Guitar Hero 3 or Rock Band? Do both suck?

astromanluca

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
A friend of mine has Rock Band for his Xbox 360. It is super fun, even though I suck (HARD) at it.

I only have a Wii and a PC. No plans to get an Xbox 360 or PS3, really... I probably want a better TV first, and those aren't exactly cheap.

So if the Wii is my only option, should I even bother getting one of these? I'd probably enjoy it, but the lack of downloadable songs and the crappy, cut down feature set would really bug me, especially with Rock Band. On the other hand, they do still have the same core gameplay as the other versions, and at least we know Harmonix will be releasing song expansion discs for Rock Band since the Wii doesn't have a hard drive. It's just a shame that I won't be able to create characters and I'll have to just watch pre-rendered background animations, but the important thing is the actual gameplay, right?

I guess my main concern is that I'll get bored with the included songs and I'll be unable to get many more. Not to mention the fact that both games are less complete than the PS3/Xbox 360 versions but still cost the same.

Addendum to my question: are there any advantages to Guitar Hero III at all? I feel like the gameplay in Rock Band is superior, with the drums (I am a terrible singer and I am not doing karaoke). I know Rock Band is significantly crippled compared to its PS3/360 versions, but isn't GHIII the same way? If so, there's not much reason to even consider GHIII.

The main differences between the PS3/360 and Wii versions of GHIII are graphics and DLC. Wii still has online play intact as well as rankings, and being part of the CAG tour group.

Just have to ask yourself if the drums and out-of-the-box multiplayer is worth the extra $80.

Didn't we just have a huge argument thread of the merits of rockband vs. GH on the Wii? It seems like yesterday....

I should really learn to use that search engine.

It depends if you like the drums or not. I don't like them so I prefer GHIII. Plus the Rock Band guitar sucks compared to the GHIII one. Singing is only fun for the first few times you play. If you're going to be playing with a couple friends most of the time get rock band. If you're mostly playing by yourself get GHIII.

If you only have a Wii I wouldn't buy either. If you must get one for your Wii get Guitar Hero III it has the better songs on the disc IMO since Wii has no downloadable content for Rock Band or anything for that matter.

I think I'll probably just wait until I get bored with my Wii and sell it and get an Xbox 360 instead. It's bound to happen, it's just a matter of when. The same thing happened with my GameCube a few years ago. There just aren't enough compelling Wii games.

Guitar Hero III is really fun for the Wii, and the DLC for that game is lacking anyways. If you can find it cheap (by that I mean not $100), it's definitely worth picking up. On the other hand, Rock Band is an amazing game, but the DLC kind of makes the game in a lot of ways. If you really like the music in Rock Band, it might be okay, but the amount of good downloadable stuff on there is fantastic and you'd be really missing out by buying the Wii version.

[quote name='astromanluca']
A friend of mine has Rock Band for his Xbox 360. It is super fun, even though I suck (HARD) at it.

I only have a Wii and a PC. No plans to get an Xbox 360 or PS3, really... I probably want a better TV first, and those aren't exactly cheap.

So if the Wii is my only option, should I even bother getting one of these? I'd probably enjoy it, but the lack of downloadable songs and the crappy, cut down feature set would really bug me, especially with Rock Band. On the other hand, they do still have the same core gameplay as the other versions, and at least we know Harmonix will be releasing song expansion discs for Rock Band since the Wii doesn't have a hard drive. It's just a shame that I won't be able to create characters and I'll have to just watch pre-rendered background animations, but the important thing is the actual gameplay, right?

I guess my main concern is that I'll get bored with the included songs and I'll be unable to get many more. Not to mention the fact that both games are less complete than the PS3/Xbox 360 versions but still cost the same.

I think I'll probably just wait until I get bored with my Wii and sell it and get an Xbox 360 instead. It's bound to happen, it's just a matter of when. The same thing happened with my GameCube a few years ago. There just aren't enough compelling Wii games.[/QUOTE]

You know, when the OP answers his own question in a thread, and then uses it as a platform to poo-poo the Wii, it leads me to believe that he already knew the answer before making this redundant thread.

