PS3: Hori Fighting Stick 3 --- $29.99 @gamestop.com

[quote name='OGHowie']I can't use these ball joysticks. Hopefully another version will be released for SF4.[/quote]
Not too likely these days. Most sticks are made with the japanese ball joystick now as they are most popular with competitive gamers. The hardcore among us will just either create our own stick, have one built, or modify an existing stick to suit us. Just ask MarkMan or anyone else in the fighters thread.

Two stores near me have it, but I don't know if I should bite.
How does this compare to, say, the Tekken 5 anniversary stick? I know they are both HORI, but are they any different?

Also: Why the fuck isn't this part of the Game Days sale? It is one of the only accessories I'm interested in...blargh.

[quote name='tsunami_bomb3r']what kind of wired interface is it? wired/usb or ps2?[/QUOTE]

USB. I'm fairly sure the PS3 does not have PS2 controller ports.

[quote name='SDC']Two stores near me have it, but I don't know if I should bite.
How does this compare to, say, the Tekken 5 anniversary stick? I know they are both HORI, but are they any different?

Also: Why the fuck isn't this part of the Game Days sale? It is one of the only accessories I'm interested in...blargh.[/quote]
Almost exactly the same as the Tekken Stick except for it being usb. The button layout sucks for Tekken but is ok for most 2d fighters.

Closest location is around 30 miles away... with gas at $4.40/gal, not worth the drive.

It's a good thing I just bought it from buy.com for $28.99 after GCO. :)

[quote name='SDC']USB. I'm fairly sure the PS3 does not have PS2 controller ports.[/QUOTE]

true. but i considered the possibility that they went lazy/multipurposing with the usb/ps2 adapters that sony sells for the ps3

This fighting stick's pretty good, I picked one up for SF4 as well.

Unfortunately, PC compatibility (it's USB after all) is a toss up, with the majority of people reporting that it doesn't work with their systems. The select few that get it working have it as easy as plug and play.

Is this any better than the Tekken stick? The Tekken stick was ok but I thought the buttons were really light. I've never held a HRAP, though, so I guess I wouldn't really know the difference.

[quote name='Gosha']You can use this on the PC as well. You just plug it in and hit the HOME button and it'll detect it.[/quote]

Yes, but it sees the joystick as a hat control, so some games and emulators will need to be remapped accordingly.

crap, all the malls that have it are too far for me considering gas is so pricey right now. not worth the trip. i'll have to pass...

[quote name='OGHowie']I can't use these ball joysticks. Hopefully another version will be released for SF4.[/QUOTE]

You can easily change it into a bat top. Just go to http://www.lizardlickamusements.com
and order a Sanwa bat top and a Sanwa joystick adapter. All you need to do is hold the shaft in place with pliers, unscrew the top, put the adapter on the top of the shaft, and then screw the bat top on.

[quote name='RandyTsai']perfect for street fighter 4[/quote]

No it's not... it's good for virtual fighter series, but not SF series... quarter circles are hard to do.

[quote name='pinoyunggoy']according to kotaku, capcom is developing an arcade stick that would ship with SF4 that is "arcade perfect," so those of you looking into this hori deal may want to wait.

http://kotaku.com/5012551/new-details-on-street-fighter-ivs-home-versions[/quote]

thanks for the info, i think i'll wait for the new stick. The PS3 Hori stick is not recommended for SF, you'll regret, unless you got quick adjustment skills (some people do, they can play good regardless what kind of stick/pad, as long as they practice a bit).

[quote name='DarthPuma']Since I've never used a stick before in fighting games the layout wouldn't matter to me, right?[/quote]

Probably not, but the stiffness of the stick movement can mess up your intended combos (the button layout is fairly standard on the sticks).

[quote name='Serpentor']No it's not... it's good for virtual fighter series, but not SF series... quarter circles are hard to do.[/QUOTE]

You can easily swap the square gate out for an octagonal one.

[quote name='YOUR BASE']You can easily swap the square gate out for an octagonal one.[/QUOTE]

Aren't square-gates the norm for Japanese sticks anyway? It seems to me it isn't that they are bad, it is that people are used to American-style sticks.

[quote name='SDC']Aren't square-gates the norm for Japanese sticks anyway? It seems to me it isn't that they are bad, it is that people are used to American-style sticks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Japanese sticks usually use square gates; they aren't bad, they're just different and people don't seem to want to adjust. Hori should realize this and start releasing arcade sticks with bat tops and octagonal gates for North America, maybe this way they would actually sell instead of sitting on a shelf for months and going on clearance.

[quote name='YOUR BASE']Yeah, Japanese sticks usually use square gates; they aren't bad, they're just different and people don't seem to want to adjust. Hori should realize this and start releasing arcade sticks with bat tops and octagonal gates for North America, maybe this way they would actually sell instead of sitting on a shelf for months and going on clearance.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they thought of that already but it's probably more cost efficient to keep everything the same because then they won't have to change much on the assembly line. I don't the market for arcade sticks is too big here in the US anyway.

[quote name='mtgrungoblins']I'm sure they thought of that already but it's probably more cost efficient to keep everything the same because then they won't have to change much on the assembly line. I don't the market for arcade sticks is too big here in the US anyway.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that should be much of a problem since the parts are installed the same exact way, Hori also likes to make different versions of their arcade sticks with Sanwa parts. There might not be much of a market for arcade sticks in the US, but using parts unfamiliar to the US market is not helping them sell arcade sticks.

I don't have much experience at all playing with arcade sticks (just occasionally messin around at arcades), but I've kinda been wanting to buy a PS3 stick. I've gotten pretty accustomed to VF with a pad to this point, so I'm a little afraid that I'll buy an arcade stick and will play worse/never get used to it. Also sucks that this stick apparently doesn't work with PS2 games.

Well I guess I'll think about it and maybe drop by my GS later this week. Thanks for the heads up OP. :whistle2:k

bread's done
Back