Diablo 2 Battle Chest

Awesome thanks, still thinking if I should get it or not though, because I already have it, but the discs are scattered. I just wanted to have a plan to fall back on.

I was thinking about picking this up since diablo 3 got announced, I played it back in the day.
I don't remember much, but was the single player pretty lengthy. I didn't like the online, since it was just about the loot. But it was free to play online so what the hell. Do you think they'll charge a la wow? either way, I may try and find this used somewhere...

Diablo II no longer requires discs to play with the newest patch. If you can find the play disc you can copy a couple of files onto your hard drive and you'll never need the disc again.

[quote name='pacifickarma']Diablo II no longer requires discs to play with the newest patch. If you can find the play disc you can copy a couple of files onto your hard drive and you'll never need the disc again.[/quote]

hmm, my gamestop ahs alot of old pc games used, I'll see if I can jsut pick up the play disc liek you say and try it out, too bad my pc wont be able to handle diablo 3...

I installed Diablo 2 yesterday...just got done playing for about an hour. I highly recommend installing the expansion, item drops are much better.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']hmm, my gamestop ahs alot of old pc games used, I'll see if I can jsut pick up the play disc liek you say and try it out, too bad my pc wont be able to handle diablo 3...[/quote]No you need the install disc =P
I am so tempted to buy it.

I say just buy it. Diablo 2 is awesome, and you get a lot of stuff in that Battle Chest for $20 (not just the game and the expansion, but also strategy guides and a copy of the original Diablo).

I would have probably bought that as well had I not managed to pick up a copy of Diablo 2 for a dollar at a garage sale and then LoD for $10 at the Game Days sale.

Well, I have bought the full battle chest before, but just lost everything except for the startegy guide which is in horrible condition.

[quote name='LeafPanda']No you need the install disc =P
I am so tempted to buy it.[/QUOTE]

I think his point was that you only need the CDKey, then you can download the game and not need the CDs at all.

So, here's a place that sells (apparently) legit CD keys for Diablo 2 and LoD (you get both) for $5.50. But, when you register for an account, the price automatically drops by 10% in your cart, coming in at under $5. Hard to do much better than that...

http://www.g2buy.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=110&productname=

Now, you only get the CD Keys and not the discs, you say. How can you install the game? Well, the Blizzard store now allows you to DOWNLOAD the installs for Diablo 2 and LoD as long as you provide a valid CD Key. I actually tried this out myself and downloaded the installs because my Diablo discs are getting a bit old and don't work very well any more. Once you get your CD keys, go to this section of the Blizzard website:

https://www.blizzard.com/login/login.xml

Login if you already have an account or setup a new one. Then simply go to your account, click on the "Games" button, and then "Add new game". Enter in the codes you received and you'll be able to download the Mac and PC installs whenever you want. When you actually get to installing the game, make sure you click the link under your game that you added that says "View Game Key", as, for some reason, the new installs use a new key system to install and not the original keys that came on the discs.

The only other thing to note is that, for some reason, as of Saturday, these new keys (that are generated from the website, not any relation to the keys you buy from g2, as this occurred with my original CD-based keys) only work on US-West. I'm not sure if this is related to US-East needing an upgrade or what, but if you really want to use US-East, it may not be ready yet... I'll check it out again tonight. Still, for $5, this is an outstanding deal. I bought it just to have an extra set of keys, despite owning the CDs as well.

[quote name='Koggit']I think his point was that you only need the CDKey, then you can download the game and not need the CDs at all.[/quote]
Nevermind maybe he was thinking that.

[quote name='leshrac55']So, here's a place that sells (apparently) legit CD keys for Diablo 2 and LoD (you get both) for $5.50. But, when you register for an account, the price automatically drops by 10% in your cart, coming in at under $5. Hard to do much better than that...

http://www.g2buy.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=110&productname=

Now, you only get the CD Keys and not the discs, you say. How can you install the game? Well, the Blizzard store now allows you to DOWNLOAD the installs for Diablo 2 and LoD as long as you provide a valid CD Key. I actually tried this out myself and downloaded the installs because my Diablo discs are getting a bit old and don't work very well any more. Once you get your CD keys, go to this section of the Blizzard website:

https://www.blizzard.com/login/login.xml

Login if you already have an account or setup a new one. Then simply go to your account, click on the "Games" button, and then "Add new game". Enter in the codes you received and you'll be able to download the Mac and PC installs whenever you want. When you actually get to installing the game, make sure you click the link under your game that you added that says "View Game Key", as, for some reason, the new installs use a new key system to install and not the original keys that came on the discs.

The only other thing to note is that, for some reason, as of Saturday, these new keys (that are generated from the website, not any relation to the keys you buy from g2, as this occurred with my original CD-based keys) only work on US-West. I'm not sure if this is related to US-East needing an upgrade or what, but if you really want to use US-East, it may not be ready yet... I'll check it out again tonight. Still, for $5, this is an outstanding deal. I bought it just to have an extra set of keys, despite owning the CDs as well.[/quote]
I bet I could find the CD Keys thanks for the heads up

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']So, with the weekly ad, would the final price be $19.99 or $29.99?[/QUOTE]

Went to Gamestop and the game came out to $19.99. They didn't have the promotion in the computer so they added it in manually when I pointed out the ad.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']Went to Gamestop and the game came out to $19.99. They didn't have the promotion in the computer so they added it in manually when I pointed out the ad.[/quote]

Wait, so the Diablo Battle Chest is currently 19.99? I haven't seen anything on that... is it really in the ad?

