- - - - -

Majestic Studios "Limbo of the Lost" steals from Oblivion

#1 HotShotX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3532 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:12 AM

No comment from either publisher as of yet, but the evidence seems pretty damning.

http://www.gameplasm...st_or_oblivion/

~HotShotX
[chipinsig]dc7c442c9bf5c573[/chipinsig]

#2 Moxio   Supervillain CAGiversary!   35394 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:11 AM

Interesting.

#3 mykevermin   Queen of Scotland CAGiversary!   37008 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:19 AM

Oooooooh. Plagiarism.
Posted Image

#4 Friend of Sonic   Toneman.org coming soon.. CAGiversary!   10125 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Friend of Sonic

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:36 AM

I'll take the case!
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#5 eswat   Kill many bear CAGiversary!   2344 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:48 AM

Is it wrong if this crap + the horrible trailer makes me want to actually get the game?

Here seems to be the list of other games it has ripped from:
  • Silent Hill
  • Unreal Tournament 2004
  • Thief: Deadly Shadows
  • Painkiller
  • Diablo
  • Return to Castle Wolfenstein
They also ripped a Wraith bust from WETA workshop and sequence from the Spawn movie where Spawn is first sent to hell (2:40 in the trailer)... just wow.

#6 eswat   Kill many bear CAGiversary!   2344 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:52 PM

I'm surprised nobody else is replying to this. I thought it was pretty fucking funny. The sheer amount of "work" they put into stealing assets from other games is hilarious.

#7 B:L   twitch.tv/BLbeel CAGiversary!   1670 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:13 PM

I'll take the case!

LOL:
Posted Image
Unreal2k3:
Posted Image

LOL:
Posted Image
Painkiller:
http://i70.photobuck...0612-031757.jpg

LOL:
Posted Image
Diablo border:
Posted Image

LOL (top and bottom borders):
Posted Image
WoW (top and bottom borders):
Posted Image

LOL:
Posted Image
Morrowind:
Posted Image

LOL official trailer (at 2:40):
http://www.gametrail...ayer/28891.html
Spawn the Movie (at 0:24):

LOL:
Posted Image
Unreal:
Posted Image

LOL:
Posted Image
Unreal:
Posted Image
A figurine of a Lord of the Rings wraith:
Posted Image

Interview with the Project Director:
http://www.quandaryl...e.jsp?index=795
Some highlights:

Gordon: So have any more recent games influenced your current project?
Steve: The project is more influenced by film and literature rather than other games, we want the experience to be as original as possible and as such we have made a calculated effort to keep away from other games in the genre. Limbo of the Lost is an experience first and foremost, secondly wrapped up in a game media and genre.

Gordon: During the long gestation for this game, what sort of changes have you made to bring it up to date.
Steve: All of the game (apart from initial background story and some character designs) had to be re-written, all the characters had to be created in 3D and animated, all the background scenes re-created, all the sounds, coding and music?..basically everything had to be redone or newly created for the PC version. This is not an old game that has been dressed up. This is the original concept, dusted off and re-created.

Gordon: Finally, is there anything more about the game you'd like to share with us, and do you have any more projects on the drawing board?
Steve: I could talk about this project for hours but I would prefer you to play, experience and enjoy it, so I will hush up for now. But before I say a fond farewell I will tell you this much, If anyone can honestly tell me after playing the game that they did not have an enjoyable gaming experience or have a favorite character that they have met whilst playing the game, I will never mention or speak of the sequel — LIMBO of the LOST II — Temptations of Tarot.

Posted Image

Case Closed.

#8 Strell   LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS! CAGiversary!   26583 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:21 PM

They should have just bought a bunch of boxes of Oblivion and crossed out the title with a Sharpie.

I bet they stole their logo from one of those "So you want to learn how to draw?" Art Institute commercials.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#9 mykevermin   Queen of Scotland CAGiversary!   37008 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:23 PM

http://www.trisynerg...news.asp?nid=25

Tri Synergy, Inc. would like to publish an official comment regarding recent comparisons of level design and artwork between Majestic Studios’ Limbo of the Lost and Bethesda’s The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion/Eidos Interactive’s Thief: Deadly Shadows.

