World Series of Poker 2008: Battle for the Bracelets

Matt Young

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I picked up this game at Circuit City, where it is on sale for $9.99 (regularly $19.99) this week. I do not know how to play poker, but I've always wanted to learn. This game offers several tutorials to help me with that.

The game also features a career mode representing the actual World Series of Poker, along with online play via Xbox Live and other nifty features like video poker and blackjack. The coolest feature, however, is the ability to put yourself in the game via the Xbox Live Vision Camera.

The game has you take a shot of your face and a profile shot. It was kind of hard to position myself within the guide lines shown on the screen, since when I held the camera myself, it was too shaky, so I had to kind of crouch down to align myself with the camera, which is on top of my TV.

It's just really cool to be able to put my own face in the video game. It doesn't look *quite* right, but ti's good enough. There's some overlap with my real hair and the hair I chose in-game for my character (closest option available compared to my real hair) and the transition along the jawline from my face to a head created with the in-game graphics is noticeable, but it's still pretty awesome.

Does anyone else have this game? If not, now's the time to buy it. $9.99 at Circuit City till next Sunday. Join me for some online poker! Gamertag is Zeus Rambo.

My character:

l_10c0f6e88c8c38a21641cc53a8a0dd2a.jpg

l_b0f86a7ddbc79c3cf7abe3b55f6b3018.jpg

l_1cc2485cc4e36e6fe21a24f560ee27e5.jpg

Sounds cool, I'd want to pick it up at that price. Would be fun to have a CAG poker night. Don't think I have time to drop by CC this week though.

Sometimes Poker really isn't the same without the smell of tobacco and alcohol.

I know some of the COD4 clan did Texas Hold 'Em nights in the past, but I don't have that game. This one is just as cheap, anyway.

Maybe you could order online or price match at a store closer to you, if that's the problem. Otherwise, the game is $19.99 normally. I'd offer to buy a copy and ship it up your way at cost, but I'm broke. Someone else paid for my game.

This game is highly addicting, by the way. I went from not knowing the rules of poker to highly addicted, wondering where the last 4 hours went. Between this and GTA, I have not slept.

If someone could pick this up and send it my way, I'd send you the money in advance (via paypal).

Thanks!

[quote name='lordwow']According to CC.com, every CC within 20 miles of me is sold out.[/quote]

It is the same situation here, which is mildly infuriating.

Oh, and this thread nicely coincides with your mass message, I suppose. ;)

I have been a poker addict for many years and I am glad to see videogames dedicated to it getting some attention. I bought the 2007 version and so far I have found that the 2008 is much improved. In the career mode they now have a lot of options for skipping the cpu betting. The interface is also a lot slicker and more user friendly.

That said the problem with single-player poker campaigns is that poker is really about the analysis of your opponents. CPU players don't give you that feeling. I haven't played 2008 online but in 2007 they had some major issues since you didn't really have a bankroll that mattered. People would just go all in on the first couple hands. The problem was you would get a 6 person all in on the first hand, then the winner would be in a dominating chip lead. Then you would have to try to take him down in 3-4 way action down 6:1 in chips. Just wasn't fun.

Good game, though. Poker games are starting to get much better.

Cheapy I will try to get you a copy. I have it and it has the best single-player mode of any of the previous games, plus it should be great for online as we could get much more people in a room than the XBLA one.

i don't know if this helps anyone but there are 2 copies left at the northridge, ca circuit city as of the close of business memorial day (i bought one this evening)

Hey guys, don't pay any attention to what CircuitCity.com says about the game's "availability" in your local stores. It said all stores in a 30 mile radius of my house were unavailable for in-store pick-up, but nothing about being sold out.

I went there this morning and found 8 new copies in the Bargain Bin, away from the rest of the 360 library. If anyone wants it, PM me and I can pick up and mail you a copy for about $13 PayPal, more if international.

Aside from that, has a night and time been established?

~HotShotX

Thanks for the Heads up HotShot.

