Hey CAGs, how can I get the most out of these trade-ins?

Solid-Snake-Eyes

Do not touch.
Feedback
61 (100%)
Hey, guys. I want to trade in these games and wondered what my best option is. I know there's EB which doesn't seem to offer much, but I could use their trade-in value toward my MGS4 purchase. There is also BlockBuster but I don't want to have credit there if I can help it. And then there are the various small used game shops that will give you cash, but it's usually peanuts. Can someone give me some advice? I'm leaning toward checking out a small time used game store and hoping for the best. These titles are probably not very desirable.

Red Steel (Wii)
Excite Truck (Wii)
Warhawk without headset (PS3)
Motorstorm (PS3)

Thank you for any input, I'd really appreciate it.

$20 for Mario Kart DS, I'll take advantage of that. The rest of the games I listed plus some of my DS carts get about $8-$13, I suppose that would be worth trading in toward MGS4. $8 for Motorstom, ouch! Does anyone know if I can trade in for credit at one EB and then apply that credit toward a purchase at another location? Like will they put credit on an Edge card or is that for special circumstances? Thanks a lot. The reason I ask is I'll be in Kingston over the weekend and it would be convenient to do a trade-in at that location, but I live in Toronto.

I'll just stop in tomorrow, getting together with my family in Kingston over the weekend and we usually get brunch at Denny's which is right next to an EB. If they put it on an Edge card then I'd definitely be able to redeem the credit at any location, I assume. :cool:

If you have 3 games that are worth $8 or more trade in credit you can get MGS4 from just trading in those 3 games. You can probably get MGS4 paid off easier that way. But you must do it at a location where you can pick it up on that day.

[quote name='Princess Zelda']If you have 3 games that are worth $8 or more trade in credit you can get MGS4 from just trading in those 3 games. You can probably get MGS4 paid off easier that way. But you must do it at a location where you can pick it up on that day.[/quote]
Hmm, would that apply to the MGS4 Limited Edition as well? I guess even if you had 3 games worth $20 you'd be breaking even, but I suppose the smarter move would be to use 3 games closest to the minimum $8 and then trade the valuable ones for additional credit. In a deal like that would they refund my $5 pre-order deposit or what?

Update, I checked their online flyer, deal doesn't apply to the Limited Edition.

i dont believe it works on the limited edition, i think you would have to pay off the difference.

So your best bet is to use the ones closest ones to 8 bucks to get the game and then use the ones worth 20 to get the limited edition

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Hmm, would that apply to the MGS4 Limited Edition as well? I guess even if you had 3 games worth $20 you'd be breaking even, but I suppose the smarter move would be to use 3 games closest to the minimum $8 and then trade the valuable ones for additional credit. In a deal like that would they refund my $5 pre-order deposit or what?

Update, I checked their online flyer, deal doesn't apply to the Limited Edition.[/quote]

Hey! It does apply to the Limited Edition! Just so you know, I don't want you going in there and not getting what you want.

The only difference is, if you get the LE, you have to add an additional $10!

[quote name='Rex']Hey! It does apply to the Limited Edition! Just so you know, I don't want you going in there and not getting what you want.

The only difference is, if you get the LE, you have to add an additional $10![/quote]
Are you sure? In their online flyer it said that this offer only applies to SKU blabla which I assume is the regular edition SKU because that was the one pictured in the ad.

I heard Tetris DS was rare now but I checked on eBay a while ago and there were a lot on there, not going for that much money. Maybe I'll just hang on to it anyway. But I'll definitely get rid of Mario Kart DS for $20.

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Are you sure? In their online flyer it said that this offer only applies to SKU blabla which I assume is the regular edition SKU because that was the one pictured in the ad.

I heard Tetris DS was rare now but I checked on eBay a while ago and there were a lot on there, not going for that much money. Maybe I'll just hang on to it anyway. But I'll definitely get rid of Mario Kart DS for $20.

Thanks for the ideas, guys.[/quote]

A lot of people have pre-ordered MGS4 LE using the trade 3 promo and paying an additional $10+tax. You'll be fine.

I think the LE is $20 more actually. This is what you do:

- bring the games you want to EB
- ask them to scan the games
- trade in 3 games that are $8 or closest to $8 for MGS4 LE Trade 3
- trade in the other games worth more for credit to apply for the difference

I'm fairly sure the LE of any game in the Trade 3 offers is allowed

That's interesting, thanks a lot. I guess I'll try to do that at the location I pre-ordered. I'm out of town right now but brought some games I was going to trade in while I was here. Maybe I'll just get their values now and assume they will be the same in 2 weeks for MGS4.

Just my luck, the three games I had worth $8 or more were worth $19, $20, $22 (with the exception of $13 for Tetris DS.) The EB employee made it sound like the trade 3 would cover up to $69.99 of the MGS4 price so if I get that same deal in Toronto I suppose I would still be saving $9 on the trade 3. Unless I decide to give up Tetris DS. Actually in that might be worth it. I'll post the values he quoted in the EB thread, I guess.

Let's see, $19 game + $20 game + $13 tetris = $18 savings instead of $9 savings. I think I'll go with that, and then still have a $22 value game to trade in afterward.

Thanks for everyone's assistance. Sorry for rambling, just thinking out loud.

Dammit, the EB here in Kingston said I can trade 3 toward the Limited Edition MGS4 at a value of $69.99 but the Toronto location where I have it pre-ordered says no, you can't do that. And I looked around and found two $8 games to trade in along with my $13 Tetris DS. I would switch my order to Kingston and get the trade in but it's less than 2 weeks from release and my Toronto pre-order is from back in early April. I have a better chance at getting it in Toronto. Decisions...

Just read the title and skimmed the OP; but don't expect small time game stores to give you any more than EB, their bottom line is way more important since they're a small time place.

And the best way to get the most out of your trade-ins is by taking care of your games, if you lose the manual or whatever you deserve to be restricted from trading them in.

On a somewhat related note, I have some old last-gen games (PS2/XBOX/GC) that are worth pennies at EB. I'd like to donate them: does anyone know of any organizations that accept video games? They're harmless sports games as well, so children can play them.

I ended up with a pretty good result at the end of all this. I took the three lowest value games according to EB and got a lot more for them at this small time used game and cd place. I got $12 for Warhawk when EB told me $1, $6 for Beach Spikers (gamecube) after EB told me $2, and then $7 for Red Steel which was the same as EB told me. I used that money to buy two PS2 games at that store which were worth $8 according to the wiki. Then I gave those two games plus Tetris DS ($13 value at EB) to my brother so he could trade in for the regular edition of MGS4 and he paid me the $60 cash in return that he would have had to spend. Now I'm going to trade my 3 higher value games to my EB for $61 credit toward the LE.

This worked out well because originally I was going to just trade in those 3 higher games but this way I ended up paying for two copies of the game instead of one. The only thing I lost out on was that the Kingston store said the trade 3 would give a $69.99 value and we're only using it for my brother's $59.99 game. Thanks for the help with this thread, I wouldn't have figured it out without you guys.

bread's done
Back