Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution - Gen. Discussion & Info

I somewhat enjoyed the demo. To be honest I never played a Civilization game before and I was pretty confused. Yeah the tutorial helped and I do have a basic idea of what to do..but still a noob at this.

I liked it!
I might consider picking it up!

Very fun, extremely simplified compared to Civs 1-4, but i like that the control scheme has been tailored to the consoles.

[quote name='SynGamer']Very fun, extremely simplified compared to Civs 1-4, but i like that the control scheme has been tailored to the consoles.[/quote]

Pretty much my same opinion.

[quote name='lilboo']I somewhat enjoyed the demo. To be honest I never played a Civilization game before and I was pretty confused. Yeah the tutorial helped and I do have a basic idea of what to do..but still a noob at this.

I liked it!
I might consider picking it up![/quote]

Yeah same here, not to mention that I'm not big on tactical games, but using "real history" makes it more appealing to me.

This might be something I use my credit for on yourfree360games.com toward since there really isn't anything coming out soon on the 360 I want besides maybe Soul Caliber.

Oddly enough, my wife got hooked on this at Comic Con in New York earlier this year, and can't wait for it to come out. I haven't played the demo yet to see whether it's the same sort of demo they had in NY. Nice to be able to play Civ on the couch or in bed.

I was going to make an official thread about it but I was too lazy to make it pretty and competent (as in containing information about the game like other game threads). You didn't do either, hahaha, oh well that's fine regardless.

I am a Civilization fan and I enjoyed the demo.

I have some complaints though after playing the demo. Religious influence doesn't seem to be a part of the game anymore (like it was in Civ 4) . There was some slow down when I zoomed out. Slow down in a 4X game, are you kidding me? Hopefully they fix that in the retail release. The terrain isn't customizable at all, which really sucks. Oh and why the hell can't I declare war if I have a democracy even though Alexander is beating the shit out of me.

Never played a Civ game before and liked the demo a lot. I hope to get it but fear being constantly destroyed by all the Civ vets. Hopefully online will rank you against equally crappy opponents.

Longtime Civ player here (since the original), and this is a day 1 purchase for me. In fact, I'm probably going to get both the 360 and DS versions. If you have any questions about Civ in general or the demo -- which I've played quite a bit of -- I'd be happy to try and answer them.

For more info on all things Civ, I recommend CivFanatics:

http://www.civfanatics.com/

I didn't like the demo at all. I like turn based strategy games, but mostly on the DS, I cant see myself playing a game like this on a console. But if a good real time strategy game did come out on a console with good multiplayer, I'd give it a chance. But not turn-based, just too slow for a console game.

I'll have to research this.. I didn't know there was one coming out (or is out?) for the DS. Is it the same game or is the DS version a port of one of the older Civiliations?

Ideally, I think that the game would play better on the DS. In fact, I'm surprised this wasn't put out for the Wii..with point and click controls, ya know?

But the controls for the 360 version seemed solid, so no complaints here.

Definitely looking forward to the DS version. In other Civ related news I was extremely happy to find out they are re-making Colonization with the Civ 4 engine, it should be out this fall. I spent many many many hours back in the day playing the original Colonization.

Played the demo and I hate it. ;) It has the same "just more turn" qualities that cost me a semester in college. Seriously, it seemed pretty solid but I wonder how the controls will hold up with a lot of cities and unit going at once. I remember in past Civ games that once you start waging modern war (with planes, tanks, and ships) that it can get pretty hairy even with a keyboard and mouse. But I am scared to death of this game, the demo was that good.

PS. If I see Sid Meier on the street, I'm gonna kick his ass. :)

I'm pretty much going with the consensus. Demo was okay, but I'm not really that interested in playing this on a console. I'll more than likely be picking up the DS version, though.

[quote name='lilboo']I'll have to research this.. I didn't know there was one coming out (or is out?) for the DS. Is it the same game or is the DS version a port of one of the older Civiliations?[/QUOTE]

The DS version is supposed to be identical to the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions in terms in gameplay, but with simpler 2D graphics. Check out some screens:

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/947/947170/imgs_1.html

Here in the U.S., all three versions are supposed to come out simultaneously next month. In Europe, the console versions come out now, with the DS version following next month.

Ideally, I think that the game would play better on the DS. In fact, I'm surprised this wasn't put out for the Wii..with point and click controls, ya know?

A Wii version was in development, but is now "on indefinite hold." It may come out at a later date after the other versions are out.

If it had hot-seat multiplay I'd be all over this first day, but without that I'll probably wait until I can grab it at around $25-30. Haven't tried the demo yet, but it's next in my download queue. Judging by the general response, though, that won't change my stance much.

Civ II is neck and neck with Diablo II for me in terms of games I've put the most time into, so I'm interested, but not for full retail. I would have preferred to have crappier graphics at a cheaper price. I would have been WAY more excited for a straight port of Civ II for XBLA.

