Some ebay message making the rounds on the intrawebz

Will

CAGiversary!
Feedback
105 (100%)
Saw this posted more than once, thought Id copy and paste...Im sure its non-sense but then again, I thought ebay wouldnt take away a sellers option to leave a negative for a shitty buyer...

Theres alot of crap to it to read and Im posting it all-

*edit* TO MAKE THINGS A BIT EASIER ON SOME, BELOW THIS EDIT IS WHERE THE COPY/PASTE INFO STARTS FROM WHAT I READ AND THOUGHT ID PASS ALONG HERE. EVERYTHING ABOVE THIS EDIT IS ALL ME*

This was been sent by an employee of eBay, and bears much truth. It explains their future intensions as well as their past behavior. If any of these predictions come true (as opposed to some changes in favor of the seller), it will be a clear signal from eBay of their true intensions. I went to eBay's annual meeting in Chicago, and was privately told similar things by two eBay employees who spoke to me privately at the event.

There is widespread seller revolt, and listings and sales are way down. If they really do not care (as purported in this upcomming message), they will not reverse the Feedback decision, but work further to discriminate against buyers. If they do care about the smaller sellers, they will reverse some of their previous decisions.

I posted this at the feedback forum at eBay.I should have known. My ID will be toast soon anyway. This was the only other place I thought where my statement might have an impact. Do with it what you will. After Chicago, my only desire is to be heard.

There will be those who will not believe me and I sympathize. I wish the facts were fiction but to deny what I know would be to live in a fairyland of make-believe. I understand that the bulk of this "manifesto" reveals a plot so against the spirit of eBay that it will be dismissed as lie. So be it. I cannot force the world to accept it. All I can do is state the truth as I know it and leave it to you and to your common sense and experience to judge.

The deck is stacked against me. Aside from the natural resistance to believe I know that the boards are stocked with eBay's tools. Their goal will be to discredit me. I will be accused of being a "disgruntled", "paranoid", and "emotional" seller. Their words will be specially chosen for effect. That is part of the function of the tools and I am not fazed by it. However, to protect my own identity within the corporation, I cannot be too specific lest the details single me out to the powers that be.

What I intend to reveal is common knowledge to many in the management division behind the scenes.

By the way, the tools are not only the mouthpieces that promote the policies. The psychological tactics employed by the powers that be are far deeper and grander than that. The subtlety of the method is remarkable. The tools come in a wide range of flavors with their own, individual "characteristic" rhetoric. From those who are "for" the policy - and spread various degrees of hostility toward the sellers - to those who are "against" the change - and spread panic and further the divide with the buyers. Both serve the same exact purpose: a manipulation designed to remove the more involved and savvy small to large sellers who will not fit into eBay's future business plan.

First, let me correct the record regarding the concept of sellers extorting positive feedback. While the violation was known to happen, the activity amounted to less than a tenth of a percent of the yearly transactions. Further, it involved sellers whose feedback percentages were below 80%. The absolute majority of sellers did not engage in such practices. Nevertheless, the powers that be could not resist the fact that promoting this notion of feedback extortion as a wide-spread phenomenon would be the perfect cover with which to hide the true intentions of the policy.

The powers that be want to transform eBay into an overstock warehouse venue. A kind of outlet store for the internet much like a cheaper and streamlined version of Amazon. From a strictly business point of view, given the size of eBay and the growing costs of doing business, it makes a certain kind of sense to shift gears. Think about it: when eBay started, sellers were about rare and unique items but here and now the majority of items are common, used counterparts of what can be found new online at retail sites. Truly rare and unique items are sold at real auctions; the "stuff in your attic" isn't glamorous enough and won't keep eBay afloat any longer.

The trend away from the rare and unique to the big box retailer is not new. Several years ago the powers that be noticed that the big "powersellers" were simply listing items that existed in their retail stores or inventories. Thus the concept of "buy it now", "best offer", and "eBay stores" were created. It was the nascent stage of the plan yet to be. Little by little, without the population noticing, the mechanisms required to replicate the average retail storefront were already in place - and with its rise came the slow, steady downfall of the auction format.

Yet outright pursuit of a retail venue would have led to a major problem that at the time could not have been surmounted. The vast majority of people, on and off line, know eBay as precisely the place for auctions of rare and unique items. The sellers and buyers held onto that perception too but in truth their opinion even involvement in new and improved version of eBay is irrelevant by a certain Machiavellian calculation made by the powers that be. As part of the plan, eBay calculated thus: even if they lost the sellers as part of the change, the buyers will be coming back to buy regardless of who or what operated within the retail-outlet venue.