I MAY try to go to CC this weekend, the only problem for me is it's a train/bus ride away, so it's a time commitment to head out there for a big maybe.

[quote name='TheRock88']Anyone know how you save in the middle of a game in single player?[/QUOTE]

In the actual World Series career games, I don't know if you can. But if you're playing quick play, you just leave the game. make sure to back out to the main menu, though. Don't just turn off the system. In quick play, as long as you don't start another quick play game, your current one will be available for continuation.

HotshotX, no night and time has been established. I was going to wait until everyone was able to get copies and then see what works best.

[quote name='HotShotX']I went there this morning and found 8 new copies in the Bargain Bin, away from the rest of the 360 library. If anyone wants it, PM me and I can pick up and mail you a copy for about $13 PayPal, more if international.[/QUOTE]
I'm going to try to drop by a CC on Sat, but if not I would love a copy. Think you can pick up a couple and hold them? I'm sure for $13 a few CAGs will be interested.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I'm going to try to drop by a CC on Sat, but if not I would love a copy. Think you can pick up a couple and hold them? I'm sure for $13 a few CAGs will be interested.[/quote]

If anyone cannot find a copy locally, send me a PM and I'll make a trip Friday or Saturday for everyone who's interested.

~HotShotX

A friend of mine was able to find a copy for myself and SIUFan. So we would be down for playing. I believe I read that online supports 16 players at once.

I have the previous version, tournament of champions. The game was alright, but I don't see how a sequal can be much better

this game is too long and u need a big HDTV because the text is small just like dead rising game is good

[quote name='RawisJericho']A friend of mine was able to find a copy for myself and SIUFan. So we would be down for playing. I believe I read that online supports 16 players at once.[/QUOTE]

I just got your MySpace message about that. Good news, since you can play now rather than sending me the money through Paypal and then waiting for the shipped game to arrive. :)

[quote name='CheapyD']If someone could pick this up and send it my way, I'd send you the money in advance (via paypal).

Thanks![/quote]
What he said. No CC, BB, anything near me.

[quote name='doubledown']My CC's have none according to the store tracker....oh well....$10 saved I suppose.[/QUOTE]

That's not accurate at all. None of the CC's near me had copies according to the store tracker. I went to my nearest CC yesterday and there were about 20 copies of all the $9.99 games. Make sure to look in a bargain bin and not where the other games are.

[quote name='peteyrose']That's not accurate at all. None of the CC's near me had copies according to the store tracker. I went to my nearest CC yesterday and there were about 20 copies of all the $9.99 games. Make sure to look in a bargain bin and not where the other games are.[/quote]

Any chance of picking a few copies up for your fellow CAGs?

[quote name='SynGamer']Any chance of picking a few copies up for your fellow CAGs?[/QUOTE]

Check out HotShotX's post at the bottom of page 1. He offered.

Guys, remember that CircuitCity.com DOES NOT LIST GAME AVAILABILITY, but rather whether or not it can be used for IN-STORE PICK-UP. The only way to see if it's there is to go yourself or call ahead.

Remember that it might be in your store's bargain bin.

Aside from that, I'm willing to pick up a few copies at mine for about $13 PayPal. PM me if you're interested.

~HotShotX

Just throwing this out there, but if the Target coupon ($10 off) is still good, people could possibly get this game for even less *hint hint*. It's $39.99 at Target.com but it might be worth someones while to check Target for a clearance price.

[quote name='TheRock88']Anyone know how you save in the middle of a game in single player?[/quote]

Just pause the game and it autosaves. If you leave the game, you start back exactly at that hand (provided you select the event you're currently in when you restart.)

[quote name='CheapyD']If someone could pick this up and send it my way, I'd send you the money in advance (via paypal). Thanks![/quote]

CheapyDad bought one for you just now at CC in Westbury near Fortunoff's. He said there were a few more copies there. Perhaps if others picked one up for you they could share with other CAGs.
:grouphug:

Yes! I bought the last copy in Schaumburg, Illinois! Dayyyyum, what a good deal! Good call, Matt!

