eBay Story

b3b0p

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
Everyone disses eBay, but I Just love that place :)

Here is my eBay Gloat.

I had a virtual boy I snagged at Toys R' Us way back when for ~$20 when they went on clearance shortly after they came out. I got it home, tried it, and put it back in its box, with the receipt with all the baggies, manuals, and everything it came with. I thought it sucked.

Flash forward to 2003. I find it in my closet way at the top as I was doing some spring cleaning. It was in mint like new condition. Everything was still wrapped in plastic, box was just like new (with dust of course), and the receipt was still there. My first thought when I saw this: eBay!

I put it on eBay. It sold for ~$50. I contacted the buyer many times. No response. So, I put it back on. Sold for ~$50 again. Again, the blasted buyer did not respond. So, I put it on a 3rd bloody time! It sold for a whopping $155! And the guy paid! Mwahahaha!

I love telling that story :^)

Anyone else have a cool eBay story? Mine was selling, but I believe it deserves some bragging rights. Anyone buy anything at an amazing price and actually receive something other than dirt or nothing at all? Would love to hear it.

Cheers!
Chris

I like ebay too, well mone story isnt a selling one but a buying one, i bought some rims for my car(17's) that cost 900.00 at stores and i got them on ebay for 400.00 including shipping. Did i also mention that they were not used but BRAND NEW!!! Ebay rules, unless u get ripped off then ebay sux lol......

If we're going to eBay brag, my biggest "win" was finding a 1st american print box set of Lord of the Rings the year before the movies came out... got it at a church sale for $6; sold it for $420!!

[quote name='gorgo']If we're going to eBay brag, my biggest "win" was finding a 1st american print box set of Lord of the Rings the year before the movies came out... got it at a church sale for $6; sold it for $420!![/quote]

Amazing!

[quote name='gorgo']If we're going to eBay brag, my biggest "win" was finding a 1st american print box set of Lord of the Rings the year before the movies came out... got it at a church sale for $6; sold it for $420!![/quote]

That's awsome!

my best ebay story was buying a used Clie (sony PDA), using it for 6 months, then ebaying it for 20 more than i paid for it.

and now i come to think about it, i have a virtual boy around here... no box or bags.. i wonder how much i could get for it?

mines not as good as thse, but i was in the market for a surround sound system. i check ebay and i end up with a $450 speaker set for 175 shipped, and a $600 reciever for 325 shipped. the reciever was brand new, and the speakers were refurb, but sold by the original manufacturer. over $1000 of electronic equipment, for a measly 500. now if i can just find a deal for the windows i blew out with that thing :lol:

I bought the import PS2 game "Love Smash Tennis" from Buy-Rite (fucking horrible company, don't ever use them!) for $30.00. They were advertising it as Dead Or Alive Tennis, even though it wasn't manufactured by Tecmo. (False advertising, anyone???)

Anyway, the game looked like a port of a PSX game, horrible graphics and control. It sold on eBay for $170.00 and the buyer paid me via Paypal immediately.

I kind of felt bad taking his money...but then I got over it! :)

Not off of eBay, but a few years ago I traded 2 or 3 PS2 games for Dragonball GT: Final Bout (PSX). Less than 2 months later, someone offered me $300 for it.

On eBay I bought two 60 dollar laser pointers for 7 dollars.

I bought Guitar Freaks for Playstation with the Official Konami Guitar Controller for $49.99 (the guitar goes for around $100-$120 and the game goes for $30-$60)

Keyboard Mania with the official Keyboard Mania controller for PS2 for $75 (sells for $140)

Para Para Paradise with the Para Para Paradise controller for PS2 for $55 (sells for $140 - $170)

My biggest deal with selling was when I had purchased Robocop for Xbox at EB for $4.99 planning to keep the game for myself. I went to Gamerankings and saw it had a 22% average so decided to sell it rather than return it to EB since I didn't want the game anymore. I started the bidding at $9.99 and it ended up at $31.

