Chrono Trigger DS Thread - E3 Impressions Post #272

MarkMan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
http://chronotrigger.jp updated !

---

Chrono Trigger DS
has been announced! Young Jump has announced that an 'enhanced' port of the classic Super Nintendo dream team RPG will finally make it's first noise since 8 years ago (Chrono Cross' release). You can check out the teaser site here.

---

[quote name='OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE'] CHRONO TRIGGER Returns! The Timeless Classic Teleports to Nintendo DS This Holiday Season

LOS ANGELES, CA USA
Journey Through Time with the RPG Masterpiece that Started It All

LOS ANGELES, July 2 /PRNewswire/ — Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of Square Enix(TM) interactive entertainment products in North America, announced today that it will release CHRONO TRIGGER(R) in North America this Holiday season. Remastered exclusively for Nintendo DS(TM), this marks the first time that the groundbreaking RPG will be available on a handheld console.

Originally released in 1995 on Super NES(R) and shipping more than 2.5 million copies worldwide, CHRONO TRIGGER has been hailed as one of the greatest games of all time by critics and fans alike. With a unique and multifaceted storyline, the game revolutionized the world of RPGs with
never-before-seen features, including an unprecedented soundtrack and multiple endings determined by side quests and the player's actions.

With artwork by famed manga artist Akira Toriyama and an unprecedented and inspiring musical score created by Yasunori Mitsuda, CHRONO TRIGGER represents the best-in-class of the video game world. This newly revamped edition maintains all of the game's original elements and spirit while
introducing the portability, dual-screen presentation and Touch-Screen functionality of Nintendo DS. Players will soon be able to rediscover the exhilarating RPG experience, breathtaking storyline and innovative gameplay in the palm of their hands.

STORY

When a newly developed teleportation device malfunctions at the Millennial Fair, young Crono must travel through time to rescue his misfortunate companion from an intricate web of past and present perils. The swashbuckling adventure that ensues soon unveils an evil force set to destroy the world, triggering Crono's race against time to change the course of history and bring about a brighter future.

FEATURES

— A masterpiece with an engaging and unparalleled storyline, leading to the discovery of multiple epic conclusions to a journey that transcends time

— An unprecedented and inspiring musical score created by Yasunori Mitsuda

— Intriguing battle system made possible by the unique combination of the Active Time Battle system and Tech skills

— Famed character designer Akira Toriyama lends his signature art style to create the vibrant world that has captivated gamers around the world

— Taking advantage of the Nintendo DS hardware, CHRONO TRIGGER makes its way onto the portable platform with all-new dual screen presentation and Touch-Screen functionality

— A brand new dungeon and a Wireless Play mode adds exciting new dimensions to this timeless classic

CHRONO TRIGGER has not yet been rated. Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board website at http://www.esrb.org for more information about ratings. The official website can be found at
http://na.square-enix.com/ctds.[/quote]

---

- Game features a new dungeon
- Wifi play features

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a remake or a port? Strangely, I'm hoping that it's both...somehow. I can't wait for this!

Edit: I was so excited that I did not read the OP.

This is great, Square has really gotten my attention lately, with FF IV remake, FFT A2 and now this

I've been hoping for this for a long time.

Hopefully they'll use the original SNES graphics. I don't really want to see Chrono Trigger with the Final Fantasy III/IV engine.

[quote name='Vigilante']O_______________________________________O

*faints*

*recovers then looks at teaser site again*

*re-faints*[/quote]

*Does this for about 10 more times until he realizes he will play it when it comes out.*

The GBA Final Fantasy ports were 'enhanced' ports.

Based on the Young JUMP article, CTDS will also be an enhanced port. Don't expect anything like Final Fantasy IV DS :(

!

According to medical professionals, the amount of time I've had a boner about this news is a potential health risk and I should seek help immediately.

I've never played Chrono Trigger, and some of my friends insist it's the best game evar, so I'm really looking forward to this. Clearly, I don't think I'm as excited as those of you who've already played it; I'm sure my friends will be happy to hear about this.

