Xbox Media Center Official Thread (Sp00ge approved)

fraggedbylaggers

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Alright the other one got shut down but we are allowed to create another as long as we dont talk about HOW to softmod the xbox and anything to do with roms, emus, and general piracy. We can talk about homebrew apps however (like last.fm programs, youtube streamers, you get the idea). Please dont post asking how to mod your xbox or put emulators on there or where to get roms.

I personally enjoy being able to throw various types of media onto my tv from my computer with ftp. It is fun to look at photos and the big hdtv...

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']Alright the other one got shut down but we are allowed to create another as long as we dont talk about HOW to softmod the xbox and anything to do with roms, emus, and general piracy. We can talk about homebrew apps however (like last.fm programs, youtube streamers, you get the idea). Please dont post asking how to mod your xbox or put emulators on there or where to get roms.

I personally enjoy being able to throw various types of media onto my tv from my computer with ftp. It is fun to look at photos and the big hdtv...[/quote]

Yes so do I. Its given the xbox a second life. And I second no talk of piracy, roms and hacking. If thats what your here for, leave. That talk is only openly discussed in the OTT thread.

Although I don't think that it's going to leave the front page anytime soon, you should put a link to the old thread in the original post.

[quote name='Danil ACE']Although I don't think that it's going to leave the front page anytime soon, you should put a link to the old thread in the original post.[/quote]Old thread's gone. Too much direct posts about the stuff that's not discussable.

If you want to pull info into this thread, you'll have to post it new in here.

Two quick questions:

1. Is XBMC still being supported/upgraded?

2. Does anyone know where I can get a white shell for my XBox? I'm striking out left and right.

I definitely love XBMC, and the video features that allow you to pull information from TVDB or IMDB for your videos. It's really cool having screenshots for your television show episodes.

I hate it.

Its slow, laggy, and really a pain.

And you can't go back to it from a game or anything, you have to restart it ahhh.

What version of XBMC are you using? I don't have any problems with mine being slow, even with the extra large hard drive. Now, I don't see why would be able to go directly back into XBMC from a game like you can with videos. I haven't seen any other app on the Xbox to allow you to do that. I use XBMC as my default dashboard so I guess don't see the huge issue.

You can get back to it from a game if you have the "in-game reset" enabled. Usually you have to press LT, RT, back, and start, at the same time.

Yeah, but in-game reset takes you back to your default dash last time I checked, not to the XBMC if it isn't your default dashboard.

Is this thread still being updated? I have a question about XBMC. Hopefully it's appropriate for this thread. The usual disclaimer I'm not looking for a how-to, I'm looking for a is-it-possible.

I'm looking at setting up a headphone listening station in my apartment. A place where I can go listen to tunes on a good set of cans and relax. Anyways I'm trying to figure out possible sources for my music, which is all MP3. Since the proposed location of said listening station (on an end table next to my couch) is not near any computing hardware, I am looking at network based media delivery options.

What I had in mind was to buy an apple Airport Express and use its optical out to feed audio into the listening station. To give the music to the Airport Express I was thinking of utilizing my xbox. Can XBMC do something like this? I'd prefer to use the xbox rather than just serve the music off my laptop or desktop because I'd like for the system to be computer-independent if possible. The xbox is quiet, does not need a lot of power, boots fast, and is unobtrusive. Plus since I already have one it's cheap- a great option when a good NAS is running you $500+

What I'm really looking for is for the XBMC to act as an iTunes media server which the Airport express could draw from. In an ideal world it'd all be controlled wirelessly by an ipod touch. Would be pretty slick, no? I've read a lot about how XBMC can stream files from other devices and play them into your stereo/on your TV but what I'm looking to do is have the xbox serving files out.

Any ideas? I've seen where you can convert an xbox into a linux box and turn it into a real NAS but unfortunately you can't use it for games after that. I still game on my xbox (yes I do!) and would like to retain its gaming capabilities.

Ruahrc

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I know that the current build of XBMC can share out it's library of videos and music out to the PS3 and Xbox 360. I think it makes it into a DLNA server of sorts.

Now if the files it is sharing out are located on another device, like the Xbox library has something that is located on your PC, it currently throws out errors on playback from a 3rd device. That probably didn't make as much sense as I wanted to.

So what you're saying is that XMBC can serve out files stored locally on the internal hard disk- but has problems with being a "pass-through" type device where it pulls media off a remove server and passes it on to another destination?

What are the requirements of the target player? To be DLNA capable?

Reading more about the issue I don't think modding my xbox is going to fulfill my needs- at least not without compromising on some of my other requirements (a'la being able to still use it to play games).

Ruahrc

Yeah, it has issues being a pass-thru device, but there has been talk about that being fixed in a later build. As far as I know if the device is DLNA capable the Xbox will serve out to it. Finding perfect documentation on all of it's capabilities is hard because so many people put their fingers in the program it isn't the best documented.

bread's done
Back