SERO - The formerly best cell phone plan (still good deal if you want a Blackberry).

djkunai

Banned
I just got sick of always seeing people asking about what the best cell phone plan is. Hands down, the best rates you could possibly find is SERO (however, coverage is YMMV).

SERO stands for Sprint Employee Referral Offer. Here's what you get
  • Unlimited Text Messaging
  • Unlimited Nights & Weekends starting at 7pm
  • Domestic long distance
  • Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
  • Unlimited Web/Data Access
  • Unlimited Picture Mail (with compatible devices)
500 anytime minutes for $30 / month

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I'll second this. I've had two SERO plans (one for me, one for my wife) for just over a year now, and it is fantastic. $30/mo for 500 minutes (I only use about 150), unlimited data, unlimited texts...it really just can't be beat. If Sprint would just sell this plan in their retail stores, they would come out from behind and become the #1 mobile phone provider in the states. It's just too good a value to pass up!:applause:

Third. $36.50 per month after taxes. I paid $225 for my phone and got $300 in rebates also (x2 with the wife getting the same deal). Also referred when I signed up then had my wife refer back to me, for $75 more in VISA gift cards. Plus $50 (x2) for each account for signing up online. Unlimited data is amazing for us because we have a beach house that we frequent with no high speed service. We can't work without a connection, so we could never go down there otherwise.

Yea. Helluva deal.

My contract ends in August (uhh, so close, but still a few months away). I will definitely be switching to a Sero plan. Thanks for posting because I am sure some people haven't seen this deal elsewhere. I was going to asks about fees and taxes (obviously varies), but if speedracer posts only 6.50, that is definitely reasonable.

I tried to get SERO so many damn times by calling customer service, but damn it is VERY HARD, they say I cant switch to SERO because Im an existing customer......What can I go? I want to plan really bad, and that savings email, I would google a sprint employee email, cause when I called to get sero they said they no longer except that email as a referal

I've had my sero account for 1 year and a half now and it's been awesome. I'm a network admin so having unlimited data and a phone i can tether is worth $30/mo alone to me.

[quote name='Poor2More']I tried to get SERO so many damn times by calling customer service, but damn it is VERY HARD, they say I cant switch to SERO because Im an existing customer......What can I go? I want to plan really bad, and that savings email, I would google a sprint employee email, cause when I called to get sero they said they no longer except that email as a referal[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, in most cases you can't switch from an existing Sprint plan to SERO. You would have to cancel (and pay the ETF), and then sign up for a new SERO plan.

^that is sad to hear, I guess I will have to wait until Sprint raise data plans rates so I can waive my ETF, or just wait to Jan 09 when my contract ends

I've heard of people being able to switch but it is very tough, usually involves threatening to terminate the contract and sometimes going through with it.

You might want to check SD for their Sero thread as it's pretty extensive

Wow, this is pretty enticing. Is the unlimited texting only a Sprint-to-Sprint thing (a la Verizon's "In" txting) or is it universal? And unlimited web too??? Wow.

This would amount to about half of what I'm paying now with Verizon. I could really use the monthly savings too. I think I got a year left with Verizon, but if this ends up looking good it might be worth the early termination fee. Do ETF's mess with your credit score or anything like that? Because if it really is "just" a fee, it may be worth it.

[quote name='BustaUppa']
- Is the unlimited texting only a Sprint-to-Sprint thing (a la Verizon's "In" txting) or is it universal?

- And unlimited web too??? Wow.

- Do ETF's mess with your credit score or anything like that? Because if it really is "just" a fee, it may be worth it.[/quote]

Universal

Yes :cool:

No, they're just disincentives for walking away

I've been on SERO for a year and will probably switch when my contract's up (another year). I hate Sprint. They have the absolute worst customer service, from two instances.

