- - - - -

The Best Buy Gamer Gift Card Explained (RIP dear friend)

#1 bluetoast   sup. CAGiversary!   270 Posts   Joined 19.5 Years Ago  

bluetoast

Posted 12 September 2003 - 03:32 PM

for a quick link to this thread use, www.cheapassgamer.com/ggc

The Best Buy Gamer Gift Card Explained

Q: What is the Gamer Gift Card?

A:The Gamer Gift Card is basically a regular gift card.

Q: Okay, so if it's like a regular gift card, why is it such a big deal?

A: That's because on the back, you can see a $5 off any video game or game accessory $19.99 or up coupon. This is the sole reason that the Gift Card is so popular.

Q: Can I use the Gift Card on something that is not priced at $19.99?

A: Only if the employee is not paying attention. From what I've heard, the price stipulation is not set into the coupon itself. In other words, if you scan it and buy a game/accessory that is less than $19.99, it would scan.

Q: Where are they located?

A: First off, remember this is at Best Buy only. Once you enter the store they can generally be found in the games section or near the check-out counter. They come in CD cases, you can't miss it.

Q: How do I use the Gift Card?

A: You take the Gift Card, go to the cash register, and ask the person to activate it. You can put whatever amount on it, but I've been told that the minimum that you can put now is $5, but I have put 1 cent on it before. It depends on your employee.

Q: Can I use the Gift Card at the same time as when I buy the game?

A: Yes. Sometimes the employee will get irritated, but you are allowed to. In this situation this is what you ask the employee to do:

You have the game and the card and go to the checkout. Ask the employee to activate the Gamer Gift Card. Then ask them to scan the coupon.

The alternative is to buy the gift card, walk out of the store, walk back in, pick up the game, and use the card and coupon. In fact, you don't have to even walk out of the store, just go back to the games section.

Q: How much money should I put on the card?

A: Put whatever amount of money on the card, but I wouldn't put more than the cost of the game with the $5 subtracted, so you don't have credit left over.

So in general, if the game is $19.99, the coupon is $5 off, so the price is $14.99. You do not want to put on more than $14.99, otherwise you'll have money left over, and you could just as easily come back another time and buy another card (with a brand new coupon) than use the card with a few dollars and no coupon.

Q: Can I buy multiple Gift Cards?

A: Yes. I assume that they will get suspicious if you buy a whole stack and put on 1 cent each. And if you put on $1 each they probably will think you are a cheap ass for giving someone a $1 gift. But obviously put less than the prospective cost of the game.

Q: So what does the current Gift Card look like, and when does it expire?

A: The current $19.99 Gift Card is lime green with a generic controller as the cover. It expires at the end of this year (12/31/06).

A: In 2005, there were multi-console GGCs as well, but they were $5 off games $29.99 or higher.

What to tell the Cashier:

Q: What if the cashier gets suspicious when I want to put on a low amount?

First off, don't necessarily put on very low amounts like 1 cent if you can avoid it. People might get wise to the fact that the cards are only good for the coupon, so try to put something like $5 or more. It'll be used towards the price of the game anyway.

A: Tell them that there's a coupon on the back and you are using it for that.

Q: What if they say that you can put a minimum of only $5/$10/etc?

A: This may be the case now, so I would do it to avoid the hassle. You can simply use whatever amount towards the purchase of the game, so it doesn't really matter what you put on. Read the Long Answer for my old opinion on the matter, and read the Short Answer to try to put on very low amounts of money (i.e. 1 cent, 10 cents, etc).

Long Answer: I had put on one cent on multiple occasions. I went to a different Best Buy and asked them to do the same. The cashier, and then another higher up person said that the minimum was $5. I had said that I already put on one cent at another Best Buy. They said that "The policy must have changed." I subsequently went to that Best Buy and a few months later, I put on ten cents and it worked just fine. The card was simply not activated yet, so it can be used at a later time.

