San Diego Comic-Con International - ALL DAYS SOLD OUT!

MarkMan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Get hyped! CAG, who is attending? The biggest convention and geek fest of it's kind!

I'll be there as always, this will be my 17th year going since I was a youngin...

More information here:

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/

4 day memberships are now sold out online... no 4 day passes will be sold at the door.

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be my third year in a row. I got a full pass, but I will probably only go on Friday or Saturday.

[quote name='Capn Stabby']Out of curiosity, what kind of swag do you guys usually get out of this?[/quote]

Anything you can get your freaking hands on :lol:

It all varies, every time they have new gimmicks and swags from the companies there. (ex: Last year ubisoft gave out rubber bloody fingers!:hot: ... for assassins creed)

First you scout out for the best free BAG, one with good room, quality, and ease of carrying.
Then you get whatever is handed out.
Lots of paper material just promotional posters, booklets, cards, and flyers.
The best stuff are the material goods tho, but again those varies.
All i know is at the end of the day i have like 20 pounds of useless crap, can't wait to do it again this year.

I was still wondering if i should attend 4 days or not but since the 4 day pass is sold out then that solves my problem right there.
I'll probably just go for 2 days then.

[quote name='supraazn']Anything you can get your freaking hands on :lol:

It all varies, every time they have new gimmicks and swags from the companies there. (ex: Last year ubisoft gave out rubber bloody fingers!:hot: ... for assassins creed)

First you scout out for the best free BAG, one with good room, quality, and ease of carrying.
Then you get whatever is handed out.
Lots of paper material just promotional posters, booklets, cards, and flyers.
The best stuff are the material goods tho, but again those varies.
All i know is at the end of the day i have like 20 pounds of useless crap, can't wait to do it again this year.

I was still wondering if i should attend 4 days or not but since the 4 day pass is sold out then that solves my problem right there.
I'll probably just go for 2 days then.[/quote]

Damn!!:hot::hot::hot: Score some for other CAGs if you can(hint;))

[quote name='Interstella 5555']sold out?! bummer.....I wanted to go this year[/quote]

Only the 4 day is sold out, which is just a lower bundle price compare to if you bought 4 single day tickets.
You can still buy each day separately.
And honestly for the pass Comic cons i have only attended 2 days and that was enough, 4 is harcore.

[quote name='yukafls']Damn!!:hot::hot::hot: Score some for other CAGs if you can(hint;))[/quote]

They're pretty fun and interesting items but only for so long then it becomes junk and is discarded.
Best thing i got last year was a couple Free Heroes vol 2 comic that i sold for 15$ each on ebay

Cool, I also heard that a couple of years ago there was an assassins creed medallion and Alien Hominid like antennas that you put on your head like bunny ears.

I love how comicon sells out now.
They're gonna have to find a bigger venue....... amazing since that place is so huge already.

I haven't gone for awhile though since it's too much hassle.

I was planning on going I get two free four day passes, one of which is up for grabs this year.
Best FREE stuff last year was the DC minimate packs (frenzied action in line though)
2006 there was among others Horrorclix starter sets
I usually pass on the printed freebies unless they are full books, but the toy freebies can be choice

The cheapest hotel I would consider staying in is $170 and I don't feel like driving down for a day trip, so I'm only going to go if I can find a ride with someone.

That may change if they actually release more information on the schedule of events. It's hard to get motivated for it without a schedule when you're not into comics at all. I really wish they had Celebration again this year so that I could just forget about comiccon.

[quote name='Zoglog']I love how comicon sells out now.
They're gonna have to find a bigger venue....... amazing since that place is so huge already.

I haven't gone for awhile though since it's too much hassle.[/QUOTE]

I remember when it was held at Golden Hall in downtown and actually focused mainly on comics. Now, it's basically Sci-Fi and big movies with some comics and anime and action figures thrown in. I'm not necessarily complaining, but I can't go for more than a day anymore since the crowds are too huge.

[quote name='apocrypha']I was planning on going I get two free four day passes, one of which is up for grabs this year.
Best FREE stuff last year was the DC minimate packs (frenzied action in line though)
I usually pass on the printed freebies unless they are full books, but the toy freebies can be choice[/quote]

Damn, I love the Marvel minimates. I am working on getting the LE Civil War ones. Then this year there is The Invaders minimates. Which ones were the in the DC pack?

