Would you buy this 26" Toshiba?

Watchman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
My local BB has this model, open box for $449. It was up and running, it looked fine, and it couldn't have been used for too long-- the model was only announced during CES. It retails for $650, average price $600, on sale for $550.

So, do you think I should go for it? Although I can't find a legit review, multiple customer reviews (including more knowledgeable ones) give it good marks.

Only trouble is, I can't find a contrast ratio for it anywhere....

Too small, and its only 720p. If you dropping that kinda money, may as well spend a little more and get something a little nicer with more features.

It may not be too small for OP. 26" is fine for an average size room. Good replacement for standard 27" 4:3 footprint wise.

As for this Toshiba. No. Find the previous model. It has better specs with being a true Regza line unlike the one linked above. Cheaper too I think. Panasonic has a great 26" also. Can't remember the model, but I posted about it when someone else was asking about a similar question. Search.

Contrast ratio varies by manufactures so they don't mean too much across brands. Look over at avsforums for reviews on smaller lcd TVs.

if you want to deal with toshiba's horrid track record and crappy warranty service, go for it. i deal in distribution, we just dropped them.

[quote name='Dro']I would, if it looks fine. Can you return it though?[/quote]

I can. 30 day return policy. I just took back my 22" LG OOB that I got for the same price that I would have kept if it hadn't kept auto-dimming every time the picture went predominantly dark.

[quote name='tholly']Too small, and its only 720p. If you dropping that kinda money, may as well spend a little more and get something a little nicer with more features.[/quote]

Wait, how does having 2 HDMI plugs (which isn't all that common on a screen this size) and a built-in HD tuner in addition to Dolby output qualify as not enough features?

[quote name='Hibiwa']It may not be too small for OP. 26" is fine for an average size room. Good replacement for standard 27" 4:3 footprint wise.

As for this Toshiba. No. Find the previous model. It has better specs with being a true Regza line unlike the one linked above. Cheaper too I think. Panasonic has a great 26" also. Can't remember the model, but I posted about it when someone else was asking about a similar question. Search.

Contrast ratio varies by manufactures so they don't mean too much across brands. Look over at avsforums for reviews on smaller lcd TVs.[/quote]

Actually, it's even better than the 22 inch LG I bought mentioned above and just returned for the exact same price-- 4 inches more. Hiwiba's right-- this is for my 15x15 bedroom, and it's at the farthest I wanted to go in size-- anything bigger than 27" and it becomes obnoxious and intrusive in my bedroom.

Plus it'll blow out my budget. $500 is my limit.

As for finding the previous model, that's a tall order, considering I have no idea how they might have listed it's model number, not to mention I'd likely end up having to buy sight unseen from a fly-by-night dealer. I don't buy a TV unless I can see it in action, period unless there's solid reviews to back it up and it's a brand i trust.
I'd buy Panasonic in a heartbeat-- if their 26" wasn't way over my budget, which it is.

I'll check out AVS forums. Thanks.

[quote name='stnkygrngo']if you want to deal with toshiba's horrid track record and crappy warranty service, go for it. i deal in distribution, we just dropped them.[/quote]

Explain this crappy track record and warranty service?

[quote name='Watchman']Wait, how does having 2 HDMI plugs (which isn't all that common on a screen this size) and a built-in HD tuner in addition to Dolby output qualify as not enough features?
[/QUOTE]

I'd say 720p is the main deterrent.....especially with 1080p being the common standard right about now....

[quote name='tholly']I'd say 720p is the main deterrent.....especially with 1080p being the common standard right about now....[/quote]
At 26", you barely notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. At that size and prize, go for it.

[quote name='tholly']I'd say 720p is the main deterrent.....especially with 1080p being the common standard right about now....[/quote]

From what I've read on professional sites, 1080p is wasted on anything smaller than 32"-- plus, most HD channels don't even use 1080p yet, but only 720p-- ABC being one such channel.

[quote name='SynGamer']At 26", you barely notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. At that size and prize, go for it.[/quote]

Proof positive.
See, that was my logic in thinking-- Toshiba's a good brand when it comes to quality image (my parents house still has a 32" tube tv that's still great even 15 years later), and I'm getting 4 more inches over my aforementioned 22" LG (which as I said, I did love, if not for the quirk I mentioned) that I got at the same price a month ago.

I have about 1.5 hours before they open, and I can swing over and grab it before work, so more feedback from anyone is greatly appreciated.

Well, I got it. I got misled on one of the connectors in the back (PC audio IN, not out, which is what I wanted with my incredible PC sound system), but Radio Shack and I jerryrigged it just fine. No idea what the BR will look like until when I get my MGS/PS3 bundle, but it's a great size and has a lot of adjustable picture options. Even my PS2 running Firefly on it looks shiny.

720p will be fine and Im sure you will enjoy it!

Good choice btw. Let us know how it is so others will be informed on this model. I checked the net for info on this thing and couldnt find anything, nothing really on AVS either.

[quote name='Watchman']Well, I got it. I got misled on one of the connectors in the back (PC audio IN, not out, which is what I wanted with my incredible PC sound system), but Radio Shack and I jerryrigged it just fine. No idea what the BR will look like until when I get my MGS/PS3 bundle, but it's a great size and has a lot of adjustable picture options. Even my PS2 running Firefly on it looks shiny.[/quote]
Welcome to HDTV. It's beautiful isn't it :D Great choice considering what you wanted.

[quote name='SynGamer']Welcome to HDTV. It's beautiful isn't it :D Great choice considering what you wanted.[/quote]

Well, the thing is, this is my second foray into HDTV-- as I mentioned before, I had a 22" LG LCD HD literally up until the day before I bought this one (it too was an OOB, and I returned it due to it's auto-dimming)... Trouble is I don't know how the HD will look until the MGS4/PS3 bundle hits, but it looked great on the floor when it was running the HD feed. It looks decent thus far running my PS2 with DVD's, but the game aspect is more than a little bit hazy. I'm looking forward to backwards emulation.

I will say that it's three "Theaterwide" frame options do offer come choice in taking advantage of the whole screen, with minimal squash and stretch. Plenty of picture-altering options too. Too bad I can't find the manual on their webisite-- they don't have it up yet. Odd, considering the model's been out since February.

So far, so good. But it'll really come down to the last week of the 30 days, when I'll have the PS3 running off the HDMI cables....

Just to give you guys an update-- now that I've gotten my PS3/MGS4, I can finally utilize the HD capability of the tv, and let me tell you, razor sharp. Colors are vibrant, motion blur (that i've observed) is non-existent, and just a beautiful overall package. Get a sound system though... the speakers are nothing to write home about.

If I had one complaint, its that the HDMI takes about 3-4 seconds to be recognized by the TV before it gets the signal, but it's a minor quibble. All in all, it's a solid choice IMO. Money well-spent for what I paid.

bread's done
Back