PS3 - Best audio player?

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
[quote name='Doc Bacca']Awesome to hear. Gives me a reason to put some music on my ps3, though that means I will probably have to get a bigger harddrive though, something that was inevitable.[/QUOTE]I'll give you a reason to put music on the PS3 HDD, PS3 is by far the best music player I own as far as audio quality is concerned IMO. That's why I put all my music on my PS3 instead of my PC.

[quote name='smiggity']PS3 lacks some of the best audio codecs, so I wouldnt go as far as saying THE best, but certainly viable.[/QUOTE]I'm just playing MP3s, that's what I'm talking about. Between my 360, PC, and PS3, PS3 has the best quality output in my case (It's loud and clear, despite having the volume mostly down).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'll give you a reason to put music on the PS3 HDD, PS3 is by far the best music player I own as far as audio quality is concerned. That's why I put all my music on my PS3 instead of my PC.[/quote]
How can it have better audio quality? Shouldn't that depend on the speakers?

[quote name='naes']How can it have better audio quality? Shouldn't that depend on the speakers?[/quote]

Pretty much. And the format the file is in, plus the bitrate. There are several different factors that come in to play. Saying the PS3 is the best audio player, especially over a pc which can play every format, is going a bit far.

[quote name='smiggity']Pretty much. And the format the file is in, plus the bitrate. There are several different factors that come in to play. Saying the PS3 is the best audio player, especially over a pc which can play every format, is going a bit far.[/quote]
Most of my MP3s are V0. I want to hear why Mana thinks that the PS3 has better audio quality.

Might as well just say that a cassette player is the best audio player cause that's about the same believability of a "PS3 is the best audio player" remark.
Naes and Smiggity are right in that audio quality is basically about what the actual audio file's format/bitrate and speaker setup.

Anyways, I forgot how much I absolutely hate updating firmware on the PS3 after spending 15 or so minutes updating to 2.36.

[quote name='smiggity']Pretty much. And the format the file is in, plus the bitrate. There are several different factors that come in to play. Saying the PS3 is the best audio player, especially over a pc which can play every format, is going a bit far.[/QUOTE]All I did was play an MP3, on my PS3, 360, and PS3. Sounded the best on my PS3. It was like PS3 > PC >>>>> 360 when it came to playing my MP3s, or when I ripped a CD to each device. But in reality, I'm not audio expert since I rarely listen to music that's not in a video game.

Also, I just love sorting my music with avatars on PS3 (I'll get a picture posted of that sometime).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']All I did was play an MP3, on my PS3, 360, and PS3. Sounded the best on my PS3. It was like PS3 > PC >>>>> 360 when it came to playing my MP3s, or when I ripped a CD to each device. But in reality, I'm not audio expert since I rarely listen to music that's not in a video game.

Also, I just love sorting my music with avatars on PS3 (I'll get a picture posted of that sometime).[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely ridiculous.

---

I had to download this worthless update when I came home from school last night. Cuttin' into my MGO time.

Attacking TMK is fine when he makes an outrageous comment, ie ("PS3 best music player") but when he makes valid points, the same point I made a few posts back, why all the bashing? Sometimes his fanboyism does need to be checked though

funny this wouldn't be an argument if we were over at avs forums.. they think it is the best music player, hell they think its the best entertainment piece that you could have in a box. You guys are just arguing against TMK, and not the reality. PS3 is the best music player..... if not? then what's better and why? I haven't seen anyone post a reason why its not the best, or even offer an altercation. If you can't do thank then just STFU. Damn TMK makes one statement, and you guys jumpinging on him like he's Barack Obama running for president.

[quote name='Thomas96']funny this wouldn't be an argument if we were over at avs forums.. they think it is the best music player[/quote]
How the hell can it be better at playing MP3s? Explain that to me, please.

[quote name='Thomas96']You guys are just arguing against TMK, and not the reality.[/quote]
I wasn't even arguing. I just find it ridiculous that he finds the PS3 to be the best music player. I don't understand how it has better quality sound...

[quote name='Thomas96']PS3 is the best music player..... if not? then what's better and why?[/quote]
The whole point is that it's not better than a PC or an iPod/Zune/MP3 Player. You can't upscale MP3s. The quality depends on the bitrate and the sound set up.

[quote name='Thomas96']Damn TMK makes one statement, and you guys jumpinging on him like he's Barack Obama running for president.[/quote]
I see what you did there.