[quote name='apocrypha']I was planning on going I get two free four day passes, one of which is up for grabs this year.
I usually pass on the printed freebies unless they are full books, but the toy freebies can be choice[/quote]

apocrypha, I sent you a PM abut the pass if it is still available.

Thanks, and Congrats on the new arrival

If any kind soul is going and is willing to pick up some of the exclusive SDCC mighty mugg's i'd be eternally greatful. I unfortunately wont be going this year. I was hoping to make it out but that is an imposibility due to work. PM me if your interested in helping me out. I plan on using them not reselling or some bs like that.

:cry: cag your my only hope.

those minimates will be available after the show for order from diamond at least thats what my local shop says. diamond rocks though, and that set looks nice.

being in a contracted job sucks, no time for personal emergencies like this. :cry: So much awesome stuff this year too.

nassaeius obsol: i cant send you back a pm you dont accept them :p if you get to go let me know. I'd more than kindly pay you back and some for your time and effort.

Yeah, but ordering through them is........eh, I would rather have someone get it or get it through an online store that I usually buy from. Which currently they are only offering the Invaders box set. But as I said, I am still debating, it is a month away.

[quote name='bzchanboy']those minimates will be available after the show for order from diamond at least thats what my local shop says. diamond rocks though, and that set looks nice.

being in a contracted job sucks, no time for personal emergencies like this. :cry: So much awesome stuff this year too.

nassaeius obsol: i cant send you back a pm you dont accept them :p if you get to go let me know. I'd more than kindly pay you back and some for your time and effort.[/quote]

OK, I think it is fixed, I will send another PM with contact info.

Im taking the 3 days off and going all 4 days... 3rd year Ill do this and 4th time I've ever gone.

The panels are where you seem to be most likely able to get free shwag. I missed out on the iron man panel in room... F? and they gave out tons of shirts.

I almost never shop there because for the most part, I cant imagine finding anything cheaper there than if I frequented CAG or SD or even FW for deals :D. I only wished Id checked out the hasbro store last year more closely so that I could've scored a revan action figure before it became impossible to find it online (outside of ebay and paying $15+ for a $6 toy).

holy shit Saturday is now sold out as well. I mean the other 3 days is only 1/4-1/3 sold. I guess it safe to say Sat is the most popular day to attend.
Guess i'm only going to go on Fri and Sun now.
Just as well because Sat will be crowded as hell and i'll rather just avoid that.

I will maybe be going for my first time this year.

Is one day enough to satisfy and see everything? I love comics but I am not a crazy nerd.

Thank you.

I'll be hosting Smash Bros. Brawl, Rock Band, Tekken DR tournies in my gaming room upstairs from the exhibit hall area.

Hope some of you guys can make it! It should be on the Comic-Con site soon.

Theduck,

Depending on what you want to see, one day may leave you wanting more, and Saturday is too crowded to get around anyway. Thursday and Friday are good days to go, but Sunday you can get deals since they may want to avoid packing up items and let them go a little cheaper. If you want to attend panels however, the schedule is not up until closer to the event. This probably doesn't help you, but it gives you an idea of what to expect.

Yeah I went on Friday, Sat, and Sunday but Friday was by far the best day. Saturday is crazy and ends up being no fun anyway.

Me and my friends are planning to go, and we are local so it's not hard to get there, I've gone few times with my uncle I didn't think it was amazing but all the free shit you get makes it worth it

I've been attending the Chicago comic con (now Wizard World) for years, but this will be my first year at SDCC. Hasbro dropped out about 4 years ago in Chicago and Mattel dropped out this year, so it will be nice to get some decent toy exclusives. I am flying Southwest and bringing an empty suitcase/carry-on (whatever the limit allows). With my brother and my Dad, we should be able to bring a decent amount home and ship the rest. I bought the 4 day passes, how is preview night?

Preview night is probably the best night to shop/look around the exhibit hall...as it is always the least crowded...

I just realized that this is going to be my 16th year attending comic-con... wow I'm getting old. ;(

Is 26 that old? :(

man, the only day i could go is saturday

and it's crowded and smelly? ughhhhh. and i'd have to take the train up and down on the same day...

No 26 isn't old...My dad is 59 and he still collects comics. Do you get a goody bag when you walk in? What types of goodies (raffle prizes) do you get for donating blood? And my final question...Is there a cheese on a stick AKA hotdogonastick location near the comiccon? I haven't had cheese on a stick for 5 years and I think I may die if I do not have one soon! :drool:

slowdive21: There is a hot dog on the stick down the street from the Comic-Con at Horton Plaza mall.

