Some cheap ass places in Toronto?

Game Center at Yonge and Charles (go to Bloor station on the subway then walk about a block south) is probably my favourite store downtown. They usually have pretty good prices on games.

[quote name='Median']Game Center at Yonge and Charles (go to Bloor station on the subway then walk about a block south) is probably my favourite store downtown. They usually have pretty good prices on games.[/quote]

I support this post. Game Centre is the best used game shop in the city, although you don't have a lot to pick from.

Gamerama(Yonge and Eglinton) has less than stellar customer service, but you can haggle so prices down.. but are generally high. Game Shack (near Eaton's Centre) usually doesn't have an awful lot, or great deals, but you might check it out.

If you're out in Mississauga/Oakville at all, Game Now (gamenow.ca) is a great little shop. They carry a lot of oddities, imports, and used titles.

I find pawn shops in the city don't have a lot, video game wise. I was disappointed when I moved to Toronto, because I use to depend on pawn shops for a good portion of my used gaming goods. Maybe I just haven't found the right place yet..

Well, enjoy your visit!

Gameshack near the Eaton Centre (below the Blacks Photography across the street) has some pretty good stuff (you just have to look), here's a sampling of what I found: Animal Crossing for GC w/ memory card still on there, Warioware for GC, Persona 2 for PS1 and Suikoden 1/2. All for under $30 apiece.

I haven't been to Gamerama in a few years but last I was there they were ok, used games galore and I got my Xbox there for $100 with a bunch of other stuff.

If you're feeling adventurous and willing to go into the suburbs (in a car, for god's sakes in car, do NOT try to get to these places by foot or bus) I can get some names for you from guys at work.

[quote name='Chronis']I'm going to be heading to Canada for a week on Friday so I'm curious if there are any places I should visit.[/quote]

Since our dollar is doing pretty good, I'm not sure how much of a deal you'll get. All the same, remember you can claim back all the taxes for whatever you spend, just keep the receipts and get info on how to claim tax back at the border. You may not realize tax on bought items is a whopping 14% in Ontario, probably twice what you are used to in your home state.

Something I usually do when shopping the US is check the weekly flyers right before a visit, and mapquest the locations closest to where I am staying.

http://www.futureshop.ca
http://www.bestbuy.ca

are good to start. EBGames.ca has a flyer sometimes, or just walk into one in your neighborhood and see what they have.
Blockbuster Video and Rogers Video also have some game deals sometimes!

You could also continue to follow this forum for some good deals right up to your visit. ;)

Game Center is probably the best independent video game shop in Toronto. It has great prices and good trade-in value.

I also recommend Hi-Tech video games (just outside of Dufferin Station). It really has a nice mom and pop vibe, and the clerk is really friendly. Good Prices as well

[quote name='kathos']Gameshack near the Eaton Centre (below the Blacks Photography across the street) has some pretty good stuff (you just have to look), here's a sampling of what I found: Animal Crossing for GC w/ memory card still on there, Warioware for GC, Persona 2 for PS1 and Suikoden 1/2. All for under $30 apiece.

If you're feeling adventurous and willing to go into the suburbs (in a car, for god's sakes in car, do NOT try to get to these places by foot or bus) I can get some names for you from guys at work.[/quote]

This Gameshack place still sells PS1 games? Woo, I may have to stop by then. Also, I laughed at it being next to Blacks. Blame Family Guy for that.

And I'm actually staying in the suburbs with a car. It's just that I'll probably head into the city (I'm guessing Toronto is actually a city and not just a very large town with lots of people) a couple of days.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Since our dollar is doing pretty good, I'm not sure how much of a deal you'll get. All the same, remember you can claim back all the taxes for whatever you spend, just keep the receipts and get info on how to claim tax back at the border. You may not realize tax on bought items is a whopping 14% in Ontario, probably twice what you are used to in your home state.[/quote]

O_O!!! DUDE! 14%!?! New York has one of the higher taxes here at about 8.5~% and I thought that was bad. But 14%!? Guess that free health insurance you guys get is is pretty expensive. Good to know about claiming taxes though. I'll definitely have to look into that.

And thanks to everyone else who has posted so far!

Sorry about the tax shock, you get used to it if you live here
:)
Where in the burbs are you? There may be local places since you're not downtown

MMmm, I had to find all the paperwork and everything. Seems like I'm in a town called Shanty Bay. A little farther from Toronto than I expected but... eh. It's not going to stop me from heading up there a few times.

[quote name='gizmo29']Game Center is probably the best independent video game shop in Toronto. It has great prices and good trade-in value.

I also recommend Hi-Tech video games (just outside of Dufferin Station). It really has a nice mom and pop vibe, and the clerk is really friendly. Good Prices as well[/quote]

I don't reccomend Hi-Tech. I've had a 50% track record of stuff I've bought there being broken.

[quote name='Chronis']MMmm, I had to find all the paperwork and everything. Seems like I'm in a town called Shanty Bay. A little farther from Toronto than I expected but... eh. It's not going to stop me from heading up there a few times.[/quote]
Had to look it up. Talk about Bumblefuck, Ontario...

Your best bet is too look up places in Barrie, Ontario, since that's very close by. There seems to be 2 EBG's in Barrie, and they definitely have a Walmart...

Toronto is about an hour and a half, maybe a bit more. Like I said before, I'd plan ahead before going.

[quote name='Chronis']MMmm, I had to find all the paperwork and everything. Seems like I'm in a town called Shanty Bay. A little farther from Toronto than I expected but... eh. It's not going to stop me from heading up there a few times.[/quote]

If you don't feel like driving there's always the GO Train (gotransit.com), but you'll have to conform to their schedules (last train leaves Toronto at 6pm on weekdays). And of course their prices. Which are surprisingly not that bad compared to the TTC, and gas now. ^_^

I dunno, man. It seems like any deal you can get over here, you'll get a much better price in the US. We always get shafted on prices.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Since our dollar is doing pretty good, I'm not sure how much of a deal you'll get. All the same, remember you can claim back all the taxes for whatever you spend, just keep the receipts and get info on how to claim tax back at the border. You may not realize tax on bought items is a whopping 14% in Ontario, probably twice what you are used to in your home state.

Something I usually do when shopping the US is check the weekly flyers right before a visit, and mapquest the locations closest to where I am staying.

http://www.futureshop.ca
http://www.bestbuy.ca

are good to start. EBGames.ca has a flyer sometimes, or just walk into one in your neighborhood and see what they have.
Blockbuster Video and Rogers Video also have some game deals sometimes!

You could also continue to follow this forum for some good deals right up to your visit. ;)[/quote]

Actually you can't claim it anymore. It was stopped recently (about time IMO)
And the tax is rate is 13%.
Yay we now save 1 cent on a chocolate bar...:roll:

[quote name='Median']Game Center at Yonge and Charles (go to Bloor station on the subway then walk about a block south) is probably my favourite store downtown. They usually have pretty good prices on games.[/quote]

Go to Game Centre.

Last time I was there, I got Psychonauts for PS2 for $20.

You sometimes get lucky finds.

[quote name='vegi-saurus']Good info as i'll be moving to Brampton in a couple of weeks.[/quote]

You're in luck. The Shoppers World area (Main & Steeles) has a mom and pop game store called We Got Games, an EB, a GameStop, a Blockbuster, and a Real Canadian Superstore. There's also two more EBs in town, three Rogers Videos, a Best Buy, and two Futureshops. I swear, it's the highest population of game retailers around.

I have to agree that Game Centre near Yonge/Bloor subway station is by far the best shop around.

I kinda like GameShack underneath the Atrium By the Bay. But prices are a bit higher than Game Centre.

The Hi-Tech shop near Dufferin Station is ok... good customer service, prices are a bit high, but the thing is, the shop guy doesn't charge tax (or at least for me he didn't). So the price on the used game is as is.

As for Gamerama... not my cup of tea. Prices are higher (like EB) and trade-in value is not the best. But I agree with a previous post where you can haggle with the shop guys to lower down a price of a game or two.

Ciao~!

just found a new place in brampton
toyratt
it's a mom and pop shop
not to orgainized in his shop but they have lots of retro stuff
some new stuff but again its all over the place in boxes
here is his link to his site
www.toyratt.com
anybody eles been there

bread's done
Back