[quote name='zewone']If it was only 5 minutes, it's more like 15.[/quote]5 minutes for me, but my connection is 15MB down, 2MB up (I'm on Verizon FiOS). At my apartment understand

I don't understand either since the 360's updates are quarterly and add a lot of new features and take less than 30 seconds to download and update.
MS is a software company. They had no problems getting several features in under 32MB in game (for the OS). Sony had 2-3X reserved for the OS, yet they were not able to have many features due to the XMB eating up too much memory. That is one reason for the constant firmware updates is to fix things. There have been multiple updates where the PS3 fixes things, but breaks other things (such as certain games no longer working, some not even able to sign on PSN, etc.). MS has the software experience and can avoid these issues easily. Sony's expertise is hardware. It took MS around two years to go to 65nm, while it took Sony one year. Also, PS3 doesn't have the failures 360 has for sure. And that's because Sony's expertise is in hardware.

Let's just say, I find it annoying to have to update to play online when I hardly use the console.
You don't have to update then, just leave the PS3 connected offline. MS forces an update also to connect online, to partially avoid piracy problems (and people trying to get around security when playing online). PS3 firmware updates are constant due to Sony's software inexperience.

[quote name='pimpinc333']:applause:

TMK and the update? amirite? :D[/QUOTE]:roll:
[quote name='JMEPO']I could care less about these updates now. Its only a disappointment every time I update only to find that Home is still not released...[/QUOTE]Let's just say, Home probably won't come until 2009, if we are lucky. Part of the reasoning is the old management at Sony had a different vision of Home compared to the new management. Sony even admitted they had to scrap some of Home and redo it because they really took it the wrong direction. And it's not just a matter of that, it's still far from being complete (still lots of bugs and other issues, from beta testers and such).
[quote name='smiggity']Attacking TMK is fine when he makes an outrageous comment, ie ("PS3 best music player") but when he makes valid points, the same point I made a few posts back, why all the bashing? Sometimes his fanboyism does need to be checked though[/QUOTE]The best music player was NOT fanboyism. Heck, at the time I realized that, I could have caredless where my music was being played (I only had a 20GB HDD and oh course I'd rather use my PC). However, I compared the sound quality and it was amazing, for my MP3s, which is why I made it my main music player.

Be careful what you say, because by some of your wording, you could have been exiled from my friends list. :p
[quote name='Thomas96']funny this wouldn't be an argument if we were over at avs forums.. they think it is the best music player, hell they think its the best entertainment piece that you could have in a box. You guys are just arguing against TMK, and not the reality. PS3 is the best music player..... if not? then what's better and why? I haven't seen anyone post a reason why its not the best, or even offer an altercation. If you can't do thank then just STFU. Damn TMK makes one statement, and you guys jumpinging on him like he's Barack Obama running for president.[/QUOTE]QFT.
[quote name='pimpinc333']Ps1 is the best CD player.[/QUOTE]I dunno, I never bothered to compare my Saturn, PS1, and CD player back in the day.

[quote name='pimpinc333']You're the one who said the PS3 was the best Audio Player out there. You could consider that trolling or YOUR own opinion. ;)[/QUOTE]This IS a thread mentioning something positive about PS3. Mentioning negative things about PS3 to only cause trouble IS considered trolling. But whatever.

Also, I do not believe we'll see what trophies friends get. I do believe we'll see that stuff when Home comes, but oh course that will not be for a while most likely.

[quote name='naes']How the hell can it be better at playing MP3s? Explain that to me, please.

I wasn't even arguing. I just find it ridiculous that he finds the PS3 to be the best music player. I don't understand how it has better quality sound...

The whole point is that it's not better than a PC or an iPod/Zune/MP3 Player. You can't upscale MP3s. The quality depends on the bitrate and the sound set up.

I see what you did there.[/QUOTE]

If you do happen to come across a high quality sound source, the PS3 will output it at a high level due to the digital optical out. Whereas, if you're using a zune or Ipod all you're really getting is the basic sound from the headphones. Also you can hook an Ipod, cell phone (some) up to the Ps3 and it'll read the music from there. Last week I was able to download the cagcast from the Ps3 broswer and save it to the hard drive. TMK says its the best music player, but I say that the PS3 is best centerpiece that one could have in a living and/or small theater setting. The input and output is what essentially makes the PS3 sound good, however, the digitial optical out does give it an advantage, if you're using a receiver.

How is a PS3 the best audio player when it can only play half the codecs out there? That was my entire point from the beginning, although it seems that no one saw it that way.

[quote name='Thomas96']If you do happen to come across a high quality sound source, the PS3 will output it at a high level due to the digital optical out. Whereas, if you're using a zune or Ipod all you're really getting is the basic sound from the headphones. Also you can hook an Ipod, cell phone (some) up to the Ps3 and it'll read the music from there. Last week I was able to download the cagcast from the Ps3 broswer and save it to the hard drive. TMK says its the best music player, but I say that the PS3 is best centerpiece that one could have in a living and/or small theater setting. The input and output is what essentially makes the PS3 sound good, however, the digitial optical out does give it an advantage, if you're using a receiver.[/QUOTE]

Just about any HTPC puts it to shame.

[quote name='smiggity']How is a PS3 the best audio player when it can only play half the codecs out there? That was my entire point from the beginning, although it seems that no one saw it that way.[/QUOTE]

what codecs doesn't it play.

you know the PS3 probably could upscale sound... Toshiba is using cell chips in their new TVs to upscale all video (even analog) to HD, I'd bet it'd be relatively easy for cell to upscale sound as needed.

[quote name='Dark Slayer120']Thomas can't even spell it Zew, I doubt he even knows wtf you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

yes I can... B. I. T. C. well... use context clues j/k or an I spelling your name... somestimes the lines are so blurred between you two its good we have one name to put you under.

[quote name='Thomas96']yes I can... B. I. T. C. well... use context clues j/k or an I spelling your name... somestimes the lines are so blurred between you two its good we have one name to put you under.[/quote]

Wat? Go back to school kid.

[quote name='zewone']Just about any HTPC puts it to shame.[/QUOTE]

Ohhh... a good point you bring up... hell a PS3 w/ linux is a poor mans HTPC. At least the PS3 is in the running versus a HTPC, also, look once the PS3 can record TV, for 500/600 dollars plus being a console... that's not a bad fuckin deal. you still get the streaming from your pc or laptop..... at this point, who in here really thinks they need to go out and buy a HTPC... linux, hard drive , and you're good to go.

[quote name='Dark Slayer120']Wat? Go back to school kid.[/QUOTE]

I see you like to play spelling bee. Practice makes perfect kid... you got all summer. when you graduate you don't give a fuck.

[quote name='zewone']A HTPC that will outperform the PS3 can be had for cheaper.[/QUOTE]

oh please some used pos from ebay...

No, genius, a HTPC you build yourself.

Just face it, the PS3 isn't the best audio device and it was a dumb thing to say.

[quote name='Dark Slayer120']Lol, you're not even worth my time kid.[/QUOTE]

could you move this post... I'm talking w/ zew now. kids... always in the way

[quote name='zewone']No, genius, a HTPC you build yourself.

Just face it, the PS3 isn't the best audio device and it was a dumb thing to say.[/QUOTE]

hell you just admitted that the PS3 is good device overall when you called it a low end HTPC.

[quote name='zewone']When did I ever admit that?

And that has nothing to do with you and TMK make that dumb statement.[/QUOTE]

one could build a HTPC... yes.. you probably could build one of your own. It would be cheaper. However, for the avg joe who can't, having the PS3 w/ a nice 7.1 (or 5.1) receiver isn't a bad option. It'll be even better when the PS3 gets DVR capabilities.

[quote name='zewone']A HTPC that will outperform the PS3 can be had for cheaper.[/quote]Please tell me where I can find this magical $400 HTPC. A decent looking case for an HTPC alone costs $100+, with a nice 7.1 sound card, video card and mobo+processor capable of HD video, decent amount of RAM, an OS, wireless mouse and keyboard, and I'd assume a Blu-Ray drive, there's no way to stay under $400.

[quote name='Thomas96']you know the PS3 probably could upscale sound... Toshiba is using cell chips in their new TVs to upscale all video (even analog) to HD, I'd bet it'd be relatively easy for cell to upscale sound as needed.[/quote]
Is this a joke?

[quote name='zewone']No, genius, a HTPC you build yourself.

Just face it, the PS3 isn't the best audio device and it was a dumb thing to say.[/quote]

Pretty much was all I was saying as well, but if I need to break it down for some ignorant folks I have no problem. Audio ripped from CDs at a bit-rate of 64kb sounds like ass in MP3 Format. That same file, encoded in the free OGG VORBIS format, will sound much better. THE PS3 DOES NOT PLAY OGG FILES!! Nor do I believe it to play FLAC, but that it beside the point I was making. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,1560793,00.asp -Here is a link complete with graphs if you need to check it out- Plus Thomas, half your reasoning was that it is b/c the PS3 has optical out. Well, so did the PS2 (i think) does that make it the best audio player of last gen? I just dont see much reasoning from you either Thomas.

[quote name='Thomas96']funny this wouldn't be an argument if we were over at avs forums.. they think it is the best music player, hell they think its the best entertainment piece that you could have in a box. You guys are just arguing against TMK, and not the reality. PS3 is the best music player..... if not? then what's better and why?[/quote]

Here's a reason: the blu-ray drive in the PS3 isn't high quality and from what I've seen/read/experienced is the most likely component in the system to be prone to failure.
That takes SACDs/CDs out of the equation as well as ripping your music to the small hard drive.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Here's a reason: the blu-ray drive in the PS3 isn't high quality and from what I've seen/read/experienced is the most likely component in the system to be prone to failure.
That takes SACDs/CDs out of the equation as well as ripping your music to the small hard drive.[/QUOTE]It actually depends upon how well some take care of it. I actually found out that the majority of the reason for people having difficulties reading a disc (which actually doesn't happen that much, and if it does, the 60GB SKU is the most likely for it to happen due to having the earliest blu-ray disc diodes) has to do with too much dust in the console obstructing the laser. That's why I keep my PS3 dusted and cleaned and has been fine (I've played my PS3 almost everyday, inserted several games and so on). I will not deny, some blu-ray disc diodes do die, but many are also due to too much dust (I've seen how dusty most consoles are).
[quote name='smiggity']Pretty much was all I was saying as well, but if I need to break it down for some ignorant folks I have no problem. Audio ripped from CDs at a bit-rate of 64kb sounds like ass in MP3 Format. That same file, encoded in the free OGG VORBIS format, will sound much better. THE PS3 DOES NOT PLAY OGG FILES!! Nor do I believe it to play FLAC, but that it beside the point I was making. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,1560793,00.asp -Here is a link complete with graphs if you need to check it out- Plus Thomas, half your reasoning was that it is b/c the PS3 has optical out. Well, so did the PS2 (i think) does that make it the best audio player of last gen? I just dont see much reasoning from you either Thomas.[/QUOTE]With the PS2, we could not play MP3s off of it or rip a CD to the PS2 (like I could with the original Xbox).

Anyway, please, let's just end this argument.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It actually depends upon how well some take care of it. I actually found out that the majority of the reason for people having difficulties reading a disc (which actually doesn't happen that much, and if it does, the 60GB SKU is the most likely for it to happen due to having the earliest blu-ray disc diodes) has to do with too much dust in the console obstructing the laser. That's why I keep my PS3 dusted and cleaned and has been fine (I've played my PS3 almost everyday, inserted several games and so on). I will not deny, some blu-ray disc diodes do die, but many are also due to too much dust (I've seen how dusty most consoles are).
[/quote]

For the record, my 60gb PS3 was kept in an open area and dusted regularly (shiny black looks like ass covered in dust). It was allowed to run Folding@Home relatively regularly. Damn thing was less than 10 months old too. From what I've read, games that access the disc a lot are more likely to help induce the failure in the controller, which would explain why the MGS4/MGO installs were the last thing that my PS3 did. (And for the record, Sony's current RMA process is worse than the new EA Rockband claim process, at least in terms of speed and competency.)

Was the 40gb model's fan test (which people have reported is good for cleaning out dust) a response to early console failures due to dust?

[quote name='corrosivefrost']For the record, my 60gb PS3 was kept in an open area and dusted regularly (shiny black looks like ass covered in dust). It was allowed to run Folding@Home relatively regularly. Damn thing was less than 10 months old too. From what I've read, games that access the disc a lot are more likely to help induce the failure in the controller, which would explain why the MGS4/MGO installs were the last thing that my PS3 did. (And for the record, Sony's current RMA process is worse than the new EA Rockband claim process, at least in terms of speed and competency.)

Was the 40gb model's fan test (which people have reported is good for cleaning out dust) a response to early console failures due to dust?[/QUOTE]40GB failures have been relatively low (but they still happen) at a few large PS3 forums, but there were some I knew who took there's back because it didn't play a PS2 game. :lol: As for the fan test, I know someone who got it to work with a 60GB here.

I do tell people, running Folding@Home for a long time does put the PS3 at risk for a failure down the road. That's why I don't do it (I feel having it is a wonderful thing, but I know that leaving the PS3 on for a while, heating components for a long period of time, could lead to some failures). I knew a bunch who had their PS3 Fold for a while and ran into a failure (but then again, I know a few who seem to be fine).

At least your PS3 is in warranty and you can get it fixed. I've said it before around CAG, the 60GB SKU is the most likely to run into failures (early blu-ray disc diode (newer PS3 consoles, especially the 40GB, uses a different one, which explains why it doesn't play SACDs)), partially due to having the most components, producing the most heat, etc. Part of the reason, I do NOT recommend people buying a used 60GB when looking for a PS3 (20GB seems to be more safe used). I remember in some poll, it seemed like 60GB failures were 5-10% (compared to other SKUs around 1-2%).

Sorry to hear about your blu-ray diode dying though. :whistle2:(

bread's done
Back