Well now I know why you have such a sad looking avatar, TrippaJay. That's how I'd look if I'd never played Chrono Trigger.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']What was wrong with FFIII?[/quote]
I agree, FFIII is one of my favorite DS games

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I've never played Chrono Trigger, and some of my friends insist it's the best game evar, so I'm really looking forward to this. Clearly, I don't think I'm as excited as those of you who've already played it; I'm sure my friends will be happy to hear about this.[/quote]
It is an amazing game, better than all the FF games. I lost my PS1 copy a long time ago :(

Totally unexpected!

/sarcasm

We all knew Square was going to do this eventually, you know with their bitchy attitude about releasing these games on the VC. Why sell it for $8.00 when you can sell it for $30.00!

Whatever, as long as it's "Enhanced" and not just a port I'm game.

I never really understood what people love so much about the game. Very short and easy game involving time travel featuring a dozen (now doubled, apparently) endings. So what?

I do like the game, but many people think it's the best on the SNES, and put up against Zelda OoT and FFVII as the best game of all time. I just don't see where they're coming from. Maybe because I only first played it a few years ago on an emulator...

I will be looking forward to the port, however.

[quote name='Axersia']I never really understood what people love so much about the game.[/quote]

A great game engine with no random battle encounters. That pretty much does it for me.

Is it odd that my favorite memory of this game was Chrono and Frog's Cross Slash?

Combo attacks were the sickest shit back in the day.

[quote name='yukine']We all knew Square was going to do this eventually, you know with their bitchy attitude about releasing these games on the VC. Why sell it for $8.00 when you can sell it for $30.00!
[/QUOTE]

lol $30. This is Square Enix. $40 at least.

[quote name='pete5883']lol $30. This is Square Enix. $40 at least.[/quote]

They could charge $50 and I doubt it would impact sales. I just hope they include the FMV from the PS1 release because I've never played that version.

I can't wait. I missed out on the SNES version (didn't pay too much attention when going back via emulator), couldn't bear the PSX verison loading times. I can't wait to give this game correct attention.

[quote name='yukine']

Whatever, as long as it's "Enhanced" and not just a port I'm game.[/quote]

You mean to tell me that you wouldn't throw down 30-40 dollars for a copy of Chrono Trigger on the DS? You crazy, man.

"Enhanced" could mean keeping the same graphics, but using the touch screen to select which move you want to use and whatnot. It might not actually get a graphical overhaul.

I don't understand why people are excited over paying for the same game over and over?

I thought this was Cheap Ass Gamer?

PSP + CFW + CT = Win

And I'm sure glad Nintendo are revolutionising gaming like they promised with ....how many SNES game remakes have there been announced in the last year? Five?

Bold, original new strategy!

Bonus dungeon, and "wireless play" - maybe some local co-op possibility?

That's the enhancement according to Jump.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']I don't understand why people are excited over paying for the same game over and over?

I thought this was Cheap Ass Gamer?

PSP + CFW + CT = Win

And I'm sure glad Nintendo are revolutionising gaming like they promised with ....how many SNES game remakes have there been announced in the last year? Five?

Bold, original new strategy![/quote]Oh, I get it, this is another one of those original posts where cheap = illegal (yes, I've played plenty of ROMs, but if we're going to argue that the cheapest way to get any game is to pirate it, then why buy any game?)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='yukine']Totally unexpected!

/sarcasm

We all knew Square was going to do this eventually, you know with their bitchy attitude about releasing these games on the VC. Why sell it for $8.00 when you can sell it for $30.00!

Whatever, as long as it's "Enhanced" and not just a port I'm game.[/QUOTE]

QFT. Well, except for the $30 part. $35 at least, and don't be surprised if it's $40.

I suppose I should be more excited about this (CT being one of my favorite games and all), but... meh. More than willing to wait for price drops, and would've much rather had a non-enhanced version on VC to begin with.

[quote name='Fragonard']I just filled the cup.[/quote]

VERY Nice "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" reference FTW!!! :applause:

bread's done
Back