You do get a goody bag, but nothing really noteworthy IMO. Not sure about the blood donating though.

[quote name='slowdive21']No 26 isn't old...My dad is 59 and he still collects comics. Do you get a goody bag when you walk in? What types of goodies (raffle prizes) do you get for donating blood? And my final question...Is there a cheese on a stick AKA hotdogonastick location near the comiccon? I haven't had cheese on a stick for 5 years and I think I may die if I do not have one soon! :drool:[/QUOTE]

For the blood donations, you have to in the first 250 people or so to get an unpainted limited edition figure. Two years ago I think it was a Buffy or Angel figure, and last year I believe it was a Battlestar Galactica. As well you also get a raffle which has a number of random prizes (comics, games, dvds, toys, etc..)

[quote name='MarkMan']Preview night is probably the best night to shop/look around the exhibit hall...as it is always the least crowded...

I just realized that this is going to be my 16th year attending comic-con... wow I'm getting old. ;(

Is 26 that old? :([/quote]

You're 26 and you call yourself old???
You aren't even 30! :shame:

Good luck for everyone trying to go, I suggest going Thursday or Sunday as they are the least busy days...

Friday and Saturday are already sold out.

If anyone is interested I'll be running an open gaming room in Mezzanine level 17B and will have all kinds of fighting games being played there.

Also some exclusive playables such as BlazBlue and a few more...

For those of you interested in programming at this year's SDCC.

Here is the programming schedule:
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_prog.shtml

Ones I plan on attending/checking out:

DISCLAIMER/WARNING: THIS IS WHY San Diego Comic-Con International owns all other conventions for free...

THURSDAY - JULY 24, 2008

11:30-12:30 SPORE: One-on-One with Will Wright— Will Wright is best known for creating the SimCity and The Sims video game franchises, the latter of which has sold more than 100 million games to date. In 2007, he was given the Vanguard Award from the Producer’s Guild of America, making him the first person in the videogame industry to receive such an honor. Wright’s next video game, SPORE, is scheduled for release on September 7. Join Will Wright for his first-ever appearance at Comic-Con! Room 6CDEF
Categories: Gaming | Science Fiction & Fantasy

2:15-3:15 Halo Wars and the Halo Universe— Prima Games, Tor Books, McFarlane Toys, and Microsoft Games Studio bring you an in-depth panel discussion on all things Halo. Panelists include Eric Nylund, author of Halo: The Fall of Reach and Halo: First Strike Onyx; Tobias Buckell, author of the upcoming novel Halo: The Cole Protocol; game universe writers Graeme Devine (Halo Wars) and Frank O’Connor (Halo Trilogy); and Jon Goff and Corrinne Robinson, McFarlane Toys’ brand management team for Halo action figures. Room 6A
Categories: Action Figures, Toys and Collectibles | Gaming

3:15-4:15 Capcom: The Making of Street Fighter IV Producer Yoshinoro Ono (Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams) and associate producer David Crislip deliver an exclusive behind-the-scenes peek at the making of the much-anticipated Street Fighter IV video game, featuring the design of classic and new characters, creating compelling gameplay. Also, a sneak peek at the animated SFIV minimovies being created to complement the game. There will be a Q&A session as well as Street Fighter-related surprises! Street Fighter cosplayers are highly encouraged to attend this event, as it marks the 20th anniversary of the Street Fighter franchise. Room 6CDEF
Categories: Anime & Manga | Costuming | Gaming

4:15-5:15 Afro Samurai: Resurrection Exclusive Worldwide Premiere!— Afro Samurai picks up his sword once again for the second installment of this critically acclaimed, funktastic anime! This action-packed panel features the creators behind the hit, including star and executive producer Samuel L. Jackson (The Spirit), original creator Takahashi Okazaki, musical artist The RZA (Kill Bill), and executive producer Leo Chu (Spike TV). Be the first to see the worldwide premiere of the exclusive Comic-Con trailer, dazzling artwork from the manga, and never-before-seen demos of the pulse-pounding video game. Room 6B
Categories: Animation | Anime & Manga | Gaming | Superheroes