I say after our usual COD4 Thursday, we cool down with a game or two...

[quote name='CheapyMom']CheapyDad bought one for you just now at CC in Westbury near Fortunoff's. He said there were a few more copies there. Perhaps if others picked one up for you they could share with other CAGs.
:grouphug:[/quote]

Thank you CheapyMom as I was headed there after work to get 1 for him. Now I'm just going to get 1 to trade on Goozex.

[quote name='Simon D I']Yes! I bought the last copy in Schaumburg, Illinois! Dayyyyum, what a good deal! Good call, Matt!

I say after our usual COD4 Thursday, we cool down with a game or two...[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Now I can be sexually harassed while I get Stallowned at poker. :)

What time would that be, after COD4? I'm always on later than everyone else, it seems. I definitely will be on late this week due to Lost's finale. Also, we must account for the CAG's who bought this game but do not play COD4.

I like the idea, but I say we give everyone a few days at least to see who all will be getting the game. Basically, through Saturday while the sale is still going on. But, in the meantime, playing after COD4 or any other time would be cool.

And Simon: YOU NEED A fuckING CAMERA~!

Should we use the CAG Saloon Live account Simon setup and just convert it to this game instead of the XBLA one?

Also I have an extra copy of the game I will send to any US CAG for $15 or equivalent in trade. International CAG's will cost more. I can possibly get up to 2 more copies also. Please PM on that to avoid clutter in the thread.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Should we use the CAG Saloon Live account Simon setup and just convert it to this game instead of the XBLA one?

Also I have an extra copy of the game I will send to any US CAG for $15 or equivalent in trade. International CAG's will cost more. I can possibly get up to 2 more copies also. Please PM on that to avoid clutter in the thread.[/quote]

For sure, man!

Add

CAG SALOON

It's for Card Games, Carcassonne, Uno, Catan and all those other chilled-out games!

Awesome, saves me the trouble of making a silver account. I'll just have to re-add CAGSaloon since I removed it after not getting Hold 'Em.

I think that, by me starting this thread and you all buying the game, we may have collectively doubled the sales of the game. It must have sold terribly to be discounted to $19.99 normally, and $9.99 this week at CC (while most other stores don't even carry it) only 8 months after release. It's not like it has any competition on consoles.

[quote name='Matt Young']Awesome, saves me the trouble of making a silver account. I'll just have to re-add CAGSaloon since I removed it after not getting Hold 'Em.

I think that, by me starting this thread and you all buying the game, we may have collectively doubled the sales of the game. It must have sold terribly to be discounted to $19.99 normally, and $9.99 this week at CC (while most other stores don't even carry it) only 8 months after release. It's not like it has any competition on consoles.[/quote]
The only time i saw the game marketed was during the WSOP...after that, nothing. But yes, we just added to the sales of the game :D Can't wait for a tournament to be organized.

Online is really fun on this game. I just played a couple hours with RawIsJericho and SIUfan and had a great time. It was a very chill atmosphere, and we met a cool guy who I invited to sign up here since he's into this game and COD4. There was also a drunken insomniac and an Australian who talked about his job working nights as a chicken catcher. Good stuff.

As I said in the COD4 thread, I will not be on till after 11 Pacific tomorrow night due to the Lost finale, and most COD4 players from here are done by then. What do you guys say to some hands of poker around 11:15 P.M. Pacific?

As I said in the COD4 thread, I will not be on till after 11 Pacific tomorrow night due to the Lost finale, and most COD4 players from here are done by then. What do you guys say to some hands of poker around 11:15 P.M. Pacific?

Ouch, that's way too late for me, and probably most East Coasters. 2am to play poker is a bit much :)

~HotShotX

We don't have to play on COD4 night. I was thinking Friday or Saturday nights would be fine. 10 PM EST would be 7 PM PST, not too bad overall.

bread's done
Back