Bicycle for a fat guy

gregthomas77

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
I need to buy a bicycle for a fat guy (me) so maybe he can quit being a fat guy. Does anyone have any suggestions for a bike (preferably one I can buy online) that will support my 310 lbs? I am hoping for something between 3 and 5 hundred dollars.

I did a lot of research on this topic last fall. There's a lot of good bikes out there for us, believe it or not!

One thing to look for is spoke count. The more spokes the sturdier the rims will likely be (my biggest fear of crumbling a rim! lol).

I settled on a Trek 4300. It was $399 at a local Trek store, and you get free tune-ups for the life of the bike. And I also got a warranty, so if anything broke no matter how you rode it, they'd cover the cost. I still have until Oct. 2010 if I break anything. It's like one of the lighter bikes, but the sturdiest, so that wa s a bonus as well.

So far, it's a sturdy bike. Tires don't even deflate at all, and I'm bigger than you. Just make sure you keep a pump handy and keep them fully inflated and you'd be fine!

I hear Konas are good as well.

Good luck, dude.

I think the place to start is figuring out what sort of riding you want to be doing. There are road bikes, mountain bikes, and the in between that are typically known as "comfort bikes". I'd probably recommend the comforts for ya. They're a more upright ride, have things like shocks and more cushy seats, and fall about in that price range. They're not the fastest on the road, not the best on the trail, but they usually can take you anywhere at a bit slower of a speed.

I've been incredibly happy with my Cannondale touring rig, and they offer a comfort bike for $449.99. http://www.rei.com/product/763296 Giant also makes pretty good comforts for $440.00, the Cypress, geared more to road riding, and the Sedona, geared more to trail riding. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/lifestyle/

However, don't just go based on my word. The most important part of a bike is how it fits you. Head to a real bike shop, tell them what you want, and, if they're worth anything they'll give you a couple suggestions and size you up for bikes. They'll adjust the seat and handlebars to where they should be for you, and let you ride it around outside or on an indoor trainer to be sure that it fits you correctly.

Nothing is worse than a bike that doesn't fit properly. It leads to tired legs, arms, and back.

Best of luck looking, and safe riding. Let us know how it works out :)

Do not get an expensive bike if you're just starting out biking. I started biking a couple years ago to lose some weight, and I'm still using the same crappy $200 mongoose (paid too much for it), which I beat the crap out of (leave it outside, etc). Head to you're local target n take a look at some the cheaper schwinns, which you can get for $100-$150. Make sure its an aluminum frame 26" Mens bike and you won't be dissappointed.

I'm getting a Giant bike myself soon. I go camping often, so I didn't look into any of the comfort bikes, but I was able to test ride some mountain bikes at a distributer near me. I've settled on the $330 black Boulder SE, but that doesn't help you out much. I second heading to a brick and mortar to sample their inventory and to find your size. For the bike I'm purchasing, the sizes available are 2XS - XS - S - M - L - XL.

sickbiketrick.jpg

I was looking awhile back and had trouble because all the bikes I found came with front suspension. As soon as I got on the bike the suspension would collapse defeating their purpose and making it impossible to ride comfortably. I'm in the market again so thanks for the leads.

I recently did the same thing. After reading in the Clydesdale forums at bikeforums.net, I went with a Specialized Rockhopper disc, but alot of guys get the hardrock sport or hardrock. Both are decent bikes at decent prices. And also dont listen to the guy who said buy a cheap bike. Cheap bikes arnt made to take the abuse a 300 lb guy puts on the frame and wheels. You will destroy a set of cheap single wall rims the first time you ride. Go to a local bike shop and talk to them. they will show you the options that work best for you.

I myself ride a fuji frame that I converted to fixed gear (I was a bike messenger). I would recommend getting a strong mountain bike frame with some tough forks. A good trek or fuji frame will work well. Anything ranging from 300 to 500 should be fine. Recommendations: get a good helmet and foot straps.

[quote name='uli2000']And also dont listen to the guy who said buy a cheap bike. Cheap bikes arnt made to take the abuse a 300 lb guy puts on the frame and wheels.[/quote]

This man speaks the truth. At my heaviest I was around 240lbs, and I thrashed a $200 cheapo bike I found at Sports Authority just riding it around college. They're not made to last for anyone, let alone bigger guys. Bikes are just like anything else, ya get what ya pay for.

I am a big guy too and have been bike riding for a couple years now. I ride a Trek. I would recommend getting nice tires for the bike because that will make all the difference in the world. Especially if you are a big guy like myself.

Go to your local bike store. Seriously... There are tons of them around(believe it or not). There's no shame in asking them if they have bikes that can support heavier weights. If anything, they'll probably respect you for trying to lose weight.

I suggest getting a Trek bike. Trek bikes are good beginner bikes. I have a Trek 4300 that my parents bought for me(Birthday present) and it's still in great shape. I've had it for 2 years and it rides really well. I need to get a tune up done on it though. There are just 2 gears the bike won't shift too. Should take care of my bike more often XD.

When looking for a bike, I suggest getting one with Aluminum rims and an aluminum frame. Mine is a steel frame and the weight difference and strength difference of both of the frames is enormous. I regret not buying an aluminum frame for $100 more.

$500 though will net you a really nice bike. My next mountain bike is going to set me back over $1000 :).

You could also take a different path. Exercise and eat right for a month or two and you can easily lost 50-100 pounds. Once you lose that weight it'll be a lot easier to ride a bike.

A friend of mine is 5'8 and he weighs 250 pounds. He just turned 18. He is just obese. He's been eating right/exercising daily for the past 3 weeks and he has already lost 40 pounds.

[quote name='muhsheesuh']Why not just run instead of bike? I've done both and found that running is much better for losing weight than biking.[/quote]

This makes sense to me. Also, it's cheaper.

[quote name='muhsheesuh']Why not just run instead of bike? I've done both and found that running is much better for losing weight than biking.[/quote]

Many many reasons. I'm a slim guy and I love biking more than running. Running in circles gets boring as hell. I don't like running off of a track because the concrete being uneven puts a lot of pressure on my joints and ankles. Specifically my left knee and left ankle. If I run day after day, they start to hurt. Biking doesn't make any of my joints hurt.

Get a Sledgehammer! (by Volume) I'm not sure about how much weight it can hold, but it's an awesome bike! I was 255lbs when I got my Sledgehammer and now I'm 200lbs. That was around 2 years ago and I don't know if they make them anymore.

Lot of bs info being given. Highly recommend going to a bike shop. Proper fit is important. Steel vs alluminum? Go with what you prefer. Steel is more forgiving on bumps when you ride and has less vibration. Alluminum has improved as well but to get the same ride it would cost more as most al. bikes that absorb the road better do so with a carbon fiber fork. This ='s $$. If riding is mostly on the road or paths I recommend a flat bar road bike or a comfort bike without suspension. I had a mtn bike with front suspension when I was larger and I hated the way it rode. Test ride them at a bike shop where they will get the best fit. Link provided to an excellent maker of steel framed flat bar bikes. You may be able to find last year's model for less. The link is to the coda sport. There is also a step down to the coda for like 50 less. This bike is about 500 give or take. Last years model would be the best value. Trek, cannondale, fuji, and all the other well known makers would be good choices. It just depends on what you like and meets your needs as well as fit and price. Linky

bread's done
Back