I just picked up a replacement 15 hour battery for my Sony Camcorder. Retail price $150. eBay price: $42.95! :D And it works like a charm!

EDIT: Oh, and it's not a cheap knockoff. Official Sony product baby!

I sell on ebay all the time. I by toys from walmart take them home and sell them on ebay for double the price! 5 dolar toys sell for 50+ on ebay! I love ebay!

Bought new FFX at EB for $12.50 (retail $20)
Played it.
Hated it.
Put used FFX on eBay for $6.49.
Bidders fought until one of them sniped at the end of the auction for $22.50.

And I sold a crappy promo Animal Crossing card from an old Nintendo Power for $15.50.
Bidding started at $4.50, and again the auction was sniped at the end for a ridiculus price.

That free shipping works like a charm. Nobody can resist.

I love Ebay, I sell and buy there all the time. Best thing I sold on Ebay was a Yu Gi Oh card for $90, the card I got it from some kid that just gave it to me. Yu Gi Oh was crazy and had all the hype before ( Still does I think ). So I end up getting $90 for a card that I didn't even bought.
Or the day that I sold Metal Gear Solid (PS1) for $300. This copy was sealed, it was non greatest hits and had the strategy guide new as well. You gotta love Ebay for that, so many dumb plp in it.

[quote name='master_evil']I love Ebay, I sell and buy there all the time. Best thing I sold on Ebay was a Yu Gi Oh card for $90, the card I got it from some kid that just gave it to me. Yu Gi Oh was crazy and had all the hype before ( Still does I think ). So I end up getting $90 for a card that I didn't even bought.
Or the day that I sold Metal Gear Solid (PS1) for $300. This copy was sealed, it was non greatest hits and had the strategy guide new as well. You gotta love Ebay for that, so many dumb plp in it.[/quote]

Lol, the irony of your post. :roll:

My dad owned a baseball card shop for around 20 years here in Austin, across from Lanier H.S. for those curious fellow Austin CAGs, but it went south about 7 years ago when I, who was 12 at the time, accidentally discovered that the manager and lone employee of the store, was stealing right under my dad's nose. So, the store went belly-up, but luckily this all happened around the time a little site called eBay started becoming popular. So, my dad sells cards on there.

Now the best sell my Dad ever had was selling 3 Harmon Killebrew broders, if you don't know who/what Killebrew and/or broders are they're generic looking cards of an old Twins player. My dad would have originally sold these cards in his shop for probably a buck a piece. Well wouldn't you know it, a bidding war took place between 2 guys who hadn't ever seen the cards. The 3 Killebrew cards ended up fetching $175,$160,$150 for a grand total of....$485. It's pretty cool when you can turn $3 into $485.

Oh and I tie into this because doing eBay for my dad was one of my first jobs. And I was ecstatic because I was getting paid by commission.

[quote name='scuba']Ebay is good to sell things on, not buy :)[/quote]

Generally that's true but if you find a seller who has a low buy it now on item and doesn't know the true value of an item you can get some steals.

Just yesterday a seller had a bundle of 3 games for sale with a BIN of $25 when total they retail for $140 new (imports). Needless to say I got a great deal.

Ebay is good to find things you are looking for. If you're looking for Super Dodgeball for the Nintendo and you don't live in a big city, where else are you going to get it?

If you're looking for someone to give you a deal, Ebay is a difficult place. But that's because it's the beautiful free market the way it should be. Prices are truly set by the market, and supply and demand are the prevailing forces. If you are a seller, Ebay is only good if you have something of actual value to sell. If you are a buyer, Ebay is only good if you are actually willing to pay what something is worth.

A few things, looked in the Eb Games Bargin Bin found a Mint Raiden Project for $1.99 bought it fetched $51 on ebay for it.

Another was I bought Lunar 2 Complete for $24(night time auctions are best to snipe) and resold it the very next day for $51.