The first is when they sent me the wrong phone. After jumping through all their ridiculous hopes to get return authorization (which has to be done on the phone with their corprorate office) they gave me the address of the store I had to return it to. It wasn't even the closest store, it was pretty far, but my return authorization specified that store, so I went to it. After getting there I had to wait an hour and a half to talk to somebody. Then they told me that they only return phones purchased from them. They were pretty rude about the whole ordeal, but I finally convinced them to call the Sprint CS number on my authorization, and they begrudgingly accepted the exchange. I switched the Samsung Upstage (crappy phone) for a Motorola Q (crappy phone).

The second is when the Q broke. It was very obviously a software issue -- it would begin to boot, and then on the Sprint screen, flicker and reboot itself. I went to a Sprint corporate-owned Store (sort of far), again waited for about an hour before talking to anybody, then in about 20 seconds was told that I have to go through Motorola. I argued for a while, explaining that it was a software problem and that Motorola doesn't do the software. They argued for a while, and eventually, after he told me to leave and I refused, threatened to call the cops. When I got home and called Motorola, they told me to call Sprint. After an hour or so of arguing on the phone, they gave me the email of someone else at Sprint. I emailed them, explaining everything, and they authorized repair at the Sprint store that had kicked me out two days prior.

Outside of insurance companies, I don't think I've ever been so frustrated with a service I've paid for. It's cheap, sure, but not worth it.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Wow, this is pretty enticing. Is the unlimited texting only a Sprint-to-Sprint thing (a la Verizon's "In" txting) or is it universal? And unlimited web too??? Wow.[/QUOTE]

The unlimited text is to anyone on any network, and the unlimited data includes web surfing.

I just signed up and got the moto q. I got the 1250 plan with insurance for $56.99 a month. Other places wanted well over $100 bucks. I am pumped, does this include their tv services as well?

Let me get this straight, I can text and send pictures/videos. Surf the web and use their Sprint TV service like the NFL updates and such and never get charged more than the $56.99 a month plus taxes?

my parents are looking to switch their phones from crappy nextel.

do you know if its possible to move your phone number and still sign up for a SERO plan?

Would this work with an unlocked iPhone? $30 for unlimited data, minimal minutes (I don't use many) and Skype functionality at WiFi (doubt it would work over the data plan) would be epic.

[quote name='Drnick']my parents are looking to switch their phones from crappy nextel.

do you know if its possible to move your phone number and still sign up for a SERO plan?[/quote]

Yes it asks you at the end of checkout, I was able to switch mine.

Damn, that is an awesome for a cell phone plan. Can't wait until my contract expires in august. I should get the rest of my family on this cause a few of them have already had their contracts expire.

[quote name='Irukandji']"Email address not recognized. Please check the spelling of the email address you entered."[/quote]

Type out the address yourself.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Would this work with an unlocked iPhone? $30 for unlimited data, minimal minutes (I don't use many) and Skype functionality at WiFi (doubt it would work over the data plan) would be epic.[/QUOTE]

iPhone uses the GSM standard. Sprint phones operate on the CDMA standard. Therefore it would not work.

My girlfriend and I are both on SERO. I would recommend against using the e-mail address provided in the OP. We used that when we signed her up, and they did NOT sign her up for a SERO plan, but for some 200 minute plan that lacked many SERO features. It took a very long time, and many phone calls, to get this fixed. When I signed up, I just googled around using sprint.com and sprintemi.com to find employee e-mail addresses to use. Had no problem that way.

[quote name='-GoodFella-']iPhone uses the GSM standard. Sprint phones operate on the CDMA standard. Therefore it would not work.[/quote]

Not that it is in relation to anything but the Iphone stinks. I hate touch screen phones. Not to mention Apples products batteries are questionable.

Despite my venting does anyone know if the Sprint TV like NFL Mobile is included in the Sero plan or is that extra?

[quote name='prmononoke']I have had this for over a year, and I did not get free text messaging. I will need to call and rectify that.[/quote]

Do you get the Sprint TV for free? I want NFL Mobile.

