- - - - -

Common Misconceptions

#1 Foo228   Brawl Nights host CAGiversary!   5034 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:11 AM

We just started reading Frankenstein in my English class and I never knew that Frankenstein was the creator, not the creature...anyways, enough of my lapse of whom I thought the green creature was
Spoiler
I'd like to hear about some of my fellow cag's common misconceptions

#2 Rocko   Hurm. CAGiversary!   38793 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:14 AM

Not a misconception about a story, but a word.

I always thought it was "Perogative," not "Prerogative."

#3 R1V3R5   No Pussy McNeverSexes CAGiversary!   2500 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:20 AM

Bats.

There is a common misconception that they are blind, will get tangled in your hair, and all carry rabies. In fact, bats have great vision but rely on echolocation for night hunting. They seldom get tangled in anything, most certainly not your hair. And while they can carry rabies, a very small amount do. You are far more likely to run in to a dog with rabies.
Posted Image
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
-Francois Fenelont

#4 peteloaf   ULTRA COMBO! CAGiversary!   1340 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:00 AM

Godzilla isn't green. He's black y'all.

#5 camoor   Jams on foot fires CAGiversary!   15217 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:10 AM

I used to believe that the Republican party was fiscally conservative.

#6 JolietJake   Banned Banned   20202 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

JolietJake

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:44 AM

You never knew that Frankenstein was the doctor? Have you never seen a single Frankenstein movie where the doctor is called by his name?

I enjoy the videos and puns posted by Joliet Jake. I think he's almost as funny as my favorite comedian, Dane Cook. Now excuse me while I listen to Fallout Boy's music on their myspace page.

#7 Xevious   Most Damned CAG Evar CAGiversary!   8914 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:52 AM

There is a misconception about Quicksand. In reality, you can actually swim out of quicksand. Those Tarzan movies lied!!

Damn you xevious...

Damn you Xevious... damn you to hell.....

Damn you Xevious be quiet.

So you know EBM? Damn you Xevious...

#8 joe2187   I AM THE DANGER! CAGiversary!   6359 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:59 AM

Godzilla isn't green. He's black y'all.

You're wrong...he's both

Posted Image

#9 HotShotX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3532 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:08 AM

There is a misconception about Quicksand. In reality, you can actually swim out of quicksand. Those Tarzan movies lied!!

To elaborate, you can't even drown in quicksand, its density is too great for a human being to sink below their head. At worst, death by quicksand involves being trapped in place until you starve or dehydrate to death.

A common misconception in my field is that aircraft are capable of flight due to a pressure difference above and below a wing. This is wrong, flight is possible due to Newton's Third Law of Motion (Action-Reaction), in that airflow passing over and under a curved airfoil is directed downward, and as a result, an equal force is generated in the opposite direction (i.e. lift).

~HotShotX
[chipinsig]dc7c442c9bf5c573[/chipinsig]

#10 Short Round   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   567 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Short Round

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:16 AM

I was always taught that Jews kept little bags of gold tied around their necks. Boy was I wrong; they actually keep it tied around their waists!
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 Wet Ninja   Cheaping from the shadows CAGiversary!   1346 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:54 AM

The lead singer of Hootie and the Blowfish is not named Hootie. His name is Darius Rucker.

#12 CouRageouS  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:08 PM

You shouldn't put your fleshlight in the dishwasher. I don't know if it's dishwasher safe but its really uncool when I get up in the morning and just want a clean bowl for my corn pops and see that next to my Iron Man collector's glass. Asshole.

#13 ananag112   CAGS FOR COCO! CAGiversary!   4294 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:37 PM

To elaborate, you can't even drown in quicksand, its density is too great for a human being to sink below their head. At worst, death by quicksand involves being trapped in place until you starve or dehydrate to death.

A common misconception in my field is that aircraft are capable of flight due to a pressure difference above and below a wing. This is wrong, flight is possible due to Newton's Third Law of Motion (Action-Reaction), in that airflow passing over and under a curved airfoil is directed downward, and as a result, an equal force is generated in the opposite direction (i.e. lift).

~HotShotX

Yup.
Ah the joys of aerodynamics (I have my final Monday :( )
Posted Image

#14 HotShotX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3532 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:38 PM

Yup.
Ah the joys of aerodynamics (I have my final Monday :( )

Have fun with that, I'm off to get raped by my Aerospace Structural Design final now.

Thankfully, playing a 360 afterwards can heal an ailing asshole.

~HotShotX
[chipinsig]dc7c442c9bf5c573[/chipinsig]

#15 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22402 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:42 PM

Irregardless is not a word people!!!

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#16 wubb   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   20114 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:44 PM

Once you go black you do sometimes go back.

Another Frankenstein related one is that the monster is actually very intelligent in the novel contrary to how he's potrayed in most movies/pop culture/classic SNL holiday greeting skits.

