At what age did you get your driver's license?

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
The question of this thread is asking everyone what age did they get their license at, if they have just a driver's permit, or if they are still without a license and no permit.

I just have a permit at the moment, for a few years. Reason is I've been away at college for a long time (just now finished) and never had the time to get it.

Well, I only have my permit now. But I am just 15. I will be getting my license shortly after my 16th birthday later this year.

UK Licence - 18
US Licence - 26

No offence to you yanks, but your driving test is a piece of piss, I can't believe people fail it.
Mind you when I'm out driving I guess it's very easy to see why people fail it :)

It's a hassle to get a driver's permit in California, you have to go to driving school for some hours so I just waited until I was 18 to get my license, I drove without a permit tho.

[quote name='benjamouth']UK Licence - 18
US Licence - 26

No offence to you yanks, but your driving test is a piece of piss, I can't believe people fail it.
Mind you when I'm out driving I guess it's very easy to see why people fail it :)[/QUOTE]I'm actually very worried I'll fail the test, no joke, which partially explains why I haven't taken it yet. I still can't parallel park yet. :whistle2:( Also worried I may hit a car, stop too hard, not take a smooth enough turn, not park straight enough, and so on. Or even, just failing the vision test because the last time I got a permit, I almost did due to my left eye being weak. :oops:

Slightly OT but a good story none the less.

A girl I knew at school failed her driving test because on the way out of the test center she hit the examiners car. He turned to her and said "I don't think there's much point going any further, you've failed".

Epically failed was more like it :D.

Permit at 15, license at 16. The picture on my license is still from the day when I took the permit test. I'm 22 now and look quite different but no ones ever asked when getting into clubs/bars.

[quote name='benjamouth']Slightly OT but a good story none the less.

A girl I knew at school failed her driving test because on the way out of the test center she hit the examiners car. He turned to her and said "I don't think there's much point going any further, you've failed".

Epically failed was more like it :D.[/QUOTE]I believe it. I know someone who forgot to make a right turn into the DMV (passed it), so he failed. However, he just went to another DMV, took the test, and passed.

No license for me. It's much easier for me to bum rides off of friends. I save a ton of money since I don't have to pay for insurance or gas as well.

I'm not a good driver anyway.

I got mine @ 24. I kept failing those darn driving exams. Sweaty palms, nervous and driving too slowly or driving too fast...Then again, I still have no car. I lost like 10 points on the last part of the exam. I tried parking without coming to a complete stop, I move the clutch to "P" since I was nervous.

Most people who live in country side ( suburbain ) households will usaully get there license as it is a extra ciriculum that students ( which is a good thing and it is free ) like in saved by the bell. People in Suburbs ( city neighborhoods ) will less likely get there license since it is not pushed on them.

The fact is most students, young adults, and minors today since they originally rasied the law to own a license is not allowed to drive and is limited to various areas. The whole idea is that younger drivers caused more accidents when in truth this has not been proven along with other reasons like Drinking, misconduct, and other reasons.

most people do not get there ID's until they are 20+ since they never go into any place that needs a ID. Most times when you get a ID you will get your permit. Some places would rather give permits only and you will never get a ID.
This is the fact that since the use of Automobiles like cars raised the status and age limit. This is shown threw film, literature, and even some videogames ( since lesser games in the west showed this and continue to do so ) .

Most people would rather play a Wii then learn how to drive or hang out and smoke weed then learn how to drive. As of this moment there is more Automobile cars laws being put into affect. There is even more talk of raising the limit again.

Other reasons is also.

1. They live in a place where walking, taking the bus, train is much faster.

2. There mind is occupied with other things ( like the internet, videogames, sex, school work or studies )

3. They are so cheap they don't want to pay the 60 dollars.

4. Again they have no job and they reached a point where a vehicle is a waste of time since they have no use for them.

5. They feel unincouraged to get one.

6. They fear that you loose rights by attaining your licenese. Read the booklets people.

7. They are illeagal.

8. They have a setup where driving a car is a waste of time.

9. They live in a place and never leave thanks to the internet.

10. They live at there jobs ( some jobs have bedrest for workers and even rooms )

11. They think they don't need to learn how to drive 9 in most cases.

From these polls.

I can only guess that most of you lived in country side areas where driving was
used alot or seemed needed. Walking around on a dirt road while everybody driving sucks does it not?

[quote name='afedock']Day I turned 16 I got my license...like every 16 year old should.[/QUOTE]I actually wanted to get mine at 16. My parents told me there's no way they are letting me get my license that young after what happened with my sister. So I had to wait, wait, and continue to wait, and eventually I went off to college rarely being home (and not having time).

[quote name='aphu9876']I got my license at 15 so I can't participate in the poll, thats too bad.[/QUOTE]I wasn't too sure if any state allowed people to drive under 16, so I didn't add that.
[quote name='Sofa King Kool']No license for me. It's much easier for me to bum rides off of friends. I save a ton of money since I don't have to pay for insurance or gas as well.