Although the number of new threads and their movement in this forum may be slow most of the time, do we really need random musings about selling our Wiis every week? Every disgruntled Wii owner really doesn't need his own thread, so we should just have a sticky made especially for you all to commiserate and complain about the Wii together instead of cluttering up the forum.

This is exactly the kind of thread Linkin would have nixed before he got scared off.

???

I didn't go into this intending to bash the Wii. Mainly, I wanted to hear from people who have actually played Guitar Hero III on the Wii because I've heard good and bad things about it. I know what Rock Band will be like. I've played it, and I know which features they're removing, so I just wanted to know if GHIII was possibly any better.

GHIII definitely screwed over Wii gamers less than Rockband. In fact, it seems like they tried pretty hard to get an even experience across all platforms. It's got rumble and sound from the guitar, and sometimes its even on sale ($65 at Amazon at one point).

I don't know if this helps, but I have Rock Band for PS2 (I don't have a Wii, though I'd like one). The game is quite good, though I haven't been able to play the drums yet (my drums are arriving today - I can't wait to get home!) I've only had the game a short time, but so far I really like it. The included tracks are good so far, and seem to all be originals. The sound quality is superb. As far as downloadable content, that's a bummer, but maybe not so much of one. I play a lot of DDR and I've found that the best songs to play are not always the ones you like to listen to the most. If you were to pick and choose your songs based on whether or not you liked to listen to them, you may well miss out on some great stuff to play, stuff you wouldn't have thought to buy. So... in that light, having to buy a pack of songs like they are going to release for the PS2 and Wii isn't really that bad, at least if they are putting good songs (good to play) on the packs, and they keep releasing them. We'll have to see. Myself, I may wait for the add-on pack(s) to drop in price, or to pick up a used copy, though.

Oh, and I like the singing parts. I'm not ready to do that in front of anyone yet :), but when I had the house to myself I played the singing parts for quite a while. It was more difficult than I was expecting, but also more fun.

The guitar playing element of both peripherals are so milked out by now that it's not even funny.

Just get Rock Band and the drum peripheral. GH killed guitar simulation and it's up to Konami to revive it.

I have GHIII for Wii and have played the 360 version of Rock Band. While both have their merits and are variations on the same theme, I much prefer Guitar Hero for the following reasons:
- Rumbling wireless guitar with the built-in speaker
- Song selection
- Drums are hard, singing sucks
- I think multiplayer is actually more fun in GHIII because it is more direct; you are either playing parts of the same song and complementing each other or directly battling. I found the group asthetic of Rock Band to be both necessary and unfulfilling
- Guitar Hero has a robot

I did get my drums, and the drums are indeed difficult, but they are fun. It's the foot pedal that makes it hard. For me, the drums are addicting, though, and I want to get better at it. I think I'll be playing the drums pretty much exclusively, at least for a while. Also I'm looking forward to having friends/family over to play it as a group. So, I'd definitely recommend Rock Band. Mind you - I don't have GHIII. I only have GH1 and Rock's the 80's (PS2, obviously). I guess it all comes down to how interested you are in trying out the drums.

Normally, I would say go with GH3. However, this news of an RB Track Pack disc being released definitely tips the scales. I hadn't heard of this until I read this thread. I have been on the fence for a long time now, being an owner of every PS2 GH title and fan of RB (having played it at friends' houses). I've been considering purchasing RB for the Wii since I already have GH3 for the PS2, but does anyone have an opinion on GH4's impact? Their drumset will have an extra cymbal, and seems to me somewhat likely it will not be compatible with an RB drumset. Now I am really split, considering I'm a bigger fan of GH and would like their fourth installment's drumset over RB's, but am also appeased by RB's solution to the Wii's lack of an HD by releasing a Track Pack. :whistle2:?

bread's done
Back