One other thing was I got 8 NES systems for $100 shipped with 5 Advantage controllers and sold it all for $200 after all the fees involved.

got many good ebay stories
heres a recent bad one for me
bought mint sealed original vagrant story for 26.99
checked on ebay how much one like this went for
someone sold theirs days before for $59
so i put it on
mine sold for 26.00
Frickin loss that i cant calculate yet cause dont know if he will pay with paypal and they get their cut
what the hell
should have traded someone on here

^^
Like someone said, supply and demand. You gotta see how many others are listed and if people are even bidding. The more on there, the less everyone's will go for. The less that are listed, the more everyone's will sell for. And then again, you have to have a product that people want.

It's also the right place at the right time. One week, 20 people will be fighting over 5 copies listed, while the next week, maybe one person will be bidding out of the 20 listed. You just never know.

I sold off some of my manga collection a few months ago, and the first time I listed, someone bought just one of the volumes. I relisted, and one person bought the rest of them! Again, you never know.

[quote name='cag1000']
mine sold for 26.00
Frickin loss that i cant calculate yet cause dont know if he will pay with paypal and they get their cut
[/quote]

On items like that where the value/demand can change a lot, it's a good idea to start the bidding at the lowest price you would be willing to sell it for or put a reserve on it.

When I sell on EBay, I always start the bidding at least $2 more than what I paid for the item so that way if I only get 1 bid (most of my auctions end in buy it now's) I didn't lose any money.

I bought Harvest Moon (Nintendo 64) for $35 and sold it for $70. That's probably my best selling deal so far.

I always start the bidding at $0.99 to get a lot of people bidding and interested. If it's not going for what I like, I'll have a friend bid the minimum I'll let it go for just in case. :roll:

[quote name='Troopa'] I always start the bidding at $0.99 to get a lot of people bidding and interested. If it's not going for what I like, I'll have a friend bid the minimum I'll let it go for just in case. :roll:[/quote]

Sir we call that bid "SHILLING" and is against ebay rules and just plain wrong.

Like suggested above if you don't want to take the chance on not getting the lowest you would take then start it with a reserve or at the lowest price you'd take.

Well listen here.

1. I normally don't do it anyway.
2. What's even the point of reserves? If you won't let it go for a certain amount, why not just start it at that amount instead of paying eBay the reserve fee?
3. It's not plain wrong. It's still up to tbe eBay user to decide whether or not they will bid higher than the highest bid. It's not like I'm stealing.

[quote name='Troopa']Well listen here.

1. I normally don't do it anyway.
2. What's even the point of reserves? If you won't let it go for a certain amount, why not just start it at that amount instead of paying eBay the reserve fee?
3. It's not plain wrong. It's still up to tbe eBay user to decide whether or not they will bid higher than the highest bid. It's not like I'm stealing.[/quote]

So why not just follow #2 of your own advise.

So what your saying is that when Enron falsified documents to raise stock prices , so that the big wigs could then sell their stock and that was'nt wrong? Yeah ok chief.

Same thing you are using an additional account to falsely a bid to up the price of your item.

[quote name='JibbaJabba']So why not just follow #2 of your own advise.[/quote]
Starting the bid low gets more people more interested, and because of this I usually never have to do that. Out of all the items I've sold I have only done it once with a pair of shoes that my sister told me she wanted but someone had already bidded on.

So what your saying is that when Enron falsified documents to raise stock prices.
Did I say that? I don't remember saying that. Don't put words in my mouth. Stocks and items on eBay are totally different things. Let's use good examples next time.

eBay is incredible to buy and sell stuff!! Before I make a bid on anything, I always go to shopping sites and CAG to see if any store is selling it on clearance or something....My best eBay story just happened, I sold a 5 year old calculator for 52 dollars!!

[quote name='Troopa'][quote name='JibbaJabba']So why not just follow #2 of your own advise.[/quote]
Starting the bid low gets more people more interested, and because of this I usually never have to do that. Out of all the items I've sold I have only done it once with a pair of shoes that my sister told me she wanted but someone had already bidded on.

