Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

Rodimus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
Comic Book disscussion Thread. Feel welcome to talk about any & everything comic book related.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the first issue of Secret Invasion last night... finally. Lots of stuff going on. Won't read issue #2 till next month but already I'm shocked at who turned out to be a Skrull. Honestly not who I was expecting. I got the following in last night.

Amazing Spider-Man 555-557
Annihilation Conquest 6
AOD/Xena Y Not? 2
Avengers Fairy Tales 2
Avengers The Initiative 11-12
Buddha Story of Enlightenment 2
Captain America 37
Captain Marvel 5
Dark Tower Long Road Home 2
Fantastic Four 556
Hulk 3
Incredible Herc 116
Kick Ass 2
Last Defenders 2
Mighty Avengers 12
New Avengers 40
New Exiles 4-5
New Warriors 11
Nova 12
Secret Invasion 1
Thor 8
Thor Ages of Thunder
Thunderbolts 119
Transformers Spotlight Grimlock
Ultimate FF 53
Ultimate Spider-Man 121
Uncanny X-Men 497
Wolverine Origins 24
X-Factor 30
X-Force 3
X-Men Divided We Stand 1

Can't wait to get off work and read a few more, but I absolutly had to read Secret Invasion #1 & Annihilation Conquest #6 right away.

[quote name='Rodimus']I read the first issue of Secret Invasion last night... finally. Lots of stuff going on. Won't read issue #2 till next month but already I'm shocked at who turned out to be a Skrull. Honestly not who I was expecting. I got the following in last night.

Can't wait to get off work and read a few more, but I absolutly had to read Secret Invasion #1 & Annihilation Conquest #6 right away.[/quote]

Annihilation Conquest was awesome.

Can't wait for Galactic Guardians

Also, I hope all Daredevil fans picked up the Black Tarantula one shot last week

[quote name='manthing']Annihilation Conquest was awesome.

Can't wait for Galactic Guardians[/quote]

You mean Guardians of the Galaxy. I know, it all sounds the same. I can't wait for it also. I has a huge fan of the orginal GotG back in the day. But the new team of Adam Warlock, Gamora,Quasar, Drax the Destroyer, Rocket Raccoon and Star-Lord is a pretty kick-ass cast for the team.

I did perfer Annihilation over Annihilation Conquest but I loved the re-introduction of Starlord. I just wonder when Thanos will pop back into the picture.

Can't wait to see how the events in space tie into the events on Earth.

Thanks for the suggestions in the other thread Rodimus. I may take a look at a few of those. Definitely going to look into Kick Ass.

Hehehe... "mangas."

Skrulls, you say?

Captain America
Archangel
Angel
Illuminati
Cyclops Wolverine Colossus
Doc Ock/Sandman/Electro
Magneto/Scarlet Witch (purple helmet is the sign of the devil)
Thor
Crimson Dynamo (next to Archangel)
Nova
Thing/Torch
Ikaris/Eternals
Exiles Morph/Cannonball?
Phoenix
Giant Man
Sabretooth (nondescript one in the front right side)

All the above are Skrulls, I say. :drool:

[quote name='craven_fiend']Thanks for the suggestions in the other thread Rodimus. I may take a look at a few of those. Definitely going to look into Kick Ass.[/quote]

I heard there are plans for a Kick-Ass movie already.

So can anyone tell me who was recruiting for Nick Fury in the new Mighty Avengers since tghe thread was closed right after I asked.

[quote name='chasemurata']Hehehe... "mangas."

Skrulls, you say?

Captain America
Archangel
Angel
Illuminati
Cyclops Wolverine Colossus
Doc Ock/Sandman/Electro
Magneto/Scarlet Witch (purple helmet is the sign of the devil)
Thor
Crimson Dynamo (next to Archangel)
Nova
Thing/Torch
Ikaris/Eternals
Exiles Morph/Cannonball?
Phoenix
Giant Man
Sabretooth (nondescript one in the front right side)

All the above are Skrulls, I say. :drool:[/quote]

Hmmm, I don't know about that. But if you have read the second Secret Invasion comic, you find that things are not as they seem in the skrull ship and something about Hawkeye(Clint Barton, Ronin)

[quote name='Rodimus']You mean Guardians of the Galaxy. I know, it all sounds the same. I can't wait for it also. I has a huge fan of the orginal GotG back in the day. But the new team of Adam Warlock, Gamora,Quasar, Drax the Destroyer, Rocket Raccoon and Star-Lord is a pretty kick-ass cast for the team.

