Skies of Arcadia Legends - $14.99 (USED)

[quote name='bigdbo622']I've never ordered a used game from gamestop.com. How are they with shipping used games with original case/instructions?[/quote]

Quite frankly, horrible. (edit) Your best bet is to see if there is one in stock at your local GS and be able to inspect the packaging before buying.

How does this port compare to the DC version? Is it better on DC like Grandia II or does it hold up?

How does this port compare to the DC version? Is it better on DC like Grandia II or does it hold up?

It holds up very well. I own both, the GC version is a perfect port with some new material and I even found the difficulty ramped up in the GC version. Not too hard, but it wasn't as easy as the DC version. $15 is totally worth it (so long as Gamestop doesn't screw you on the case and manual part).

[quote name='pianoman3284']It holds up very well. I own both, the GC version is a perfect port with some new material and I even found the difficulty ramped up in the GC version. Not too hard, but it wasn't as easy as the DC version. $15 is totally worth it (so long as Gamestop doesn't screw you on the case and manual part).[/quote]

Good to know. There's at least one in stock at my local GS so I'm going to head there to avoid the dreaded "sleeve" and hopefully they'll have a complete copy. I find that RPGs are generally more reliable for getting cases and manuals so good luck to those rolling the dice online!

[quote name='rpepper']Good to know. There's at least one in stock at my local GS so I'm going to head there to avoid the dreaded "sleeve" and hopefully they'll have a complete copy. I find that RPGs are generally more reliable for getting cases and manuals so good luck to those rolling the dice online![/quote]

Thanks, best believe they are going right back if I get incomplete crap:bouncy:

There are a couple of EB/Gamestop locations around me that have this in stock. Since I never finished it on the Dreamcast and because I'm looking forward to Valkyria Chronicles which cameos Vise in it and is made by the same team I think, I'll definitely be picking this up.

[quote name='pianoman3284']It holds up very well. I own both, the GC version is a perfect port with some new material and I even found the difficulty ramped up in the GC version. Not too hard, but it wasn't as easy as the DC version. $15 is totally worth it (so long as Gamestop doesn't screw you on the case and manual part).[/QUOTE]

I seem to remember there being a lot of random encounters in the DC version. Is that still the case with the GC version? I called 2 stores before I found one that was complete with the manual and original box.

[quote name='pianoman3284']It holds up very well. I own both, the GC version is a perfect port with some new material and I even found the difficulty ramped up in the GC version. Not too hard, but it wasn't as easy as the DC version. $15 is totally worth it (so long as Gamestop doesn't screw you on the case and manual part).[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. I have both and have played both and it does hold up very well. It's a steal for $15 as long as you get everything with it.

:bomb: I'm really tempted by this.
Turn based RPG, right?
Isn't it really long.. like 40-50+ hours kind of long??

EDIT: ALSO!! Don't forget to use coupon CAG16 for 16% off. If you buy more, use SAVER for free shipping (has to be $25 or more)

[quote name='neckfurters']I seem to remember there being a lot of random encounters in the DC version. Is that still the case with the GC version? I called 2 stores before I found one that was complete with the manual and original box.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the excessive random encounters were "fixed" for the GC version.

Other than that, the only other thing worth getting this version for is that there were some side-quests added that were previously only available by going online with your DC.

[quote name='lilboo']:bomb: I'm really tempted by this.
Turn based RPG, right?
Isn't it really long.. like 40-50+ hours kind of long??[/quote]

it's about 40 - 50 hours. and it is turn-based. the ship battles are a nice mix though.

[quote name='Cloggerdude']I'm pretty sure the excessive random encounters were "fixed" for the GC version.[/quote]
Yeah, "fixed." The rate was turned down a bit, but it's still rather noticeable. That and now you can't expect them since the Dreamcast would make loud ass noises while loading, whereas the GameCube is silent.

I'm going to check in store. I have a copy but without the case or manual because I picked it up from a gamecrazy. I own it on both systems and it's a great game if you are willing to try out turn-based rpgs.

I got a complete one from GS a few weeks ago when they had the buy 2 get 1 free. (although I it was $19.99 back then)

Sad part is... I still haven't played it.

Thanks for the heads up Tsukento! Price tag was 19.99 but rang up as 14.99. Found one with case, manual and disc in good condition.

Hmm, I played both and found the Gamecube version to have absolutely horrible music quality. Something about it sounded really off, like it was re-recorded onto a cassette tape through a microphone.

Also the Gamecube version is obviously missing the Pinta minigame, although that's not as big of a deal.

[quote name='Cloggerdude']Other than that, the only other thing worth getting this version for is that there were some side-quests added that were previously only available by going online with your DC.[/QUOTE]
Err, I don't think the game had any downloadable extras on the Dreamcast. They actually added quite a few side missions to the Gamecube version that aren't in the Dreamcast one at all, like the competing pirates which were evil versions of the main characters and bounty hunting quests and the like.

[quote name='Edge']
Err, I don't think the game had any downloadable extras on the Dreamcast. They actually added quite a few side missions to the Gamecube version that aren't in the Dreamcast one at all, like the competing pirates which were evil versions of the main characters and bounty hunting quests and the like.[/quote]

It had downloadable weapons and a downloadable island. I think it was an island with some sort of egg on it, can't quite remember. I'm pretty sure it was all added to the GC version, though.

But yeah, I've got all the downloadable DC content on my VMUs still.