I'm not a good driver anyway.[/QUOTE]Yeah, gas is expensive, which is one of the reasons driving sucks now. It gives me extra money to buy video games. :D

Yeah, I'm not a good driver either; however, I try to hard to be a perfect driver, like I am with school work. Can't explain why.

[quote name='hero101']I got mine @ 24. I kept failing those darn driving exams. Sweaty palms, nervous and driving too slowly or driving too fast...Then again, I still have no car. I lost like 10 points on the last part of the exam. I tried parking without coming to a complete stop, I move the clutch to "P" since I was nervous.[/QUOTE]
I'm around your age and fear I may get nervous, but I gotta bite the bullet one day.

Permit at 15, license on my 16th birthday. I had never driven a car prior to my drivers education when I was 15 and it really scared the shit out of me. That was well over 10 years ago and now I want to get my motorcycle license to get a sport bike.

Also, people who don't have a car and leech off of people for rides are bitches. I can understand not having a license because you live where public transportation exists and keeping a car in such area is difficult (N.Y. City in a prime example) or you go to a university where you live on campus, so those people are the exception. However, the cost of insurance, registration, gas, and maintenance is expensive. Why should anyone else benefit from something that I put so much time and money in to?

^That last part was not directed at the OP, but at the hippies.

I got mine somewhere between 18-19. Parents forced me to take the exams because they thought it was silly I was worried. I was really worried about my Driving exams, I had it built up in my mind to be this hellish thing it wasn't. Found out that even though you had to do all of the normal things, stuff like parallel parking didn't count against you as long as you attempted it(of course this was due to local laws and stuff like that). Passed the first time too. Surprised the hell out of my folks. They figured I'd get nervous and fail, but be all the better the second time.

Best advice is to not worry and stress out about getting everything perfect, and just practice. Continually practice until you're relaxed being behind the wheel. Even after I had my license I still wasn't all that much a better driver. Took some time to make driving truly second nature.

My younger brother is 22 and even though he has his permit, the fear of failing test has paralyzed him. He won't even practice. If he can't do something perfectly the first time, it's not worth it to him. Should have seen it coming he's the same way with video games.

16 years 4 months I had a full license. Had the privilege of driving around my dads 9 year old Ford Aerostar at the time until I got an 88 Buick Century from my grandma the next spring.

Girlfriend got hers at 18.. she was scared of driving a car after one of her good friends died in a car crash in high school

[quote name='robobagins']

My younger brother is 22 and even though he has his permit, the fear of failing test has paralyzed him. He won't even practice. If he can't do something perfectly the first time, it's not worth it to him. Should have seen it coming he's the same way with video games.[/QUOTE]Sounds like me in ways. I haven't even practiced since October 2007. Yeah, I feel if I cannot drive perfectly, it's not worth my time; however, I badly need to get a license, so I can finally get a good job (finishing college is off my mind). I just hope I remember how to drive.

I actually do have my own car though.

I started this thread now because I'm quite old, and was curious how long it has taken most CAG members to get their license, whether it was right away, way later, or still lack it.

i keep telling my mom and dad that i need it but they ownt let me they say im not responseble enough because im a senor in high shcool and im 17 going on 18 but i havent been doing good and im in danger of faileing so they say in eed to straighten up "and fly" so i can get it but i theink they think im too small when im almost an adult

I'm pretty sure I got my license when I was 16, but I remember driving by myself when I was 15... the driver's permit/driver's license rules in Texas are kind of weird.

I am of the opinion that you shouldn't be able to get a driver's license unless you can, within a certain amount of time, successfully navigate an obstacle course in a standard-sized, manual-shift sedan with a sticky clutch and a cracked windshield. Driving should be a privilege of the proven. There's a reason why most major cities have public transportation services.

It has gotten to the point that, here in Dallas, driving during the daylight hours of any weekday is like entering a fucking demolition derby.
[quote name='benjamouth']A girl I knew at school failed her driving test because on the way out of the test center she hit the examiners car. He turned to her and said "I don't think there's much point going any further, you've failed".[/quote]That is classic. It would have been even funnier if she was trying to back out of the parking space at the beginning of the test, but she put it in "Drive" instead of "Reverse", pulled forward and hit the examiner's car in the space in front of her. That would have truly been the shortest driving exam ever.

Robobagins:
What anime is that girl wailing her arm from (in Sig)? I never seen that anime before? Sorry about being Off-topic.

[quote name='siderealshift']I'm pretty sure I got my license when I was 16, but I remember driving by myself when I was 15... the driver's permit/driver's license rules in Texas are kind of weird.[/quote]
Same here. Learned how to drive (taught by parents) at 15, started driving by myself (with my permit) when I finished driving school (then 16), although I didn't actually get my license until six months later. Assuming the rule hasn't changed, with a permit, you can drive as long as someone who is 21 or over is sitting in the passenger's seat. I remember driving very carefully those first six months, since I didn't want to get pulled over without a license. Less than a week after I got it, I was pulled over for the first time.