I did perfer Annihilation over Annihilation Conquest but I loved the re-introduction of Starlord. I just wonder when Thanos will pop back into the picture.

Can't wait to see how the events in space tie into the events on Earth.[/quote]

Good thread, I will try to post every Wedensday the Marvel comics. Also, the Guardians of the Galaxy look kick ass. Oh, and Rodimus, X-Force 3,X-Men Divided We Stand 1, Avengers The Initiative 11-12, Captain America 37, Hulk 3, and Last Defenders 2 are really good.:D

[quote name='st0neface']So can anyone tell me who was recruiting for Nick Fury in the new Mighty Avengers since tghe thread was closed right after I asked.[/quote]

Daisy something from 'Secret War' a few years back

[quote name='yukafls']Good thread, I will try to post every Wedensday the Marvel comics. Also, the Guardians of the Galaxy look kick ass. Oh, and Rodimus, X-Force 3,X-Men Divided We Stand 1, Avengers The Initiative 11-12, Captain America 37, Hulk 3, and Last Defenders 2 are really good.:D[/quote]

I read X-men Divided we Stand #1 and I wasn't a big fan. Besides Nightcrawler it was a bunch of X-Men who I either don't know or don't care about. But then again I've just now gotten into the X-Titles. And thanks for the nice comment about the thread. I'm aways open for feedback.

The Last panel of New Avengers #40 was mind-bursting. I kinda had an idea but who would've guessed
Spider-Woman is the fucking Queen skrull!!!

With that said I agree with manthing. While it was a great comic the only aspect that tied it to an Avengers title was the very last panel. Still it was brillant. And as for Mighty Avengers it's cool to see what Nicks been up to, but then I have to agree with Manthing again, great comic, but why Avengers? These would've made more sense as one-shots.

Do you guys get your stuff from a local store or from an online one? I used to get them online with a sweet discount, but had to wait at least a month from when they came out. Didn't mind too much as I don't really have anyone to talk to about comics.

[quote name='SithFran']Do you guys get your stuff from a local store or from an online one? I used to get them online with a sweet discount, but had to wait at least a month from when they came out. Didn't mind too much as I don't really have anyone to talk to about comics.[/quote]

I get my subscription online. It sucks waiting a month, but when I do get them it's like Luke Cage would say, "Sweet Christmas"

[quote name='Rodimus']I read X-men Divided we Stand #1 and I wasn't a big fan. Besides Nightcrawler it was a bunch of X-Men who I either don't know or don't care about. But then again I've just now gotten into the X-Titles. And thanks for the nice comment about the thread. I'm aways open for feedback.

The Last panel of New Avengers #40 was mind-bursting. I kinda had an idea but who would've guessed

With that said I agree with manthing. While it was a great comic the only aspect that tied it to an Avengers title was the very last panel. Still it was brillant. And as for Mighty Avengers it's cool to see what Nicks been up to, but then I have to agree with Manthing again, great comic, but why Avengers? These would've made more sense as one-shots.[/quote]

Yeah, well I have not read the New Avengers one yet, but I never would have guessed that. But, as I posted earlier, when you read the Secret Invasion #1 and 2 things are really not as they seem. Ok, here is what happened in Secret Invasion#2. DO NOT read unless it is killing you to know a little bit of what happened
Hawkeye(skrull) gets killed, and Clint B(Ronin) takes his Bow and Arrow. Well when Mockingbird finds his body and says that she knew that skrulls must have gotten in, and then Wolverine and Luke Cage find her. So she starts saying she is not one of them and Clint shoots an arrow into Logan's leg before he can kill her. So Clint asks her a question about October 12. And then you find something REALLY, REALLY big about that skrull ship and Mockingbird and Clint
With that said, after reading the what I wrote above I can't wait for the next comic. There is also a REALLY interesting piece at the end of the comic about NY, and it isn't looking good for earth. I would say the score so far is Skrulls:2 Heroes:0

[quote name='Rodimus']I read X-men Divided we Stand #1 and I wasn't a big fan. Besides Nightcrawler it was a bunch of X-Men who I either don't know or don't care about. But then again I've just now gotten into the X-Titles. And thanks for the nice comment about the thread. I'm aways open for feedback.

