Rockband Drum Silencer $12 at gamecrazy

Picked these up from Best Buy over the weekend, removed the rims from the drums to apply 'em, but still lost sensitivity, even when hitting harder to try to make up the difference. Plan to return 'em tomorrow; ordered some Drumshhh's instead. Really hoping those are much better, because I'm moving into an apartment next week and don't want to enrage the neighbors.

[quote name='dejaandyroo']Picked these up from Best Buy over the weekend, removed the rims from the drums to apply 'em, but still lost sensitivity, even when hitting harder to try to make up the difference.[/QUOTE]
according to this http://www.rockbandmods.net/drums/official-rock-band-drum-pad-silencers-review , the official pads work better with QM drum sets. did you use it on an EL set?

to identify, you can use this guide: http://www.rockbandmods.net/drums/rock-band-drum-version-guide ; but basically, look underneath your drums for the serial number. does it end in EL, QM, or SL?

They're not BS.. they work fine for me.. then again, I didn't remove the original pads.. just kinda stuck these on over the top of the others. Reduced the noise, every note still gets detected.. I enjoy 'em.

[quote name='Scorch']They're not BS.. they work fine for me.. then again, I didn't remove the original pads.. just kinda stuck these on over the top of the others. Reduced the noise, every note still gets detected.. I enjoy 'em.[/quote]

They work just fine for me, too. And I just placed them over each pad without removing the rims. In fact, they solve my one pet peeve of the sound that's produced when someone hits the rims with the sticks. I initially had some trouble with my Red Pad, but I just actually need to hit in the center of it for notes to register now.

[quote name='thirtytwoutside']Or you could get some cheap + thin mouse pads, cut them into circles, and use those.[/QUOTE]

Beat me to it. I didn't want to buy mouse pads, so whenever I need dampening on the pads, I use socks and rubber bands. Works fine.

I also just got these and they are great. No more clickety-clack and when you do miss center you don't hit the plastic rim anymore. I don't think you're supposed to take off the plastic rims when you install these. I didn't and I found that I only lose sensitivity when I miss-hit at the edge of the pad, but now I can actually hear the drum notes from the game.

I bought them at GameCrazy last week and so far I love them, I know they aren't really anything special but at the same time I paid twelve dollars and can now play as hard as I'd like. It's really a great investment but now I'm going to have to get a mod kit for my pedal.

Find me a deal on one of those!

I made my own, i got some 2 mm rubber foam and some felt. Used a circle cutter to get nice circles, glued the felt to the foam rubber, used double sided scotch tape to tape the pads to the set, boom, instant silencer, all for about $5 in materials (the circle cutter cost more, but if you have one, or you can use a compass and scissors. Luckily, my ma had one). i had just a slight ammount of sensitivity loss, but not enough that cant be made up for by striking a bit harder. Now that I am used to it, i have no problems at all.

[quote name='rockytrh']I made my own, i got some 2 mm rubber foam and some felt. Used a circle cutter to get nice circles, glued the felt to the foam rubber, used double sided scotch tape to tape the pads to the set, boom, instant silencer, all for about $5 in materials (the circle cutter cost more, but if you have one, or you can use a compass and scissors. Luckily, my ma had one). i had just a slight ammount of sensitivity loss, but not enough that cant be made up for by striking a bit harder. Now that I am used to it, i have no problems at all.[/quote]

I was gonna go that route, but by the time I added up all the material cost, plus the cost of the cutter, it was cheaper to buy the official RB pads. Plus, I had credit at GS, so that helped.:)

[quote name='SoulReaver']Has anyone with an EL set had success with these?[/quote]

Hi SoulReaver - I have an EL set and they seem to work fine for me. Granted I'm not lightly tapping them (but I'm hitting them really hard either). My red drum pad has some trouble once in awhile, but I think that's been a fault of the drum set itself for awhile now.

Prior to having the silencers I had Premium Rock Band Drum Pads. To me they didn't suppress the sound as much as the silencers do.

So far so good with them on my EL set.

I have a QM set with the Vic Firth Mod and its awesome. The official ones looks and sound like the Vic Firth Mod. I tried them out on my old EL set (which I sent it for warranty replacement and got a QM), and it was missing a lot of hits. The QM sensors are more sensitive than the EL, which makes these silencer mods perfect.

I have a set on my drumkit. Works great. Deadens the clacking. After spending $30 on a set of drumsoft pads that fell apart within 2 weeks, these are very good and worth every penny. I picked them up a month or so ago, they look good as new, $20 @ circuit city...

[quote name='slippage']I went with http://www.drumpadsinc.com/ and I like them a lot. Much quieter and good response.[/QUOTE]

Not to thread-jack, but if you're not satisfied with the silencers, there's a whole array of drum pads out there. There's a post that links to a site that sells the gum rubber pads, which many people rave about. They say that the gum rubber gives a more drum-like bounce than the foam/felt silencers. Unfortunately, there's some sensitivity trade-offs with anything you put on your drums, and as you might know there's about three different models of drums now. Here's another site that has a myriad of drum pads/silencers and recommendations of which ones work with the QM, EL, and SL sets. http://www.rockbanddrumsoft.com/. I haven't bought any pads yet, but these have some favorable reviews. Of course $12 for some silencers is a pretty good deal.

Edit:
Didn't see that last post about the drumsoft pads falling apart. Which kind were they, so I can avoid those? The company seems to have just about every type of material, so it's still probably worth checking out for comparison purposes.

I recommend getting a generic set from ebay. They're just dense foam that you stick to the surface of the drums. They work pretty well (they won't completely silence the drums, but they do reduce the noise), and they work on any model because the don't go beyond the edge of the drum. I'm happy with the set I got that way, and they were pretty cheap. I paid $11.50 shipped for mine.

Ah. I didn't know they made revisions to the drum heads (I know about the pedal). So apparently my first-gen EL gets no love...

I have the silencers, and it feels like I'm missing more notes due to some dead spots. If you hit the area where the Rock Band logo is, it'll pick up the hit without issue. Once you go out, the sensitivity gets worse and worse. I pressed around the edges to get the adhesive to stick to the edge a little better which seems to help a little. They do make the drums dramatically quieter though.

Are these easy and clean to remove? I think it's time I take off the silencers and hope my drums breaks in time for a new one.

bread's done
Back