7:15-8:15 Adventures in Anime— Quinton Flynn (Axel from Kingdom Hearts, Reno from Final Fantasy, Raiden from MGS) and Emmy winner Jeff Nimoy (director of Digimon, Naruto, Wolfwood from Trigun) talk about their careers and their adventures on tour, answer your questions, and sing their famous Yaoi Song from AdventuresInAnime.com! Room 6A
Categories: Animation | Anime & Manga | Fandom | Nighttime Programming

9:00-12:00 10th Annual Superhero Kung-Fu Extravaganza— Martial Arts movie master Ric Meyers (Inside Kung-Fu) celebrates a decade's worth of bringing you the funniest, fastest, and most amazing film clips by creating an anniversary show of the greatest kung-fu fights of all time, complete with surprise guest stars and freebies! If you attend only one "Extravaganza" in the next ten years, make this the one! Room 6CDEF
Categories: Fandom | Movies | Nighttime Programming

----

FRIDAY - JULY 25, 2008

12:00-1:00 Prince of Persia Jordan Mechner, the creator of the Prince of Persia video game and graphic novel and screenwriter on the upcoming movie, discusses the global phenomenon that is Prince of Persia, tying together the comics and the video game industry. Room 4
Categories: Comic Books | Gaming | Movies

1:00-2:00 Introducing Resident Evil: Degeneration Producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi (Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 4) and director Makoto Kamiya (special effects director, L: Change the World, Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack) introduce the full-length CG-animated motion picture based on the popular Capcom video game franchise. Sony Pictures Home Entertainment invites you to be the first to see the film's revealing new trailer and take part in a Q&A session with the filmmakers. Room 2
Categories: Gaming | Horror and Suspense | Movies

1:45-2:45 Ghostbusters: The Video Game Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, and panelists from Sierra Entertainment and Sony Pictures Consumer Products discuss the eagerly anticipated Ghostbusters: The Video Game, due out this October. The panel focuses on what it takes to bring fans the next chapter in the Ghostbusters universe, including working with the original cast members and Sony Pictures Consumer Products to create a completely true and faithful interactive ghostbusting experience. Room 6B
Categories: Fandom | Gaming | Humor & Satire | Movies | Science Fiction & Fantasy

2:00-3:00 Capcom: How to Get A Job in the Video Game Industry— Video game giant Capcom presents a panel of respected video game industry veterans to deliver an overview of the wide variety of career opportunities within the industry, personal tales of how they got in, and tips and suggestions for those who want to. Panelists include Chris Charla (VP, business development, Foundation 9—Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix), Morgan Gray (producer, Dark Void), Grant Luke (senior product manager, Street Fighter IV), Francis Mao (Capcom senior director, creative services and former creative director for GamePro magazine), and Tim Ng (Capcom associate public relations manager). Q&A session to round out the presentation. Room 2
Categories: Gaming | Seminars & Workshops

3:00-4:00 World of Warcraft Hear what’s next for World of Warcraft straight from the source! Representatives from Blizzard Entertainment will be joined by folks from Upper Deck, DC Comics and Tokyopop to reveal what’s in store for World of Warcraft gaming, comics, action figure, and manga fans. Plus, while supplies last, attendees will receive an exclusive World of Warcraft Comic-Con gift! Room 6CDEF
Categories: Action Figures, Toys and Collectibles | Anime & Manga | Comic Books | Gaming

4:15-5:15 Xbox LIVE Original Content Panel— You love the games, the TV, the movies, and Xbox LIVE Arcade, now see what is next. Get a sneak peak at the next generation of exciting original video content coming to Xbox LIVE worldwide. Meet the major Hollywood talent creating the content as they showcase their work, participate in a Q&A, and provide a few surprises. Room 6B
Categories: Gaming | Movies

5:30-6:30 Penny Arcade The creators of Penny Arcade are on hand for a one-hour open Q&A session about the game industry, their own foray into making games, PAX, webcomics, Child’s Play, and more! (Please do not bring them food. They do not know any better and will, in fact, eat it.) Room 5AB
Categories: Gaming | Webcomics

----

SATURDAY - JULY 26, 2008

11:30-12:30 Sam & Max, Strong Bad, and the Secrets Behind Turning Comics into Games— Sam & Max may have their roots in indy comics, but the crime-fighting duo is right at home starring in a successful series of episodic games. The cast of the popular Homestarrunner.com web cartoons are following suit this summer in Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People. Why do comics make for such great games? Telltale designers Mark Darin, Chuck Jordan, and Mike Stemmle, artist Mai Nguyen, and Sam & Max creator Steve Purcell will tell you all about the fun (and work) of bringing comics to life. Plus, get a first look at a third, completely new episodic game series! Room 4
Categories: Animation | Comic Books | Comic-Con Special Guest Spotlights & Appearances | Gaming | Webcomics