No, it was the stock holders who the powers that be feared.

Only the stockholders had the power to change the direction set forth by the CEO and the board. So it became imperative to change the equation. Part of the plan is to devalue the stock gradually so that investors merely dumped the stock as opposed to wanting managerial change ala Yahoo. Then to buy back the stock at lower cost and to such a volume that no rebellion against the powers that be were possible.

By the end of July that phase of the plan will be successful and there est of the plan will be revealed without fear of backlash from those who otherwise would have had the power to pull eBay back from the brink.
Indeed, if you believe the current changes are obvious signals that small sellers are not wanted - be prepared - you have seen nothing yet.

So far what have they done? All they have managed to do is silence a seller's ability to warn others about buyers (half of the purpose behind the original idea of feedback), burden you with higher and higher fees, dangle "treats" like discounts while setting the bar of eligibility so high that the rewards cannot be reached. and, by the way PayPal deals with "complaints" leave you vulnerable to fraud. What if worse was yet to come?

They know if you do not feel safe that you will not use eBay. The changes that have been enacted only eliminates the small sellers. Meanwhile they want to eradicate the mid-sized seller too. And they want to ensure that both do not return.

For the mid-sized seller the DSR became the tool of choice. The powers that be raised the level of what is a good seller artificially high. No manipulation is required; they know exactly the effect of the policy. This is why buyers are told that 4 is a good score and sellers are told that 4.9 yields discounts and higher listing placements. As long as that fractured point of view exists, eBay does not need to interfere with the DSR as has been suggested, the buyers will be killing the sellers naturally.

By August there will be no pretense and the intentions of the new and improved eBay will be clear. The following is only a partial list of the rules that will be imposed. It comes from a memo that circulated within my corner of the managerial department the week before Chicago. I cannot be too specific about certain items and I cannot reveal details of the latest additions without endangering my anonymity.

1. Neutrals will be converted to negatives complete with red icons and reduced feedback scores. Afterward neutrals will not be offered as a choice of feedback.

2. The entire process of feedback will be automated. Buyers and sellers will chose standard feedback from a list. For sellers this operation will be performed automatically upon the buyer winning. For buyers there will be an extra free line with which to add a few comments about the seller without restriction to content. Replies will not be allowed.

3. The implementation of a stricter rules regarding shipping. From the boxes, packing, labels and tapes to where you can buy postage. Orders have been placed for prototypes of "eBay" boxes. UPS and FedEx will be instructed not to accept "eBay" merchandise if it's not inside "eBay" boxing. They will know, of course, because when sellers buy the "eBay" postage from the "eBay" source, a detailed list of contents with item numbers will be available to the shippers upon scanning a bar code. As for those who continue to use USPS, another level of quality control will be implemented - buyers will be asked, upon confirmation of delivery, if the seller used "eBay" standard shipping items. Naturally, no verification of the buyer's truthfulness will be attempted, and continued 'infractions' will result in suspension. eBay will have other ways to check if a seller is not using the "eBay" equipment - as they will be required to buy at cost the supplies immediately after items are listed. (This is such a large scale operation behind the scenes that I feel comfortable sharing as much of it as I know.)

4. Sales taxes will be included automatically; shipping cost and sales taxes will be used to determined FVF.

5. Item descriptions will be "standardized" with templates which include the posting of a new, universal return policy. Only yearly subscribers to the retail-outlet venue can opt out of these universal return policies but even they cannot alter the template structures being devised.

6. Strikes against buyers will be eliminated as the whole concept of a buyer and bidding will be altered. FVF will be calculated when payment is submitted.

7. Time to Close will be eliminated entirely. Best Match will be the non-alterable default. Best Match is a system that caters to the needs of shoppers not bidders.

8. Placement within Best Match will be determined by several factors, the most important of which will be the extra display features added onto the listing.

9. DSRs can be removed by retailers and powersellers who pay a certain yearly fee.

10. The end play itself which consists of four phases:
a) the main focus shifts to retail sellers whose fees are on a per listing basis
b) stores will be replaced by a classified section, fees will be based on yearly subscriptions and FVFs
c) occasional auctions will be conducted for unique items (celebrity auctions, items that have been featured on the news, etc.)
d) total elimination of auctions for regular sellers.

From the point of view of eBay's agenda to change gears these alteration make sense. The powers that be want to turn eBay into a retail venue format. Therefore the "buyer" must be changed - bidding and commitments to buy are part of the past. In a retail venue, the item is either in your cart or not and you only commit to buy when you pay at checkout. The seller is also redefined in the way they will be required to do business. They will be forced to copy the methods of retail stores.

The goal is to become Amazon Lite. Unlike Amazon the merchandise will be stocked by the retailers in their warehouses, eBay will be just an electronic centralized venue for outlet sale - a "trusted" name with a wide customer base and popular name recognition.

That is the future and as I write this I know that it cannot be stopped. There are no investors with enough clout and will to challenge the CEO. Stock holders will simply walk away. eBay will not sink, however, it will be exactly in the position its rulers intend it to be at.

Sellers, my advice is simple. You are not wanted. Leave. If you stay, you will be crushed. Leave. Go away. You cannot win.

I am sorry because for too long I have been a complicit tool behind the scenes. I was part of those teams and think tanks that spearheaded many of the "innovations" you know very well and which will be used to destroy you. I know I will not be believed. I will be mocked and ridiculed by the tools and even those who are real, actual people will be hesitant to accept what I have to say. What has been done to this community, the plots and schemes hatched in meetings and across memos, is far, far worse to endure within my soul than any treatment I will receive at the hands of the tools by posting this. You do not know how much they hate you. It is my conscience that I want to clear going forward. Again I apologize. There should have been a better way for the powers that be to effect the change they wanted for eBay - instead they succumbed to cloak and dagger deception.

prolly BS but we will see. I am about done with eBay.. I use it to dump crap I cant sell on Amazon

I totally believe it. It makes sense. eBay is becoming more of a online retail outlet than an auction site. The whole "powers that be" thing and the hate of the small seller is a bit much.

It's probally true, nearly all of their changes have been things that Amazon has been doing for awhile now. Of course eBay finds a way to make it alot worse.

Interesting. About the only good thing in there is the charging of FVF's only when the buyer pays. I'd welcome that! And they ought to instantly refund all listing fees if the buyer doesn't pay but that won't ever happen ;).

the "ebay" branded shipping products would be the end of it for me. I depend on getting cheap shipping stuff to even make selling tolerable. In any case, I have pretty much stopped like many others. But I'd like the option of being able to sell things every once in a while after I spent so many years building up great feedback. Meh, we'll see I guess...

Note that I'm also a stockholder so this notion of devaluing the stock so they can buy it back intrigues me. Yet, that is probably the least believable part of the whole thing. In general, stockholders won't care one bit as long as ebay becomes more profitable.

I'll file this one right next to:

"The US gov't is going to start charging for emails!!11!!"

and...

"forward this to 10 friends and you will win the lottery!!11!! The last person to not forward this fell into months of bad luck and died!!11"

Please... people... let chain letters and spam die. I'd like to think that this far into this thing we call "teh interwebs lol", we'd all be intelligent enough to be beyond forwarding spam, in any way.

But for some.. maybe not.

And learn to spell "intention" while you're at it.

[quote name='jimflox']I'll file this one right next to:

and...

"forward this to 10 friends and you will win the lottery!!11!! The last person to not forward this fell into months of bad luck and died!!11"

Please... people... let chain letters and spam die. I'd like to think that this far into this thing we call "teh interwebs lol", we'd all be intelligent enough to be beyond forwarding spam, in any way.

And learn to spell "intention" while you're at it.[/quote]

I agree wit that but not the part where you were bashing the OP. Little uncalled for.
I think it's a silly spam message to try and scare people. If it is true, then it's no big deal really, but thanks for the information anyways OP/ I would take that info with a grain of salt.

If this happens, I'll be done with eBay FOREVER. I will switch to any other auction site. Congrats eBay, if this is true, you just fcuked yourself in the ass.

[quote name='io']the "ebay" branded shipping products would be the end of it for me. I depend on getting cheap shipping stuff to even make selling tolerable. [/quote]

This won't bother me, since I use Government mail to ship stuff. Ebay can't order the government to refuse "non-ebay" boxes.

I expect to see an antitrust case filed soon. U.S. versus Ebay.

[quote name='Access_Denied']If this happens, I'll be done with eBay FOREVER. [childish remark removed][/quote]

Yea, this is sort of their point.

