- - - - -

MGS4 Limited Edition Gun Metal Playstation 3 bundle - rarity (and more) confirmed!

#1531 weevles   No. CAGiversary!   17510 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:49 AM

Satin Silver one:

Posted Image

#1532 iNCREDiPiNOY   This guy is awesome! CAGiversary!   9057 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

iNCREDiPiNOY

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:56 AM

22 as of 10:55 PM PST.

Edit 1: 21 as of 11:16 PM PST.

Edit 2: 19 as of 11:52 PM PST.

#1533 mberkes   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   108 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:58 AM

Hey MarkMan, aside from the white PS3 being Japanese and therefore starting up under Japanese script, there's nothing stopping a Canadian/American from buying one and just switching the text to English, is there? My friend is planning on getting a PS3 soon, and if the white one is just as good as an American black PS3, I'm going to suggest he order a white one online

#1534 eliter1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2935 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:03 AM

Hey MarkMan, aside from the white PS3 being Japanese and therefore starting up under Japanese script, there's nothing stopping a Canadian/American from buying one and just switching the text to English, is there? My friend is planning on getting a PS3 soon, and if the white one is just as good as an American black PS3, I'm going to suggest he order a white one online

The only difference is that Japan PS3's don't play US DVD's, only blue rays. And for backwards compatible PS3's only Japan PS2 games play on it.

#1535 pellucidity   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   113 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

pellucidity

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:23 AM

The only difference is that Japan PS3's don't play US DVD's, only blue rays. And for backwards compatible PS3's only Japan PS2 games play on it.

Just like the 360, the PS3 has optional regional lock for games; it's just it hasn't been used yet and hopefully never will. But it's worth remembering that for a big title, there are some publishers Sony couldn't say no to.

#1536 lpj8   Backlogged CAGiversary!   343 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:58 AM

There's 18 left now. I wonder if they'll put more up for sale once they process any cancellations?

BTW, that white PS3 looks awesome.

#1537 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   19859 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:58 AM

and censoring in games. Even if you are playing the USA version of Resistance or Ninja Gaiden on a Japanese PS3 you are playing the censored version due to the hardware.

#1538 MarkMan   CAG TEKKEN MASTER CAGiversary!   8622 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:08 AM

Yes, a Japanese PS3 will censor certain games regardless of what region they are. As already mentioned by 62t.

Also the confirm/cancel buttons are the traditional Japanese layout and can not be changed. O = confirm & X = cancel.

In regards to DVD playback, it only can play region 2 and region 0 DVDs. For Blu-Ray it can play region free Blu-Rays and region 1. It can play only Japanese PS1 games as well for BC. None of the white PS3s have PS2 BC.

#1539 eliter1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2935 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:42 AM

and censoring in games. Even if you are playing the USA version of Resistance or Ninja Gaiden on a Japanese PS3 you are playing the censored version due to the hardware.

Wow, didn't know that, I was going to import a white PS3 but I probably wont since I don't want to play censored games.

#1540 shibaji   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   88 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:23 AM

I can see that play asia is offering the preorders for MGS4 "Welcome" bundles in ceramic white and satin silver. Looks cool. Based on the press release link below, these are offered for limited time too.

Link for bundles:
Ceramic White : http://www.play-asia...-j-70-2qn7.html
Satin Silver: http://www.play-asia...-j-70-2qn8.html

Press release: http://www.scei.co.j...e/080502be.html

#1541 iNCREDiPiNOY   This guy is awesome! CAGiversary!   9057 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

iNCREDiPiNOY

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:43 AM

13 as of 1:43 AM PST.

Edit: 12 as of 1:57 AM PST.

#1542 no_exit   Custom User Title CAGiversary!   1028 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:45 PM

Down to 8 remaining...

#1543 Bazz  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:55 PM

The white one is awesome looking.

#1544 HockeyDOg3133   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   108 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

HockeyDOg3133

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:55 PM

#1545 jimflox   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   52 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:58 PM

Three left ladies and gents.

