XBLA - Frogger 2 - 800pts

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)

Features

Hop along with Frogger® 2 as you travel through more than fifteen challenging levels filled with new enemies and obstacles. Each of the five exotic environments provides a new set of challenges, but beware of the bosses that try to thwart your progress. Compete with up to four friends in two different online multiplayer modes, and hop your way to victory.
  • Gameplay: Dodge new enemies, obstacles, and engage in thrilling boss battles.
  • Hours of fun: Take on more than fifteen levels of action across five exotic environments.
  • Multiplayer modes: Challenge your friends as you compete in two new online multiplayer modes. Try Race Mode to see who can finish an enhanced version of the original Frogger level first. Or hang on to the jewel in Jewel Duel, and prevent your friends from taking the jewel.

Achievements here: http://www.achieve360points.com/game/frogger2/

Give me a fucking break.

So MS decides to tell Cave to fuck off with Ikaruga enhanced style ports of two of their best shmup's (Ketsui and DDP Black), yet Frogger 2 gets approved?? MS even said they didn't want the arcade being full of "arcade ports", but yea, let's ignore the fact these two games have never been in the US, let alone on a console, but Frogger 2, that's important enough to get through.

Wow, MS, just wow.

So Frogger 2 the atari game or Frogger 2 the 3D game? The old game doesn't have coins, but the 3D one from 2000 does so I imagine it's that one?

[quote name='lilboo']If it was a new game, then I'd be excited for. Pac-Man Championship Edition was a nice surprise, IMO[/quote]

That'd be nice but going by the name title I'd say its wishful thinking. No clue one which one it will be till we get more info, but unless its a Pac-Man CE type deal...does anyone care?

I still want my last achievement on Frogger! Too bad the online mode is a lag-fest...and I can't ever find anyone that can stay alive long enough. :l

EDIT: I even played it yesterday. But the one person I found online couldn't live past the first level.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']That'd be nice but going by the name title I'd say its wishful thinking. No clue one which one it will be till we get more info, but unless its a Pac-Man CE type deal...does anyone care?[/QUOTE]

The only reason I care is because MS blocked an awesome company from releasing very awesome shmups for Live, which definitely would have come out over here... first time on a home console, first time in America (I think).

Instead, they told the company there are too many arcade ports, they want original games, their stuff wasn't going to get on XBLA. So the company now put them on a disc, which has almost no chance of being picked up for the US, and I don't feel like modding my 360 to import it.

Yet, they'll bow to Konami's every whim it seems, who wants to flood the arcade with trashy ports of games no one cares about.

I just really don't understand the double standards, at all. I wouldn't give a shit if Frogger 2 was on XBLA or not usually, but the fact it's taking the place of two very well made games is painful, simply because MS wants to suck up to Konami and leave small developers in the dust.

I see your point Roufuss, I meant does anyone care what version of Frogger 2 it is, if its the arcade or the DC port either way, I'm sure not a lot of people will buy it, seems like a waste of space.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I see your point Roufuss, I meant does anyone care what version of Frogger 2 it is, if its the arcade or the DC port either way, I'm sure not a lot of people will buy it, seems like a waste of space.[/QUOTE]

Pfft, if you take a look at Major Nelson's top 10 Live games purchased he does every week, unless a game is complete and utter trash, it is ALWAYS at the #1 spot for purchased games each week.

They'll make money on this, lots of casuals will buy it on name recognition.

If they are smart, they should not sell this for 10 bucks. Do what Penny Arcade did, bring out three games, with 5 levels per game and charge $7.50 per episode. People will be buying it left and right and saying how good of a deal it is.

What game IS this?

It's not "Frogger 2: Threedeep!" (From the Atari 8-bit/Coleco/etc days)... was this an arcade game? (I consider myself fairly knowledgable about classics but this just looks... horrible....)

Can we list this as a title likely to be delisted before it even comes out?

I wish they gave us the option to veto the listing of games on XBL during 90-percent into their creation - just as a proper '"you suck" to those who get vetoed.

This would be one of those games. Veto.

[quote name='Roufuss']Give me a fucking break.

So MS decides to tell Cave to fuck off with Ikaruga enhanced style ports of two of their best shmup's (Ketsui and DDP Black), yet Frogger 2 gets approved?? MS even said they didn't want the arcade being full of "arcade ports", but yea, let's ignore the fact these two games have never been in the US, let alone on a console, but Frogger 2, that's important enough to get through.

Wow, MS, just wow.[/quote]

QFT x 100.

[quote name='porieux']That price must be a misprint right? I can't see this being more than 400 msp.[/quote]

Price is going up. 400 point games are going to be less and less.

Oh, come the fuck on. 800 pts for this is ridiculous, considering I regret paying 400 for the first frogger. This reminds me of how people bitched about the 800 points for the Pac-Man CE, because it was just another Pac-Man, but this, this frogger does not seem worth it in the least. Atleast I get to save my Ms points this week(but where is Happy Tree Friends :(?)

This is a brand new game, so I'll at least give the demo a shot. But even if this game is good it won't get any love launching against Commandos 3.

I was a big fan of the idea of XBLA but all the crap they have thrown out has just disgusted me. This is just another game that pushes away any interest I have in following xbla releases.

[quote name='Wolve11']This will be a day one for me, planning to stay up until release tonight. :roll:[/quote]

Start a webcam!

[quote name='radjago']And I thought RooGoo was for babies. Frogger 2 will probably still outsell it on the name alone.[/quote]

Hey fuck you man, RooGoo is awesome. Frogger 2 just sucks.

