Best TV's For Wii ?

CosmosTheMouse

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I recently bought a new Panasonic 32' HD LCD TV.

What a mistake it is hooking something up like the Wii to it. Almost every game winds up looking like legos and gets distorted and pixeled . This is obviously due to the fact that Wii is 480p & 480i while most LCD and Plasma TV's are 700 and up. Using the better cables did nothing but make the issue worse. I play other older systems as well (Dreamcast, PS2, etc) and they all had the same problem. The only upside was that my 360 looked pretty dang nice.... but it's not worth it if I can't go after the classics or Wii now and again.

So the question is, what would be the optimal TV to get if you were JUST playing a Wii. My guess is most of the answers will be a large SD bulb TV (my old one started dying
16x16_smiley-sad.gif
).

[quote name='CosmosTheMouse']I recently bought a new Panasonic 32' HD LCD TV.

What a mistake it is hooking something up like the Wii to it. Almost every game winds up looking like legos and gets distorted and pixeled . This is obviously due to the fact that Wii is 480p & 480i while most LCD and Plasma TV's are 700 and up. Using the better cables did nothing but make the issue worse. I play other older systems as well (Dreamcast, PS2, etc) and they all had the same problem. The only upside was that my 360 looked pretty dang nice.... but it's not worth it if I can't go after the classics or Wii now and again.

So the question is, what would be the optimal TV to get if you were JUST playing a Wii. My guess is most of the answers will be a large SD bulb TV (my old one started dying
16x16_smiley-sad.gif
).[/quote]

Are you using component video cables or composite video cables?
Most HDTV's can upscale to a pretty decent image with the Wii, some make it look "mushier" or blurrier than others.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Are you using component video cables or composite video cables?
Most HDTV's can upscale to a pretty decent image with the Wii, some make it look "mushier" or blurrier than others.[/quote]

I had both kind, and both looked horrible.
This is the TV I was using...

I've been trying to figure out what the issue was. This LCD appears to just be 720p and not supporting 480i or p. But what i'm also wondering is what "spporting" even means. Does that just emulate the resolution?

If I wound up getting something like this.... it says 720 but supports 480i and p/720 and 1080i. Would it even make a difference? Or would the native resolution have to be 480.

Maybe you are sitting too close? For a 32" you should be sitting at least 5 feet away. I sit 8-9 feet from my 50" Sony LCD rear projection and it looks good.

If you aren't sitting 3 feet from your TV, it sounds like the scaler in your TV is just crappy. I find this to be common in the low end LCD screens.

Also be sure to set your TV's "sharpness" setting low, or even zero.

For what it's worth, I play PS1 and PS2 games on my TV and they also look perfectly fine.

[quote name='Zing']Maybe you are sitting too close? For a 32" you should be sitting at least 5 feet away. I sit 8-9 feet from my 50" Sony LCD rear projection and it looks good.

If you aren't sitting 3 feet from your TV, it sounds like the scaler in your TV is just crappy. I find this to be common in the low end LCD screens.

Also be sure to set your TV's "sharpness" setting low, or even zero.

For what it's worth, I play PS1 and PS2 games on my TV and they also look perfectly fine.[/quote]

Closeness wasn't much of an issue. If you saw it you would know what I mean.
I had the sharpness down to 0, resized the screen, and the edge enhancement off. Still didn't work.

Looked like itw as kissed with an ugly bat next to my CRT.

i think its something youll have to deal with on an hdtv. some games, like brawl, have the option to make the image look blurry.

It looks pretty darn good on my 42" Vizio w/ component cables...

I guess your best bet would be to find a 480i EDTV, to run at native resolution, but buying a TV simply for a Wii seems like a waste to me.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']It looks pretty darn good on my 42" Vizio w/ component cables...

I guess your best bet would be to find a 480i EDTV, to run at native resolution, but buying a TV simply for a Wii seems like a waste to me.[/quote]

I'm just saying it hypothetically.

I have several classic systems and a DVD player. The thing is the ONLY thing I have that takes advantage of higher rez is the 360. My Wii, ps2, dreamcast, etc are all old hardware. I just want to run everything nad have it decent looking.

Not looking for perfection, but with the samsung 720p I couldn't even handle most of the games. Odds are like I siad because it didn't support 480anything.

Tony Montana in Scarface Wii literally looked almost this bad...
kegm5w.gif

I have a sharp aquos 32" 720p LCD TV (the exact model you linked to actually) and it's not that terrible in 480p with the component cables. But I can't really know if it's the TV or if you'd think it looks terrible when I don't.

[quote name='Ace Harding: Private Eye']Kind of a basic question, but did you change the Wii's display settings to widescreen?[/quote]

Back and forth, same quality.

Comparing it to a CRT is usually asking for trouble.

That said, I think my PS2 and Wii look better on my HDTV than my 32" Sony Wega CRT.

[quote name='Zing']If you aren't sitting 3 feet from your TV, it sounds like the scaler in your TV is just crappy.[/quote]

Like I said, I think it was mainly because it was standard 720p and didn't say anything about supporting anything else. And when I turned that 480 on it fudged all over the place.

I appreciate the feedback on this thread (because everyone elsewhere is just blowing a lot of hot air). You should hear the Best Buy and Circuit Shitty workers trying to talk to me about TV's. It's a wonder how they got in that department sometimes.

bread's done
Back