Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops or which ones you've grabbed to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50515&highlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167157

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
BookPool
CircuitCity
Gamestop
Overstock
StrategyGuides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recent Drops(NOTE: The Circuit City drops may be HUGELY YMMV, not to say that the rest are never tough to get. But, be warned that many may come up as a 'bundle required' or not in the system AT ALL):

>>>Dropped on 3.25.09Dropped on 3.25.09Dropped on 3.4.09Dropped on 3.4.09Dropped on 3.2.09>>Dropped on 2.2.09Dropped on 1.29.09Dropped on 1.29.09Dropped on 1.22.09Dropped on 1.22.09Dropped on 12.12.08Dropped on 12.12.08Dropped on 12.09.08Dropped on 12.09.08Dropped on 11.20.08Dropped on 11.20.08Dropped on 11.17.08Dropped on 11.17.08Dropped on 11.14.08Dropped on 11.14.08Dropped on 10.27.08>>Dropped on 09.30.08Dropped on 09.23.08Dropped on 09.23.08Dropped on 09.16.08>>Dropped on 08.12.08Dropped on 08.02.08>>Dropped on 07.22.08Dropped on 07.17.08Dropped on 07.17.08Dropped on 07.14.08Dropped on 07.14.08Dropped on 07.02.08Dropped on 07.02.08Dropped on 06.20.08Dropped on 06.20.08Dropped on ??>>Dropped on 05.05.08Dropped on 04.25.08Dropped on 04.25.08Dropped on 04.07.08Dropped on 04.07.08Dropped on 03.15.08Dropped on 03.15.08Dropped on 03.03.08>>Dropped on 03.03.08Dropped on 02.18.08Dropped on 02.18.08Dropped on 01.25.08>>Dropped on 12.22.07Dropped on 10.29.07>Dropped on 10.29.07>Dropped on 10.25.07>Dropped on 10.25.07>Dropped on 10.22.07>Dropped on 10.22.07>Dropped on 10.18.07>Dropped on 10.18.07

Last edited by a moderator:
At my Gamestop, they gave me a $0.01 Frontlines: Fuel of War for free. Not a bad score, but I don't have the game so it is on my trade list.

Trying to sneak a new thread in on me, eh? That usually means I end up missing a drop or two (as I just watch the old one forever and forget about it as it slips deeper and deeper into my subscribed thread list).

But I missed that June 2 drop, anyway. I need to get me a C&C3 guide as I actually have the game and was planning on playing it soon. Seems like the kind of thing I still have a good chance of finding, though, so I'll check out the Best Buys when I'm near them.

[quote name='yukafls']At my Gamestop, they gave me a $0.01 Frontlines: Fuel of War for free. Not a bad score, but I don't have the game so it is on my trade list.[/quote]

For some reason, we don't have that in the list of recent drops, so did we miss some from the last drop @ GS? I know someone mentioned some Wii guides dropping, but we never received clarification or anything on which ones may have.

Oh and IO, I was originally planning on capping the old one at 1500 and Shrike suggested it was time for a new one, so I figured since I wasn't doing anything tonight, I might as well make a new one.

As I may have mentioned already, it's basically just a carbon copy of thread eight, since that format worked well enough last time.

I'll add Frontline:Fuels Of War to the May drop from GS, until we get some sort of verification as to whether or not it's part of another newer drop.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']For some reason, we don't have that in the list of recent drops, so did we miss some from the last drop @ GS? I know someone mentioned some Wii guides dropping, but we never received clarification or anything on which ones may have.

Oh and IO, I was originally planning on capping the old one at 1500 and Shrike suggested it was time for a new one, so I figured since I wasn't doing anything tonight, I might as well make a new one.

As I may have mentioned already, it's basically just a carbon copy of thread eight, since that format worked well enough last time.

I'll add Frontline:Fuels Of War to the May drop from GS, until we get some sort of verification as to whether or not it's part of another newer drop.[/quote]

Here is the story, I went today and picked up Secret Agent Clank an asked my friend who was working if they had any penny guides and she said that she had just marked it down. Not sure if it is at all of them but anyone who wants it I have it on my trade list. I don't have the game, so I won't need the guide.

Got (1) Dawn of Mana: "I can't believe I missed that" - the manager, and (2) Battalion Wars II: "Where did you get these? You're never going to believe what the total is ($0.02). How did you know they were a penny? (Lucky guess!)" - Clerk at store #2 (both Gamestop :p)

For some reason, it feels almost like stealing when I grab these. The people working always look at you funny.

Are GameStop pretty good about selling penny guides? I know GameCrazy is anal, and Best Buy tend to go either way.

I jjust asked, they said yes and told me which ones they had. I said I would take and they said no charge, just take em.