Tri Synergy is just as shocked as everyone else is by the recent screenshot comparisons. At no point during our dealings with Majestic Studios up until the point that the comparison was first publicly made by a third party did we have any knowledge of these similarities. Additionally, Tri Synergy will discontinue distribution of Limbo of the Lost in both retail and online outlets.

We have contacted the developer, Majestic, and are anxiously awaiting their response. As soon as we know more on this matter we will issue another statement.

Posted Image

#10 Strell   LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS! CAGiversary!   26583 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:28 PM

Tri Synergy is just as shocked as everyone else

Posted Image

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#11 HotShotX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3532 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:53 PM

Tri Synergy is wiping their hands of this shit as fast as publicly possible

Fixed.

~HotShotX
[chipinsig]dc7c442c9bf5c573[/chipinsig]

#12 paz9x  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:17 PM

wow. thats fucking unreal. i cant believe somebody did that and thought it was acceptable and/or nobody would notice.
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#13 kainzero   scv good to go sir CAGiversary!   3930 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

kainzero

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:33 PM

^

yes, it is unreal. taken straight out of unreal.

is it pure coincidence that the acronym for this game is LOL?
Every day's great at your Junes!

#14 paz9x  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:22 PM

^

yes, it is unreal. taken straight out of unreal.

is it pure coincidence that the acronym for this game is LOL?

its funny because when i saw the post i thought they meant laugh out loud at the screens.

then realized it was the games acronym.
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#15 CoffeeEdge   Resident Communaut CAGiversary!   8536 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:43 PM

Posted Image

The cursor in LOL is taken out of Black and White 2, for anyone wondering why that makes an appearance on this mockup boxart.

Also, get a load of this character art:
Posted Image
Hi...

DID SOMEBODY SAY "TOOT"?!?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image I WILL MOTHERF--KING BAN THE F--KING SHIT OUT OF YOU Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Fatal Futanari   What cha got there Senpai? CAGiversary!   7647 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Fatal Futanari

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:21 PM

supposely this game has been in dev for 10 years....lol and there is a "Making of" dvd too!

preview

#17 eswat   Kill many bear CAGiversary!   2344 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:05 AM

Wintermute: Create your own adventure Oblivion/Thief 3/etc.

#18 camoor   Jams on foot fires CAGiversary!   15218 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:13 AM

http://www.trisynerg...news.asp?nid=25

It's too late. My business relationship with Trisynergy is finished!

Although I have to admit, I don't know how I'm going to deal with missing out on quality titles such as "I Love Puppies!", "Starshatter", and "Snood Deluxe"

#19 camoor   Jams on foot fires CAGiversary!   15218 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:22 AM

More drama

From GameFaqs:

Turns out this guy Steve Bovis stretched the truth when he talked about remaking the game for PC out of code he developed a decade earlier... He doesn't know HOW to code!

Bovis used a recently-released free indie game software called "Wintermute" for the entire game. It's a great program that allows you to design complex adventure games with basic coding knowledge. The thing is, Steve Bovis has about twenty long threads on the Wintermute forums asking help for EVERYTHING! Animation, NPC interaction, video files, applying fonts, even how to get the cursor to change. If you read between the lines, you see Steve may have been subtley asking the Wintermute community to send him the exact scripts he needed, and in most cases he got them. Which means that Limbo of the Lost was programmed quite a bit by members of the Wintermute community, yet credit for the game only went to three people.

What really puzzles me is, how could you have designed a nearly completed adventure game in the mid-90's, and not know how to do the basics of the basics today? I've learned answers to some of the questions this guy was asking simply by trying to mod Oblivion. There was one reply he got where the poster said many of his NPC animation switching problems could be solved by using variables of "if", and Steve still asked if he could send a specific example, as though he didn't know the meaning of "if" in scripting. Makes me wonder if the unfinished LoLs for the Atari and Amiga were ever meant to be finished at all.
- Taegre

If you want to see the forums where the devs posted, goto

http://forum.dead-co...22&topic=2746.0

http://forum.dead-co...57;sa=showPosts

#20 camoor   Jams on foot fires CAGiversary!   15218 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:19 PM

Here's another article - "Pub pals pin hopes on US game success"

Mr Francis, a former landlord of The Pilot pub, Upper Stone Street, and now a mature student, said: "It is a sort of comedy come horror. A bit like Monty Python meets Evil Dead
"Our hope, if everything goes well with the sales, is that within a year we will all be stopping the day jobs and doing this full time."

http://www.kentmesse...d=&searchpage=1

I thougth it was a little bit of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion meets The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Unreal Tournament 2004, Unreal Tournament 2003, Diablo II, Thief: The Dark Project, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Crysis, Silent Hill 4: The Room, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Painkiller, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, and World of Warcraft

Don't quit those day jobs, boys, because lawyers are expensive!

