EA IS THE DEVIL!!!!! NO MORE ESPN FOOTBALL GAMES !!!

dreamvsps2

CAGiversary!
EA signs exclusive football deal

Mon Dec 13, 2004 04:44 PM ET
LOS ANGELES, Dec 13 (Reuters) - Video game publisher Electronic Arts Inc. (ERTS.O: Quote, Profile, Research) on Monday said it has signed an exclusive deal with the National Football League and the league's players, giving EA sole rights to put NFL players and teams in its games.

Terms of the five-year deal were not disclosed.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Looks like ESPN has no choice but stay at the $20 pricepoint. At least they know that they really ruffled EA's feathers

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?
Weaksauce. RIP ESPN NFL.

Actually the more I think about his the more genuinely upset I'm getting. Yup, I'm now at the point where my blood is curdling. EA shuts down the high quality, low price ESPN series, and it's now free to sell its games at 50$ without fear of competition. BS indeed.

It's not true.

You people are gullible. Gamespot reported it was about to happen but both the NFL and EA deny it.

Both EA and the NFL Players Association have denied reports that they are working on an exclusive deal for player rights licensing. The Sports Business Journal, which broke the news, has retracted its original story.

The report alleged that EA and the NFL Players Association were in the last phases of negotiation for a four-year contract at $250 million, which would enable the mega publisher to have exclusive rights to NFL player names.

I wonder how much it cost EA to sign that deal... and boy is that slightly monoplistic. That honestly disgusts me. Competition is a GOOD thing.

[quote name='RichD1']It's not true.

You people are gullible. Gamestop reported it was about to happen but both the NFL and EA deny it.[/quote]

Link?

i got it form the ign boards so COULD be wrong, but keep in mind that not long ago theres was a rumor about the same subject but both ea and nfl denied it.

Thanks for the links, I feel much better knowing its not true.

Edit: Damnit, now there are two links confirming that its true. So is it true or not?

I want a link first before I believe it. I thought Sega was already planning for the next couple years and that most likely next year's titles would also be $20 to eat up more of EA's market share. Very sad if it's true. EA just doesn't want competition which is not right. Isn't there something against this. Aren't they creating a monopoly or breaking anti-trust laws or something of that nature?

[quote name='dreamvsps2']http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=7079814

link biatches[/quote]

Holly Shiznit! Well atleast SEGA can say it actually did damage to EA by selling ESPN at $19.99

No more NFL Blitz :eek: either...atleast not with real football players.

[quote name='RichD1']When news is on ea or nfl.com, then I'll believe it.[/quote]

You're saying you don't believe Reuters over game industry sites with outdated articles? :roll:

Sounds like this might not be a done deal yet, but if it happens, you can be assured that Madden (and other EA sports games - if other leagues follow suit) will start to slip in quality. Competition is always good for any industry and the quality of product that is put out. This will be sad if it's true. I would think the NFL/players association could get more $$$ from multiple sources than if they were to sign an exclusive deal with EA. Then again, maybe I am underestimating EA's willingness to spend $$$$$$$$.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='RichD1']When news is on ea or nfl.com, then I'll believe it.[/quote]

You're saying you don't believe Reuters over game industry sites with outdated articles? :roll:[/quote]

Do you understand what ea.com and nfl.com are? They're not game industry sites. I suppose you believed Rathergate, eh Gothic?

I think I'm going to boycott the Madden series now but it really doesn't matter since I don't buy that series. It's too much and is just the same stuff year after year after year. Better just to get a 2003/2004 used for real cheap than pay for the same thing with a little better roster for antoher $50. not to mention they kind of gte boring fast.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I think I'm going to boycott the Madden series now but it really doesn't matter since I don't buy that series. It's too much and is just the same stuff year after year after year. Better just to get a 2003/2004 used for real cheap than pay for the same thing with a little better roster for antoher $50. not to mention they kind of gte boring fast.[/quote]

fuck that. I'd boycott EA completely.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='RichD1']When news is on ea or nfl.com, then I'll believe it.[/quote]

You're saying you don't believe Reuters over game industry sites with outdated articles? :roll:[/quote]

:rofl: P'wned, or whatever it is. Though, truly, this is nothing to laugh about. fuck this.

myke.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I think I'm going to boycott the Madden series now but it really doesn't matter since I don't buy that series. It's too much and is just the same stuff year after year after year. Better just to get a 2003/2004 used for real cheap than pay for the same thing with a little better roster for antoher $50. not to mention they kind of gte boring fast.[/quote]

I haven't bought a Madden game for full price ever in my life. The only one I own is Madden 96 for Genny, given to me by a friend, and Madden '03 which I picked up for $1. I'm up for a boycott, although it probably won't do anything to them...

Ahh, the smell of monopoly. They tried to do this years ago when NFL Quaterback club came out for N64, and ended up being a better game. Unfortunately, Quarterback clubs, follow up was a POS and Madden was back in control. Oh well.

LOS ANGELES, Dec 13 (Reuters) - Video game publisher Electronic Arts Inc. (ERTS.O: Quote, Profile, Research) on Monday said it has signed an exclusive deal with the National Football League and the league's players, giving EA sole rights to put NFL players and teams in its games.

Terms of the five-year deal were not disclosed.

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuo...=mtfh57483_2004-12-13_21-44-54_wen1173_newsml

Crazy :shock: wonder what VC will do now.

[quote name='Rig'][quote name='hiccupleftovers']I think I'm going to boycott the Madden series now but it really doesn't matter since I don't buy that series. It's too much and is just the same stuff year after year after year. Better just to get a 2003/2004 used for real cheap than pay for the same thing with a little better roster for antoher $50. not to mention they kind of gte boring fast.[/quote]

I haven't bought a Madden game for full price ever in my life. The only one I own is Madden 96 for Genny, given to me by a friend, and Madden '03 which I picked up for $1. I'm up for a boycott, although it probably won't do anything to them...[/quote]

The only Madden that I have picked up new was Madden 99 for PSone on clearance for 10 dollars. The other football games that I have are NFL2k for Dreamcast (bought on the day it came out and would do so again. One of the few football game IMo that is close to perfection. I don't regret paying full price for it) and NFL2k3 for PS2 which I picked up on clearance at Target, which isn't too bad.

[quote name='big_squirtle']Ahh, the smell of monopoly. They tried to do this years ago when NFL Quaterback club came out for N64, and ended up being a better game. Unfortunately, Quarterback clubs, follow up was a POS and Madden was back in control. Oh well.[/quote]

Actually, it was the other way around. Acclaim got exclusive rights to the NFL license for 1997 on N64 so QBC '98 was the only NFL game on N64 and EA released Madden on 64 as Madden 64 without the NFL license (but it had the player's license).

bread's done
Back