[quote name='ets']Are GameStop pretty good about selling penny guides? I know GameCrazy is anal, and Best Buy tend to go either way.[/quote]I've been much, much more successful with GC than with GS. It really depends on the employees, though.

[quote name='yukafls']At my Gamestop, they gave me a $0.01 Frontlines: Fuel of War for free. Not a bad score, but I don't have the game so it is on my trade list.[/quote]

Mmmmm, according to the .com, Frontlines is still $16.99 but it's listed as Currently Not Available Online. If they are showing that only because it's pennied in stores, then Halo 3, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass blue hardcover, Mass Effect, WoW Second Edition, Final Fantasy 12, and Pro Evo Soccer 2008 might have also dropped. MGS4 LE and Condemned 2 are also not available but somehow I don't see those dropping just yet...

Game Crazy dropped a few guides about a week or so ago. It's not much, but it's something:

Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hDu4mnUrL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Tony Hawk Proving Ground
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51pO9PweObL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Dragon Quest VIII
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61D414EN27L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Guitar Hero 2 (my favorite guide because it is sooooooooo useless!)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WBNE8Q34L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Like I said, it's not much...but as we get more down the pipes I'll keep ya updated.

[quote name='eugaet']I've been much, much more successful with GC than with GS. It really depends on the employees, though.[/QUOTE]

It I guess it depends if you also "know" the managers or employees. I mean, if they know you're a regular, they might let you slide. Of course, there are those employees out there that are just strict about it either way. Luck of the draw I guess.

I just became buddy-buddy with a guy who happens to work at the local gamestop, so I finally have an insider again who can get me all my guides. Havn't been able to get any at gamestop since the girl I knew there left almost a year ago.

[quote name='ets']Are GameStop pretty good about selling penny guides? I know GameCrazy is anal, and Best Buy tend to go either way.[/quote]
Anytime I ask for them of find them they tell me they can't be sold :/

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']Anytime I ask for them of find them they tell me they can't be sold :/[/quote]

This is the only luck I've had at GS. Only found one guide last year on The Day that it dropped and they hadn't cleared the shelves yet. He just gave it to me, so it sounds like they don't want any .01 cent transactions showing up on the tape. It sounds like someone's arse would get chewed if they actually sold them for a penny.

[quote name='vahn401']I just became buddy-buddy with a guy who happens to work at the local gamestop, so I finally have an insider again who can get me all my guides. Havn't been able to get any at gamestop since the girl I knew there left almost a year ago.[/quote]

SWEET!

HAs anyone confirmed that the frontlines guide has indeed been pennied at GS? My local one still has a couple I could grab when I go to the bank.

[quote name='ctice44']Game Crazy dropped a few guides about a week or so ago. It's not much, but it's something:

Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hDu4mnUrL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Tony Hawk Proving Ground
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51pO9PweObL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Dragon Quest VIII
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61D414EN27L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Guitar Hero 2 (my favorite guide because it is sooooooooo useless!)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WBNE8Q34L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Like I said, it's not much...but as we get more down the pipes I'll keep ya updated.[/quote]

The only problem with GC drops lately is that they have been zeroing them out in the system, not pennying them, which makes them all the more difficult to get.

EDIT: I added the possible GC drop info to the second post, but we need verification on when they dropped, for how much and if any others dropped.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']This is the only luck I've had at GS. Only found one guide last year on The Day that it dropped and they hadn't cleared the shelves yet. He just gave it to me, so it sounds like they don't want any .01 cent transactions showing up on the tape. It sounds like someone's arse would get chewed if they actually sold them for a penny.[/quote]

yeah, they aren't allowed to sell penny guides or else they'll get fired. Well, that's the official ruling, but so is selling an M game to a minor. But I guess it's much easier to see 0.01 on the sales records than visual evidence of an ID during a M rated game sale.

THERE WAS A GS DROP YESTERDAY

I just got off the phone with my girlfriend, she told me Folklore and Eternal Sonata were amongst them and would be texting me the full list later.

Can't wait for the update!! Picked up a Xenosaga ep. III at GameCrazy. The guy said I could have it instead of buying it for a penny.

I guess it's true that corporate doesn't want to see $0.01 transactions, or it's just not worth their time.

I know Frontlines and Folklore dropped yesterday since I pulled them myself. Sadly, individual stores don't get the entire price drop list, only titles in stock so I don't know the full extent. GDI if Eternal Sonata went down since our store is sold out :/

I found Folklore and 2 Eternal Sonata's and Frontlines and Umbrella Chronicles at my GS today.
Only left with both ES's (and I already have one) a Hellboy keychain and Guitar Hero Headphones.

edit real fast:
I stop in regularly if anyone needs what they got.