Short Answer: Tell them that you have put on a lower amount before, and it works just fine. [Although I would avoid doing this now]

If you can't use the GGC on the same purchase as the Game, just buy the GGC by itself, walk out, walk back in, pick up the game, use it. It takes more time, but at least it gets the job done.

Well, that's it for now, again, feel free to ask any more questions, and as always, post your experiences.

#2 BigDirty   Moderator Emeritus CAGiversary!   1518 Posts   Joined 19.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2003 - 03:40 PM

I've found the best thing if you're getting quite a number of them is to put $5 or $10 on each one, when doing that, any questions are really prevented.

Another option to do is to get the GC using this formula:

(Cost of Game - $5.00 coupon) * 1.XX = amount to get card for

1.XX is used to multiply for tax purposes, example for F-Zero is as follows:

(49.99-5.00)*1.06=47.69 so you should put that much on the card.

49.99 is the cost of the game,
1.06 represents 6% NJ sales tax, adjust appropriately for your state and city.

#3 dynamite99   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   193 Posts   Joined 19.3 Years Ago  

dynamite99

Posted 12 September 2003 - 11:06 PM

ok u pay $5 for the card, u save $5 on the game, it's like nothing ever happen :? im confuse

#4 logos999   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   9 Posts   Joined 19.5 Years Ago  

logos999

Posted 12 September 2003 - 11:32 PM

If you put $5 on the card and get a $5 coupon, they don't take your gift card. The whole point is that you get a $5 coupon in addition to the money you put on the gift card. $5 + $5 not $5 - $5.

#5 rocky76   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   150 Posts   Joined 19.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 September 2003 - 02:17 PM

this is great, but I don't think you can combine coupons, so I wouldn't get giftcard with 1 cent on it.
If too many people start getting stack of gift cards and putting 1 cent, BB will surely stop the program...
I would probably stick with 15 dollars or something - I don't think they sell anything below $20 for PS2 anyways.

#6 Ghaleon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1023 Posts   Joined 19.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 September 2003 - 03:50 PM

Does this $5 off coupon work with PC Games as well?

#7 BigDirty   Moderator Emeritus CAGiversary!   1518 Posts   Joined 19.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 September 2003 - 04:04 PM

Good question, I've never tried on PC titles... I don't see why not, but if someone can give the details of the fine print regarding this would me much appreciated.

Would come in handy for UT-04.

#8 Ghaleon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1023 Posts   Joined 19.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 September 2003 - 04:32 PM

I wanna use it to buy Generals - Zero Hour this week for 19.99 vs 24.99 I asked yesterday but of the dumbasses who actually work at best buy said no, gonna try again today and report back with my findings.

#9 DisturbedZen   I'm illegal CAGiversary!   1701 Posts   Joined 19.6 Years Ago  

DisturbedZen

Posted 22 September 2003 - 09:33 PM

I have tried it on PC games and no positive ones.. I believe twice Ive done it.. But it doesnt ring up.. So we get screwed...

#10 gamefreak   PC Guru CAGiversary!   652 Posts   Joined 19.2 Years Ago  

gamefreak

Posted 23 September 2003 - 02:28 AM

the coupon is not valid w/ other coupons right? cause then if the person was stupid enough buy 5 of the cards @ $1 each (say it's a joke for a friend) then go back and you now have a $30 game for $5. of course like i said it's probably only 1 coupon per perchase. any varification?

#11 saladdays   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   6 Posts   Joined 19.2 Years Ago  

saladdays

Posted 26 September 2003 - 06:23 PM

the coupon is not valid w/ other coupons right? cause then if the person was stupid enough buy 5 of the cards @ $1 each (say it's a joke for a friend) then go back and you now have a $30 game for $5. of course like i said it's probably only 1 coupon per perchase. any varification?

Good point. Does anyone know this for sure?

