CAGcast #121: The QAGcast

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Cheapy and Wombat sound off on Metal Gear Solid 4 review restrictions, PS3's Qore, new releases, the latest video game industry and shopping news, your CAGbag questions and much more!

Review us on iTunes!
Catch CheapyD Monday Evenings on ScrewAttack's Hard News

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast121.mp3[/media]Download - 95 minutes, 38MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]
Past CAGcasts

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Picture (Deep Fried Ham Sandwich):

By popular request, bjwoodruff's CAGs On News Theme Song
[media]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/podcast/cagsonews.mp3[/media]

Nothing like Early Friday Morning Cagcasts, and a double heaping of Wombat within eight hours. Listening right now....

Chocolate Cotton Candy.......interesting.

Awesome! I was just to ask you guys about Qore too!

Also, that sammich make me hungry. I gonna eat some dinnah den go listen me sum CAGcast!

Shalom my jew brothas,

Great show. About Rick Perry, yeah, he's crazy. I'm a texan, and seriously, he's awful, totally in bed with the insurance companies and the religious right. He's even worse than our old governor. Yeah that governor. I won't go on a political rant, but yeah, im disapointed he was even considered for the e3 keynote.

Also, I want to be the asshole who corrects wombat, but he's pretty much half right. the only thing is that the puritans weren't the first folks here, obviously, and the founding fathers were a religiously diverse group. Jefferson would be considered a godless commie in todays standards (he owned a Koran!!!!) and Adams, along with others, were deists. So yeah, the question of religious in America is kind of complicated.

yeah.

"I'm David Abrams from Cheapassgamer and a Jew... See you in hell governor!"

Frisky Tanuki's long list of questions was quite funny as well as Simon D I's
Good lord Cheapy, A shot of Love is awful.

well cheapy i would yell at you for watching a shot at love but i as watching it before work the other day and found it to be quite funny.but now back on track good show this week even with wombat jr. just around the corner wombat seemed into recording the show.awsome 10/10 guys.

[quote name='udabenshen']Shalom my jew brothas,

Also, I want to be the asshole who corrects wombat, but he's pretty much half right. the only thing is that the puritans weren't the first folks here, obviously, and the founding fathers were a religiously diverse group. Jefferson would be considered a godless commie in todays standards (he owned a Koran!!!!) and Adams, along with others, were deists. So yeah, the question of religious in America is kind of complicated.

governor!"[/QUOTE]

thanks man, i herd wombat in the podcast and had to come strait here to correct him... and i would like to add that the founding fathers were not actually christian in the way we think of christian, i dont remember what they were called ( it has been 2 years since i took history) but my professor described them as believing we were like a pin ball and god just pulled the little knob thingy but what ever happened after that was man's doing.... and also the pilgrims did come to america for religious freedom but not "more religion"..... there was plenty of religion in england..... but pilgrims were a part of a bigger group called Calvinist including pilgrims, puritans, and presbetarians.
puritans wanted to purify the church of england... failed and left for the netherlands (this is why they are called the pennsylvania dutch) then settled in mass. and mygrated down to penn. and rhode island, pilgrams landed in the south and really did not do much beside b**** slap the american indians, and never learned about Presbyterians( except my whole family is presbetarian)

^my governor sucks^

:lol: I loved Wombat calling Cheapy a dick for not looking forward to Lego Indiana Jones.

About Metal Gear Online: There is a Starter Pack that's included with MGS4, which includes five maps and a bunch of modes and other content. Kojima Productions plans to do expansion packs for it to add new maps, modes, and such. There's the possibility that they take all the DLC and the starter pack and release it all as a full package, but they've not made any announcements about that.

I think one of the things you're missing about Qore is that Future Publishing (makers of the PlayStation: The Official Magazine) is in charge of it and they employ Veronica Belmont. It has a chance of going either, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

The thing about PS Blog comments is that there are a ton of people that will shit over everything, even post their complains in posts that has nothing to do with them, and they even try to hastily set up boycotts (in that they wouldn't buy any paid content, but still download the free stuff) in anger over the late PS Update.

Gears of War II a girlfriend-friendly game? I'm interested in how they pull it off.

Cheapy, you liked the Nintendo Press Conference because you were in their press video montage.

I'm looking at CAG through by iPod right now and just noticed the new episode was up, thankfully my iPod uploaded this episode while it was charging. I haven't listened to the show yet but cheapy are you planning on getting the iPhone since its finally coming to japan?