2:00-3:00 Warhammer Online How do you take an entire universe with years of rich storytelling behind it and transfer it seamlessly—and in a compelling way!—to a new medium? EA Mythic’s Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning is giving the online gaming treatment to the celebrated Warhammer universe, and creative director Paul Barnett will talk about the challenges involved with satisfying the legion of Warhammer die-hards while also providing a solid and unique experience to MMORPG veterans. Room 2
Categories: Gaming

2:00-3:00 Attack of the Show! Attack of the Show! is G4's irreverent interactive daily live "variety" show that paves the inside track to today's entertainment, technology and pop culture. Hosts Kevin Pereira, Olivia Munn, comic book expert Blair Butler and show producers give fans a rare opportunity to get a behind-the-scenes look at how this show brings tech-obsessed viewers all the up-to-the-minute news on Internet culture, technology, comic books, gadgets, live events and more. Get a glimpse of a day in the life of a daily tech show. Room 3
Categories: Comic Books | Fandom | Gaming | Movies | Television | Webcomics

3:30-4:30 Xbox Creators’ Showcase: Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 Join legendary videogame designers Peter Molyneux (Lionhead Studios) and Cliff Bleszinski (Epic Games) for a sneak peak at their highly anticipated holiday blockbusters, Fable 2 and Gears of War 2. Get a glimpse of these highly anticipated Xbox 360 exclusives, and have a chance to speak directly with Peter and Cliff during the Q&A session! Room 6B
Categories: Gaming

5:00-6:00 The Dead Space IP— Ben Templesmith (30 Days of Night) and Antony Johnston (Wasteland) lead a panel that includes Chuck Patton, AJ Jothikumar and Joe Goyette (Dead Space animated feature) to discuss how graphic novels have become a vital component for top-tier entertainment brands and how multiple mediums (comics, games, and movies) have come together to create a holistic story. While famous comics have spawned successful movies, TV shows, and games, Electronic Arts' new sci-fi horror brand Dead Space has developed a comics series and animated feature to first introduce the universe to key opinion leaders and influencers. Panelists will discuss these new developments, what it takes to develop a successful brand that speaks to audiences across a variety of multimedia, and the implications for the future of the entertainment industry. Room 2
Categories: Animation | Comic Books | Gaming | Horror and Suspense | Movies

6:00-7:00 Capcom Presents: The Making of Bionic Commando and Bionic Commando Rearmed Producer Ben Judd presents an exclusive, never-before-seen, behind-the-scenes peek at the making of the Bionic Commando Rearmed and Bionic Commando for the next gen game systems. Andy Diggle (The Losers, Swamp Thing) discusses writing the Bionic Commando webcomic. Select audience members will be invited to take part in a special Bionic Commando Rearmed gaming tournament to win exclusive Bionic Commando prizes! Plus, meet the real Bionic Commando in person for photos. Q&A session to round out the presentation. Room 2
Categories: Comic Books | Gaming | Webcomics

Damn, all of the panels I wanted to go to (Futurama, Heroes, Lost, Simpsons) are on Saturday, and I'm only going Th+F.

Anyone have any tips on getting autographs from people? ie. I would like Kiefer Sutherland and Carlos Bernard to sign my season 1 box set

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some questions about exclusives. Are you limited to one per day or one per pass? If you have a 4 day pass can you get 1 of the same exclusive per day? Do they give out tickets at the beginning of the day? Where are the exclusives listed...I can't find it on their website?

[quote name='slowdive21']I have some questions about exclusives. Are you limited to one per day or one per pass? If you have a 4 day pass can you get 1 of the same exclusive per day? Do they give out tickets at the beginning of the day? Where are the exclusives listed...I can't find it on their website?[/quote]

Only 4% left.
As far as exclusives, depending on what they are, some you must win a raffle in order to purchase, others are limited to stock on hand. Depending also on the item, there are some booths that will stamp or punch your badge, with this punch or stamp you can no longer purchase the item. If the booth has several limited items, be sure to purchase what you want at the same time. Because if you go back later to purchase another limited item you will not be able to make the purchase if you have the stamp or hole on your badge.

bread's done
Back