[quote name='SpazX']Hey fuck you man, RooGoo is awesome. Frogger 2 just sucks.[/QUOTE]

QFT. Love Roogoo. This Frogger game is just awful. I'm no fan of the original Frogger, but it's Pac Man CE, Call of Duty 4 and GTA IV wrapped in bacon compared to this POS. Whoever approved this release should be fired at once. 89 days and counting to delisting...

How many of you guys actually played this? As someone who likes the original Frogger, I think it's a pretty good modernization. All the core elements are present, but the levels are now huge and there's a few extra gameplay mechanics. I think the graphics are bright and pleasant, though I wish it was widescreen. They really should have sold it for 400 points, but at least it seems like a pretty long game.

[quote name='eastx']How many of you guys actually played this? As someone who likes the original Frogger, I think it's a pretty good modernization. All the core elements are present, but the levels are now huge and there's a few extra gameplay mechanics. I think the graphics are bright and pleasant, though I wish it was widescreen. They really should have sold it for 400 points, but at least it seems like a pretty long game.[/QUOTE]

^
I played the demo and I thought it was pretty neat. That's probably because I've always enjoyed Frogger games. But I'm not buying it. 800 points really, really, is the wrong price for this.

Points are a little devalued for me since I just got a bunch of cards for $5, but yeah. It's a shame that everything is $10 now except for ancient arcade games.

[quote name='eastx']How many of you guys actually played this? As someone who likes the original Frogger, I think it's a pretty good modernization. All the core elements are present, but the levels are now huge and there's a few extra gameplay mechanics. I think the graphics are bright and pleasant, though I wish it was widescreen. They really should have sold it for 400 points, but at least it seems like a pretty long game.[/QUOTE]

I'm a pretty big Frogger fan, and this just comes off as a watered down version of the Playstation style Frogger games. It's just not very compelling in 2008 for $10 and I don't think adding complexity to Frogger is good thing.

The difference between what they did with Pac-Man CE and this is that there really aren't any changes to the mechanics of Pac-Man, they just refined those mechanics. Much like Pac-Man, the original Frogger has a very good and simple mechanic: point the direction you want the character to go and avoid stuff that will kill you. They should concentrate on making that better... not giving Frogger a tongue.

Of course Pac-Man CE is a shining example of modernizing a classic game, but you can't expect every game to live up to those standards. In fact, the original Frogger doesn't live up to Pac-Man's standards in most people's eyes.

I fail to see how being able to use your tongue actually makes the game worse, and the original Frogger mechanics that you described are present and accounted for. I suppose all the modern Frogger games have taken the series in a kid-friendly direction, which many older gamers wouldn't like, but that aspect has never bothered me (Not that I bought many of the other games).

[quote name='eastx']How many of you guys actually played this? As someone who likes the original Frogger, I think it's a pretty good modernization. All the core elements are present, but the levels are now huge and there's a few extra gameplay mechanics. I think the graphics are bright and pleasant, though I wish it was widescreen. They really should have sold it for 400 points, but at least it seems like a pretty long game.[/quote]
Well if you read through this thread, you'll see that plenty of people played the demo and hated it. Same with me. I play every XBLA demo because they're free (I'm a dedicated cheapass). I thought it was bad and really not worth 800 pts. It pisses me off that MS is going to start de-listing games and yet release a game that is almost guaranteed to get de-listed sooner rather than later. Use the bandwith for something more worth-while.

[quote name='eastx']Of course Pac-Man CE is a shining example of modernizing a classic game, but you can't expect every game to live up to those standards. In fact, the original Frogger doesn't live up to Pac-Man's standards in most people's eyes.

I fail to see how being able to use your tongue actually makes the game worse, and the original Frogger mechanics that you described are present and accounted for. I suppose all the modern Frogger games have taken the series in a kid-friendly direction, which many older gamers wouldn't like, but that aspect has never bothered me (Not that I bought many of the other games).[/QUOTE]

Did you play the Playstation era versions? We've already been down this route and, from what I can tell from the trial, the Playstation versions did it better.

[quote name='MisterHand']This is a brand new game, so I'll at least give the demo a shot. But even if this game is good it won't get any love launching against Commandos 3.[/QUOTE]

Wait this is a new game? Don't they know there was already a Frogger 2 in like 1983?
Not to mention the DC one...

[quote name='SpazX']Hey fuck you man, RooGoo is awesome. Frogger 2 just sucks.[/QUOTE]
I never said it wasn't awesome. I just said it was for babies. Awesome babies, indeed.

[quote name='shipwreck']Did you play the Playstation era versions? We've already been down this route and, from what I can tell from the trial, the Playstation versions did it better.[/QUOTE]

Skipped them, I'm afraid. You're probably right that they're better, but you need to have perspective. This is a $10 downloadable title. It is not a full retail release - those games surely sold for $20-50 when they launched.

Keep in mind I've said that this game should be $5 instead of $10, but my point is that it's faithful to the original and pretty fun. Not that it's for everyone, but it's certainly not the worst XBLA game yet.

Even 400pts was too much. Even if they gave this away for free, I would only download it so I could have the satisfaction of deleting it.

I'd rather play Yaris! There, I said it.

[quote name='MisterHand']Even 400pts was too much. Even if they gave this away for free, I would only download it so I could have the satisfaction of deleting it.

I'd rather play Yaris! There, I said it.[/QUOTE]

See, that's the kind of opinion that caused me to question whether you had played the game or not. I don't know you, but as far as I can tell in this thread, you're trolling.

bread's done
Back