[quote name='SuxoR']Awesome episode

man anyone else picture thornbahn3 AS the meatball?
[/QUOTE]
Actually I look more like the figure in black in my sig.

[quote name='Ragekod']I'm looking at CAG through by iPod right now and just noticed the new episode was up, thankfully my iPod uploaded this episode while it was charging. I haven't listened to the show yet but cheapy are you planning on getting the iPhone since its finally coming to japan?[/QUOTE]

When you listen to the Cagcast, you'll know just how funny this post is.

[quote name='udabenshen']Also, I want to be the asshole who corrects wombat, but he's pretty much half right. the only thing is that the puritans weren't the first folks here, obviously, and the founding fathers were a religiously diverse group. Jefferson would be considered a godless commie in todays standards (he owned a Koran!!!!) and Adams, along with others, were deists. So yeah, the question of religious in America is kind of complicated.
[/quote]

Wow, I don't even know where to begin. :bomb:

Wombat is 100% correct when he was talking about the Puritans. The Puritans were basically crazy religious nutjobs who hated the Church of England and believed that European Christians were going to hell becuase they were evil and corrupt.

Sadly this Puritan God centered politico-social dynamic still exists in American Society.

I am an Atheist and I believe many of the Christian-right are hypocrites. Many of them choose to denounce homosexuality and abortions becuase of the Bible yet they leave many other inconvenient parts of the Bible out. Here's a entertaining clip about this you should watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWqgD7lGneU

To udabenshen, what is your problem with people who posses Korans and why the hell (ha ha) do you think "Jefferson would be considered a godless commie"?
Stay in school and try to open your mind.

AND great Cagcast as usual. Everyone should try out the awesome new Civilization Revolutions demo that came out on the Xbox 360 yesterday.

I totally agree with Cheapy's assessment of LEGO Indiana Jones, yeah it's pretty much the same game as the star wars one. So thankfully that was a rental.

[quote name='udabenshen']Jefferson would be considered a godless commie in todays standards (he owned a Koran!!!!) [/quote]I'd say that Jefferson was (in Dante's terms) a virtuous pagan.

Qore is the equivalent of Xbox Live Gold? Uh, no. Xbox Live Gold is a $50 requirement in order to play games online. You don't have to subscribe to Qore to play games online--or get the demos, themes, and videos that were already free. The free demos are still going up on the service--check the listings for this week.

It's really the same thing Sony did with Playstation Underground on the PS2. It was a subscription to a disc-based magazine that had exclusive content, demos, betas, etc. It was pretty sweet--I got into the SOCOM beta and scored a free network adapter as a result of the program.

Also--Veronica Belmont.

(oh, and I think Wombat meant that Major Nelson was on the "iFanboy" podcast, not "The Fanboys"--we wouldn't have him ;) )

[quote name='mik']Qore is the equivalent of Xbox Live Gold? Uh, no. Xbox Live Gold is a $50 requirement in order to play games online. You don't have to subscribe to Qore to play games online--or get the demos, themes, and videos that were already free. The free demos are still going up on the service--check the listings for this week.

It's really the same thing Sony did with Playstation Underground on the PS2. It was a subscription to a disc-based magazine that had exclusive content, demos, betas, etc. It was pretty sweet--I got into the SOCOM beta and scored a free network adapter as a result of the program.

Also--Veronica Belmont.

(oh, and I think Wombat meant that Major Nelson was on the "iFanboy" podcast, not "The Fanboys"--we wouldn't have him ;) )[/QUOTE]

Actually it was niether it was Fanboy Radio, sorry for the confusion

[quote name='mik']Qore is the equivalent of Xbox Live Gold? Uh, no. Xbox Live Gold is a $50 requirement in order to play games online. You don't have to subscribe to Qore to play games online--or get the demos, themes, and videos that were already free. The free demos are still going up on the service--check the listings for this week.

Also--Veronica Belmont.

(oh, and I think Wombat meant that Major Nelson was on the "iFanboy" podcast, not "The Fanboys"--we wouldn't have him ;) )[/QUOTE]

Definantely not the equivalent of Xbox Live Gold. The 360 equivalent of this would be those Inside Xbox videos. Which are free for even Silver accounts. Qore is like paying for Sony advertisements.

On the next cagcast can Wombat spend the whole show talking about the chocolate buffet? My mouth was drooling from what I hear.