Well I've been playing CIV since number 1. Each time a new version comes out I "fail a course" or "lose a girlfriend" or "get no sleep for days".

Loved the demo! Sure it won't be the same as on a PC but that's okay. Maybe a good thing in a way. Religion was fun though.. but i can see that some thing had to go for the console.

Colonization rocks, I still play it on my laptop :)

Thought the demo was pretty cool. Love the prospect of playing it multiplayer. But man, I hope they do some optimization for the release version because the performance of their engine was the shits. Massive fps drops once you get your civ going.

The game does have multiplayer. I never really got into these types of games, but it kind of reminds me of Star Wars Rebellion......and yes I know that must sound crazy....

I loved the demo but I'd be much happier if they just ported Civ 2 to XBLA and PSN. It would be just about the same experience but at a fraction of the cost.

This series is incredible on the PC...I have all the versions I-IV and the expansions, so I don't think I'll bite on this. From what I hear, it's a little watered down from the PC version, but that is to be expected. If it's even a little like the PC version, it's going to be fun.

[quote name='Wolve11']The game does have multiplayer. I never really got into these types of games, but it kind of reminds me of Star Wars Rebellion......and yes I know that must sound crazy....[/quote]

I liked Rebellion...:whee:

The demo has already ate up a lot of my time, I love it but am torn. I feel as if it wont stay at full retail long but I want to play it now so............Honestly though this is the first game that I have played in a while that has me thinking about playing it when I am not. Don't ask!

I just tried the demo yesterday, and it is FUN. Seriously, from what I've played it's a great, albeit watered-down, counterpart to its very worthy PC brethren.

It does seem to be noticeably faster, but I suppose this was inevitable because some Civ PC games took forever.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Wow, I love this.

I hope the portable versions are this good.[/quote]
Has it been confirmed for the PSP?

[quote name='SynGamer']Has it been confirmed for the PSP?[/quote]

Looking into it, apparently not.

But I could have sworn it was.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Looking into it, apparently not.

But I could have sworn it was.[/quote]
As could i. I know it was mentioned numerous times, but so far, only the DS version has been confirmed...but man, it would fit perfectly on the PSP.

Here's what I don't like about Civ Revolution, in relation to Civ IV:

Civ IV:
2007_06_30_Hatshepsut.jpg

Civ Revolution:
2007_06_30_Cleopatra.jpg

Normally, PC gamers complaining about games getting "dumbed down" (in any sense of the term) for consoles is just them being butthurt little bitches, but in this case, I dunno....

Game will probably still be nice, I just find that kind of irritating...

I'm not sure what you're getting at between the comparisons? There's obviously a different art style in Civ Rev...but nothing to complain about.

Never played any of the Civ games, but my wife was a big fan of Civ 4 for a while even though our PC was barely capable of running it. I will probably pick up the DS version for her as a birthday gift and then try it out myself at some point.

[quote name='SynGamer']I'm not sure what you're getting at between the comparisons? There's obviously a different art style in Civ Rev...but nothing to complain about.[/QUOTE]

Okay, if it was too subtle for you, the gist of it was that now that they're doing a console-exclusive Civ game, the first thing the marketing department thinks to do is give a female character some jumbo bazooms and a skimpy get-up. This could be seen as illustrating the dichotomy between the mature sort of gamer who might play a game like Civ on the PC, and the typical juvenile console player who calls people "$$$$ers" over voicechat and drools over titties BUT I GUESS IT WAS JUST TOTALLY STUPID AND FAILED. :(

[quote name='Cantaloup']Longtime Civ player here (since the original), and this is a day 1 purchase for me. In fact, I'm probably going to get both the 360 and DS versions. [/quote]

Same here but PS3 + DS... played since the first Civ (aka "Race to Gunpowder") and am picking this up the day it comes out. played the demo last night and I really like the changes, esp not having to micromanage roadbuilding etc.

Big fan of the series since Civ 2. So far, I really like the demo. Now, the question is which version to buy. :D

I havent played previous versions on the computer, but I have to say I really enjoyed the demo. It makes me want to get the computer versions as well.

The game got really high scores in the current Game Informer. 9 or 9.25 from both of the reviewers I believe. According to them the 360 has a slight edge due to XBL being a superior multiplayer environment. The PS3 version apparently has less slowdown graphically. Overall, it's now even more of a title to watch for me.

[quote name='Halo05']The game got really high scores in the current Game Informer. 9 or 9.25 from both of the reviewers I believe. According to them the 360 has a slight edge due to XBL being a superior multiplayer environment. The PS3 version apparently has less slowdown graphically. Overall, it's now even more of a title to watch for me.[/QUOTE]

Great to hear. This may be a day 1 pickup for me.

Wow, 9s? I was expecting them to pull the "Oh wah it's dumbed down" card and give it likes 7s or 8s, but this is great news!

bread's done
Back