Who here is vegetarian/vegan?

Collectordragon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I've noticed a fair number of vegans on CAG. Most gamers aren't vegan and most vegans aren't gamers so as a vegan gamer myself it's a nice surprise to see others. It got me wondering just how many vegetarians and vegans were on the site in general.

Update:
I'm happy to see so many fellow veggies on CAG so I created a CAG group for us vegetarians and vegans. If you're vegetarian or vegan and I didn't invite you send me a private message.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/group.php?groupid=44

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='diaps']i've been a vegetarian for almost 8 years now...gamer for 20[/QUOTE]

I've been a gamer for over 21+ years, vegetarian for 12+, and vegan for nearly 8.

[quote name='Collectordragon']I've been a gamer for over 21+ years, vegetarian for 12+, and vegan for nearly 8.[/quote]

trying to one up me?:)

It's comical when people bring this up, because I find the situation opposite to what you suggest- a meat-eater getting worked up at a vegetarian/vegan for not eating meat- much more common.

[quote name='rabbitt']It's comical when people bring this up, because I find the situation opposite to what you suggest- a meat-eater getting worked up at a vegetarian/vegan for not eating meat- much more common.[/QUOTE]

This is funny to me because I've always been hit up by the vegans for it. We had this one group on campus(had like, a school sponsored club), and one of the members was a friend of a person who was also a good friend of mine, and EVERY fuckING TIME we went to dinner as a group she would just be all over my case about how unhealthy it was. It was ironic because she's one of those fat gothy girls.

I guess each group thinks the opposite.

[quote name='rabbitt']It's comical when people bring this up, because I find the situation opposite to what you suggest- a meat-eater getting worked up at a vegetarian/vegan for not eating meat- much more common.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! In social situations I've been harassed about not eating meat even when I was minding my own business and not saying a thing about other people's choices.

I don't eat red meat or pork for health reasons. My fiance is a vegetarian though so in general I eat almost no meat. Don't really miss meat at all and if I never ate it again I don't think I'd care.

Reality's Fringe;4550892 said:
Which is funny because I've always been hit up by the vegans for it. We had this one group on campus(had like, a school sponsored club), and one of the members was a friend of a person who was also a good friend of mine, and EVERY fuckING TIME we went to dinner as a group she would just be all over my case about how unhealthy it was. It was ironic because she's one of those fat gothy girls.

And so you hold animosity towards an entire faction on the basis that one member (a fat goth girl, no less) of said group blasts you for your lifestyle?

Which is funny because I've always been hit up by the vegans for it. We had this one group on campus(had like, a school sponsored club), and one of the members was a friend of a person who was also a good friend of mine, and EVERY fuckING TIME we went to dinner as a group she would just be all over my case about how unhealthy it was. It was ironic because she's one of those fat gothy girls.

yeah..i think it goes both ways. i think a lot of it has to do with maturing and getting older. when you're younger, you tend to be more idealistic and think that you can change other people's beliefs by arguing and being aggressive. at least as i get older i focus on what i personally feel is right, but am more than happy to discuss these things if people are interested. i just don't push my beliefs on other people

This is funny to me because I've always been hit up by the vegans for it. We had this one group on campus(had like, a school sponsored club), and one of the members was a friend of a person who was also a good friend of mine, and EVERY fuckING TIME we went to dinner as a group she would just be all over my case about how unhealthy it was. It was ironic because she's one of those fat gothy girls.

If she's such a militant vegan why was she going out to places that serve meat in the first place?

[quote name='diaps']yeah..i think it goes both ways. i think a lot of it has to do with maturing and getting older. when you're younger, you tend to be more idealistic and think that you can change other people's beliefs by arguing and being aggressive. at least as i get older i focus on what i personally feel is right, but am more than happy to discuss these things if people are interested. i just don't push my beliefs on other people[/QUOTE]

I find that approach to be the best as well. I try to lead my life by example and not by being preachy or in your face. I find those approaches to be counterproductive.

[quote name='rabbitt']And so you hold animosity towards an entire faction on the basis that one member (a fat goth girl, no less) of said group blasts you for your lifestyle?[/QUOTE]

There's no animosity towards people who keep it to themselves. It hasn't been just one person. There was a group of them yelling at people outside of a mongolian barbeque, another two people used to sit outside a local meat-market and try to force brochures on customers (I think the police finally stopped that), that fat bitch's friends who also went to dinner at points were just HORRIFIED that I eat very little plant material (this was when I was on a ketosis-based diet for about 4 weeks to shed bodyfat. I used to be 23+%BF), another group at the Columbus food festival, and the little guy who almost cried because he saw me wearing a leather motorcycle jacket.

I'm sure people have given you shit, but the "militant vegan" thing is a most assuredly NOT a myth.

[quote name='Collectordragon']If she's such a militant vegan why was she going out to places that serve meat in the first place?[/QUOTE]

Because I refuse(d) to go to a place that serves(ed) exclusively vegetarian dishes. It was a decent compromise, she didn't have any trouble finding anything to order, and she sure pounded down the bread.

I'm not giving anyone shit about their diet; mine's very specific and narrow for slow lean-mass gains, and I get hell for it ALL the time. I don't really get onto someone's case unless they pick at me first, so if you guys aren't trying to convert people to the point where it becomes annoying and trite then it's all good.

[quote name='darthbudge']No.

I absolutely love meat. If I learned tomorrow that I couldn't eat anymore meat, I am not sure life would be worth living...[/quote]
#-o

Reality's Fringe;4550978 said:
the "militant vegan" thing is a most assuredly NOT a myth.
That's fine, but the OP clearly isn't one, nor is he looking to stir up any trouble. He's just looking for some folks he shares a common interest with.

Let's move along and talk about delicious vegetarian foods or meals.

[quote name='Collectordragon']Most gamers aren't vegan and most vegans aren't gamers[/QUOTE]

Where the hell did you get this factoid from?

I'll eat anything, and oftentimes dig on veggie/vegan food.

If there's one kind of diet-based people I DESPISE, it's tater-chip-and-french-fry vegans. Motherfuckers who have no idea how to put nutritious food in their belly, yet preach how ethical their diet is.

Besides, there's beef tallow in them thar french fries, most likely.

But that's not based on their diet as much as it is based on the idiocy of their self-love coupled with a dumbass diet.

Reality's Fringe;4550978]There's no animosity towards people who keep it to themselves. It hasn't been just one person. There was a group of them yelling at people outside of a mongolian barbeque said:
There are indeed militant vegans but there are militant meat-eaters as well.

As for refusing to go to an exclusively vegetarian place I recommend you give them a chance. I personally know many non-vegetarians who enjoy them.

Are you a body builder?

[quote name='Collectordragon']There are indeed militant vegans but there are militant meat-eaters as well.

As for refusing to go to an exclusively vegetarian place I recommend you give them a chance. I personally know many non-vegetarians who enjoy them.

Are you a body builder?[/QUOTE]

I don't really like that term because I think it's a crass generalization. It's less for aesthetics and geared more toward athletic application, but you could say it leans that way sometimes. And as for vegetarian meals, they're usually not calorie-dense enough for me in the right ways (too many carbohydrates). Nuts, however, are always awesome.

I just don't eat fat, and try to eat as little sugar as possible. What's the trendy name for my lifestyle? Nofatarian. Sounds like a weird amalgam of "Nosferatu librarian."

[quote name='Collectordragon']Easily and for me personally it's for ethical and health reasons.[/quote]

I can understand your ethical issues (I don't agree) but the health part just doesn't make sense to me - it is completely healthy to incorporate all sorts of meat into your diet (especially pork and chicken). Don't even get me started on fish (which I assume you also don't eat) - there's no way I could ever go without fish since I love it so much and it is one of the most healthy things you can put in your body (generally). Everything in moderation. To each their own I guess. :D

[quote name='mykevermin']Where the hell did you get this factoid from?

I'll eat anything, and oftentimes dig on veggie/vegan food.

If there's one kind of diet-based people I DESPISE, it's tater-chip-and-french-fry vegans. Motherfuckers who have no idea how to put nutritious food in their belly, yet preach how ethical their diet is.

Besides, there's beef tallow in them thar french fries, most likely.

But that's not based on their diet as much as it is based on the idiocy of their self-love coupled with a dumbass diet.[/QUOTE]

While I haven't done a national survey I have encountered enough vegans over the years to know that most are not gamers. This is especially true with vegan girls.