[quote name='jimflox']I'll file this one right next to:

and...

And learn to spell "intention" while you're at it.[/QUOTE]

*sigh*...what part of copy and paste did you not understand? Apparently youre the only fucktard that didnt understand where my words ended and the copy paste job began.

So how would eBay order shipping places to not accept their boxes? Why would the shipping places care? It's not like they won't get paid if it's not an eBay box or something. And would this slow shipping dramatically if the seller has to order an eBay box before they can even ship things out?

I have already pretty much shifted from ebay to amazon already. Selling on eBay is too much of a hassle now. I don't 100% agree with the post, but it explain why certain steps are being taken. I wish another auction site would come into play that could compete.

So hows that gamegavel site ive been hearing about? All I sell on ebay is games really so if this is true then fuck em. Ill use a different site. Not amazon though. Amazons fees are worse than ebays.

[quote name='Will']*sigh*...what part of copy and paste did you not understand? [/quote]

As he said, "Please... people... let chain letters and spam die." He thinks you should not have copied that message to here.

I, for one, am glad you did.

[quote name='YodaEXE']So how would eBay order shipping places to not accept their boxes? Why would the shipping places care? It's not like they won't get paid if it's not an eBay box or something. And would this slow shipping dramatically if the seller has to order an eBay box before they can even ship things out?[/QUOTE]

That was the part that made me pretty much dismiss this, UPS and Fed Ex aren't going to turn away costumers

Well, eBay is no longer about flea market values, but a new online store for folks anyway. But this guy goes on and on about oh woe is me, ebay is evil for 5 or 6 paragrpahs at the start it's hard to take seriously.

There are other auction sites, all with free listings. One of them will become the new old ebay.

It's ebay's new search which makes it harder to find items that's the real problem. They also eliminated a fix to an old problem I brought up before. They move the search bar, so everythign saved in the form field is gone. Which means les searchings by folks. They actually listened when I complained way back when, yet have deided to unfix it.

Oh well. I'm using Amazon for more deals anyway. And I can get new items cheaper than bidding on eBay. But they have brand recognition for Auction, not Seller. Might not be as profitable as they're hoping for.

post at Ebay Forums said:
So a friend of a friend knew for a fact, because the chairmans maid told her best friend... These ramblings may be based in fact, but he's not doing himself any favors with his so-called source.

The deck is stacked against me.
Okay look, reading over this post, the guy is clearly wanting to sound like some martyr and is more than slightly paranoid (they're after me, my name is mud, their tools are everywhere, they play mind games or their psychological tactics, et cetera). Again, that doesn't mean what he's saying can't be based in fact, but he's destroyed his own credibility with the childish "everyone is against me!" plea.

Truly rare and unique items are sold at real auctions; the "stuff in your attic" isn't glamorous enough and won't keep eBay afloat any longer.
I don't think garage sale items were the main source of eBays revenue for many years now. When I first started at eBay it was mostly used goods, but that was nigh on ten years ago, and the traffic eBay saw was a fraction of what it is now. Could be absolutely wrong but I doubt ye olde eBay auction block of old stuff sitting in the attic is going away. If anything it sounds as if they're going to be implementing a new side, much like half.com is a part of eBay.

Little by little, without the population noticing, the mechanisms required to replicate the average retail storefront were already in place - and with its rise came the slow, steady downfall of the auction format.
How is it wrong of them to encourage resellers to use their service of matching sellers to buyers? If anything, it's been the sellers choice. Do you want to do an auction, do you want to do a storefront, do you want to do a BiN? How are choices a problem?

No, it was the stock holders who the powers that be feared.
This made me bust out laughing. If I owned ebay stock, they better fear me. If a company is publicly traded, it is their OBLIGATION to satisfy their stock holders. Yes it's sad if the flavor of an old favorite is changed, but if that makes money, thats the name of the game. I'm sorry if this guy never studied business or economics, but that one line sounds so Jr High School, it's sad.

Only the stockholders had the power to change the direction set forth by the CEO and the board. So it became imperative to change the equation. Part of the plan is to devalue the stock gradually so that investors merely dumped the stock as opposed to wanting managerial change ala Yahoo. Then to buy back the stock at lower cost and to such a volume that no rebellion against the powers that be were possible.
Uh huh. If this guy is right on this count, why isn't he suing? I'm pretty sure the FTC would listen if he had any sort of source for this theory.

