SOCOM to come with BT headset ala Warhawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacknicklson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
197 (100%)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/09/03/official-bluetooth-headset-for-the-playstation-3/

Thanks to The Mana Knight for the update)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/09/03/official-bluetooth-headset-for-the-playstation-3/(Thanks
Hey everyone, I’m Anand Agarwal, Product Manager for PlayStation Peripherals. Two weeks ago, we informed you about the Wireless Keypad for PS3, and today we want to tell you more about the official Bluetooth Headset for PS3 that we unveiled during SOCOM Media day.

This headset will be offered in one retail version of SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation this October, as well as a standalone peripheral this fall. It features a prominent Mute button and a Charging Cradle. It will work with not only your PS3 but with Bluetooth enabled cell phones. But this is information that you already know about. Today we want to talk about some really cool features of this Headset that we have been working on behind the scenes. These features will be unlocked by the PS3 through a firmware update that is scheduled for this fall.

• The headset will feature “High-Quality (HQ) mode” with PS3. In this mode, the headset will take advantage of advanced voice technologies and noise cancellation techniques to provide clear and wideband voice input to the PS3. The HQ mode will ensure a much better voice chat quality on the PS3.
  • HQ mode will also enable accurate speech recognition required to support or enhance ‘Voice Command’ and ‘Voice Animation’ features. Voice Command was originally used in SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs for PS2 to administer the AI-controlled teammates using the WHO, WHAT, and WHERE format (example: Bravo, Attack, Nav Point Zulu). Voice Animation refers to the in-game character mimicking you during voice chat. With HQ mode, these features can be enabled on a much larger vocabulary in select PS3 games.
  • PS3 will display an in-game status indicator exclusively for this headset that will show the headset’s connection status, battery charge level, speaker volume level and microphone mute status.
  • Tired of wearing the headset during a long multiplayer gaming session or is your headset battery running out of charge? Just dock the headset in the supplied charging cradle, and the headset will work as a desktop microphone while charging.
  • Last but not least, the headset will automatically pair with the PS3 by connecting with a USB cable.
SCEA was one of the first companies to popularize VoIP technology within a console videogame through SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs for PS2. As you can see, we have made a great effort to expand on this legacy and develop the most compelling headset for the PS3 community. We are really excited to bring it to market this fall with the SOCOM: Confrontation bundle ($59.99 MSRP) and as a standalone peripheral ($49.99 MSRP).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a note though, that headset picture is just a rumor. The fact that Socom Confrontation will include a bluetooth headset is now confirmed (expected that, but it's nice to see a confirmation) with the boxed version. The picture is what was and still is speculated to be a new PS3 bluetooth headset, but still unsure if that will actually come with Socom or not.

That pic was pretty much dead on!

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/06/27/socom-headset-officially-revealed/

ps3_bluetooth_007.jpg

How much is the standalone game... is SOCOM going to be an online only game ala Warhawk? 80 dollars is pricey; I'll pay 20-30 dollars for the Headset w/ recharging stand... so now is the game worth 50-60 dollars... that's my question.

[quote name='Thomas96']How much is the standalone game... is SOCOM going to be an online only game ala Warhawk? 80 dollars is pricey; I'll pay 20-30 dollars for the Headset w/ recharging stand... so now is the game worth 50-60 dollars... that's my question.[/quote]

Gamestop has the game only for $40 and the bundle for $60.

Thanks for pointing it out mana. ;)

[quote name='StrandedBrit']Gamestop has the game only for $40 and the bundle for $60.

Thanks for pointing it out mana. ;)[/QUOTE]

20 is a good price for the headset... I'm in on the bundle.

I'll be picking this up for sure unless the game is no good. Which I doubt it won't be at least a solid game.

I've love a headset designed for the PS3. All the normal BT headsets just don't work properly for a console/pc.

Sidebar, the alpha vids on gametrailers look terrible. I'm surprised they showed them in the state they are in.

Having this headset available also means it's easier for non tech people to get a headset, and often it's those people who will want to play with and talk to friends in games.

I really hope they make this headset cheap (and package these in new PS3s). The one thing that I never really noticed until I watched one of my friends play cod4 on his 360 is how many don't have headsets on the PS3.