Damn you Wombat, you were in Boston?? we could've had a mini-CAG meetup or something. i could've shown you around downtown or something. oh well, maybe next time.

Cheapy, Path of the Acolyte???? ya WUSS! :p

FYI, The Konami event you guys mentioned was the one where some journalists played the entire MGS4 game in a retreat in Japan. Shane from EGM said it was like a big hotel except noone else was there except them. They also got to speak with Kojima face to face about their thoughts about the game.

[quote name='dsingh2007']
To udabenshen, what is your problem with people who posses Korans and why the hell (ha ha) do you think "Jefferson would be considered a godless commie"?
Stay in school and try to open your mind.
.[/QUOTE]

I think it is called sarcasm

Wombat & Ms.- since you guys are so close remember this tip: the proteins in semen can trigger pregnancy when it has contacted with the cervix. So if Ms. Wombat is complaining about being pregnant you could always offer a sexy remedy.

the meat on that sandwich looks under cooked. oh and cheapy are u gonna get the iphone now that it has been announced for the iphone

Quick clarifier CheapyD and Wombat:

You guys are really offbase with your obviously uneducated take on Qore

This is not put on by SCEA or Sony!!! Its by Future Publishings, not Sony

you mentioned all the bad and NONE of the good, no mention of exclusive SOCOM Beta, no mention of Calling All Cars for free with supscription. No mention that you can obviously still play online for free.

How you can compare this XBOX Gold is ridiculous!

Its basically an online magazine, with exclusive content, for $25/year.

Yeah! cheapy and wombat make my Friday work days not so suckie! it's like sunday church.

On Gone Baby Gone though i thought the moral delima was BS. Cassie made the WRONG decision. I won't give anything away, but for those who've seen the movie, they will know what I mean. I couldn't believe that that was the big thing for the movie. i was glad i didn't spend any money to see the movie.

[quote name='smurfbob']thanks man, i herd wombat in the podcast and had to come strait here to correct him... and i would like to add that the founding fathers were not actually christian in the way we think of christian, i dont remember what they were called ( it has been 2 years since i took history) but my professor described them as believing we were like a pin ball and god just pulled the little knob thingy but what ever happened after that was man's doing.... and also the pilgrims did come to america for religious freedom but not "more religion"..... there was plenty of religion in england..... but pilgrims were a part of a bigger group called Calvinist including pilgrims, puritans, and presbetarians.
puritans wanted to purify the church of england... failed and left for the netherlands (this is why they are called the pennsylvania dutch) then settled in mass. and mygrated down to penn. and rhode island, pilgrams landed in the south and really did not do much beside b**** slap the american indians, and never learned about Presbyterians( except my whole family is presbetarian)

^my governor sucks^[/quote]

The term you're looking for is Deist. Deism is the philosophy where one believes that the Creator manifested the physical universe, set it in motion, and no longer interferes.

On another history note, Pennsylvania Dutch is actually a corruption of Deutsch, referring to the settlers there who spoke German. These settlers were primarily Lutheran in origin while the Puritans and their ilk were Calvinist in origin.

The previous discussions of religious freedom have been pretty much correct. One of the primary reasons for putting religious freedom in the Constitution was not specific for the freedom to practice Christianity, or Judaism, or atheism, but so that Christian sects could have freedom from other Christian sects, who were, and in some ways still are, battling with each other. For example, IIRC, the Baptists were being discouraged by other Christian groups against spreading their religion to the slaves and they wanted to make sure that the government could not restrict how they spread their religion.

Sorry about all that, it's rare that I get to put my History BA to use on the Cheap Ass Gamer forum. :D

I wanted to thank CheapyD for using the intro music from Hero's Quest (Quest for Glory for those who know it from after the 1st edition). From that first synthesized slam of the dragon's claw, I was back in memory lane, recalling the days of playing that game as a kid on my Tandy 1000.

[quote name='ShinAkumA21']CheapyD, if you want to easily catch up to the Metal Gear story line here a site for you http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Metal_Gear_Wiki it has all the information you need and if you cut through the cut scenes i'm going to hit u over the head with a BAT! lol[/quote]

Cheapy can also check out Gametrailer's Metal Gear Retrospectives. They've done the series from the original MG game all the way up to MG: PO right now. they're fantastic even tho they skipped some details.

I have to chime in on the Marketplace content issue.