So far what have they done? All they have managed to do is silence a seller's ability to warn others about buyers (half of the purpose behind the original idea of feedback), burden you with higher and higher fees, dangle "treats" like discounts while setting the bar of eligibility so high that the rewards cannot be reached. and, by the way PayPal deals with "complaints" leave you vulnerable to fraud. What if worse was yet to come?
The feedback change is absolutely an idiotic idea. The complaint resolution set up is fraught with potential for buyers to abuse, but there are sellers who've used similar tactics and have swindled buyers just as well. Selling and buying on there is a risk, it would be fantastic if they cleaned things up to better support those who earn them their capital, but it is what it is right now. A chance. We either take the chance with the hope of coming out ahead by reaching the largest clientele, or we go somewhere else and have very few people see our listings.

There's more, but this is to silly for now. If they want to make less money by getting rid of smaller and middle tier sellers, then that's their perogative. I just have a hard time believing they'd want to do that.

[quote name='rrrrrroger']As he said, "Please... people... let chain letters and spam die." He thinks you should not have copied that message to here.

I, for one, am glad you did.[/QUOTE]

I think by the title, although I could be wrong which some people obviously think I am, the title was a bit sarcastic and fun to the extent were I didnt think people would take what I posted as the gospel and would go into it not so super serious.

He didnt like the title to my thread yet still clicked on it and decided to post and bitch about what was posted. Nobody forced them to click on the f'n thread.

We will see. I would laugh though if this happened.. It would actually give me some free time back.. I have told myself I am done there for a while now, then every month or so I have another 5-10 things to sell.

It's false, because if ebay follows through, they will alienate most of their current sellers (their customers).
Most sellers on ebay are not retail stores. They are in fact, moms and pops, selling crap from their attic.

Here are some numbers:
Ebay has declared that they have over 180 million users (in an article from 2006).

The website sellerdome.com lists the top 1 million sellers (by feedback score). Seller number 1,000,000 only has a 739 feedback.
That means that the other 179 million ebay users have bought/sold less than 739 items. They are all just regular folks like us.

So by changing their policies to cater to retail sellers, they stand to alienate 99.5% of their users.

[quote name='Snake2715']I have told myself I am done there for a while now, then every month or so I have another 5-10 things to sell.[/quote]

Me too, but I am waiting for November. One giant "leaving Ebay" sale. If my profile gets trashed with lots'o'negs --- so be it.

i believe it. the whole feedback thing is a mess.. i cant see them as an "amazon clone" but its definitely possible within a few years if they can pull it off. they should just transition half.com instead.

[quote name='guinaevere']
How is it wrong of them to encourage resellers to use their service of matching sellers to buyers? If anything, it's been the sellers choice. Do you want to do an auction, do you want to do a storefront, do you want to do a BiN? How are choices a problem?[/quote]maybe thats the problem.. they gave out too many choices, thus lowering auction revenues since its set at a price. some BiN are too low to make monkey from, and some auctions are just ridiculously expensive that you'll never see it sell out.

I was thinking, there's a pretty easy way to get around not being able to leave a negative for buyers.

If the buyer is a seller, couldn't you just buy the cheapest thing they are selling and then leave them negative feedback for it?

I'm not saying i'd do it (have zero negative feedback anyways) but it's an interesting idea.

[quote name='techstar25']It's false, because if ebay follows through, they will alienate most of their current sellers (their customers).
Most sellers on ebay are not retail stores. They are in fact, moms and pops, selling crap from their attic.

Here are some numbers:
Ebay has declared that they have over 180 million users (in an article from 2006).

The website sellerdome.com lists the top 1 million sellers (by feedback score). Seller number 1,000,000 only has a 739 feedback.
That means that the other 179 million ebay users have bought/sold less than 739 items. They are all just regular folks like us.

So by changing their policies to cater to retail sellers, they stand to alienate 99.5% of their users.[/quote]

That statistic needs to be included with how much volume do those top million produce?

Its like that statistic (im just guessing on the true number) that says 1% of Americans have 95% of the wealth here. If the top million ebay feedback users create 95% of ebay's revenue, then it makes business sense to cater to them.
who knows if that is true though =]

Wow...

Summary of the changes for Video game selling:

1) All listing fees go to 15 cents for any starting value (nice, but they more than make up for it below)
2) Can list items up to 30 days now
3) Closing fees go from 8.75% to 15%!
4) Maximum shipping charge is $4 - that's usually what I charge anyway for a regular game but I wonder how this works with things like Mario Kart Wii, etc (never sold one but it would cost more than $4 to ship).