The full list from what I was told by a GS store manager I asked was a short one:
Eternal Sonata
Folklore
Frontlines: Fuel of War
a spyro guide of some sort (can't remember)

I ended up with a folklore and a frontlines, as the rest were already long gone.

I added Xenosaga III to the Gamecrazy drop, added the Gamestop drop from the 18th or so, still waiting on verification as to what day the GC drop occured and if anything else dropped with the ones already listed.

[quote name='Antic']That drop kills me. I was just there too. I need Eternal Sonata bad...[/QUOTE]

Yea, I've been waiting a while for Eternal Sonata as well. But with so many GS's cracking down successfully on penny guides, I doubt I'll be able to find it. At least it's not too expensive on Amazon...

Today, I am told, Orange Box pennied out at GameStop, as well as Pro Evolution Soccer and some other stuff.

I'll update when I verify, probably by 4 PM.

I have 2 gs within walking distance I might check out tonight, I could use a folklore guide. The GS I prefer has a really good manager (knowledgeable about games and actually friendly), so I'm thinking he is likely to be on top of disposing of them.

Edit: Checked.. GS#1 had a ton of guides on a rack, but I was only looking for Folklore and it was not to be found
GS#2, as expected, was right on the ball and only had guides next to the 50 facings of GI under the checkout.. so no go there.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Stopped by to check for EternalS and Folklore - no luck. That store sucks for guides though.[/quote]

The only one I had a chance at threw them out. >_

[quote name='QiG']I have 2 gs within walking distance I might check out tonight, I could use a folklore guide. The GS I prefer has a really good manager (knowledgeable about games and actually friendly), so I'm thinking he is likely to be on top of disposing of them.[/quote]

I'll have to check when I get home, but I think I have an extra folklore I can sell for 7$ shipped media plus pp fees

Quick question for you guys in the know: I had an employee at Best Buy scan a hardcover Twilight Princess guide for me thinking it would be a penny, but it rang up at $14.99.
If it makes any difference, the number on the receipt is 8631359? Did she scan the wrong barcode, or is this not the right guide?

Also...seeing as it apparently hasn't dropped yet, when will it? I'd love to nab that guide.

[quote name='SDC']Quick question for you guys in the know: I had an employee at Best Buy scan a hardcover Twilight Princess guide for me thinking it would be a penny, but it rang up at $14.99.
If it makes any difference, the number on the receipt is 8631359? Did she scan the wrong barcode, or is this not the right guide?

Also...seeing as it apparently hasn't dropped yet, when will it? I'd love to nab that guide.[/QUOTE]

Nobody knows when certain guides will drop. I don't understand your first question, however, about scanning the wrong barcode. You say you know it hasn't dropped, so I'm not sure what the issue is???

I can verify the PES 2008 guide being a penny, the manager at my local EB gave me one today. Also, Rock Band is a penny at EBStop, along with some Sims guide, and I think a Tomb Raider for Wii guide.

Went to GS asked for folklore said "we have it, but sorry can't sell it to you it has been pennied out." I actually have this game, so I would like the guide.

my stores didn't have squat. I really want to pick up folklore, cuz I liked the demo. Anyone with the guide think it would be a benefit to have? Or is it like most guides, where there is little to no reason to even have a guide (I find I beat a lot of games, and then look at my guides and am like, oh, I had the guide for that...) Thanks.

[quote name='SDC']Quick question for you guys in the know: I had an employee at Best Buy scan a hardcover Twilight Princess guide for me thinking it would be a penny, but it rang up at $14.99.

Also...seeing as it apparently hasn't dropped yet, when will it? I'd love to nab that guide.[/quote]

There's actually 2 versions of the Twilight Princess hardcover guide Actually, I believe there were 3-4 if you count the Wii and Gamecube versions as wholly seperate.

Best Buy has a brown(tan) and gold covered one with a sheet of paper shrinkwrapped to the back of the guide saying that it covers NEW things, so you likely found the REVISED version they released.

As for the 'wrong barcode' thing, I've noticed that MANY guides(even non-pennied ones) will NOT EVEN COME UP when they scan one of the UPC barcodes on the back, but when they scan the other one they come up as whatever they are currently in the system.

So, why they even have 2 UPC's on the back for ANY of the guides is beyond me. Either way, that's what happened to you I'd bet, SDC.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Today, I am told, Orange Box pennied out at GameStop, as well as Pro Evolution Soccer and some other stuff.

I'll update when I verify, probably by 4 PM.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, I'll wait till you may have the rest of the info before I update the second post with the drop info.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Today, I am told, Orange Box pennied out at GameStop, as well as Pro Evolution Soccer and some other stuff.

I'll update when I verify, probably by 4 PM.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, I'll wait till you may have the rest of the info before I update the second post with the drop info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back