The Yakuza 2 / Ryu Ga Gotoku 2 Thread (OUT NOW!)

Looks freakin' ghangsta. So is there indeed Japanese voice acting on this one, or is Sony still too strict about that?

I guess this means the PS3 sequel is 2009? Hopefully this one's $30 when it comes down - Sega tried $50 for the original, but that was two years ago.

Yakuza 2 confirmed to have Japanese VA and English subs!

Authentic, cinematic sequel. The gritty, genuine portrayal of life in the Yakuza is made more realistic throughout 16 gripping chapters with a return to the original Japanese voice cast and English subtitles.

I'll finally get to get over the part in the JPN Ryu Ga Gotoku 2 that I couldn't pass/understand lol. (lazy to use an online translation guide/FAQ)...

Thanks for the update. For some reason, I was thinking this was coming out in October. Must have been thinking about Little Big Planet.

I'll have to finish the first one this month.

What's the playthrough time for the first one, roughly?

has the freezing issue been resolved on the 80gb ps3 for the first game yet?

Apparently not, I really want to play it as well but I need to decide whether I want to pull the PS2 out of the closet and such.

Im hyped about this release...I just recently picked up the title used, based on the cover alone. Come to find out its an awesome game and that I had actually seen the movie adaptation...at the time I def did not appreciate it though, I cant wait to finish the game and go back and watch the movie again! Im def picking this up on release day.

Any word on preorder bonuses or a release of the side-story game stateside?

I checked Amazon and it says the game is $36.99 and not the $29.99 price point. I'll check over at Gamecrazy later this week to see if I can reserve myself a copy.

--Michael

[quote name='MarkMan']ARE YOU GUYS READY

SHUT THE FOCK UP!

I'm ready![/QUOTE]

I AM READY!!!!

If I go to buy it at Best Buy or something, an' they don't have it in stock, ima be like fuck YOU and then bash their head into something.

This is gonna be good. I imported the first game and tried to let people realize that Ryu ga Gotoku/Yakuza is not like GTA and is not like Shenmue, yet the big sites kept reaching for comparisons. So when people did get the game, it seemed to get bashed for not being like those games. That and the voice acting/translation which I could overlook after hearing what the game really sounded like.

I didn't import the second game, since I was holding out for Sega to give the franchise a second chance over here. Well, they look like they're doing it right this time and the media isnt being stupid by comparing it to totally different games.

I really hope with the lower price point, more people will give this series another chance.

*edit - scratch what I said about sites dropping the Shenmue and GTA comparisons :/.. http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/21283

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not want unless Yakuza 1 plays on an 80GB.

I'm not going to buy a $30 game when I'm unsure if it works on my system. Seems likely that a game in the same series might have the same problem.

[quote name='Chacrana']I AM READY!!!!

If I go to buy it at Best Buy or something, an' they don't have it in stock, ima be like fuck YOU and then bash their head into something.[/QUOTE]

If all else fails, use this!
*Throws a steaming hot bowl of ramen*

Also, Amazon finally wised up and lowered the price to $29.99 w/ free shipping. And one more thing, Sega had an interview with siliconera from a few days ago.

[quote name='jer7583']Do not want unless Yakuza 1 plays on an 80GB.

I'm not going to buy a $30 game when I'm unsure if it works on my system. Seems likely that a game in the same series might have the same problem.[/QUOTE]
Funny you mention that, I just looked this up today:
Yakuza
Publisher: KoeiProduct No: SLUS-21348
Description: The following conditions have been confirmed on PS3 System Software Version 2.20: At a specific point during gameplay, the title hangs. All conditions have been resolved on PS3 System Software Version 2.30.
Not sure why they list the publisher as Koei, but according to Sony it is fixed.

people in the 80GB compatability thread have said otherwise. Using 2.4, they still experienced the hang on chapter 3...

[quote name='Gabers']This is gonna be good. I imported the first game and tried to let people realize that Ryu ga Gotoku/Yakuza is not like GTA and is not like Shenmue, yet the big sites kept reaching for comparisons. So when people did get the game, it seemed to get bashed for not being like those games. That and the voice acting/translation which I could overlook after hearing what the game really sounded like.[/QUOTE]
Yes, at first when hearing about it, I also thought that it was going to be like Shenmue. However, after actually playing the first game, I realized that the two games have very little in common. They are both adventure games with beat-em-up and mini-game elements, but Yakuza was far more entrenched in the brawler and RPG building elements, which were more along the lines of diversions in Shenmue. After thinking about it, the best game to compare to Yakuza is River City Ransom. Both are primarily beat-em-ups with RPG elements, some elements of randomness, they both have town areas with residents who just walk through the streets without interaction towards the player, along with RPG-style shops with restorative food/items and/or weapons, and finally, they both have various gangs/factions that the player fights against.

[quote name='Gabers']I really hope with the lower price point, more people will give this series another chance.[/quote]
Apparently even in Japan, the original game barely sold any units at its original price point. When Sega lowered the price, and publicized the price drop, the game became a huge hit, selling more than enough to warrant the sequels that came after it. Sadly, Sega of America did not learn from this and released it as a full price $50 PS2 game, a move that may have turned newcomers off from purchasing it. It was an especially poor pricing decision when you consider that the original game was released in the US when the next-gen was getting into full swing, and new top-quality PS2 games were starting to release for $40.

I've been calling around and it seems like GameStop is the only store around me (in Phoenix, AZ) that is actually receiving it today. GameCrazy and Fry's seem to be getting it on the 12, and Best Buy on the 16th, which is weird. The GameStop I'm actually picking it up at is only getting two in, also, so if you want the game, get it fast.

[quote name='JEKKI']yeay I gotta review for you rite here

my fist / your face

yakuza style bitch!![/quote]

You should have brass knuckles with the letters "Y A K U" on one, and "Z A 2" on the other when you do that lol

Looks like Fry's will be getting it on the 11th around where I live, I might go pick it up.

[quote name='JEKKI']yeay I gotta review for you rite here

my fist / your face

yakuza style bitch!![/quote]

yeah yakuza but I would rather "butt" stroke you with my M4

I canceled my pre-order from Amazon and will get it from Frys. Apparently, it'll be $24.99. I can always price match it at Best Buy if I can't get it there.

--Michael

I read on gamefaqs that when you play this game you hafta play without wearing a shirt.

sheeyit... I'm not wearing a shirt rite now! I'm halfway there beeyotch!!

if anybody tries to play this game with a shirt on I'ma write a review for you

with a score of my fist / your face

bread's done
Back