That's not a mobile suit, it's the anime and manga thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really big into shojo, although I did really enjoy Honey and Clover. Nodame Cantabile was also ok but would've been better served if some of the characters weren't so annoying...the gay guy especially (not because he was gay, I have nothing against that, it's just that the character was too whiny and over the top for my liking). Loved Nodame's character, though.

Well just finished an anime called Utawarerumono and it was very good. Much better than what I was expecting and the Blu-Ray rip was nice. I forgot why I decided to check it out though.

Man, i'm getting tired of When They Cry. 16 eps in. The series wouldn't be too bad if it were a series of chapters involving different characters. I know they introduce a few new ones each time, but when the story hits a climax and the chapter ends, its a hugely unsettling feeling seeing the new chapter start and everyone's all happy & cheery.

Its getting close to the repetitiveness of Hell Girl. But at least WTC actually shows the murder happening.

[quote name='darkcecil32']Not really big into shojo, although I did really enjoy Honey and Clover. Nodame Cantabile was also ok but would've been better served if some of the characters weren't so annoying...the gay guy especially (not because he was gay, I have nothing against that, it's just that the character was too whiny and over the top for my liking). Loved Nodame's character, though.[/quote]

I loved Honey and Clover. It's one of my favorites. I revisited Lamune to finally watch the ending (which was great, shut up). :oops:

[quote name='coolsteel']Naruto chapter 405 was pretty touching[/quote]

agreed.
especially the end part with iruka sensei. hes always been kind of an older brother/father to him and it was cool to see him be there for him since you dont see much of him anymore. would have been good to have konohamaru there too since all 3 of them have lost family and theyre all close with each other. yeah i want to see more of naruto with konohamaru i really want to know hwo the kids skills have progessed. and wtf is with the book didnt jiraya give the frog a book to give to naruto?

[quote name='lokizz']agreed.
especially the end part with iruka sensei. hes always been kind of an older brother/father to him and it was cool to see him be there for him since you dont see much of him anymore. would have been good to have konohamaru there too since all 3 of them have lost family and theyre all close with each other. yeah i want to see more of naruto with konohamaru i really want to know hwo the kids skills have progessed. and wtf is with the book didnt jiraya give the frog a book to give to naruto?
[/QUOTE]

That will be next chapter

I just finished Sailor Stars a couple days ago. It felt a little sad seeing the 完 at the end since Sailor Moon was my second anime like a dozen years ago (preceeded by Voltron). I checked eBay for the manga real quick last night, and the complete set was going for $500 and it wasn't even mint. :cry:

[quote name='tehweezner']watching the second hunter x hunter ova and i'm enjoying the crisp and modern animation.[/quote]

I loved Hunter x Hunter TV. Never watched the OAVs because I decided to switch over to the manga. Once I start my assistantship in the fall, I'm going to start start buying the manga again and catch up.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I just finished Sailor Stars a couple days ago. It felt a little sad seeing the 完 at the end since Sailor Moon was my second anime like a dozen years ago (preceeded by Voltron). I checked eBay for the manga real quick last night, and the complete set was going for $500 and it wasn't even mint. :cry:

I loved Hunter x Hunter TV. Never watched the OAVs because I decided to switch over to the manga. Once I start my assistantship in the fall, I'm going to start start buying the manga again and catch up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah well that stuff aimed at little girls ( And crossdressing con goers) really shoot up in value after awhile, i'm still shocked at how much CardCaptor Sakura goes for now.

[quote name='coolsteel']Yeah well that stuff aimed at little girls ( And crossdressing con goers) really shoot up in value after awhile, i'm still shocked at how much CardCaptor Sakura goes for now.[/quote]

I am in neither of those two categories. CCS doesn't seem to be going for that much (aside for one listing for a "first pressing" with a BIN price for $750). The few singles I see are only going for $15-ish.

Maybe I should try to unload my first pressing DVDs for $600. :roll:

I hadn't watched any anime in 3 years until a couple weeks ago (Fullmetal Alchemist was just finishing up when I moved from Louisiana, that had been my last anime until 2 weeks ago). I started with Code Geass, which was pretty good. Now I'm trying Naruto Shippuuden, on ep 32 and it sucks. NOTHING happens. It's soooo slow. And really predictable. You can see what's going to happen 3 or 4 episodes in advance. I often just scroll through an entire episode in 2-3 minutes, and can understand every single thing that happened.

I need something faster paced... and smarter.

[quote name='Koggit']I hadn't watched any anime in 3 years until a couple weeks ago (Fullmetal Alchemist was just finishing up when I moved from Louisiana, that had been my last anime until 2 weeks ago). I started with Code Geass, which was pretty good. Now I'm trying Naruto Shippuuden, on ep 32 and it sucks. NOTHING happens. It's soooo slow. And really predictable. You can see what's going to happen 3 or 4 episodes in advance. I often just scroll through an entire episode in 2-3 minutes, and can understand every single thing that happened.

I need something faster paced... and smarter.[/quote]

If you like Code Geass, you may want to give Death Note a try. The first 2/3 of the Death Note anime was great, the final 1/3 was awful imho, and I've heard the manga also started to fall apart right around that point. Something happens to a certain major character, and the show just loses its intrigue and suspense.

And for those who enjoyed Hunter X Hunter, *applauds*. One of the most underrated anime series that I have ever seen. I'm happy at least the manga was licensed in the US.

[quote name='Koggit']I hadn't watched any anime in 3 years until a couple weeks ago (Fullmetal Alchemist was just finishing up when I moved from Louisiana, that had been my last anime until 2 weeks ago). I started with Code Geass, which was pretty good. Now I'm trying Naruto Shippuuden, on ep 32 and it sucks. NOTHING happens. It's soooo slow. And really predictable. You can see what's going to happen 3 or 4 episodes in advance. I often just scroll through an entire episode in 2-3 minutes, and can understand every single thing that happened.

I need something faster paced... and smarter.[/QUOTE]

Shippuden anime is really bad IMHO. They slow it down even more (naruto is slow enough in its manga form) so that they dont have to end up doing filler sooner.
Its in filler now I think, not sure because Ive stopped watching.

Code Geass season 2 is airing now.

I need something faster paced... and smarter.[/QUOTE]
Monster is about as smart as it gets, if you haven't seen it yet.

I'm watching Bottle Fairy right now. I got it for super cheap during Rightstuf's Geneon sale. It's too cute!

I watched Wicked City last night. Not quite as good as Legend of the Crystal Triangle, but it was definitely worth a few laughs.

I'm having trouble finding the live action version of WC. A person having sex with a pinball machine makes it sound like its a must see.

[quote name='Chuplayer']I'm watching Bottle Fairy right now. I got it for super cheap during Rightstuf's Geneon sale. It's too cute![/quote]
I'm always one for cuteness, but I sold this off after watching the second episode (and they're short episodes, too). I just couldn't take it.
An example of an excellent cute show is Strawberry Marshmallow :D

I need something faster paced... and smarter.[/quote]

Well, faster paced would DEFINITELY be Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. And I'd say it's definitely smarter than Shippuuden, mostly in the giant metaphors that are going on in the background.

I got bored with Lagann...I would not call it smarter.

I'd say Code Geass or Death Note are much better choices for "smart" anime.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']I got bored with Lagann...I would not call it smarter.

I'd say Code Geass or Death Note are much better choices for "smart" anime.[/quote]

I was saying it's smarter than Shippuuden. An anime that's five hours of staring at a dog's ass is smarter than Shippuuden.

[quote name='karsh']I was saying it's smarter than Shippuuden. An anime that's five hours of staring at a dog's ass is smarter than Shippuuden.[/QUOTE]
So true.

Are any of you watching Macross Frontier?

Macross in its various iterations have always left a warm fuzzy feeling in my head, and this new one is really really good so far.

I might even rate it above plus and zero.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']I got bored with Lagann...I would not call it smarter.

I'd say Code Geass or Death Note are much better choices for "smart" anime.[/quote]

For smart anime and manga, I recommend Monster. It was a phenomenal psychological thriller.

[quote name='chasemurata']For smart anime and manga, I recommend Monster. It was a phenomenal psychological thriller.[/QUOTE]
This is what I suggested in the last thread. I'll repeat myself - since Monster aired, there hasn't been a single show that's even come close to being as good.

I definitely rate Frontier above Plus and Zero... even based on this incomplete story. The characters are a lot more likable .....

In regards to a smart manga, everyone mentioned Monster already, but I prefer 20th Century Boys... also from the same author...

In fact there is a live action movie coming out for it in Japan this year!

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=CM4ckkcr1WU[/media]

Looking forward to it! I hope one day this series makes the jump to animated form...

The best manga story I've read.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']This is what I suggested in the last thread. I'll repeat myself - since Monster aired, there hasn't been a single show that's even come close to being as good.[/quote]

Indeed, Kirin. It is my favorite manga, and one of my favorite bits of anime.

[quote name='Chuplayer']I'm watching Bottle Fairy right now. I got it for super cheap during Rightstuf's Geneon sale. It's too cute![/quote]

I got it during the Geneon sale last year. I might start watching that. I could use some cuteness once in a while.

Also, PiQ is dead after four issues. ADV must be in worse shape than we thought. I liked the first issue that I bought.

monster was absolutely stunning for the first 10 episodes or so.. and then it was still excellent but not as intense as its intro. would recommend to relatively intelligent people that mistakenly think anime is only about flying magical girls or rape.

I'm really into that Vampire Knight too... caught up with both the anime and manga...

I love vampires, and I love cheesy love drama!

Win win

[quote name='AngellicLulu']I love Gentleman's Alliance. But what I've really been into is Vampire Knight. I'm big on the shojo beat mangas.[/QUOTE]
I like Vampire Knight too, but it's not as good as the other shojo I'm reading like Sand Chronicles and Gentleman's Alliance.

Lotta Monster love ITT for some strange reason.

I didn't find it enjoyable at all. o_O

I recommend you guys watch Shigofumi. It's amazing, though nobody's heard of it.

So I saw Akira today. I don't really think it was that great. None of the characters were really likable, and the conflict between Tesuo and Kenada is so old and played out that it just pisses me off. I also couldn't understand what the hell was going on through most of the movie. Of course, you may say that's because I'm stupid, but you must admit that tons of questions are left unanswered. Things just happen without any explanation, and I'm left with "It's a cartoon" whenever I try to make sense of it all. Visually, the movie is awesome. One notable thing that shows in the animation is the great lip syncing, but the way the characters move when talking is quite gratuitous. The part near the end with Tesuo is probably the most disturbing thing I've seen in anime. I don't watch much, but still. All in all, I find the movie unfulfilling. The high admiration it gets just makes me feel like I'm out of the loop.

Also, yes I know I'm about 18 or so years late.

[quote name='GTzerO']So I saw Akira today. I don't really think it was that great. None of the characters were really likable, and the conflict between Tesuo and Kenada is so old and played out that it just pisses me off. I also couldn't understand what the hell was going on through most of the movie. Of course, you may say that's because I'm stupid, but you must admit that tons of questions are left unanswered. Things just happen without any explanation, and I'm left with "It's a cartoon" whenever I try to make sense of it all. Visually, the movie is awesome. One notable thing that shows in the animation is the great lip syncing, but the way the characters move when talking is quite gratuitous. The part near the end with Tesuo is probably the most disturbing thing I've seen in anime. I don't watch much, but still. All in all, I find the movie unfulfilling. The high admiration it gets just makes me feel like I'm out of the loop.

Also, yes I know I'm about 18 or so years late.[/QUOTE]

You aren't stupid, they condensed the huge manga into one two hour movie, I feel much the same way about it really, stunning animation but the story makes no damn sense. I chalk up the love the movie gets to nostalgia and it being purely hand drawn.

I started Code Geass R2 and was loving it, even better than the first season, but decided to force myself to stop because I know I'd slit my wrists if I had to watch the second half of the season one episode per week... I'm waiting until it's all out, then I'll watch everything.

I tried watching Tengen Toppa again, it still sucks. I don't understand the universal praise. A couple weeks ago I plodded through the first four boring episodes, and today I just suffered through two more... this show is boring as hell. I can tell it's still getting started, every episode introduces a new character, but everyone is boring. Everything is boring, but especially the generic characters, and since there's no real plot (yet) other than "ROOOOOBOT FIIIIGHT!!!" it's easy to criticize the generic people who shout the generic lines. I expected much more from Gainax, especially given the budget.

[quote name='GTzerO']So I saw Akira today. I don't really think it was that great. None of the characters were really likable, and the conflict between Tesuo and Kenada is so old and played out that it just pisses me off. I also couldn't understand what the hell was going on through most of the movie. Of course, you may say that's because I'm stupid, but you must admit that tons of questions are left unanswered. Things just happen without any explanation, and I'm left with "It's a cartoon" whenever I try to make sense of it all. Visually, the movie is awesome. One notable thing that shows in the animation is the great lip syncing, but the way the characters move when talking is quite gratuitous. The part near the end with Tesuo is probably the most disturbing thing I've seen in anime. I don't watch much, but still. All in all, I find the movie unfulfilling. The high admiration it gets just makes me feel like I'm out of the loop.

Also, yes I know I'm about 18 or so years late.[/QUOTE]
Read the manga. 2,000 pages of a manga as complex as Akira cannot be turned into a 2 hour movie -- at least, not a good 2 hour movie. The movie is so overrated. They changed a lot and omitted even more, a lot of scenes end up being virtually inexplicable. It's dumb. IMO.

The manga actually seems cool, but I'm not really into that sort of thing. I only watched the movie because I had recognized the name and heard it was good. I"m unfulfilled, but I have no desire to see the source material.

Seems to me like they were just using Akira as an excuse to make a visually stunning anime movie. In that case, they should have built one from the ground up. Probably would've gotten the same amount of admiration. Of course, I have no idea how big that source material was in Japan or anything.

ADV deserves to go under if they think they are going to do good by re-releasing shows like Final Fantasy Unlimited & Noir in thinpaks w/ extras at a $90 SRP. They need to take a hint from Bandai and release full release bricks with $50 SRP's. Sure, you probably wont make as much money, but better to sell a lot of less profitable boxsets than go OOB because you dumped all your resources into shitty expensive releases.

I watched the first episode of Code Geass today. I'm not much for mech shows, but this looks like it may have a lot more to offer than your standard mech show. I'm gonna be watching this during my lunch breaks the next week or so.

Yeah, I'm typically not into mech shows much either. I think the reason I like Code Geass despite finding mech battles boring is because it's more about the strategy. The actual fighting is really short -- the focus isn't on the piloting or the abilities of the robots, but rather the planning, preparation and execution of both sides' macro strategies. It's easy to excuse the boring robot combat. It reminds me a bit of Full Metal Panic in that sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back