Price Of Stamps Going Up Again

Malik112099

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Thats right folks...starting Monday they will be 42 cents...the last increase (which was pretty recent if I recall) was all over the place..I couldn't watch tv or surf the net without seeing something about the price increase but this one seems like it flew in under the radar...

http://www.usps.com/prices/welcome.htm

On May 12 the Postal Service will adjust prices for its services. While the most visible change is the 1-cent increase for First-Class Mail® letters, the changes are broader and include prices that could save you real dollars when shipping packages

Why don't they just break down and charge .50? Is that really that big of deal to people? They have no problem putting .50 into a candy bar machine for a .10 pack of gum? Honestly will the other .08 cents really kill ya? If your on that tight of a budget its time to get a second job.

Yeah, I had noticed this since I was doing the stamps.com trial. I honestly thought it had been 42 cents as well. Just when I began to ship quite a lot recently there goes the increase.

I think that is exactly the reason Boo. I mean not a lot of people use snail mail with so many other options available. No one writes letters with e-mails and all. Gas prices rising...not enough people sending stuff, they more than likely need to increase some to be able to pay for those costs.

Maybe they wouldn't if more people were using USPS, but I mean no matter how many items they have to ship they still have to send it the day they get it in. If more people would be sending letters then I guess it would balance each other out.

Well it's like.. newspapers are going up in price too :dunce:
I understand it's probably because MAYBE not as many people buy the newspaper today, compared to 10 years ago.. but still.

We were going through shit and my bf found an old newspaper (he kept it because he was in there for something, lol) and it was back in 1992. The paper was 30 cents. That paper is still around here today.. and it's 75 cents. 75 cents isn't a lot..but still!

To be honest, even if you ship alot of stuff, this is only 1 cent extra. You could ask a bum on the street and he could probably come up with a penny. So really this is isn't a big deal.

Yeah what a rip off. I can't believe it cost a whole 42 cents for somebody in Florida to have somebody come to there door, pick up a letter and take it to somebody else's house in Alaska.

The USPS now indexes the price of some of their stuff to the CPI. I think it is a bad idea to have price increases (even a penny) every year rather then every 2 - 3 years like in the past. Better to raise it 3 cents now for the next 3 years instead. You'll be surprised how angry some people can get whenever the post office raises prices. People online often seem to forget this but there are still large segments of the population who only have the USPS to communicate outside their local communities. Many of the people I work with don't even own a computer, much less know how to email and text.

[quote name='ITDEFX']The price of stamps goes up every 6 months to a year. At this point why bother to report it.[/quote]

They go up one cent a year, and most likely will continue doing that for some time.

I don't think Congress will let the Post Office go to 50 cents in one jump, they made some rules and one is they can't increase it more than once a year.

I remember when they were 27-29 cents.

I'd imagine the price on stamps goes up because the up-and-coming generation is going to move away from paper-based stuff on a decent level. More and more people will choose digital delivery for things like credit card bills.

Meanwhile, the USPS faces competition from DHL, Fedex, and UPS. The more those services get used, the less pure service the USPS can afford to provide.

Feel free to tell me if I'm wrong, as the Intermotrons is wont to do.

[quote name='lilboo']So dumb. Why is this increasing?
I don't use the mail too much, but still.[/QUOTE]

Because USPS gets little to no funding from the government, and thus, need to keep money coming in through stamps, their source of revenue.

First class isn't the only thing going up - Priority (from 4.60 for 1lb to 4.80, I believe) and Express are going up as well.

bread's done
Back