Anyway, glad I've ramped down my eBay stuff. I pretty much only sell to clear out junk I'm tired of looking at now.

They are going to drive some buyers away with only allow credit cars or paypal. They are going to drive sellers away with tying to control the shipping cost of media items. the new Biy it now is now unfair to auctions. I cna see e-bay trying to become e-bay lite. The funny part is that I still trust amazone and would shop with them first bfore ebay, cuase they are a real company, and not trying act like one by selling through Mom and POP shops,

yea i had the same question about the shipping charges... halo 3 version with helmet... $4 shipping? yea right. what about wii fit?

i also don't see the 30 day listing for buy it now fixed auctions as a benefit -- this is how i listed most of my stuff since i could name a price without the auction format. but i don't want a 30 day format. 3, 5 & 7 are fine because they will end within a reasonable timeframe. but those won't be an option anymore... it will be 30 days period. which effectively removes them as an option for anything but store-style auctions.

They aren't taking away 3, 5, 7, and 10 day listings. This part is actually nice - they are giving you the option (at no extra fee) to go with 10 or 30 days. It used to cost extra for 10 days. There are certain items I would use the 30 days on for sure. It always sucked when a fixed price listing just ended and you had to relist and pay more fees. That is the only good part of the whole set of changes though.

Note that you can't even list items if your DSR's are under 4.3! While mine (and most people's) are above that, it wouldn't take much to knock you below that threshold. It wouldn't seem to most buyers that giving 4 out of 5 stars for any of those categories amounts to a death sentence for a seller - usually 4 out of 5 is pretty good. They have really hosed things up with those DSRs.

As for shipping fees, I'm not sure how Mario Kart, Wii Fit, and Halo Legendary would be handled. They have $4 as the max for games, $6 for accessories, $4 for "other", and $15 for systems. So, yeah, I guess selling those bigger items like Wii Fit (would count as an accessory at best) will just not be done any more. Note that they also try to entice you to offer free shipping by giving you a 50 cent subtitle for free.

I experimented a bit with free shipping on my last set of auctions. I'm not sure if it made any difference (it is hard to tell on fixed-price listings) but they all sold. I think they got bumped up in the search rankings too, which might make some difference. I guess you just price the shipping into the BIN price and eBay gets 15% of that now - plus the PayPal fees of course :bomb:.

[quote name='io']Wow...

1) All listing fees go to 15 cents for any starting value (nice, but they more than make up for it below)
4) Maximum shipping charge is $4 - that's usually what I charge anyway for a regular game but I wonder how this works with things like Mario Kart Wii, etc (never sold one but it would cost more than $4 to ship).

Anyway, glad I've ramped down my eBay stuff. I pretty much only sell to clear out junk I'm tired of looking at now.[/quote]

That is a whopper of a Final Value Fee increase. That is only for fixed prices though? That 15% is the same as Amazon isn't it?

And now I've got some jerk-ass buyer filing a not received dispute on a game that was delivered July 28th :bomb:. They bought it, said they didn't want it so I refunded them, then they changed their mind and did want it, but wanted it shipped to a second address - all over a $9 game... Then a month later they file with PayPal without contacting me first and say they never got it. Ebay - remind me again why I'd want to deal with this kind of crap AND pay much higher fees? :roll:

[quote name='io']4) Maximum shipping charge is $4 - that's usually what I charge anyway for a regular game but I wonder how this works with things like Mario Kart Wii, etc (never sold one but it would cost more than $4 to ship).[/quote]

Looks like you're still allowed to use a shipping calculator "to charge actual costs at or below the maximums or if their listings are not standard". I don't know how well the shipping calculator works, but it looks like that's what ebay wants you to use.

[quote name='evilmrhenry']Looks like you're still allowed to use a shipping calculator "to charge actual costs at or below the maximums or if their listings are not standard". I don't know how well the shipping calculator works, but it looks like that's what ebay wants you to use.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I saw that. I guess on Wii Fit you would put the packed weight in there and it would calculate "actual" cost - which is most likely BS since it wouldn't include packing material, PayPal fees on the shipping fee, etc... But it would most likely be better than $4 ;).

[quote name='io']Wow...

Anyway, glad I've ramped down my eBay stuff. I pretty much only sell to clear out junk I'm tired of looking at now.[/quote]

This is going to be the result of a colossal loss of profit for Ebay.