#12 BigDirty   Moderator Emeritus CAGiversary!   1518 Posts   Joined 19.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 September 2003 - 06:42 PM

Common sense would say you can't do that

#13 saladdays   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   6 Posts   Joined 19.2 Years Ago  

saladdays

Posted 26 September 2003 - 09:00 PM

Yes, common sense would say that. But you never know when dealing with retail people.

#14 JimmieMac   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7764 Posts   Joined 19.1 Years Ago  

JimmieMac

Posted 10 October 2003 - 02:37 PM

Here's an add on for this trick if you have a Rewards Card:

When getting the gift card, put the final total of the game on the Gift card and have them scan your Rewards Card then when you buy the game have them scan your Rewards Card again.

It's like doubling your points for one transaction.

#15 danh920   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1351 Posts   Joined 19.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2003 - 11:51 PM

Does this $5 off coupon work with PC Games as well?

I was able to get $5 off the diablo 2 expansion so as far as I know it does work on pc titles

#16 Bdawg   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   1 Posts   Joined 19.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 October 2003 - 01:06 AM

Maybe its just the two Best Buys I go to but the employees seem to have a really tough time figuring out how to work the coupon. I always seem to end up in the store for like a half hour with a half dozen assistant managers trying to get the coupon to ring up. I've done this at least 10 times and it gets to be more of a pain every time.

#17 JimmieMac   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7764 Posts   Joined 19.1 Years Ago  

JimmieMac

Posted 20 October 2003 - 06:49 PM

Yeah, me too. I think they do that to try and break your spirit.

#18 BigDirty   Moderator Emeritus CAGiversary!   1518 Posts   Joined 19.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 October 2003 - 07:27 PM

Actually I think it's because they're easily confused. ;)

It's not a every day coupon that they'll see hundreds of in a weekend (like the preferred customer coupon pamphlets). Most of the cashiers probably aren't aware of them, and same goes for the low level management.

Just keep using them, and maybe someone will remember how to ring one in.

#19 Egg_Shen   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   28 Posts   Joined 19.4 Years Ago  

Egg_Shen

Posted 20 October 2003 - 07:28 PM

best buy doesnt care how you use these they are not getting manipulated by anybody since they recieve manufacturer rebates from the game companies your buying from. This coming from the worker.

#20 polobearjp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   204 Posts   Joined 19.3 Years Ago  

polobearjp

Posted 20 October 2003 - 09:22 PM

Here's an add on for this trick if you have a Rewards Card:

When getting the gift card, put the final total of the game on the Gift card and have them scan your Rewards Card then when you buy the game have them scan your Rewards Card again.

It's like doubling your points for one transaction.

If you look on the Rewards Zone site, it states that you don't get points if you use your card to purchase gift cards. The cashier will scan your Rewards Card nonetheless but if you look at your balance down the line, it won't be credit for the gift card purchase...

#21 Abbott White   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   1 Posts   Joined 19.2 Years Ago  

Abbott White

Posted 22 October 2003 - 07:01 PM

Has anyone got away with using the Gamer Gift card on $15 or $10 games?

#22 bluetoast   sup. CAGiversary!   270 Posts   Joined 19.5 Years Ago  

bluetoast

Posted 01 November 2003 - 05:48 AM

I believe some people have, but only if the cashier isn't paying attention.

#23 rocky76   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   150 Posts   Joined 19.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 November 2003 - 04:39 PM

What's wrong with bestbuy?!!
I tried to use gamer's gift card, and the guy forget to scan the coupon. so he scans it and it doesn't work... invalid code or something.
I guess coupon must be scanned before the giftcard. so manager comes and does it again.. it works but comes up as 0 dollar off...
Whoever is working on bestbuy check out counter system is very incompetent...

#24 Gothic Walrus   Goo Goo G'Joob. CAGiversary!   10005 Posts   Joined 19.3 Years Ago  

Gothic Walrus

Posted 08 November 2003 - 08:01 PM

Can you use the coupon to take $5 off an ad-matched price?