I've been waiting to hear back on a job for next year before I get a new phone/contract, but if possible, definitely going with SERO. I've been on Sprint for the last 6 years without any problems.

That Blackberry Pearl 8130 looks hot...

ive been on the sero plan for a little under a year now, the only complaint i have is the customer service sucked when porting my wife and my old number over and the initial set up with the phones.
But, when we signed up you were able to talk your way into 500 free txt's a month too but i think they stopped doing that.

i am paying just over $60 for both lines, and moderately content :)

[quote name='chimpian']ive been on the sero plan for a little under a year now, the only complaint i have is the customer service sucked when porting my wife and my old number over and the initial set up with the phones.
But, when we signed up you were able to talk your way into 500 free txt's a month too but i think they stopped doing that.

i am paying just over $60 for both lines, and moderately content :)[/quote]

They stopped it because they offer unlimited texting for free.

i just got sero w/ a 755p (thanks to Verizons greedy 7cent fee increase was able to get out almost 1.5 years early of my contract w/ no ETF!!) loving it so far. Seems like I finally have what a cell phone should be like, and best of all its so damn cheap!!

[quote name='spinksjinx']Do you get the Sprint TV for free? I want NFL Mobile.[/quote]

the nfl channel is free.

also anyone that has a palmOS phone, have they tried the iphone imitatior.. looks really nice

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2rxk802&s=3

and those that have sprint now, usually can't get sero. So what people are doing is porting their numbers to a gophone are pay as you go phone, and then porting them back to sero.

[quote name='homeland']i just got sero w/ a 755p (thanks to Verizons greedy 7cent fee increase was able to get out almost 1.5 years early of my contract w/ no ETF!!) loving it so far. Seems like I finally have what a cell phone should be like, and best of all its so damn cheap!!

the nfl channel is free.

also anyone that has a palmOS phone, have they tried the iphone imitatior.. looks really nice

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2rxk802&s=3

and those that have sprint now, usually can't get sero. So what people are doing is porting their numbers to a gophone are pay as you go phone, and then porting them back to sero.[/quote]

Damn it I went with the Moto Q not the 9c version and I just read it isn't compatible with Sprint TV. I can however get mobiTV which would run me an additional 10 bucks. But who cares, all I wanted was my NFL Network. I wonder if there is a software download that would perhaps bring the phone up to date?

[quote name='homeland']i just got sero w/ a 755p (thanks to Verizons greedy 7cent fee increase was able to get out almost 1.5 years early of my contract w/ no ETF!!) loving it so far. Seems like I finally have what a cell phone should be like, and best of all its so damn cheap!![/QUOTE]Wow, so if you find a loophole like that you can get out of the early termination fee? I got on the "America's Choice II" plan in July '07. 450 anytime minutes and the extra $10 for 500 txts. Anyone aware of any loopholes to get out of this one? I'd be looking at a $175 termination fee otherwise (the contract would end July 2009 for me).

Can anyone recommend a sprint phone that they are using (and like :))

This is tempting. Couldn't be worse than my Verizon service in my home. One bar in my room, which is where i want to be able to make calls, obviously. Of course, I get five bars on remote interstates.

Science.

My plan ends next month... so I might have to jump on this. I am currently paying $65/mo for a similar amount of minutes. Only thing that sucks, most all my friends use Verizon but I don't think I touch anywhere near 500 min/month anyway.

i just got the palm 755p which is basically the palm centro, but bigger so eats easier to type. Liking it so far, though I know alot of people like the mogul or touch. Mogul is just to big for me and typing on a touch screen doesn't appeal to me at all

Anyone have some advice for getting out of a cellphone contract?

I would love to dump my Verizon service for this but I'm locked in for another 11 months.

Hmm my current Sprint contract ends on August 25th of this year. Looks like a good plan to switch to. More minutes, free texts, free data, and $15 less per month? Epic!