So what your saying is that when Enron falsified documents to raise stock prices.
Did I say that? I don't remember saying that. Don't put words in my mouth. Stocks and items on eBay are totally different things. Let's use good examples next time.[/quote]

Yes stocks and ebay items are two different things but it seems you missed the whole point.
Maybe I need to DEFINE the example for you.

Enron FORGES documents to show they are making money, in return it DRIVES the prices of stock up. So the higher up people then dump their stocks and make money, while shafting the buyers who puchased that stock.

You your item is'nt getting the amount you want, so you have a FRIEND(who has no intensions of accually buying the item) FALSELY bid the price of the auction up, in turn you make more money, screwing the buyer (who thinks they are bidding against another legitament buyer) because you did'nt want the item to go cheap.

My comparrison was the underhanded tactics used to raise the price of the item, not a coparrison of ebay items and stocks.

So lets use good comprehension skills next time CHIEF.

My best buying story would be picking up a Super Baseball 2020 Neo Geo cart for $11 shipped.
And a sealed Samurai Showdown 2 cart for $40.

Best selling story would be selling Ghost Recon (Xbox) for $35 2 weeks before it became a platinum hit.

Good times.

I saw a copy of Bust a Groove listed on ebay for $5, I contacted the seller and he sold it to me for $10 shipped. When I got it I sold it for $60.

[quote name='ilovemyapplesduh']Must this be in this thread? I mean come on guys this is about the best deals not what is morally right or wrong.[/quote]

I was stating facts that ebay TOS does'nt allow this activity and gave an example, had nothing to do with marals.
This is my last comment on this off topic item.

Now back to the deals.

[quote name='scuba']Ebay is good to sell things on, not buy :)[/quote]

And why would u say that? You can get games for less than retail.. And many items are pretty cheap.. i.e. Harvest Moon FOMT recently released.. 30$ gba game.. for 15 shipped..

I don't mean to be off-topic, but it is about eBay. And like you, I am tired of talking about it, so this will be my last post on the topic, whether or not you reply. We both have better things to do. :D

Again, it is completely different from stocks. Stocks are an investment, and the way it all works is much different. You buy a stock low hoping to sell it for higher. Companies that go public shouldn't do that for obvious reasons. People buy a stock for $20 thinking it's worth $20 - if it's really not worth anything and the company knows it that is highly illegal.

With eBay, if someone bids $20, and I have my friend bid $30, then my friend is winning the auction. If someone sees he is winning and wants to bid $31, that is their choice. I'm not stealing or selling something false. I take the chance of not selling the item by having my friend bid, because someone might not outbid him. They (eBay users) decide what the value of the game is for them (unlike stocks where many things determine the value which are out of their control).

I do agree that it's not a very nice thing to do, but it's not really wrong either. When bidding on eBay, you should not bid more than you are willing to pay. It's that simple. And like I've said, I virtually never do it. I would only do it in an emergency. I could just as easily cancel all bids.

With eBay, the bidder is always in control. He decides what the item is worth to himself. If I drive the price up, he can choose not to bid. The user creates his own truth. I can't screw people (and I wouldn't want to) the same way that people can be screwed with stocks. All I can do is ask for more money, but they still have to agree to pay it. And again I say, I've only done this one time and honestly I don't intend to do it anymore.

With stocks, the buyer doesn't have the same kind of control. If Enron drives the price up, the buyer thinks he has something better than he really does. He has no way of knowing the truth. You say you are not comparing, then don't bring up the example because they are two different things.

The stories I could tell...

I was on eBay before it was EBAY and made a killing buying stuff at local garage sales, flea markets and auctions, then reselling them online.

Best ever: 35 Goonies Iron-ons, bought for $1.50.

After fees, postage, etc., I netted $465 on them.

Sweet.

bread's done
Back