[quote name='Tsukento']Yeah, "fixed." The rate was turned down a bit, but it's still rather noticeable. That and now you can't expect them since the Dreamcast would make loud ass noises while loading, whereas the GameCube is silent.[/quote]

Call me weird but I the only time I found Skies of Arcadia Legends' encounter rate to be outstandingly high was in certain areas of the skies while in an airship. I never had a problem with the encounter rate beyond that. I played the Dreamcast version up until you get up until you get to a certain part of Valua and I didn't find the encounter rate outstandingly high.

Granted, I play a lot of RPGs, but still. I'm playing Tales of Symphonia right now, and IMO, if you were to battle every enemy that pops up around you as you run around on foot, the encounters are more frequent than what I remember of Skies of Arcadia in both versions.

Like I said, I do remember flying through some area in S.O.A., I think the area with lots of twisters, and I was getting encounters every 4 seconds, but other than that, I had no problem with it.

[quote name='Edge']Hmm, I played both and found the Gamecube version to have absolutely horrible music quality. Something about it sounded really off, like it was re-recorded onto a cassette tape through a microphone.

Also the Gamecube version is obviously missing the Pinta minigame, although that's not as big of a deal.

Err, I don't think the game had any downloadable extras on the Dreamcast. They actually added quite a few side missions to the Gamecube version that aren't in the Dreamcast one at all, like the competing pirates which were evil versions of the main characters and bounty hunting quests and the like.[/quote]

The audio was compressed to help get all the content to fit (I guess they wanted to save on costs by avoiding using multiple discs) on the tiny lil' DVD. Thats why the quality is inferior to the Dreamcast version. But again yeah, Legends is a director's cut with most of the missing content from the Dreamcast version and is the version I'd recommend unless you're an audiophile or you would like to see some girls showing more skin otherwise (some of the more scantily clad NPCs were given more conservative costumes in Legends)

[quote name='yoursisterspretty']After looking at the website it seems that almost all GC games received a price drop. Must be getting ready to clear them out...[/quote]

Doesn't make sense, with the Wii having 100% BC. You'd think that GC games would be getting a revival with all the people who didn't own one. People only care about the newest games; if it's a few months old it's like it never existed. That's a shame.

tried to buy 2, but only got the last one, so had to add a used okami to get enough $$ in cart to use saver. I hope I get complete.

I used code SAVER instead of PPlay15 because I figure to end up with somthing incomplete and since they dont refund shipping on returns, I'll just do a return/rebuy w/ d/c in store.

also I beleive there is a free 3 day shipping code out there, but couldnt find it.

Anyway,
Thanks OP, huge fan of the d/c version (one of my fav rpgs, if not #1) So I have to own both versions.

P.S. (give) - put the d/c version in a normal cd player for a little fun, at least this idiot found it amusing

PS.S. (take) - if anyone knows a way to get the dl stuff for the d/c version still let me know the place, I belive I still have the multi reader that reads vmus to the computer laying around in a dusty box somewhere.

[quote name='yoursisterspretty']After looking at the website it seems that almost all GC games received a price drop. Must be getting ready to clear them out...[/quote]

Gamecube games are disappearing from all the targets around me. I'm trying to catch them on clearance. There are very few gamecube games at the gamestops as well.

[quote name='Vegan']Doesn't make sense, with the Wii having 100% BC. You'd think that GC games would be getting a revival with all the people who didn't own one. People only care about the newest games; if it's a few months old it's like it never existed. That's a shame.[/quote]
It's more among the lines of the Wii's "innovation" still having an effect on non-gamers. They want the games that "make them move around." Most people who own a Wii and are gamers have likely already bout the GameCube games they needed already.

As far as turn based RPG's go, this game is outstanding. I bought it brand new for my 'cube years ago and it is still one of my all time favorite titles.
If you like the genre at all and want to invest in an excellent example of it I can't encourage you enough to get this game, I liked it that much.

that's good for us then :D

Decided to pick this up along with P.N.03 using the 16% off coupon, I played SoA on Dreamcast and loved it (one of my all time favorite RPGs) and I've been meaning to pick up the GC version for years. Hopefully I'll get lucky and get cases but I figured since I waited this long I can't worry too much about it.

I was at Gamestop yesterday and noticed the same thing. Prices on most (not all) had dropped. I would guess 15 - 20% as the average.

[quote name='mogamer']I was at Gamestop yesterday and noticed the same thing. Prices on most (not all) had dropped. I would guess 15 - 20% as the average.[/QUOTE]

Well they were over priced by at least that much to begin with. The Nintendo published titles especially, $40 for Mario Kart Double Dash? Gimmie a break

Heads up! It's showing as OOS now. Just hit the page to see if there was still one in stock at my local GS (worked late last night and didn't get there). Luckily there is!

"It will be mine...oh yes, it will be mine." - Wayne Campbell, Aurora, IL

[quote name='rpepper']Heads up! It's showing as OOS now. Just hit the page to see if there was still one in stock at my local GS (worked late last night and didn't get there). Luckily there is![/quote]

Be careful though. This just dropped in price, because it was showing up at $20 when I checked the site last night. So chances are that many GS stores haven't updated the stickers and might try to charge the $20 price.

[quote name='lilboo']BF called and said he found one for $15 (he went to like 5 stores)..sadly, no artwork & manual :bomb:[/quote]

Where in south jersey do you live? I know they have one in Moorestown, I couldn't justify spending another 15 after getting Beyond Good & Evil two days earlier.

bread's done
Back