Anyway, for the first six months after you get your license, there are these rules like you can't drive from like midnight until 6 AM, or something like that, and you can't have more than one passenger in the vehicle with you.

I can't believe I remember all that. I'm 20 now.

As soon as I could, which was 16 or something. I did the test in high school, it was easy as fuck. I really wish those things were harder so there wouldn't be so many terrible drivers.

Then I got a car when I was 17 I think (IIRC it was about a month before I turned 18), which is the one I'm still driving. No accidents or tickets.

[quote name='aphu9876']I got my license at 15 so I can't participate in the poll, thats too bad.[/quote]

We're outcasts to the Poll society. :drool:

I barely passed the driving test with the bare minimum of a 70/100.

Completely failed the parallel parking, and still can't do that to this day.

I'm surprised so many people's parents were lenient and let their kids drive at 16. My parents weren't trusting of me and told me "heck no", I'm not driving until I'm in my 20's.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'm actually very worried I'll fail the test, no joke, which partially explains why I haven't taken it yet. I still can't parallel park yet. :whistle2:( Also worried I may hit a car, stop too hard, not take a smooth enough turn, not park straight enough, and so on. Or even, just failing the vision test because the last time I got a permit, I almost did due to my left eye being weak. :oops:[/quote]

Wow that sounds so much like me. I'm 18 now, I've had my learner license (we have this graduated licensing thing here in BC) since I was sixteen and have driven for like an hour total. I'm terrified of doing something wrong. It's kind of sad.

[quote name='magiic']Wow that sounds so much like me. I'm 18 now, I've had my learner license (we have this graduated licensing thing here in BC) since I was sixteen and have driven for like an hour total. I'm terrified of doing something wrong. It's kind of sad.[/QUOTE]

Dude...just go take it. Who gives a shit if you fail. In Florida, I'm pretty sure you can take it as many times as you want, there is just some period of time you must wait in between each test. I rarely ever drove when I had my permit at 15. My 16th birthday came, I said fuck it and drove my parents 1985 volvo (which is pretty much like a tank and had no power steering) through the test. I didn't do perfect, but I passed the damn thing...Once you start driving on a regular basis it really does become second nature. sooooooo go take your test.

[quote name='afedock']Dude...just go take it. Who gives a shit if you fail. In Florida, I'm pretty sure you can take it as many times as you want, there is just some period of time you must wait in between each test. I rarely ever drove when I had my permit at 15. My 16th birthday came, I said fuck it and drove my parents 1985 volvo (which is pretty much like a tank and had no power steering) through the test. I didn't do perfect, but I passed the damn thing...Once you start driving on a regular basis it really does become second nature. sooooooo go take your test.[/QUOTE]Well, in my state, if you fail, you gotta wait 14 days. And for me unfortunately, I cannot exactly wait 14 days so easily (especially when my permit expires). Although I've driven many times around the neighborhood, I still have some issues making a smooth brake or even making a smooth turn (not going too fast or too slow).

I'm 16 and have my permit now, I passed the driving test and Driver's Ed. I just need more driving hours before I can go get my liscence. I have about 25/40 hours in.

I got my license when I was 18, got my permit like a month or two before my birthday and than got the license about a week or two after my birthday. Failed the test the first time, making one mistake, and did it perfectly the second time. Didn't have to parallel park, if I did I probably would've failed.

My brother is like 27 and still doesn't have his license. He should though, but he keeps failing the test, and doesn't even actively drive so I guess it doesn't matter.

Got my license at 16

Actually during drivers ed I only drove once. It was me (white) and and an asian boy and girl with a old white guy teacher. He said I did perfect during my first drive, and made the asians practice more. Needless to say we all prayed when the asian girl drove. It was that damn scary, and she almost killed us on at least 3 occasions.

[quote name='afedock']Dude...just go take it. Who gives a shit if you fail. In Florida, I'm pretty sure you can take it as many times as you want, there is just some period of time you must wait in between each test. I rarely ever drove when I had my permit at 15. My 16th birthday came, I said fuck it and drove my parents 1985 volvo (which is pretty much like a tank and had no power steering) through the test. I didn't do perfect, but I passed the damn thing...Once you start driving on a regular basis it really does become second nature. sooooooo go take your test.[/quote]

In my province it is $75 a try. So I'd rather make sure Im going to pass it versus try it and fail and keep trying till I fail. I think we only have to wait a week between tries but at $75 a try I'd rather not fail it many times.

[quote name='Thongsy']

My brother is like 27 and still doesn't have his license. He should though, but he keeps failing the test, and doesn't even actively drive so I guess it doesn't matter.[/QUOTE]Ouch, I thought I was pretty old (25 years old). I hope he gets his sometime soon. I'll admit I feel very shameful for being this way, but what else can I do.

With the amount of time you spend visiting CAG and the amount of time you say you spend on other forums/PS3 games, I don't believe that you don't have enough time to get your license.

Just use your time more efficiently.

bread's done
Back