With that said I agree with manthing. While it was a great comic the only aspect that tied it to an Avengers title was the very last panel. Still it was brillant. And as for Mighty Avengers it's cool to see what Nicks been up to, but then I have to agree with Manthing again, great comic, but why Avengers? These would've made more sense as one-shots.[/QUOTE]

Comment about the spoiler in the quote:
Now they didn't EXACTLY say she was Spider-Woman, they merely presented her with the option, hehe. However, if she is indeed Spider-Woman, then good luck Avengers, you're going to need it.

With that said I agree with manthing. While it was a great comic the only aspect that tied it to an Avengers title was the very last panel. Still it was brillant. And as for Mighty Avengers it's cool to see what Nicks been up to, but then I have to agree with Manthing again, great comic, but why Avengers? These would've made more sense as one-shots.[/quote]

[quote name='DeskLaser']Comment about the spoiler in the quote:
Now they didn't EXACTLY say she was Spider-Woman, they merely presented her with the option, hehe. However, if she is indeed Spider-Woman, then good luck Avengers, you're going to need it.
[/quote]

Well, it kinda implied it. But you could be right, after some of the surprises I have seen already, I would not be surprised if it was someone else.

Anyone care to share a good website that I can read summaries or recaps of the Secret Invasion? I tend to just read about it online and pick up trades later on.

There are several websites with some good summaries/reviews such as IGN and Comicbook Resources. Now you can always try a podcast...ohh I don't know www.aboutheroes.com per say. Damn that was a shameless plug. Did anybody else enjoy The Invincible Iron Man #1 comic as much as I did? Along with The Boys 18 and Rann Thannagar Holy War it was my favorite book this week.

how far back does this skrull invsion thing go and how is it possible for them to mimic peoples powers? also is there a chance someone could do a running spoiler list of how is confirmed as skrull? im kinda curious to know having been into comics in the 90s.

[quote name='lokizz']how far back does this skrull invsion thing go and how is it possible for them to mimic peoples powers? also is there a chance someone could do a running spoiler list of how is confirmed as skrull? im kinda curious to know having been into comics in the 90s.[/quote]

It goes pretty far back, all the way to the Kree/Skrull war which was released back in the 70's. But the seeds for the story wasn't planted until New Avenger #1 (2004) But what really jump started it was New Avengers #29 when Elektra was found out to be a Skrull. After that little hints were being dropped all over the place.

If you read New Avengers #40 it explains how they're able to mimic their powers undetected. But without spoiling too much it was pretty much the Illuminati's fault.

[quote name='Rodimus']It goes pretty far back, all the way to the Kree/Skrull war which was released back in the 70's. But the seeds for the story wasn't planted until New Avenger #1 (2004) But what really jump started it was New Avengers #29 when Elektra was found out to be a Skrull. After that little hints were being dropped all over the place.

If you read New Avengers #40 it explains how they're able to mimic their powers undetected. But without spoiling too much it was pretty much the Illuminati's fault.[/quote]

I bought the first one, and it explained about how Reed Richards hypnotized 3 skrulls into thinking that they were cows. So the skrulls shape shifted to cows, but then somehow they broke out of the trance and attacked the West Coast or regular Avengers....I cannot remember.

[quote name='coolsteel']Soo I haven't been following this all too closely, are the Skrulls killing those they impersonate or what?[/quote]

They haven't said yet. For all we know there could be two of the same hero running around. However the Skrulls like the idea of taking the place of an already deceased hero, since they have a habit of coming back to life anyways.

[quote name='yukafls']I bought the first one, and it explained about how Reed Richards hypnotized 3 skrulls into thinking that they were cows. So the skrulls shape shifted to cows, but then somehow they broke out of the trance and attacked the West Coast or regular Avengers....I cannot remember.[/quote]

They actually killed a few of the half Skrulls/cows for meat. And when a few humans ate it they obtained Skrull abilities along with and urge to kill all Skrulls. Very strange. Anyways that group may show up in SI.

Anyone else dislike the Ultimate Thanos arc in FF? It was all so boring.

[quote name='Rodimus']They haven't said yet. For all we know there could be two of the same hero running around. However the Skrulls like the idea of taking the place of an already deceased hero, since they have a habit of coming back to life anyways.

They actually killed a few of the half Skrulls/cows for meat. And when a few humans ate it they obtained Skrull abilities along with and urge to kill all Skrulls. Very strange. Anyways that group may show up in SI.

Anyone else dislike the Ultimate Thanos arc in FF? It was all so boring.[/quote]

Was that in the Skrull Kill Krew TPB??

