Any 24" iMac 3.06GHz owners out there?

Haggar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm ordering the 24" iMac 3.06 GHz this weekend, just wondering if anyone here has the same model & what they think of it.

My current computer is a G4 eMac with a 1GHz processor. Yeah, it's really old.

The only options I'm ordering is the wireless keyboard & mouse upgrade & Apple Care. I do work in Dreamweaver & Creative Suite (mostly Photoshop) but I think the standard config. of the 3.06 model should be fine.

Not sure if I'm crazy about the aluminum trim, I kinda miss the white casings.

[quote name='Strell']*googles price*

Good god. I hope there aren't any here on Cheapassgamer. :p[/QUOTE]

But with all the money I've saved using this website I can splurge a little.

I would go into how ridiculous that is, but i quite frankly don't have the energy for another one of these threads so soon.

i got the 24" 2.8, and i run the CS3 Master Collection for Mac which is 20GB and runs perfectly fine, i love it and plus its fast as shit

[quote name='Haggar']I'm ordering the 24" iMac 3.06 GHz this weekend, just wondering if anyone here has the same model & what they think of it.

My current computer is a G4 eMac with a 1GHz processor. Yeah, it's really old.

The only options I'm ordering is the wireless keyboard & mouse upgrade & Apple Care. I do work in Dreamweaver & Creative Suite (mostly Photoshop) but I think the standard config. of the 3.06 model should be fine.

Not sure if I'm crazy about the aluminum trim, I kinda miss the white casings.[/quote]

You'll love that iMac - it's very fast. I use one at work in our lab. I actually like the Aluminum trim and prefer it over the white.

Congrats, ignore the asshats, and enjoy the new comp.

Upgrading it to 4GB of RAM is $110 from Crucial. I'd plan on adding that into the system, that way you're maxed out on RAM and should have it run even faster.

Dreamweaver and Photoshop, like all the other Adobe CS products out there, loves as much RAM as it can get.

I own it, and get some ram from newegg or whatever. 4gb maxes it out (5300 DDR2 I believe) and it runs like a dream.

I havent had any issues with mine, and I'm a graphic designer and it runs Photoshop CS3 faster than anything else I've owned. Also, if you're feelin Windows nostalgic, boot camp runs like any other windows machine and I've played BioShock on it and its pretty nice.

My only disapointment was buying Battlefield 2142 for the Mac, it was garbage and the Windows version ran 100X better in boot camp.

the 2.8ghz version is $1800 on amazon... wow.

just for kicks i spec'd out a PC with that budget:

26" Doublesight monitor $720
Intel Quad-core Q6600 $220
Abit IP35 Pro $180
8GB Corsair DDR800 $198
Thermaltake 500W PSU $60
XFX 8800GT 512MB $180
500GB Samsung Spinpoint $90
Coolermaster Centurion case $55
Samsung 20x DVD writer $30

after shipping it comes out to $1747. obviously that doesn't include OS or software, but you get the picture. and if all those specs above is like reading another language, trust me it's verrry nice.

i'm not knocking macs, i think they're very slick looking and have pretty decent components. but holy crap you could have an amazing PC for that much money :hot::rofl:

I use a 20 inch as my work computer.

It's a Dual 2.0 with 2 gig of ram.

I Run final cut express and protools LE on it. I like the aluminum enclosures better than the old white ones, and the computer runs like a champ.

i would say don't get the wireless keyboard, how often would you use it away from the computer? Also it is missing the number pad on the right side of the keyboard. I also recommend using a different wireless mouse, the mighty mouse doesn't have enough functionality for me. I've got a 17" iMac Core Solo, so I'm behind the times, but I love iMacs.

^
agreed.

the only thing i can add is...your going to enjoy leopard. i own a macbook 2.0 core2duo w/ 2gb of ram. It runs most apps great excluding final cut...but thats sorta expected.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']

And Joliet Jake, thank you for not turning this into a bash Mac thread, no one really cares about yours or anyones stance on the subject.
[/quote]
fuck you too, pooky.;)

[quote name='tehweezner']the 2.8ghz version is $1800 on amazon... wow.

just for kicks i spec'd out a PC with that budget:

26" Doublesight monitor $720
Intel Quad-core Q6600 $220
Abit IP35 Pro $180
8GB Corsair DDR800 $198
Thermaltake 500W PSU $60
XFX 8800GT 512MB $180
500GB Samsung Spinpoint $90
Coolermaster Centurion case $55
Samsung 20x DVD writer $30

after shipping it comes out to $1747. obviously that doesn't include OS or software, but you get the picture. and if all those specs above is like reading another language, trust me it's verrry nice.

i'm not knocking macs, i think they're very slick looking and have pretty decent components. but holy crap you could have an amazing PC for that much money :hot::rofl:[/quote]

I feel the same way...my friend has a Macbook Pro, and I love using it, and I want my own, but i just cant justify buying one myself when my current PC is much better and was only 1750$

[quote name='tehweezner']i'm not knocking macs, i think they're very slick looking and have pretty decent components. but holy crap you could have an amazing PC for that much money :hot::rofl:[/QUOTE]

Not to start a format war, but I would rather spend $3,000 on a Mac then have an amazing PC given to me for free.

hey if you have 33,000 you can have the ultimate super computer from apple hahah then again if i spent 33,000 on a computer from apple Steve Jobs better hand deliver that thing to me

Tests have proven Macs run better at the same price point, even with lower specs. I believe it was in Popular Mechanics, but I could be wrong. All I know is the article changed my outlook on life.

[quote name='TimPV3']Tests have proven Macs run better at the same price point, even with lower specs. I believe it was in Popular Mechanics, but I could be wrong. All I know is the article changed my outlook on life.[/quote]

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/reviews/4258725.html?page=2

the issue i have is that for the desktop test they use the Gateway One which is an overpriced all-in-one unit that is trying to steal some of Apple's "ooh pretty" marketshare. a traditional desktop setup in that price range would yield much different results.

I have the 13.3" White Macbook (2.2ghz Santa Rosa CPU, 1GB of RAM, 120GB HDD, and a super drive). I bought it new 5 months ago with a student discount for $100 off.

I would upgrade RAM and/or hard drive but I pretty much only use FireFox, iChat, VLC, some CS3, and some emulators. The thing very rarely chugs. And I only hold my music and a few movies.

The functionality and the entire package that the Mac brings blows PC out of the water. The thing runs as fast now as when I bought it 5 months ago. And everything is extremely intuitive.

With the monster you ordered - you'll love it.

[quote name='Haggar']Not to start a format war, but I would rather spend $3,000 on a Mac then have an amazing PC given to me for free.[/quote]

O_O

Wow.

I am expecting my new 3.06 ghz 24" iMac on Tuesday to share TC's thrill, but I'm still very skeptical on buying all the games I have wanted to play on a Mac (like Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, Civ IV, Age of Empires III, and even Sim City 4) because I made the mistake of doing that with the iMac I have now (1 ghz, 17" 2nd gen) with Warcraft 3 with very laggy results, so I was just curious as to how this Mac handles these types of games, and if I should still expect some lag?

The other thing I wanted to figure out, is how this Mac running boot camp holds up when playing PC games... because if the PC equivalents of all the Mac ports are much faster, I may bog down and actually start buying PC games and play them in boot camp.

Anyone have any opinions on the matter? Seeing as how PC games are much much more economically viable than buying the Mac port, playing games in boot camp may be something I seriously look into, if there are significant speed increases.

The new Imac is great. Don't let poor asshats hate on you.

Stick with 2gb of ram though, for the fact that CS only recognizes up to 2gb of ram at a time.

I've got the 24" 2.4ghz with 3GB of RAM...best computer I've ever owned...by far.
Its very fast, the display is beautiful, and it runs almost completely silent.

You may want to skip the wireless keyboard because you will lose the use 2 USB ports on the wired keyboard and the number pad.

Thanks to everyone who posted, it arrived a little over 2 weeks ago, and I've been really happy with it. Got CS3 Extended installed & configured and I'm good to go for now.

I kept the standard config (24", 3.06GHz, 500GB HD, 2GB Ram) and only opted for the wireless keyboard & mouse. I'll get an AppleCare plan a few months from now and may up the ram down the line if I need it.

the iMac looks very nice. your dock needs to be like a thousand times larger, but to each his own.

That display is so hot. If you are going to be upgrading the ram, be sure to purchase the ram and install it yourself. apple loves to mark up their ram.

my desktop is here. dont have the best apps but it works.

bread's done
Back