Best/Worst Box Arts of 2004

AnthonyRoundtree

CAGiversary!
As 2004 comes to an end... many sites and communites... and lesser respected cable networks all award this years games with honorary mentions....

Well..... regardless of how amazing these games are... to the uninformed consumer... the deciding factor on the sole purchase of a game off a shelf... could be decided upon by the box art....

So... without boring anyone here too much... let me get straight to the point...

Lets see what CAGers feel should get horable mentions for best and worst of 2004 in the box art categories.

Be sure to post the images (not too big guys!) and clearly specify your notion for BEST or WORST of 2004......

Ready?

As a matter of fact... this size pushes it... but stick to ebgames.com for a great pictoral reference.

Here is... My option for Best Box Art of 2004.

245460.jpg

When I imported this puppy opening the package to reveal one of the most colorful and hilarious covers I'd ever seen.... i was shocked at how well it actually represented not only the tone of the game... but the concept of the gameplay itself...

I actually had a bet going on amongst friends that if it would ever get imported... thered be no chance in hell that they'd keep the box art... just look at ICO in Japan and Europe....
B00005UJSY.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

compared to ours in the US.....
B00004YUWA.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

pretty disgusting right?
well needles to say... I lost the bet... but won the war.
Not only is KD my pick for Game of the Year... but its also got the best Box art... hand down....

Four runners up for best Box Arts this year.... include....

Pikmin 2

598501.jpg

So much production value seen on this amazing gem... the colorful action shot with the sculpted and photgraphed models is a rarity among the shelf space... is this game on YOUR shelf? It should be.....
NOTE: Nintendo almost went with this cover... seen here....

f51eb009-1b59-4798-8549-f71e67987971.gif

Thankfully... at last minute... the traditional line 'em up and smile cover cover was scrapped for the earlier action shot. Cheers Nintendo.

Feel The Magic XY/XX
245935.jpg

How many other games in your collection have such a dead sexy and revealing cover that at the same time reveals nothing, but style.

WORST for this year will hardly need explanation.... but I'll show them to you anyway.....

Stare in disgust. Stare. In. Disgust.

Culprit No. 1 The Guy Game
244785.jpg

Culprit No. 2 Donkey Konga (disc case)
Sure you dont really pick THIS off the shelf... but once you get it home.. you DO NOT want to keep this around for others to see....
244024.jpg

BEST - Actually, I like the simplicity of Halo 2 CE.
Worst - ESPN 2K5 is bad, but there was a worse title. I can't remember the name of the game, but it was shown in EGM; the cover art shows a badly drawn teenage girl who is the star of the game. It is for XBox, and was originally supposed to be a launch title for the system, but didn't come out until this year.

[quote name='rebenns']BEST - Actually, I like the simplicity of Halo 2 CE.
Worst - ESPN 2K5 is bad, but there was a worse title. I can't remember the name of the game, but it was shown in EGM; the cover art shows a badly drawn teenage girl who is the star of the game. It is for XBox, and was originally supposed to be a launch title for the system, but didn't come out until this year.[/quote]

malice??

Worst - ESPN 2K5 is bad, but there was a worse title. I can't remember the name of the game, but it was shown in EGM; the cover art shows a badly drawn teenage girl who is the star of the game. It is for XBox, and was originally supposed to be a launch title for the system, but didn't come out until this year.[/quote]

Malice?
223413.jpg

Dog's Life has gotta be the worst I've seen in a long time. Even if you like Katamari Damacy, though, you gotta admit that's its too simplistic.

As far as ESPN NBA, it could have been worse, they could have put Artest on it...

Was it Malice?

Damn I got beat by two minutes. =/

[quote name='Scorch']Hm. I don't think it's been posted, but was it Malice?

:cool:[/quote]

look up about 7 posts.

Edit- Um..4.

Worst:
There's alot....Get on Da Mic comes to mind, and the Guy Game despite having some hot chicks on there, the picture of the host guy or whatever makes me wanna break the case into a thousand pieces for some reason.

Best:
Not even a game really, I'd have to say the best boxart I've seen this year were on the SE Street Fighter Controllers.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it's Malice.

Best - Halo 2 LE (Flame me! :D )
- Katarmari Damacy

Worst - Catwoman
- Gallan (or however you spell the crappy pirate game.)

