Disgaea: Afternoon Of Darkness - $27.99 NEW (Amazon.com)

[quote name='pcktlnt']Darn, I thought it was the PS2 version. Is the PSP one any different from the PS2?[/QUOTE]

you can play as Etna and...other stuff I guess.

I have the PS2 version I'd sell if you're interested. I'm not looking for very much since it has it's fair share of scratches (works perfectly though).

[quote name='pcktlnt']Darn, I thought it was the PS2 version. Is the PSP one any different from the PS2?[/quote]

There is more stuff in it/to do. There is a battle mode where you can go against a friend. Also, there is another story in the game where the girl accidentally kills the MC from the game and you control her instead of the MC. I'm pretty sure there are other stuff, but can't think of it right now at the top of my head

when in doubt, ask Wiki!
Afternoon of Darkness features extras over the original title such as a 16:9 format, to take advantage of the PSP's widescreen display. There is also a mode that focuses on Etna as the main character. In Etna Mode, Etna kills Laharl by accident while trying to wake him in the beginning of the game and thus becomes the main character. There are some extra boss battles such as Overlord Zetta from Makai Kingdom and Rozalin and Adell from Disgaea 2. There is, for the first time, a multiplayer mode available through Ad-hoc connections. This features multiple modes such as a "Defeat the Leader," "Capture the Flag," and the original "Battle." In the Multiplayer mode, each player also has access to "Geocubes" which give different effects to the battlefield. Other new additions include a music shop, which allows the player to listen to the game's various songs and even change the Item World theme, and a record keeper, which keeps track of various bits of information such as ally kills and obtained items.

In addition, Afternoon of Darkness includes a complete dual language option and the option to turn off battle animations, both of which have been included in recent Nippon Ichi games such as Disgaea 2 and Soul Nomad. Most of the Japanese cut scenes that were originally voiceless now include voices, though some of cut scenes are still voiceless. However, when set to English, the scenes that were originally voiceless in the PS2 release are still voiceless. To reflect Etna's recent voice actor change, her lines have been re-recorded to match Michelle Ruff's portrayal of Etna in Disgaea 2 and the anime. One notable omission is the theme song "The Invasion from Within" by Tsunami Bomb. As ATLUS was the publisher of the original PS2 version (and as such arranged for the licensing of the song) and NIS America (Nippon Ichi's own American branch) published the PSP port themselves, they did not retain the rights to use the song and did not renegotiate for them. Also missing is the song "One With the Stars" which, like "The Invasion from Within", was added in the original PS2 release by ATLUS.

Also mentions a DS port of the PSP port of the PS2 game...

Not to hijack this thread, but I am REALLY liking the 2nd screen map:
disgaea_gallery_004.jpg

Will I play the game yet a third time? Time will tell...

Just a bit of a heads up, I'm sure most of you are already aware of this, but Disgaea is being re-released for the DS in a few months with even more content than the PSP version, including four new playable characters.

Those of you already on the fence about this game might want to wait it out.

[quote name='Ninja Knife']Just a bit of a heads up, I'm sure most of you are already aware of this, but Disgaea is being re-released for the DS in a few months with even more content than the PSP version, including four new playable characters.

Those of you already on the fence about this game might want to wait it out.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this info! Thanks to the OP as well!

[quote name='Ninja Knife']Just a bit of a heads up, I'm sure most of you are already aware of this, but Disgaea is being re-released for the DS in a few months with even more content than the PSP version, including four new playable characters.

Those of you already on the fence about this game might want to wait it out.[/quote]

Oh nice!

Those of you already on the fence about this game might want to wait it out.[/quote]

But are the animated cutscenes still in it? Space is pretty limited on a DS cartridge.

[quote name='Ninja Knife']According to this interview, yes, they are:

http://www.crispygamer.com/_GeneratedPages/news/newsitem560.aspx

Crispy Gamer: Will the DS version support full voice acting and cutscenes from the original?

Jack: Yes, all the voiceovers and cut scenes of the original will be there.
[/quote]

But don't forget: the sprites will be so small that you'll need glasses! Remember the HUGE graphical downgrade that Final Fantasy Tactics had to undergo for the DS?

To be 100% honest: if you want this game on the go, get the PSP version.

[quote name='AwRy108']But don't forget: the sprites will be so small that you'll need glasses! Remember the HUGE graphical downgrade that Final Fantasy Tactics had to undergo for the DS?

To be 100% honest: if you want this game on the go, get the PSP version.[/QUOTE]

A rather biased comment w/o even experiencing the DS version...

[quote name='AwRy108']But don't forget: the sprites will be so small that you'll need glasses! Remember the HUGE graphical downgrade that Final Fantasy Tactics had to undergo for the DS?[/quote]

Huge graphical downgrade? Explain....

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Huge graphical downgrade? Explain....[/QUOTE]

disgaea.jpg

I've only seen a handful of shots, but the screens do look really cluttered. I can't really say if it'll be any better or worse but IMO the increased screen real estate of the PSP version seems to make a much more comfortable playing experience, especially since Disgaea almost wills you spend dozens upon hundreds of hours playing it.

Disgaea really isn't my cup of tea, but I'd generally recommend people to pick it up on their system of choice; honestly, given the absurd amount of customization and depth in even the original PS2 version, a few extra characters or chapters is beans compared to hundreds of hours in Item Worlds and map grinding.

[quote name='AwRy108']But don't forget: the sprites will be so small that you'll need glasses! Remember the HUGE graphical downgrade that Final Fantasy Tactics had to undergo for the DS?

To be 100% honest: if you want this game on the go, get the PSP version.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, because the Disgaea series has always been about the graphics.

[quote name='lunker']

I've only seen a handful of shots, but the screens do look really cluttered. I can't really say if it'll be any better or worse but IMO the increased screen real estate of the PSP version seems to make a much more comfortable playing experience, especially since Disgaea almost wills you spend dozens upon hundreds of hours playing it.

Disgaea really isn't my cup of tea, but I'd generally recommend people to pick it up on their system of choice; honestly, given the absurd amount of customization and depth in even the original PS2 version, a few extra characters or chapters is beans compared to hundreds of hours in Item Worlds and map grinding.[/quote]

I was referring to the FF Tactics graphical downgrade in my last post

bread's done
Back