There's a notion in marketing called the 'Gruen transfer', named after the architect of the original mall. The theory is that malls are purposefully designed to disorient and confuse people. That's when you buy something else beyond what your original intent was. Why do you think all malls have anchor stores that don't have a direct line of sight? Why do people get lost in malls, or are unable to go directly to the store they want with negotiating escalators and passing by pretzel stands, sale signs and other goodies?

Now take this concept in the virtual shopping world. By getting lost in content; you might come across something in that big unorganized collection of media that is of interest to you. Buy it and you're succumbed to the ol' Gruen transfer.

I'm sure Microsoft knows this; I doubt they'll completely 'organize' their content so you can concisely pick what you want. It's bad business.

In response to DesertEagleXIX's post, I don't think the disorientation design works the same way when applied to an online store. With physical malls, there's the captive audience and the multisensory temptations for people to buy other products when they're wandering the mall. With an online store, I think if people can't find what they're looking for, they won't stop to buy something else, I think they just get fed up and go do something else.

Take Amazon for example, they may offer some preferred or promoted items on the front page, but their clear delineation of categories and a search tool demonstrate how they want to make it as easy as possible for people to find what they want to find. After the person finds what they want, Amazon tries to sell them related and complementary goods.

Cheapy I had to agree with you quality programming on MTV is awful, but it's addictive! I haven't watched MTV since Jackass and Wild Boyz. Yea your right if you been away from RW this is definitely good one to pick up. They threw the worst personalities and ex-druggies into Hollywood scene. The Tila impressions were HILARIOUS! Keep it up guys.

I just listened to one of your bit on screw attack, Cheapy, and is what you delivered what they are looking for? I don't see why they don't just give you a little more time and let you do things at a reasonable pace. They could at least give you a chance to take a breath.

Sometimes, the CAGCast needs to be a live show. That when, when Wombat fails American history, I can call up and call him a dumbass before Cheapy can give him props for knowing so much.

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that GoW2 would indeed have drop in & out co-op & the different difficulty setting for each player. I think it was in an interview with CliffyB.

On the topic of GH, i was just thinking about this the other day. I was wondering if on future games you would be able to access your previous downloadable content. I thought this would be a great idea because then the downloadable content would have more value. So even if you want to get rid of your GH3 disc then you can still play your content that you paid for. I don't know why activision wouldn't do this, cuz all it will do is help them make more money. Cuz people will be more likely to buy the new disc if they know its compatible with previous content & also they will be willing to buy more downloadable content. I recently purchased GH3 (from amazon when it was the deal of the day, thanks by the way) & i haven't bought any downloadable content yet, partially cuz there isn't much that i like & also cuz i didn't know if it would be worth it, i.e. will i be able to play it on GH4 or whatever. It just amazes me how something like this would be so simple for a company to do, yet they ignore it. How much would you like it to be able to play your previous GH content on your new GH game?

Oh & Wombat, while you wait for Afriqa i'll be wait for Kore. lol.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Sometimes, the CAGCast needs to be a live show. That when, when Wombat fails American history, I can call up and call him a dumbass before Cheapy can give him props for knowing so much.[/QUOTE]

How am I a dumbass? I said that Puritans emmigrated to this country because they felt that england wasnt religous enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puritans

And they did.

[quote name='tcolberg']
On another history note, Pennsylvania Dutch is actually a corruption of Deutsch, referring to the settlers there who spoke German. These settlers were primarily Lutheran in origin while the Puritans and their ilk were Calvinist in origin.
[/QUOTE]
thanks man could not think of what it was called i have not taken the class since my freshman year.... my bad on the penn. dutch thing i might have remembered it wrong my professor was kinda sarcastic and i some times could not tell if he was kindling or not
^and wombat was really close on history.....just a little skewed^

[quote name='Wombat']How am I a dumbass? I said that Puritans emmigrated to this country because they felt that england wasnt religous enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puritans

And they did.[/quote]

You called them the founders of our country and linked current events to them. Our founding fathers included a pretty large sum of atheists and is in no way connected to today's rash of religious politicians.

And I didn't really mean dumbass. I was just being facetious. :grouphug:

Cheapy I don't have a problem with politicians going on about how religious they are, but i do have a problem when they proceed to cheat on their wives, lie, solicit prostitutes and their interns, receive bribes, and extort. And then spend lots of money to cover it up. Wait a minute... why hasn't Rockstar made a video game of this?

This had best cagbag ever. Wombat sounded so sincere when he was talking about Cheapy's features. Unintentionally hilarious.

bread's done
Back