Off topic - GTAIV is rather long...great game.

Now one left, as the below poster indicated.

#1546 bollweevil   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   2 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

bollweevil

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:02 PM

#1547 lpj8   Backlogged CAGiversary!   343 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:10 PM

OOS for now, but more to come tomorrow.

Currently, we have reached the number of allocated stock for pre-orders today. Please check our news page on Tuesday, May 27, 2008, when we will announce more stock available for pre-orders.

#1548 iNCREDiPiNOY   This guy is awesome! CAGiversary!   9057 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

iNCREDiPiNOY

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:16 PM

1 as of 8:16 AM PST.

#1549 pellucidity   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   113 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

pellucidity

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

Wow, didn't know that, I was going to import a white PS3 but I probably wont since I don't want to play censored games.

It might be worth it, I think Vib Ribbon works on a JP PS3

#1550 prateeko   IN THE BUTT! CAGiversary!   2766 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:11 PM

OOS for now, but more to come tomorrow.

Currently, we have reached the number of allocated stock for pre-orders today. Please check our news page on Tuesday, May 27, 2008, when we will announce more stock available for pre-orders.

I see no such sign. And if I see more bundles on Tuesday then I will cancel my pre-order. No point in paying more if it's not really limited...

#1551 Bazz  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:17 PM

I see no such sign. And if I see more bundles on Tuesday then I will cancel my pre-order. No point in paying more if it's not really limited...

I see the sign and if more get released then this really isn't that limted and just a waste of money. The Zelda ds is more limted then this.

#1552 Kfoster1979   Fanboys Suck CAGiversary!   1338 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Kfoster1979

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:23 PM

I see the sign and if more get released then this really isn't that limted and just a waste of money. The Zelda ds is more limted then this.

Thing is the Zelda DS was everywhere in large amounts and people still paid a premium for them after Christmas. Hell I paid an extra 10 for one from Amazon not even a scalper back in January.

#1553 qwerty1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   699 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:03 PM

again 10,000 is hearsay and based off the false assumption that the CS person from Konami was talking about sold units when that was not specified. What makes that seem even more unlikely is if it was 10,000 they would of just said, "10,000" instead of leaving it up to the person to assume with what ever form of bastard math they see fit. In this case someone saw "PS3 units in the US" and automatically assumed that was a sold number. If its total units, or total stock units, the numbers could be easily 50,000 or more between the two regions.

#1554 lpj8   Backlogged CAGiversary!   343 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:08 PM

really, what do you consider "limited"

10,000 (which has been attributed many times here) is VERY limited for anything produced.

Under 10,000 is even more rare.

Have you considered these possibilities as to why there are still many left:

1) fraud - I work in online retail, and you wouldn't believe how many orders are actually fraud cases. People who use STOLEN credit card numbers try to buy numerous items and expensive items. Something like this would bring out all the fraudsters out of the woodwork, because they think they can "resell" it for money. Could be that those orders that turn out to be fraud, are being canceled and not processed, and the units that were for those orders are being released back into stock. Also, you wouldn't believe how many orders were of kids taking their parents Credit card numbers and ordering the items, and then have the parent call a day later, YELLING and screaming as to why we allowed their 12 year old kid to purchase something through our store and demanding the order be canceled.

Just to support - when I purchased an Xbox 360 online, but wanted it sent to my parent's address instead of my own, the retail store had a CSR call me, to confirm my order and the shipping and billing address (obviously different) so they could process the order. I confirmed my information and the unit was delivered without problem.

2) they aren't releasing the amount of units you believe they are selling per day - Looking at the numbers over the last couple of days, and the rate they were selling over the weekend, I doubt they were doing the "1000 per day" as everyone was guessing. And how quickly they sold out on pre-orders over the last 7 days, makes me believe that they were only selling 300 - 500 per day. Which also supports the CS Reps comments that the units will be sold through the following week (est 10,000 / 500 per day = about 20 days to sell out)

4) Canceled orders - as stated above; fraud orders; kids who obtain their parents CC to order, etc.