[quote name='Plinko']This is going to be the result of a colossal loss of profit for Ebay.[/quote]

Yep. I have no clue why Ebay thinks lowering the initial fee and raising the final fee is helping their cause.

[quote name='caedeskhan']Is that doubling of FVFs only for the first $25?[/QUOTE]

Here are all the details:

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/August2008Update/BasicFees/

Basically, for video games, it goes from 8.75% to 15% on the first $50. Then on the $50 - $1000 part it goes up from 3.5% to 5%. Heck, even the >$1000 part goes from 1.5% to 2%!

On video game systems the FVF actually went down a tiny bit on the first tier: from 8.75% to 8% on the first $50. However, they still get you because the >$50 portion goes from 3.5% to 4.5% - and given that most systems are going to be over $100 they will more than make up for the .75% decrease on the first $50.

By the way, for most other categories, the FVF on the first $50 is 12%. So for some reason they are really hammering the media sellers (books, music, DVDs, video games). Computers and Networking fees are going down to 6% though, so good news for all the big time computer resellers on eBay :roll:.

[quote name='schuerm26']
Yep. I have no clue why Ebay thinks lowering the initial fee and raising the final fee is helping their cause.[/quote]
And just like last time (didn't they just raise fees less than a year ago?) I'm more upset by the insult that they present these fee increases as a good thing for sellers by highlighting the minor decrease in listing fees and burying the HUGE increase in FVF fees within multiple levels of linkage in the article.

[quote name='io']

[/QUOTE]

This is going to piss a lot of Canadian sellers off. As it stands you can't get DC through Canada Post for less than $10. Lettermail is $1.86 + tax take 10-14 business days and has no DC or insurance. This makes selling on ebay reeeeeeally unattractive now for sellers in Canada.

Looks like I picked a good time to clear out everything extra. So these fees take effect October 1st? I hope this spells the end for them. They just screw over the sellers instead of improving things that would make more people use them. I thought Amazon's fees for selling games was 7%... or am I wrong?

Ebay is QUICKLY turning into an example of how to not run a company. They are completely abandoning the people who built ebay. It is not the customer who made ebay. It was the sellers. THe people who buy on ebay have no loyalty to ebay. THey will go ANYWHERE they can get a good deal.

Without sellers (which Ebay is quickly screwing over), there is no Ebay.

[quote name='schuerm26']Ebay is QUICKLY turning into an example of how to not run a company. They are completely abandoning the people who built ebay. It is not the customer who made ebay. It was the sellers. THe people who buy on ebay have no loyalty to ebay. THey will go ANYWHERE they can get a good deal.

Without sellers (which Ebay is quickly screwing over), there is no Ebay.[/QUOTE]

Here's the thing though.. they're building their new rules and policies around power sellers. They're no longer going to allow money orders and checks, PayPal only.

There'll still be eBay- it'll just be for buyers and power sellers.

Did anyone else get the message from Ebay tonight? I thought this was interesting... (copy/paste from the actual message)

I put a couple of things in bold/underline that caught my eye after reading the OP.

Subject: Important Seller Update: Pricing and policy changes Received: Aug-20-08

We're taking steps to give sellers the most dynamic marketplace on the Internet: reduced upfront cost, optimized exposure, and a more consistent buyer experience to drive more sales.

1. Your Auction-style listings with a low start price are still the best deal on eBay -- no change in Auction-style fees!

Plus, we're introducing a new 35¢ Insertion Fee for Fixed Price listings-regardless of the asking price or number of items in the listing-with a 30-day duration and automatic renewal option at no extra cost. For some of your items, this new Fixed Price option may be a great solution.

2. Driving more sales with a more consistent buyer experience
We're taking other steps to ensure buyers keep coming back to eBay:

* Limits on shipping and handling charges
* Big seller rewards for free shipping, including free subtitle, a boost in search results, and double PowerSeller fee discounts
* No more checks and money orders
* New seller standards: Minimum 4.3 on all DSRs

3. More relevant search results to drive more sales. We're optimizing Best Match to surface the inventory most relevant to each buyer and show the best of Auction-style and Fixed Price.

Get more information about these important changes. You're also invited to participate in one of several webinars scheduled for August 20-26.

Gah, I guess I've got to dump the rest of my unwanted stuff before September 16th! Maybe I need to make up a trade list here on CAG... :whistle2:k

bread's done
Back