And to reply to the top quote................you have to read the spoiler I put on the other page to find your answer. Man, you must be really dying to know what that spoiler is now.;)

[quote name='yukafls']Was that in the Skrull Kill Krew TPB??[/quote]

Could be, haven't read it. However it's been stated that the Skrull Kill Krew won't played a major role in the Secret Invasion.

[quote name='yukafls']
Oh, and how long till you get the Secret Invasion #2??[/quote]

"hmph"... In a month. Wish I could get sent comics weekly.

[quote name='Rodimus']
Anyone else dislike the Ultimate Thanos arc in FF? It was all so boring.[/quote]

616 Thanos is among my favorite villians ever. Ultimate version is horrible. Acheron is a total snoozefest.

[quote name='Rodimus']"hmph"... In a month. Wish I could get sent comics weekly.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure who you order your books through....but all of us at aboutheroes get our books from DCB Sercive. They have an option to get your books shipped weekly and we get our books on Thursday instead of Wednesday. They have the best prices on the net. For example if you pre-order trades they are usually 50% off.

http://www.dcbservice.com/

The Skrulls have been infiltrating the Marvel U since the 60s. Super Skrulls can mimic powers, but these seem to be a new breed of Skrulls. During the Twelve storyline in X-men, Wolverine was replaced by a Skrull when he became Death.

The most popular and longest Skrull infiltration was Lyja. She replaced Alicia Masters when the FF were hold off by the Beyonder during the Secret Wars until Fantastic Four # 374. Pretty much from 1985 to 1991.

I'm not sure if this Secret Invasion was planned out since New Avengers 1. I know Bendis claims that, but hell with a storyline like this you can pretty much claim it was planned out from Fantastic Four 2.

Damn I really enjoyed Invincible Iron Man 1. I love how as much as I hated Tony over the past couple years, both of his comics are definitely two of my favorites from Marvel. Can't wait to read Viva Las Vegas 1 in a bit.

[quote name='evilomar']I'm not sure who you order your books through....but all of us at aboutheroes get our books from DCB Sercive. They have an option to get your books shipped weekly and we get our books on Thursday instead of Wednesday. They have the best prices on the net. For example if you pre-order trades they are usually 50% off.

http://www.dcbservice.com/[/quote]

I checked out the site but was a little confused about ordering a subscription, I don't buy many TPB anymore. I saw individual comics but whats the best way to set up a subscription? Would it be easier to e-mail them a list?

Hey, I am about to update my trade list with some current comics if anyone is interested. I will post the full list later.

EDIT:

Here is the list, I will also throw in some bonus stuff
*Annihilation: Conquest Wraith #1 (2)
*Superman #39 (3)
*Superman #6 (1)
*Justice League of America #5 (3)
*Dark House Comics The Umbrella Academy (2)
*Uncanny X-Men #492 Messiah Complex Chapter 2 (1)
*X-Men #206 Messiah Complex Chapter 9 (2)
*Punisher War Journal #13 Hunter Hunted Part 1 (1)
*Punisher War Journal #5
*Avengers/Invaders Sketchbook

[quote name='Rodimus']Updated the OP.

Due to all the hype I put myself down for Invincible: Iron Man. Still haven't seen the movie yet.[/quote]

Me too, I cannot find the Invincible Iron Man anywhere.:cry::cry:

So I'm looking into getting back into comics and just picked up the following today:

Invincible Iron Man 1
Secret Invasion 1
X-Force 1-3
Cable 1-2

I really enjoyed all the books listed above, with Cable probably standing out as my favorite of the bunch. Is there anything else I should be checking out? Maybe any TPBs that would give a little more back story on what I just picked up?

[quote name='Mid Boss']So I'm looking into getting back into comics and just picked up the following today:

Invincible Iron Man 1
Secret Invasion 1
X-Force 1-3
Cable 1-2

I really enjoyed all the books listed above, with Cable probably standing out as my favorite of the bunch. Is there anything else I should be checking out? Maybe any TPBs that would give a little more back story on what I just picked up?[/quote]

You picked up some good Marvel comics. Nice choices. As for TPB it sounds like you're an X-Fan so I recommend "House of M," "Decimation" & mainly "Messiah Complex" when it comes out. Here's what I wrote in the previous thread, BTW they'er all Marvel titles. Hope it helps:

Secret Invasion - This years huge cross-over event. Skrulls are invading, I'm sure you've heard. The second issue is getting ready to come out. It shouldn't be too hard to locate issue #1. Plus if you liked Runaways they're having a tie-in called "Runaways/Young Avengers: Secret Invasion"... duh

Kick Ass - Think Super-Bad meets Marvel. Your typical nerd wants to be a superhero, but he's got no powers. Keep in mind this is not set in the Marvel Universe, so no Wolverine team-ups in this one. The first issue may be hard to get (it sold out fast) Issue #2 just came out and I think a reprint of Issue #1 will hit shelves soon.