I don't know why, but I really like Second Sight's cover.
281065b.jpg

The worst I guess is Smackdown vs Raw. I don't want to look at Vince's sweaty face.
281096b.jpg

[quote name='tcrash247']The worst I guess is Smackdown vs Raw. I don't want to look at Vince's sweaty face.
281096b.jpg
[/quote]

Thats who that is. I always wondered. And yeah that cover sucks a big one.

Most of the titles being recommend for worst box art are also some of the worst games (or at least, really bad games). As a slight offshoot of the topic, does anybody want to post the game they think has the biggest discrepency between good game/bad cover and bad game/good cover?

[quote name='guessed'] As a slight offshoot of the topic, does anybody want to post the game they think has the biggest discrepency between good game/bad cover and bad game/good cover?[/quote]

gimme a minute....

Best Box Art for a Terrible Game in 2004?
239326.jpg

Admit it.... this LOOKED promising.....
and yes.... EVERYONE read it "Driv Three Are" ..... but it looked pretty.

Worst Box Art for a Great Game in 2004?
241955.jpg

Pesonally... I like the box art.... actually... i feel its one of the coolest... but you gotta admit... its definately a turn off to the mass consumer... especially since the mass consumer is frighteningly unaware of the amazing amount of deep gameplay involved with the FM series... this does not win over the uninformed... nor does it do well to inform them.

It looks like I am in the minority here, but I actually can't stand the box art for Katamari Damacy. I'd actually nominate it for the worst. Nominating a sports game for worst box art is cheating. It's not really "art" anyway, just a picture of one of the players.

Best box art has to between MGS 3: SE, POP: Warior Within or Metriod Prime 2: Echoes. Of course I think I am suffering from a severe case of the recency effect on this.

[quote name='chickenhawk']It looks like I am in the minority here, but I actually can't stand the box art for Katamari Damacy. I'd actually nominate it for the worst. Nominating a sports game for worst box art is cheating. It's not really "art" anyway, just a picture of one of the players.

Best box art has to between MGS 3: SE, POP: Warior Within or Metriod Prime 2: Echoes. Of course I think I am suffering from a severe case of the recency effect on this.[/quote]

Photography can be a form of art. Besides, the ESPN 2k4 lineup had some of the best Sports boxart by far, where as NBA 2k5 is just laughable.

[quote name='nixts']Best -- Rengoku (PSP)

img10071051476.jpeg

Worst -- Under the Skin (PS2)

243873.jpg
[/quote]

Rengoku got delayed so it probably wont be out in 04

Best: Star Wars: KOTOR II (Xbox)
210605b.jpg

I think this rivals the best of the artwork for the movie posters.

+Honorable Mention: Fable (Xbox)
210294b.jpg

It explains the premise of the game and that everything in the game glows.

Worst: Street Jam Basketball (GBA)
160468b.jpg

It looks like something someone scrawled across a napkin in a game of word association.

-Dishonorable Mention: Donkey Konga (GC)
220446b.jpg

Just because it's a in a pack with the bongos, it doesn't mean Nintendo had to skimp on designing the cover for the game. I've seen them do a lot better with their "Who are you?" ads.

Crash Bandicoot Twinsanity should be nominated (although i doubt it would win)

my original reaction was laughter. Just something about the way crash was drawn jumping on cortez was funny. it also fit the games mood and described it rather well

Its a tie for worst, between Ghost Recon 2 and Mechassault 2.
I can't believe I'm the first to mention those ugly ass boxes.

What is so horrible about Donkey Konga? I don't think the cover art is that bad.

Best: Mortal Kombat (Raiden version)

Worst: Your mom.

This isn't from this year (nor current system) but its so bad it can maybe spur some thought thinking of the stinkers of this year.

Worstpic3.jpg

194693.jpg

and my favorite.

wtf.jpg

246601.jpg

Best: HALO:CE

Looks better in person... picture just doesn't do it justice...

B0002LI6EO.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Worst: Killzone... just looked not official...

918762.jpg

[quote name='ZForce915']What is so horrible about Donkey Konga? I don't think the cover art is that bad.

Best: Mortal Kombat (Raiden version)

Worst: Your mom.[/quote]

HAHA, no

MGS3 had pretty good box art, as did Halo 2 (both versions), and KH CoM.

Worst might go to Demon Stone. I understand the art style, but I thought it coulda been so much cooler.

Honorable mention for best cover artwork of a hot game chick from a damn good game would go to Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

bread's done
Back