As for your off-topic diet rant I can say that I agree that not all vegan diets are healthy. I can also add that the worst offenders usually aren't actually vegan regardless of what they say. Case in point if they're eating beef tallow french fries they're not even vegetarian. On the flip-side many meat-eaters who don't even know the ingredients of the food they consume like to berate vegans for their choices.

[quote name='guinaevere']Can't we sit down at the table for a meal and not break into a fight? Just once?[/QUOTE]

I kind of figured this would happen unforunately but I thought it was worth it to try to find out who the other veggies on the site were. I've been quite curious after encountering other vegans on the site.

Although this topic is a good example that the vegetarian/vegan is usually the one being harassed. If there was a topic about people's favorite types of meats I wouldn't go into the topic at all let alone post anything negative.

Nope. I love meat and don't think I'd make it long without it.
That being said though I love fruits and vegetables. Salads are pretty great. I couldn't survive on meat alone for long.

Reality's Fringe;4551066 said:
I don't really like that term because I think it's a crass generalization. It's less for aesthetics and geared more toward athletic application, but you could say it leans that way sometimes. And as for vegetarian meals, they're usually not calorie-dense enough for me in the right ways (too many carbohydrates). Nuts, however, are always awesome.

I was using a broad definition of body building. You do know there are vegan professional athletes, right? You can adjust a vegan diet for pretty much anything. I've been adjusting mine recently in preparation for an intense fitness routine I'm going to start.

[quote name='help1']I love meat, but im sure if I actually handled meat I would be a vegetarian too.[/QUOTE]

I think that would be the case for a lot of people.

[quote name='Collectordragon']I was using a broad definition of body building. You do know there are vegan professional athletes, right? You can adjust a vegan diet for pretty much anything. I've been adjusting mine recently in preparation for an intense fitness routine I'm going to start.[/QUOTE]

There's a lot I would say to that, but it would end up sounding preachy on my part. I'll just say I hope you can meet your goals, and I honestly wish you luck.

Interesting post OP. I like meat but my Fiance and I have been trying to eat healthier so we've been eating less meat and trying vegetarian stuff. Some of it has been pretty good. I'm a big fan of legumes.

Meat is delicious so there is no way that I'm not eating it.

Although this doesn't mean that everything I eat has to be meat. Just means that I will never give up eating meat and become vegetarian/vegan.

I've been a vegetarian from my earliest memories. My parents eat meat and I've seen pictures of me eating it too. One day when I was around 3ish I stopped eating. Not sure what happened. I drank juice and ate bread for almost a year. Parents took me to different doctors but they all said I was healthy and that it was just a phase. Eventually I started to only eat veggies and fruit.

I have tried eating meat here and there, mostly because of my parents constantly trying to get me to eat it. I thought some of it was okay, but would always stop eating whatever it was after a couple weeks.

Of course, growing up a vegetarian through grade school and high school had its shares of "militant meat eaters." I agree with the OP that it was always the meat eaters that started shit with me. After years of being harassed I did become a "militant vegetarian" for a while there and that may be were that Goth girl mentioned before was coming from.

Now I lay low unless something really pushes my buttons. I don't consider myself a full vegan because I still like things like chocolate ice cream, certain breads, etc. While I can't drink milk straight I know it's in my ice cream. Yes, I know I can get other kinds but I love my Hagen Das.

Outside of a few items like that I am a Vegan and have given up leather clothing too. Next step, which will be hard and expensive, is to purchase items that are not tested on animals. Sorry, I don't think there is justifiable cause to make animals suffer and go blind just to know that it may or may not affect me in the same way. It may be harsh, but we have people on death row we can experiment on. Most of them probably deserve it anyway.

[quote name='Collectordragon']Easily and for me personally it's for ethical and health reasons.[/quote]

Ditto, emphasis on the ethics.

I've been vegetarian for 5 years and vegan for 4. November will mark 5 years of veganism.

Best decision I ever made.

My roommate is hardcore vegan, no honey, no milk, no eggs, no cheese, no nothing. It's kind of a pain because one of the best perks of having a roommate is food is cheaper to buy in bulk and split the cost. I used to make fun of her for it all the time until I saw this, now I'm slowly cutting back on meat. I only eat white meat now, sparingly, and only if it's organic & free range.

bread's done
Back