#17 munch   la tête de CAG CAGiversary!   19476 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

I was always taught that Jews kept little bags of gold tied around their necks. Boy was I wrong; they actually keep it tied around their waists!

:rofl:

#18 MushaOne  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:51 PM

Irregardless is not a word people!!!

I was gonna post that but I couldnt remember what people said. Irregardless, it was posted anyways;) Whats strange is Firefox doesnt underline it in red as being misspelled. I cant stand when people say that or "I could care less"

"I could care less" makes no sense and isnt what people mean. Usually they want to elaborate on how little they care. If you could care less it means there is room underneath the amount you do care. "I could NOT care less" is what people mean. Meaning you care so little that its not possible for you to care any less.

#19 hostyl1   Rejoice commoners! CAGiversary!   2465 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:52 PM

Bats.
They seldom get tangled in anything, most certainly not your hair.

Yeah, pretty much if a person gets entangled with bat, it's the person's fault not the bat.

I think it's more correct to say that it is a combination of these two effects that provide lift (UIUC BSAAE '99)

Not really sure this is 'misconception' per se but flammable and inflammable mean the same thing, capable of being set on fire (think inflame - able)

#20 SithFran   Baweep granaweep ninibong CAGiversary!   1076 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:36 PM

Not really sure this is 'misconception' per se but flammable and inflammable mean the same thing, capable of being set on fire (think inflame - able)

"Inflammable is the same as flammable? What a country!" Dr. Nick

Uh... trick question... dcfox waxes and JFD hasn't sprouted nub fuzz yet.

#21 Drnick   Champion Cheapass CAGiversary!   590 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:33 PM

"Inflammable is the same as flammable? What a country!" Dr. Nick

thanks for stealing my quote! ;-)
-Dr. Nick

"The Best part was when he gave me my money!"
"Inflammable means flammable!? What a country!"

#22 GuilewasNK   No gimmicks necessary. CAGiversary!   21266 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:25 PM

A common misconception about bowling is that the more spin you put on the ball, the more curve or hook action you get. In actuality a number of factors are at play in regards to ball action including oil patterns on the lane, ball composition, and the speed of the throw. I see so many people cupping the ball with the middle and ring finger in, and leaving the thumb out. Its looks ridiculous.

Posted Image

It is illegal to assault the internet. - Xi Yanchun

click for my list ---> Posted Image RPGS added!

#23 mykevermin   Queen of Scotland CAGiversary!   37008 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:35 PM

You shouldn't put your fleshlight in the dishwasher. I don't know if it's dishwasher safe but its really uncool when I get up in the morning and just want a clean bowl for my corn pops and see that next to my Iron Man collector's glass. Asshole.

:shock:

:rofl:

:shock:
Posted Image

#24 dracula   i'll buy that for a dolla CAGiversary!   4849 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:35 PM

Another Frankenstein related one is that the monster is actually very intelligent in the novel contrary to how he's potrayed in most movies/pop culture/classic SNL holiday greeting skits.

I am pretty sure the deniro version of frankenstien had him quoting william wordsworth. But its been a long time, i dont remember.

As for my misconceptions, I used to think that the earth was closer to the sun in the summer, but its the opposite, the sun is higher in the sky, futher away in the summer and thats why its hotter in the summer.

edit, OH ok, i see you wrote most movies. true enough. at least in the mel brooks version he packin a party in his pants
"If it ain't fifty cents then I dont want it."

http://www.cheapassg...171#post1074171

Posted Image

#25 neocisco   Changnesiac CAGiversary!   19011 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:02 PM

True. Not easy, but true.

Now playing (& watching):

:dvd:-Bones season 12

:pc:-Marvel Puzzle Quest
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#26 QiG   I'm all out of gum.. CAGiversary!   2866 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:09 PM

In my 10th grade Spanish class, one of the kids that sat behind actually said, "Wow, they have a word for everything in Spanish."

It's true :-k
Posted Image

#27 Hatedlegion   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   10 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Hatedlegion

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:39 PM

I once believed that old people don't sue. I was wrong.

Not one of mine, but a high school kid in one of my college classes thought that "volitional" and "violational" meant the same thing.
If there were ever a place to hate, it would be the America Southwest.

Why it's not a gigantic solar farm, I don't know!

#28 Xevious   Most Damned CAG Evar CAGiversary!   8914 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:49 PM

What the hell is a fleshlight?

Damn you xevious...

Damn you Xevious... damn you to hell.....

Damn you Xevious be quiet.

So you know EBM? Damn you Xevious...

#29 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22402 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:58 PM

What the hell is a fleshlight?

Google it... but not at work.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#30 xenoman80   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1076 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

xenoman80

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:33 PM

Google it... but not at work.

lol!!!!