DRM issues in Mass Effect

lwelyk

CAGiversary!
http://gamingdungeon.ikrell.com/?p=411

I don't feel like taking the time to redo the links in forum code, so I'll just link to it.

This situation is ridiculous, especially the response. Try to spread the word. They're doing this in Spore and I want to be able to play that game however many times I want.

After reading up on it, does seem sorta ridiculous. The more they hurt the legitimate consumer, the more the legitimate consumer will turn to piracy (or at least cracks to kill the authentication)

The only thing copy protection/DRM does in the end is screw your customers. It has been proven many times over that people can, will, and do crack these DRM or copy protection with no problem. So at best you slow the people that are going to pirate your game when you leave the actual customer stuck playing with themself and getting screwed over the rail since they actually bought your goddamn product and the DRM taking over their system and talking back to their home servers keeping tabs on you.

Damn... companies are still trying to fight piracy this way? Why not ask torrent sites to take down illegal copies of games instead? Oh, right... that would probably make too much sense.

[quote name='Vinny']Damn... companies are still trying to fight piracy this way? Why not ask torrent sites to take down illegal copies of games instead? Oh, right... that would probably make too much sense.[/quote]

Too much like work, that's why!

It's far easier to screw over the average consumer instead of really getting to the root of the problem.

If someone knew about the DRM beforehand and still bought it, I don't feel sorry for them.

But then again, those who knew about it either a)didn't buy it b)bought it, left it on the shelf, and downloaded a CLEAN warez version c)simply pirated it

DRM is like the rest of the world apparently: those who are honest and follow the rules get screwed over the most

So if you buy the game can you just download a crack for it? Would that be illegal, since you would own the game?

I'd like to get it, but the DRM has me torn. I'm getting ready to upgrade my PC, so that'd be 2 installs right there. If I put it on my laptop too, there goes all 3.

[quote name='keithp']So if you buy the game can you just download a crack for it? Would that be illegal, since you would own the game?

I'd like to get it, but the DRM has me torn. I'm getting ready to upgrade my PC, so that'd be 2 installs right there. If I put it on my laptop too, there goes all 3.[/quote]

It would be illegal, but if I get it, that's what I'm going to do. that way I can just burn that to a disc and play it. Sad that I have to think about doing that to purchase this game. I hate DRM. It only hurts people who pay for the stuff.

I am very annoyed with bioware's response as well.

[quote name='mogamer']Too much like work, that's why!

It's far easier to screw over the average consumer instead of really getting to the root of the problem.[/quote]
QFT. That's we have such lovely remedies like the DMCA :lol:.

I would accept if Bioware/EA tied keys as separate accounts but they went too far with activations and there are still people who can at least acquire the game without the "locks." Interestingly enough, 2K kept their promise of removing activations for Bioshock.

Sure, I buy games cheap (why am I on this site otherwise?) then find No-CD stuff. The funny thing is that all the "pirated" options I've used have not left me with viruses, trojans, and other nasties; the no-cd actually appears to do what it promises. That may at least violate the license agreement but I've rarely needed help or support with games anyways; I've read enough helpful sites to empower myself.

Then again, I see two separate issues that are conflated: the creation of tools that circumvent DRM (done by people who follow the hacker ethic) and the infringing of copyrights via file sharing which is possible whether DRM exists or not.

If DRM drives me to buy and play fewer new games, so be it. I'm not so defensive and attached to the game industry that I feel that I must buy and play the latest releases.

EDIT: Maybe using hacker ethic isn't precise but there is certain ethos that is derived from previous generations of computer hackers (the classic sense, not script kiddies).

[quote name='Vinny']Damn... companies are still trying to fight piracy this way? Why not ask torrent sites to take down illegal copies of games instead? Oh, right... that would probably make too much sense.[/QUOTE]

Do you know how hard that would be to do? Most them sites are run on servers in countries where the copy right law (what little of a law on it they have) does not stop them from doing this. So with it being run in a foreign country they are not subject to the laws here in the states.

Also the number of them. Just like with the RIAA and Napster, one goes down 2 more come up. Copyright laws in other contries needs to change and more of the sites will come down.

EDIT: Didnt they also do this with Bioshock and then said that as long as you uninstall it your good and that they found that most will never install it on more then 3 computers at one time?

I wanted to buy both Mass Effect and Spore, but I will not buy (or pirate) either until SecuROM is removed.

If you hate DRM in your computer games, support Stardock.

There's an interview at Big Download with Stardock's CEO that really impresses me as a consumer:

Q: Sins, like other Stardock games, ship without any DRM copyright protection. Do you think that's one of the keys to the game's success?

A: Definitely. Piracy is a major issue for the PC game industry. But the issue has to be kept in perspective – the people who actually buy games don't want to be inconvenienced or treated like a criminal. Everyone who buys games knows they could easily have gone out and stolen it if they wanted to. Customers expect to be treated with respect.

If only the big game companies would understand.

[quote name='sendme']
EDIT: Didnt they also do this with Bioshock and then said that as long as you uninstall it your good and that they found that most will never install it on more then 3 computers at one time?[/quote]
The issue should be moot as the activation stuff has been removed; although Securom still remains.

And I'll look into what Stardock offers in terms of content and restrictions before I plunge in.

bread's done
Back