#25 bluetoast   sup. CAGiversary!   270 Posts   Joined 19.5 Years Ago  

bluetoast

Posted 08 November 2003 - 08:33 PM

I'm pretty sure that after you price match, they consider it the "base price." In that case, you should be able to do what you normally do with any Best Buy goods.

#26 guessed   Newbie CAGiversary!   8659 Posts   Joined 19.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2003 - 10:01 PM

I'm pretty sure that after you price match, they consider it the "base price." In that case, you should be able to do what you normally do with any Best Buy goods.

It depends on the manager on duty at the time. I tried price matching nemo and ice age (dvds, but same principle) and then getting the $5 off for buying nemo with one of the other advertised family dvds (of which ice age was one), and it was no-go. They wouldn't even let me take the BB price and use the BB 10% off disney dvds coupon + get the $5 off. I know some people were able to do price match, $5 off, and 10% off dvd, kinda annoyed me, I ended up getting nemo at wally world, and I'll wait till ice age is $10 or less, no rush. The GG coupon says not valid with other offers, so if they decide to take the line that price match is another offer, there isn't much you can do besides go to another BB or wait for a different manager to come on duty.

#27 bluetoast   sup. CAGiversary!   270 Posts   Joined 19.5 Years Ago  

bluetoast

Posted 08 November 2003 - 10:30 PM

Hmm...it's a good point. Yeah some managers are tough like that, considering every little thing an "offer."

EDIT: NOV. 26

Yesterday I went to Best Buy, and told my brother to use the GGC to buy Mario and Luigi. I took the card, and asked the cashier to activate it. She stared at me for a few seconds. I said "What about it?" She said, "Either way, you're still paying for it." I was thinking, 'I guess so, you idiot, but I save $5.'

So then I put on 25 cents on the card, and she says "What are you going to do with 25 cents?" I say "Just put it on, I've done it before, I've put on a penny before, in this store, it works." She does so, and then I guess she probably felt pretty stupid, since then I said "And now can I use this coupon here?" Then my dad told her, "See, this has a $5 off coupon, that's why he used it." I didn't even get a "have a nice day" after the transaction.

All in all, it was a frustrating transaction, my dad told me I didn't have to be so rude. My little brother thought that the lady would be fired sooner or later because she made the comment about 25 cents in a rude way. I didn't know she didn't know about the GGC and the $5 off. She just thought it was a normal gift card. I agree, maybe it was a little mean of me, but if she stared at me for a few seconds, I felt like snapping back, because of all my previous experiences with the GGC, and the fact that I really didn't want to do it again.

I actually think it wouldn't be a bad idea to memorize all the number they have to type in for the coupon, and then recite back to them: "You press 071634 and type in coupon code number 229304, swipe the card, etc." That would be pretty funny. Ah Best Buy...

#28 video_gamer324   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1504 Posts   Joined 19.2 Years Ago  

video_gamer324

Posted 04 December 2003 - 12:23 AM

Just a reminder to everyone - if you buy or have bought the GGC in the green case, make sure you use the coupon by the end of this month - it expires 12/31/03. If you're buying the GGC as a gift for someone else (as it was intended to be used) or like to wait on using the coupon, get the one that comes in a silver case - it doesn't expire until the end of '04.

#29 rapsodist   My Heart Is a 16-Bit Chip CAGiversary!   3122 Posts   Joined 19.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 December 2003 - 01:36 AM

I picked up Mario & Luigi and Sword of Mana for $20 each, thanks to the Gamer Gift Card. I think I'll pick up a few more GGCs to use over the next year. I didn't have much of a problem with my local Best Buy: the coupon didn't scan correctly (it came up as a $0.00 discount) but the employee made a simple deduction so the receipt read $19.99 per game with a $0.00 discount. :P The employee did scan the coupon before scanning the gift cards, so it's not a problem of which comes first. The coupons just don't work properly...

#30 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4980 Posts   Joined 19.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2003 - 08:23 AM

I just buy about 3 at once for 1 cent each. They cannot deny you, as you could sue them. :)