X-Force - Probably my favorite X-Title out right now. Wolverine leads this new covert-ops X-Men team. The art is amazing. Issue #3 is the most recent

Incredible Herc - Trust me, this comic is amazing, action packed and funny. I've never been a Herc fan but I am now. It's Herc running around with boy genius Amadeus Cho being chased by S.H.E.I.L.D. with a great conforntation between him and his brother Aeres. He took over Hulk's old comic around issue #111. I urge you to pick up some back issues or wait for the first TPB. It also helps to know the World War Hulk story and Cho.

Hulk - He got a new series, it's currently on Issue #3. This one hasn't grabed me yet however I think it'll take off in the future.

Skaar: Son of Hulk - Set to come out this summer. If you liked WWH or Planet Hulk then this is a must.

Ultimate Spider-Man - The new Venom arc is starting up soon, it might be a good time to get onboard with the best Spider-Man title out. The great thing about Ultimate Spider-Man is being able to jump into at any arc.

Thor - He's back and he's reviving Asgard. Already at issue #8. Possibly pick up the TPB when it comes out.

Fantasctic Four - Just started a new arc a few issues back with power team of Millar & Hitch (Ultimates) They promise to jump start the FF and I'm on board. If you're intrested it's gonna be a 16-issue run. Go back a few issues to #554 and you should have no problem at all getting into it.

[quote name='Rodimus']You picked up some good Marvel comics. Nice choices. As for TPB it sounds like you're an X-Fan so I recommend "House of M," "Decimation" & mainly "Messiah Complex" when it comes out. Here's what I wrote in the previous thread, BTW they'er all Marvel titles. Hope it helps:[/quote]

Yeah, those would help you out thew most. But if you are a Cable fan, you should pick up Cable and Deadpool. Definitely the most awesome series.:D:D

Thanks for the help. Cable and Deadpool is definitely looking like a buy for me.

Any recommendations on where I can pick up some of these TPBs cheap? And for the House of M stuff, should I just check out the main House of M book or should I also look at the X-men, Hulk, Wolverine, etc. House of M books as well? Is there anything really important I'd be missing there?

[quote name='Mid Boss']Thanks for the help. Cable and Deadpool is definitely looking like a buy for me.

Any recommendations on where I can pick up some of these TPBs cheap? And for the House of M stuff, should I just check out the main House of M book or should I also look at the X-men, Hulk, Wolverine, etc. House of M books as well? Is there anything really important I'd be missing there?[/quote]

Try the main one first, but it doesn't matter which you start with first. I tried the Hulk first(It was cheapest) and it was pretty cool. I used to buy my TPB at Borders from Thursday to Sunday. They have a coupon (20% or more off of a book) that is only valid during those days. Usually when make a purchase, and have their rewards card, the coupon is on the receipt. You can also get one sent to your e-mail. Otherwise, check amazon.

Issue 2 was almost filler. The big reveal could have been condensed into either Issue 1 or 3.

More wanking from Bendis, which is what I expected.

Damn, tomorrow is going to suck, I am going to pick up these comics
MAR082191 ALL NEW IRON MANUAL
MAR082210 CAPTAIN BRITAIN AND MI 13 #1 SI
MAR082246 DEAD OF NIGHT FEATURING MAN THING #4 (OF 4) (MR)
MAR082182 GIANT SIZE INCREDIBLE HULK #1
MAR082180 GUARDIANS OF GALAXY #1
MAR082190 IRON MAN LEGACY OF DOOM #2 (OF 4)
MAR082219 LAST DEFENDERS #3 (OF 6)
MAR082209 SECRET INVASION FANTASTIC FOUR #1 (OF 3) SI
MAR082236 WOLVERINE AMAZING IMMORTAL MAN BLOODY TALES
MAR082243 X-MEN ORIGIN COLOSSUS
and I need to buy my new 360. I am going to be strapped for cash. I know this is uncomic related, but if you have not seen this you should. Its pretty funny.

http://cottonandsand.com/sandandcotton/?p=3014

bread's done
Back