5) Hit the Ebay sellers where they hurt their profits - to stop ebay sellers from conning people into buying from them, when they are still being sold at Konami.com

seriously, all this talk of cancellation, only shows that those who are canceling are believing rumors over facts.

What facts should we believe? You posted several hypotheses based upon the information that we all have, but none of those hypotheses have been verified as facts. They are merely your opinions, which I respect.

Here are some of the facts that I know:

FACT: It took a long time for all allotted preorders to dry up over the weekend.
FACT: Konami says it will be available again via Konami.com.
FACT: We have no idea how many of these are made.
FACT: Konami states that it is limited. 10K is really just an educated guess.

#1555 pellucidity   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   113 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

pellucidity

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:13 PM

Thing is the Zelda DS was everywhere in large amounts and people still paid a premium for them after Christmas. Hell I paid an extra 10 for one from Amazon not even a scalper back in January.

I paid through the nose for the rose DS for my mum at Christmas. Refused to pay a scalper, rather give the money to playasia. But as soon as these sell out for good we'll see prices spike.

#1556 iGen   CAGiversary!   300 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:40 PM

Wow, this is garbage.

Canceling.

#1557 iGen   CAGiversary!   300 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:18 PM

Nice analysis, but I'm still canceling.

Personally, I don't feel I have much need to make $600 bets.

#1558 lpj8   Backlogged CAGiversary!   343 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:29 PM

Memorial Day weekend, when 60% of the public are traveling the country attending family get tog ethers, visiting loved ones and rather shop at Brick and mortar stores than shop online.

And seeing that Konami.com isn't really known to be a shopping site, many would shop online at KNOWN retail outlets like Amazon.com or similar. Many people may not even know its available through Konami.com .

which isn't surprising since its been available there for the week and based on my guess of 10,000 at 500 per day, we have at most 15 more days.

so 1/10 th of 1% of US playstation 3's isn't a good indication as to how many? is your math that bad?

as supported by the FACTS. You know, where 1/10th of 1% of US playstation 3 is indicated.

Sorry, but why do you ignore what a CSR just stated to a person who asked?

Lets not start the insults, I said I respected your opinion. My math is fine thanks.

CSR rarely have inside info on this type of stuff. Other CSRs have flat out denied the 1/10th of 1% statement. You can look back on this thread and find it. Why not give an exact number? I'm not saying it's not 10K, but some phone CSR giving fuzzy mathematical equations that require me to think about order of operations is not my idea of a definitive number.

Even if it was 10K, thats a lot of systems for a small core group of people who have $600 to spend on a collector's item videogame system.

Limited Edition can mean anything really. It could be "Limited" to whatever number they want to come up with.

This stuff was posted on Kotaku (several times), Joystiq, Slickdeals, and CAG among other sites. While this isn't as big as some venues, it's still a lot of press. The first day this went live, it was nuts. The servers were murdered so I think lots of people know about it.

Anyways, sales seemed to be sputtering this weekend, but by June 12th, who knows how much this thing will be worth.

#1559 OGHowie   Old Ass Gamer CAGiversary!   2004 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:44 PM

And how quickly they sold out on pre-orders over the last 7 days, makes me believe that they were only selling 300 - 500 per day. Which also supports the CS Reps comments that the units will be sold through the following week (est 10,000 / 500 per day = about 20 days to sell out)

Don't ask me how I know, but those numbers are pretty close to what was actually released for sale.

#1560 Inf^Shini   is Han Cholo CAGiversary!   6741 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:56 PM

I'm actually surprised you guys are getting annoyed over whether or not this is really THAT limited.

You buy it if you like it, don't buy it if you don't. You buy to flip it, that's your own problem.

I would've picked it up, but I can't afford to :/