[quote name='chodax']I really hope they make this headset cheap (and package these in new PS3s). The one thing that I never really noticed until I watched one of my friends play cod4 on his 360 is how many don't have headsets on the PS3.[/QUOTE]Nope, the headset will not be cheap. If I remember correctly, it will be $50 standalone. And with the amount of money lost towards every PS3 sold, it will never happen unfortunately.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Nope, the headset will not be cheap. If I remember correctly, it will be $50 standalone. And with the amount of money loses towards every PS3 sold, it will never happen unfortunately.[/quote]

Yea I know but I can always hope :drool:

It's a nice looking headset but I don't know if I need another headset, the Warhawk one seems to be working fine.

Since I can't find an official topic for this game...

Does anyone know if there will something like branches for clans? I don't want to join one w/o RL friends but only a few RL friends actually even have a PS3...Branching off another clan would really be cool.

Hmm...should I preorder game only or spend $20 more and get the headset too? I already have the Warhawk bundle (gave the headset away too cuz it was shit) and bought a high end Plantronics Bluetooth Headset for $80. Should I just use my Plantronics or preorder for the Socom one?

There's word that the SOCOM headset bundle will cost $80.

Not only that, the headset you have still likely be superior to the PS3 specific one. However, the PS3 specific one has a USB charge stand and you could keep it as your PS3 specific headset, always charged. Then you can use your other headset for other things.

that's great, i've been meaning to pick up a headset for my PS3, and I wanted to get this game anyway, Win Win :)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/09/03/official-bluetooth-headset-for-the-playstation-3/
Hey everyone, I’m Anand Agarwal, Product Manager for PlayStation Peripherals. Two weeks ago, we informed you about the Wireless Keypad for PS3, and today we want to tell you more about the official Bluetooth Headset for PS3 that we unveiled during SOCOM Media day.

PS3 Bluetooth

This headset will be offered in one retail version of SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation this October, as well as a standalone peripheral this fall. It features a prominent Mute button and a Charging Cradle. It will work with not only your PS3 but with Bluetooth enabled cell phones. But this is information that you already know about. Today we want to talk about some really cool features of this Headset that we have been working on behind the scenes. These features will be unlocked by the PS3 through a firmware update that is scheduled for this fall.

* The headset will feature “High-Quality (HQ) mode” with PS3. In this mode, the headset will take advantage of advanced voice technologies and noise cancellation techniques to provide clear and wideband voice input to the PS3. The HQ mode will ensure a much better voice chat quality on the PS3.

* HQ mode will also enable accurate speech recognition required to support or enhance ‘Voice Command’ and ‘Voice Animation’ features. Voice Command was originally used in SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs for PS2 to administer the AI-controlled teammates using the WHO, WHAT, and WHERE format (example: Bravo, Attack, Nav Point Zulu). Voice Animation refers to the in-game character mimicking you during voice chat. With HQ mode, these features can be enabled on a much larger vocabulary in select PS3 games.

* PS3 will display an in-game status indicator exclusively for this headset that will show the headset’s connection status, battery charge level, speaker volume level and microphone mute status.

* Tired of wearing the headset during a long multiplayer gaming session or is your headset battery running out of charge? Just dock the headset in the supplied charging cradle, and the headset will work as a desktop microphone while charging.

* Last but not least, the headset will automatically pair with the PS3 by connecting with a USB cable.

SCEA was one of the first companies to popularize VoIP technology within a console videogame through SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs for PS2. As you can see, we have made a great effort to expand on this legacy and develop the most compelling headset for the PS3 community. We are really excited to bring it to market this fall with the SOCOM: Confrontation bundle ($59.99 MSRP) and as a standalone peripheral ($49.99 MSRP).

Sounds great. Definitely want this myself. :D

Why do I get the feeling that the same update that adds in those headset features will also standardize the voice chat system across PSN games, and perhaps add things like voice messages and private chat while playing games?

I think at least one of these voice based features will make an appearance in that update.

Nice. I gave up trying to use my BT headset with my PS3 because the connectivity was so wonky but I might give this one a whirl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back