#21 eswat   Kill many bear CAGiversary!   2344 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:31 PM

Don't quit those day jobs, boys, because lawyers are expensive!

Even some of the Unreal Tournament modders that these guys stole from might plan on pooling some money for a lawyer.

These guys are fucked...

#22 Halo05   DJ Roomba CAGiversary!   7924 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:47 PM

Wow, these guys are going to be in debt for the rest of their lives. There isn't a major PC/gaming company that they didn't rip off. Vivendi alone will make them pray for death.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#23 CoffeeEdge   Resident Communaut CAGiversary!   8536 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:51 PM

Wow, these guys are going to be in debt for the rest of their lives. There isn't a major PC/gaming company that they didn't rip off. Vivendi alone will make them pray for death.

Yeah, that's if anyone ever finds them. Their publisher (who has dropped the game) has been trying to contact them, but it turns out that they're "on vacation." In other words, they've skipped town with their up-front check, and no one is ever going to hear from them again.
Hi...

Posted Image

#24 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22241 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

Haha... that's pretty damn funny. I guess they figured nobody would ever notice.

Currently playing: 

PS1 Wild Arms - :) (Mutha-fucking Wild ARMS!!) 

fyreboltx.png

║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#25 elwood731   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1304 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

elwood731

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:18 PM

Haha... that's pretty damn funny. I guess they figured nobody would ever notice.

Actually, I think they DID expect people to notice. Think about it, if they had simply stolen from one title they might have gone unnoticed. But the fact that they stole from just about every major title possible, including films, seems to imply this was done on purpose, including the game title's acronym. Now they've simply skipped town?

I think they just pulled one of the biggest scams in media history, keenly aware the entire time what they were up to and what the reaction would be.

#26 TC   Better w/o Kinect CAGiversary!   3057 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:40 PM

It is actually pretty funny. The fallout from this should be interesting.

#27 camoor   Jams on foot fires CAGiversary!   15218 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:46 PM

I think they just pulled one of the biggest scams in media history, keenly aware the entire time what they were up to and what the reaction would be.

An intriguing conspiracy theory - but what is their gain? Did Trisynergy cut them a check for the rights to profit from distribution of the game?

I will admit, from the photo these guys look like they're straight out of central casting for the next Guy Ritchie film.

#28 eswat   Kill many bear CAGiversary!   2344 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:59 PM

A call for a 2D/3D background artist for a LoL sequel, from a few days ago: http://forum.dead-co...g18305#msg18305

#29 CoffeeEdge   Resident Communaut CAGiversary!   8536 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:38 PM

A call for a 2D/3D background artist for a LoL sequel, from a few days ago: http://forum.dead-co...g18305#msg18305

Claim:

I am on the look out for a 2D/3D background artist for the sequel to LIMBO OF THE LOST. This is a % of royalty position for the right person.
The backgrounds need to be in 1024x768 resolution and the end result is a static 2D image.

Other parts of the job will be for alpha masks and layers within the scenes. Approx 80 backgrounds will be needed, if you can construct in 3D using an editor like Unreal 3 etc all the better.

The reality:

I am on the look out for a person to do some screengrabs of well-known retail games to use as backgrounds for the sequel to LIMBO OF THE LOST. This is a % of the up-front check from the publisher for the right person, before we all liquidate our assets and bank accounts, change our names and identities, and catch a flight to Rio.

Other parts of the job will be asking for users on the dead-code forums to basically code the game for you, even though the Wintermute Engine is only about as difficult as Click-and-Play. Approx 80 printscreens will be needed, if you can printscreen from Unreal Engine 3 games all the better.

Hi...

Posted Image

#30 zewone   Thursday CAGiversary!   43156 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:49 PM

This is awesome. :lol: