficionado.

A good router with an expensive system is like a good set of rims with an expensive car. It just ties everything together. Don't be that guy with stock rims on a Mustang.

Switches and hubs are really designed more to expand internal networks, not to connect it to an outside wan (internet in this case). You'd really need a router to connect those two devices to the internet. Routers aren't as expensive as they once were.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Do people seriously run long ass Ethernet cables throughout their houses?[/quote]You'd be surprised. I've seen pics of cables running up and down stairs.

I was wondering a similar thing. I just got the LAN adapter for my Wii and I thought I would be clever and order what looked like a splitter off of monoprice.com and it didn't work. I'm looking for recommendations on a solution for this as well. You can post in the thread or PM me, but here are my details:

Internet: Cable through TimeWarner; Motorola Surfboard 5120 modem
Devices: Primary PC, PS3, Wii, Secondary PC (used once a month tops).

I live in a 625 sq. ft apartment and my computer/modem sits two feet from my TV/PS3/Wii. I have an ethernet cable hooked up and running under the heater to the computer in the next room, so having the wire is not a problem since it is discreet.

For what it's worth, it seems like a router is my best option and to be honest I don't care about wireless since neither PC has a wireless card and I'm not looking to spend the extra for it. If I'm wrong about going the way of a router, let me know, otherwise I'll gladly accept recommendations for quality brands for CAG prices.

[quote name='smoger']i dont mean to be rude, but how can you not afford a $20 router if you can afford a PS3(and games) ?[/quote]

Because I just spent about $400-500 on a system and a game and I don't want to have to spend too much more to get it online? That IS my main reason.

As for the routers and the like, I kind of knew that they provided a firewall, which is definitely needed when going online. I sort of knew that I'd want to only get a router which would give ME the signal inside the house and not allow anyone else to exploit it for their own purposes.

Again, I thank everyone for their help and I'll keep an eye out on CL and Ebay for these items.

[quote name='depascal22']I thought I was a miser.........[/quote]

yeah i'm pretty cheap but for some reason i wouldn't try to save money or shop for deals on a router. $40 and you're done

i would buy wired and run cable though. i'm not a fan of wireless for gaming or anything bandwidth intensive as it's always slower than plugging in with an ethernet cord. and i'm paranoid about hackers in the neighborhood haha :lol:

I'm not trying to thread jack, but I have a semi-related question...

Is there any way to get multiple IP addresses w/o paying? My ISP wants to charge me $40 per month and both my roommate and I like to play the same online games and want to be teammates...we always get the "Same IP address error"

[quote name='Wlogan31']I'm not trying to thread jack, but I have a semi-related question...

Is there any way to get multiple IP addresses w/o paying? My ISP wants to charge me $40 per month and both my roommate and I like to play the same online games and want to be teammates...we always get the "Same IP address error"[/quote]
You get your IP from your ISP, so if you want more than one, you have to go through them.

[quote name='Malik112099']wrt54g ftmfw[/quote]

Newegged it. Sounds like exactly what I need. The wireless and wired seem to be the same price anyway.

Heh, I was in a similar situation. I had the option of getting Charter or Clearwire down here. Qwest was dumb and said they didn't offer it in my apartment and they wanted $60 a month for a 5mb connection.

Anyways I got Charter Cable at $38 a month with basic cable. Soon as Mr Techie left I attached my Linksys Wireless router (i bought it off CL for $20, its a 2.4 ghz, 54 mbps) to the cable modem and bam a few minutes later I've got 2 pcs hooked up, my modded xbox, and my ps3. No $10 a month home networking charge for me!

If you guys need any help setting that stuff up shoot me a pm I might be able to help.

I am really suprised nobody mentioned it but there is a built in networking wizard that allows such a connection but you need a extra Network Card. This is featured in Windows, Apple, and even Linux/Unix.

Then you could allways buy a chep USB wireless network device like the one for the Wii but it will allow all wireless devices to feed off your connection which is okay in terms of location.

[quote name='Redie']I am really suprised nobody mentioned it but there is a built in networking wizard that allows such a connection but you need a extra Network Card. This is featured in Windows, Apple, and even Linux/Unix.

Then you could allways buy a chep USB wireless network device like the one for the Wii but it will allow all wireless devices to feed off your connection which is okay in terms of location.[/quote]

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is indeed a viable option (as is bridging the connections)...but he still would have to buy an internal NIC. (I'm assuming his PC doesn't have two ports.)

Plus, that's a cord swapping process if he has multiple systems. It's definitely not as "easy" as a router. (Especially in Windows...their ICS can be buggy.)

That's how I'm currently hooking up my consoles while I'm here at home.

[quote name='depascal22']Don't be that guy with stock rims on a Mustang.[/QUOTE]

Don't be that guy in a Mustang.

Oh, and just to stay on topic, get a router.

I'm really debating the router now, though I know I wanna finish the main story in GTAIV before trying the online modes at all. I plan on grabbing one once the 'economic stimulus' thing comes in, in early June.

Thanks for all of the advice thus far everyone....keep the info coming.

lol I got 3 routers (a 2 port, 4 port, and wireless) and only pay tax for them as they are free after rebate. I use it to hook up my xbox and 2 computers.

[quote name='Rig']Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is indeed a viable option (as is bridging the connections)...but he still would have to buy an internal NIC. (I'm assuming his PC doesn't have two ports.)

Plus, that's a cord swapping process if he has multiple systems. It's definitely not as "easy" as a router. (Especially in Windows...their ICS can be buggy.)

That's how I'm currently hooking up my consoles while I'm here at home.[/QUOTE]

If he can connect his PC to the modem with a USB cable then he could just use the ethernet cable to connect his PS3 to his PC. That's how I did it for awhile and it worked well.

[quote name='Rig']Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is indeed a viable option (as is bridging the connections)...but he still would have to buy an internal NIC. (I'm assuming his PC doesn't have two ports.)

That's how I'm currently hooking up my consoles while I'm here at home.[/QUOTE]

If he can connect his PC to the modem with a USB cable then he could connect the PS3 to his PC with an ethernet cable to use ICS. That's how I did it for awhile and it worked well.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm really debating the router now, though I know I wanna finish the main story in GTAIV before trying the online modes at all. I plan on grabbing one once the 'economic stimulus' thing comes in, in early June.

Thanks for all of the advice thus far everyone....keep the info coming.[/quote]
It really is the best choice. Get a wireless B/G router with WPA2, and check out portforward.com to assign some static IP's to your devices, it makes it easier to keep track of them.

Also, I don't get why some people prefer wired over wireless for internet use? I never have trouble with wireless, but I don't play games. Is it much more unreliable for games? Maybe I'm not noticing since I don't need a constant feed.
And I know it's slower, but my internet is somewhere around 1.5-3 Mbps, and my wireless card gives me 54 Mbps; wired would give me 100Mbps, but if I'm not transferring files between computers, it shouldn't make a difference, right?

Also, wirelessly networking computers and watching videos/listening to music from one to the other = really damn cool. It's like fucking magic.

I use my notebook wirelessly, and I have an ethernet cable plugged into my gameing systems. I like wireless, but the speed is slower, and I get D/C every now and then and that would suck if I was in the middle of a game. I have had many issues with the wii (and its wifi setup) and losing connection. IMO, for me it isn't worth the hassle, if I can have ethernet jacks and just plug a chord into the wall and into the console.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Because I just spent about $400-500 on a system and a game and I don't want to have to spend too much more to get it online? That IS my main reason.[/QUOTE]

Better to spend a bit to get what will work than not to. The $40 I spent on my Linksys WRT54G is well worth it. Wi-Fi for my DS and multiple connections for all of my wired needs. Plus various levels of protection for my Wi-Fi as well. Easily worth the money.

Get a wrt54g or some other hardware based router. The average life span of a windows box sitting naked on the inet is 5 minutes before it's hacked.

I think $40 is well worth protecting against that.

I would check with Verizon to see if you can upgrade your current modem to one with a built-in router. It's what I set up at my mother's apartment, I think it only cost (at the time, at least) about $10-15 more than the basic modem. She's got 4 wired ports plus wireless.

As mentioned, I have bit on the Linksys wrt54g while it was on sale at newegg for $40 shipped last week. It's been exactly what I've needed since. I prefer wired but I honestly have no problem going wireless if I have to. Both PCs, Wii and PS3 are hooked up and have been running fine since.

I at one point had a USB cable running to the PC, the PC outputting internet to my secondary PC via ethernet, the ethernet cable running from the modem to my PS3 and the Wii USB dongle sending signal to the Wii. It was ghetto, and it worked, but the Wii USB dongle was completely unreliable and I've been told that USB connections aren't as good as direct cable so in the end, it just works out best this way. And right now I have my PS3 and Wii sitting 4 feet from my computer, but I can just switch my wireless back on and re-arrange my room as necessary without worrying about wires.

I say: Take the plunge

[quote name='Demolition Man']Better to spend a bit to get what will work than not to. The $40 I spent on my Linksys WRT54G is well worth it. Wi-Fi for my DS and multiple connections for all of my wired needs. Plus various levels of protection for my Wi-Fi as well. Easily worth the money.[/quote]
Wifi on DS has to be WEP security as best, right? It doesn't support WPA2? I remember wanting to do wifi but it was too much of a hassle to temporarily change to a different security setting, and I didn't want to go with a permanent, weaker setting... which I don't think is all that weak anyway. My understanding is that WEP can be broken but it's not as easy as simply jumping on an unsecured connection, you have to work at it. Anyone want to fill me in on if WEP is substantially less secure than WPA2?

[quote name='Rig']Switches (and especially hubs) are terrible.[/QUOTE]

That's not a fair statement at all. In fact, it's just flat out wrong.

Switches and routers are two different things -- although most routers have built-in switches. Switches are for LAN networking (computer-to-computer), where-as routers are for WAN networking (internet).

For people with serious LAN needs, like serious gaming competitions, businesses, etc, switches are necessary. A good 16-port switch can be found for ~$100, where-as a 16-port router with good switching is far more expensive.

Most home users are fine with a cheap router, using it for both WAN and LAN. Others may benefit from a cheap router with a cheap switch, using the router for WAN and the switch for LAN. Businesses usually have a decent WAN-only router with an expensive switch. Gaming competitions usually involve switches and no routers, since they need low latency LAN but don't need WAN.

The point is, no, switches are not "terrible." However, the OP does not need one.

I'll put in another vote for a router. I tried to do it the cheapass way for a long time running long ass cables and using whatever cheap crap or tricks I could find to try and split my connection and it amounted to many many headaches. Finally I just bought a decent wireless router a year or so ago and it's been great. Easy to setup, especially compared to the crap I was doing, and it works much better. Just save up 40$ or so and wait for a sale or rebate. You'll be much happier in the long run.

You need a router. There is no way to do it with a switch.

I can't put it any simpler then that. There are now more sophisticated switches(layer3/L3 switches) where you can make them into a 48port "mini" router but on a simple switch there is no way for you to tell the switch to use "port1" as its gateway for all requests sent by "port2 24".

Also you only recieve one ip address from you dsl line. That means one device on the switch will use that external IP adress to route its information. When another device asks to use the network it will remove it from the first item and give it to the second address. When you purchase a router it takes care of your routing information, dns, private and public addressing and they throw in some crappy firewall stuff to stealth all inbound ports.

Totally worth 40$.

& before someone says vlans for the address. your wrong.

Spring for a wireless router. Better to invest in one piece of good hardware than keep buying workaround junk. A wireless router pays for itself in time. Especially if you also have a PSP (internet radio FTW), DS, iPod/iPhone, etc. You'll understand when you experience the sheer joy of checking your e-mail while sitting on the shitter.

bread's done
Back