[quote name='spinksjinx']Damn it I went with the Moto Q not the 9c version and I just read it isn't compatible with Sprint TV. I can however get mobiTV which would run me an additional 10 bucks. But who cares, all I wanted was my NFL Network. I wonder if there is a software download that would perhaps bring the phone up to date?[/quote]

I highly suggest anyone who wants a Moto Q to go with the q9c (one of the best phones depending on what you want, along with the Mogul and Touch).

Moto Q uses WM5 which is slower and has less features. Moto q9c has the upgraded WM6 which is leaps and bounds ahead of the the Q. There's a reason the Moto Q is only $50. WM6 is on all the new phones and is basically the best and most versatile phone OS for the phones they offer. There's really nothing you can do to get it up to date, it's like Windows 2000 vs Windows XP. It's just a new OS with improvements.

You get a 30 day trial period and can switch to a different phone if you don't like it. If you haven't had it for 30 days yet I suggest you pay the extra $100 and just trade it in.

I'd so go for this if I get something like the Sprint Instinct. My contract doesn't end til Dec but I'm still unsure if I'll stick around or head back to Verizon.

Can I get this plan now or does it extend my contract? Thanks.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I'd so go for this if I get something like the Sprint Instinct. My contract doesn't end til Dec but I'm still unsure if I'll stick around or head back to Verizon.

Can I get this plan now or does it extend my contract? Thanks.[/quote]

It's a plan for new customers or new lines, so you can't extend it on your current contract.

There have been rare cases where you can port your number from Sprint to SERO by threatening to cancel, etc. but its a big YMMV. I couldn't get it to work and wanted to keep my number, so I ported it to an AT&T gophone for a month and then ported back.

This is very interesting. I would consider it if 90% of the people I talk to didn't have Verizon. I'm pretty much set with the free minutes and texts between other Verizon people. Also part of the reason why I didn't buy an iPhone yet.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Ahh... darn. I guess I could try the threatening thing, Sprint needs as much customers as they can keep. lol[/quote]

if your on sprint now, you could port you number to a trackphone or a gophone (pay as you go phones) and then switch to Sero. People have said they'd done this before and seems like it would work in theory.

But I'd have to wait til my current contract is up right? What happens if The SERO thing doesn't work out after that? Main thing is I don't want to lose my number. Thanks for the help.

I think I've got a pretty good deal with AT&T, but this SERO appears to beat even that.
What's the difference between Moto Q and Moto Q9c (other than a hundred bucks)?
Looks like SprintTV, which is, what exactly?

Is "Blackberry" just a brand name, and other phones (such as the MotoQ) offer the same functionality? Lots of folks at work have blackberries that work with their work email (MS Exchange server), I'm not sure if it's possible to use a nonblackberry to do the same thing (or if IT would allow a "nonsupported" device to do it anyway).

[quote name='Strife025']I highly suggest anyone who wants a Moto Q to go with the q9c (one of the best phones depending on what you want, along with the Mogul and Touch).

Moto Q uses WM5 which is slower and has less features. Moto q9c has the upgraded WM6 which is leaps and bounds ahead of the the Q. There's a reason the Moto Q is only $50. WM6 is on all the new phones and is basically the best and most versatile phone OS for the phones they offer. There's really nothing you can do to get it up to date, it's like Windows 2000 vs Windows XP. It's just a new OS with improvements.

You get a 30 day trial period and can switch to a different phone if you don't like it. If you haven't had it for 30 days yet I suggest you pay the extra $100 and just trade it in.[/quote]

It's just hard to justify spending over 100 bucks on a phone. I mean granted I want the perks just as anyone else but I am a cheap ass.

I got the insurance, is it possible to keep the phone for say 3 months and just say its broken and get a new one?

There has to be a way to upgrade OS on a phone, I am sure right?

[quote name='Drnick']my parents are looking to switch their phones from crappy nextel.

do you know if its possible to move your phone number and still sign up for a SERO plan?[/quote]

Doesn't Sprint own Nextel?

bread's done
Back