Ok I lied, D2 is available as of Yesterday.

UPDATE YO TEXT, BLIZZARD!

I've seen nothing in the way of bad reviews of the G2 place, I snagged a key from there for a mule acct.

Was skeptical but have to admit the G2buy was a great way to get Diablo II and the expansion. I paid less than $5 and was able to download and install both without any trouble. I wanted to pick up at Gamestop for the $19 deal mentioned but none of my local GS had instock. So I figured what was a $5 chance at getting the games - thanks to the poster that found the G2 site.

Anyone know the turnaround time from G2Buy for a key? purchased one, it says 15 minutes to 8 hours, kind of vague? anyone with experience comment on their time?

[quote name='brizon']Anyone know the turnaround time from G2Buy for a key? purchased one, it says 15 minutes to 8 hours, kind of vague? anyone with experience comment on their time?[/quote]

Personally, my wait was about 15 minutes, maybe just a little more. I had registered my Blizzard account and my email was there. It was a reply to the paypal payment email that was sent confirming payment was made.

[quote name='demonchin']is g2buy really legit?[/quote]

IIRC: They're one of those harvesting companies that have employees slaving away at PC games level-grinding and collecting in-game items. They sell the items, gold, and pre-leveled up characters for you to buy.

I never knew they sell CD Keys, but it makes sense. They must have struck some kind of deal with the publishers of the games they harvest to have massive amounts of individual keys for all the accounts they keep...either that, or they're complete crooks :)

Funny thing is, after I went to their website, I actually recognized who they were not by the content, but by the context of their responses to people's questions. They have a strangely unique grammatical funkiness to their writing that I find hilarious. I even kept one of their ads from EGM (IIRC) before they were no longer allowed to advertise there.

I think I'll bite on the $5 download, thanks semi-OP.

UPDATE: I bit, waiting on the E-mail. "Payment successful. Thank you for choose us". I rest my case.

Whats the update Kerig? I'd like to try this. So you get a one-time discount for making a new account right? How did you pay? Credit card?

I paid with Paypal, total was about $4.91 or so, and I got the keys in an E-mail almost exactly 15 minutes after I paid.

Went back to blizzard, put the keys in, shuffled around a bit until I got the download option for both on my page and downloaded the installers for each, nice and quick...

...THEN, you have to download 1.5 gigs of data for D2 and another .5 gig for LOD :oldman:

~4 hours of downloading later and it's all installed. You do need to get the new longer-digit digital key on your blizzard games page for each. After you download the megafile, it'll pop up an official install screenbox where you enter the blizzard-generated key. (ie: you're completely done with the G2buy keys once you register them at Blizzard.com)

I have one important question that I'd really like answered: I downloaded 2 gigs of game data (the virtual CDs, I presume) from Blizzard, then upon installing it pretty much duped the 2 gigs into official game files. Q: Can I dispose of the downloaded 2gigs or do I need to keep all 4 on my computer? I'd rather just burn the DL files to a DVD and stow it away rather than keeping it on the hard drive if I don't have to, but I'm thinking it might be the CD alternative talked about earlier in the thread. (meaning it has to stay put)

EDIT: Question answered, thanks Brizon (will burn & delete today)

Overall: very easy & painless, a little shady, but worked like a charm. I tried the game out for a few minutes and it works perfectly. (though I didn't realize it's point&click interface, I thought it was more ASDF/cursor keys movement style)

Got 2 keys, one was good, one was banned from battle.net, I'll let ya know how it goes in getting a new key,

and no once its installed, you can burn the files to dvd and make some room on your pc

I, too, purchased the D2 and LOD keys at G2Buy.com and had no problems. You must have a paypal account, but those are easy to set up if you don't have one.

I think the turnaround time for my keys was like 2.5 hours, but I'm wondering if it was because I ordered mine at during "non-business hours". I placed my order just before 9pm EST and received the email with codes around 11:30PM EST.

I logged into Blizzard.com and put in the codes for both Diablo2 and LOD and both registered successfully, and allowed me to download the files from the Blizzard server.

If I have any issues installing the game, I'll post a follow up, but it's been pretty smooth for me so far.

G2Buy.com seems legit to me!

I've purchased 10+ key sets from g2buy about a year ago, they are very legit. I usually got mine within about 30 minutes, but like I said it was about a year ago.

I thought the east/west issue was all blizzard? Googling seems to show that all DL'led copies, bought at g2buy or not, were having issues going East.

Thanks everyone. I just purchased 2. Although I didn't know exactly what USWest Ladder and Non-ladder meant. I have the discs but I just needed a new CDkey because my old ones were banned. I hope this works.

Yes, what is this east/west issue?

There are shipping options of USEast, USWest, and ladder versions of those - what am i supposed to choose?

So just to be sure, if I bought the keys from G2Buy and registered them at the Blizzard Store, is there a chance they could get banned (if they really aren't legit)?

I don't think it will ever end. If I'm seeing right, they had about 350 in stock, now it's showing over 4,900...

bread's done
Back